Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team
Question:

From Westwood, Massachussetts, USA:

I've had type 1 diabetes since 1960, nearly 53 years. Since 1979, I've been a vegetarian, first ovo-lacto, but now I prefer to eat more raw/organic foods, only gluten-free bread if I eat any bread at all, only grains like quinoa, sprouted grains, if I eat any grains at all. I try to have a green smoothie almost every day (almond milk, vegetarian protein powder, fish oil, chia seeds, fruit, lots of kale and other greens) and have it late morning to early afternoon. I occasionally have nut butters and nuts but not very much at all. I don't do dairy/eggs. Occasionally, I'll have clarified butter on gluten-free toast. I'll use olive oil, coconut oil, pumpkin seed oil, etc. on my steamed vegetables, and or salads. I dilute my fruit juices most of the time.

At my current workplace, I am very active, being a cashier. On my days off, I am much more sedentary except for one-half hour treadmill walks two times a week.

I am trying to work with Humulin N/Humulin R, (4 units of Regular in the morning combined with 18 units of NPH), and 5 units of Humulin NPH in the evening. Occasionally, I'll add one-half a unit of Humulin Regular at dinnertime depending upon what I eat.

But I also have long-term gastroparesis, which throws a monkey wrench into dosing, and my blood sugars are not even/steady. Since I'm also a Type A personality, I am adding in massage and acupuncture to help. What else can I do to improve my control?

Here's some specific data:

Date Time Blood Sugar Action
September 29 8:30 a.m. 133 mg/dl [7.4 mmol/L] 4 R, 18 N, toast, tahini and juice all day
6:30 p.m. 175 mg/dl [9.8 mmol/L] 1 R, 5 N
11:30 p.m. unknown 0.5 R
September 30 8:03 a.m. 98 mg/dl [5.4 mmol/L] 4 R, 18 N
unknown unknown salmon, rice and broccoli for lunch (had two chia bars, acai juice and two maple candies when felt low
6:30 p.m. 59 mg/dl [3.3 mmol/L] none
October 6 8:37 a.m. 179 mg/dl [9.9 mmol/L 5 R, 19 N
12:36 p.m. 213 mg/dl [11.8 mmol/L] unknown
1:50 p.m. 143 mg/dl [7.9 mmol/L] unknown
5:22 p.m. 95 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L] unknown
10:43p.m. 447 mg/dl [24.8 mmol/L] 3 R, 1 H

Answer:

The NPH is harder to use with its peak at 8 to 10 hours. Regular insulin is even more difficult to use. Regular insulin has to be given 30 to 45 minutes before meals and it lasts much longer than the other short-acting insulin analogs. This means that a dose of Regular insulin given at a late night supper can still hang around into the night while the person is sleeping and potentiate low blood sugars.

JTL

[Editor's comment: Please be sure to continue to work with your endocrinologist about your regimen. He/she knows your medical history in more detail, what other medications you may be taking, etc. BH]

DTQ-20130930203218
Original posting 23 Oct 2013
Posted to Daily Care and Complications

Home Return to Top

Last Updated: Wednesday October 23, 2013 21:15:27
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.