Question:

From Pakistan:

I am 23 and have just been diagnosed with diabetes. Both of my parents and my older brother have type 2. Is my diabetes hereditary? Is it curable?

Answer:

I would consider both type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes chronic diseases. At this point, they are not curable, but they are treated and managed for a lifetime. The treatment for type 1 diabetes is insulin replacement. The treatment for type 2 diabetes is a healthy lifestyle. Do not smoke. Lose weight if you are obese. Use appropriate oral medications or insulin to control blood sugars. Get a timely follow-up with your physician.

I am interested to know whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes. You have a very strong family history that favors type 2 diabetes over type 1 diabetes. If you are overweight, this also is in favor of type 2 diabetes. However, if you are thin, you may have a form of type 1 diabetes. If this is so, I would recommend you have your physician draw a blood test called anti-GAD antibody. This test is positive in type 1 diabetes and negative in type 2 diabetes.

Posted to Type 2 and Diagnosis and Symptoms

Last Updated: Tuesday June 04, 2013 16:45:28