Question:

From Bay City, Michigan, USA:

Is it possible my 12-year-old daughter has a sensitivity to insulin? She has had ongoing problems since her diagnosis in April 2012 - extreme edema/distended stomach (switched insulin types three times), had to have physical therapy to "strength" her lower extremities and still can't walk or run like she did a year ago, and the rapid growth of cataracts requiring Lasik surgery in the next couple of months. She didn't have any of these problems and had perfect vision until she started taking insulin injections upon diagnosis. I do have a complete medical "journal" typed up on her and realize that you don't have time to look it over, but it will help explain what I'm talking about. I'm not looking for a diagnosis online, rather someone who thinks they can or knows someone who can help us.

Answer:

It's possible but unlikely related to insulin. Your question and comments make me ask about associated problems like celiac disease, Addison's disease, thyroid dysfunction, liver and kidney diseases. A lot would also depend upon A1c levels, day to day glycemic variability, and carbohydrate counting skills.I would usually refer you back to your diabetes team to problem solve and, if all these are already tested and negative, then suggest consideration for an insulin pump with continuous glucose monitoring to get optimal feedback. We sometimes lend out CGMS to help better balance food and insulin as well even without an insulin pump. Certainly, what you are describing is very unusual and not normal so, I would agree with continuing to press for answers.

Posted to Insulin and Other

Last Updated: Wednesday October 31, 2012 09:09:56