Question:

From Sedalia, Missouri, USA:

My 16-year-old son plays soccer and runs track. During soccer season, he had significant knots in his thigh quad muscle. He is now running track and has the same thing in the other leg. The two physical therapists visited today and wonder if this has something to do with his diabetes. They suggested that I call the doctor to see if this is something they have heard about. The thought was that the insulin injections damage the fascia in the thigh and then it breaks down in spots where the muscle then knots up. I will contact the endocrine office this week but was interested to see if you knew anything about this.

Answer:

I'm sorry that I will be unable to be too helpful without seeing these "knots" and knowing how many, how big, how deep, change in color, degree of discomfort, etc. Your own diabetes team members will be more helpful, I hope.

Having said that, the theory put forth by your therapists does not hold a lot of water for me.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Exercise and Sports

Last Updated: Thursday March 29, 2012 16:58:04