From River Edge, New Jersey, USA:

Based on user experience, can you advise us about which pump we should get for our five-year-old son? I need one that is both easy for the parent and reliable. For insurances purposes, we need to make a decision before the end of the year.

There are many factors that come into play when choosing an insulin pump, including:

1. Does your diabetes team have experience with the pump? If not, are they willing to learn a new pump?
  2. Do you get along with the local pump company representative? Should your pump have problems, your local representative can be a big help.
  3. Does the pump have the features that are important to you, such as low basal rates, remote bolusing, cartridge size, lock-out, etc.? Only you can determine which pump features matter the most to you right now, and know that the specific feature set might change over time.

I always recommend that families new to insulin pump therapy take time to meet with the representatives of each pump company and learn about the pros and cons of each pump before making a decision.

Posted to Insulin Pumps

Last Updated: Tuesday December 31, 2013 15:24:28