Question:

From St.. Charles County, Missouri:

My child was 11 years old when diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Within a one year period, he was diagnosed with a mood disorder (major depression) and ADHD, the inattention type known as ADD. Before being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, there were never any signs of emotional or mental issues. However, there were learning disabilities in written expression and math that he has had since starting school, and cognitive issues his entire life. I, his mother, had gestational diabetes and had to use extreme amounts of insulin, two full syringes per day and still had difficulties with glucose control while being on a strict diet that I followed. Only once I had a sugar attack where I ate many chocolates and, afterwards, the guilt was almost unbearable. Are there any studies that have shown that the outcomes for children born to gestational mothers who used large amounts of insulin, but where glucose control was still difficult, were difficulties like the ones I describe my child as having above? Are there any studies in which my child's records can be included?

Answer:

It does not sound like the difficulties in your child are related to your gestational diabetes. Unless your child, as a newborn, was born prematurely or was small-for-gestational age or had some other neonatal problems, then those other problems could be related to learning difficulties - but not to the depression and mood disorder your are describing and not to your child's then developing diabetes. Most importantly, you should discuss this question with your child's diabetes team so that they can provide a more specific answer since they will know your specific history as well as the details of your child's situation.

Posted to Other and Gestational Diabetes