From West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA:

My college-aged child will be studying abroad in the UK for six months starting in January 2014. For what kind of diabetes support, supplies, difficulties should we prepare? She uses an insulin pump.

Diabetes care in the UK is very good. The only issue is how to access them. I would recommend you and your child go through the sponsoring agency to determine if pharmaceutical services can be accessed. In addition, your child would need the guarantee that they have access to a physician with the knowledge to take care of a patient with type 1 diabetes on an insulin pump. If it is a university or college, they may already have these support structures in place. Other possibilities exist. For instance, you could mail the supplies when needed. I would see if your child can take a large store of insulin with her and would then have time to procure what is needed or arrange for a shipment if it cannot be obtained locally. Since geography is everything, knowing who and where the services are located are critical. Forward planning is necessary.

Last Updated: Tuesday December 31, 2013 15:24:28