Question:

From Chester Springs, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 16-year-old son checks his blood sugar only once or twice a day. He refuses to upload his numbers from the pump, get blood work or talk to me about his diabetes. If I punish him for not checking his blood sugar, he stays in his room and refuses to go to school.

Answer:

Your son’s behaviors suggest that he is struggling with a great deal more than diabetes. His choice of neither caring for his own diabetes nor allowing you to care for it is potentially life-threatening. Therefore, it is of the utmost importance that you contact either your pediatrician or your child’s diabetes team (or both) and receive referrals for a psychiatric evaluation. Please obtain this evaluation as soon as is possible.

JWB

Posted to Behavior and Mental Health

Last Updated: Wednesday March 27, 2013 10:56:52