Question:

From Pune, India:

I am 28 and was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My parents do not have it. My testosterone levels are free 2.15 and total 225, which are very low. Is this why I have diabetes? What kind of doctor should I consult?

Answer:

Low testosterone is commonly present in men with type 2 diabetes. Therefore, every man with type 2 diabetes should be screened for hypogonadism at least once. It is not necessarily the case that the low testosterone is the cause for diabetes. Some people believe, however, that treating the low testosterone will have metabolic benefits in treating the diabetes. In addition, it may help with the ability to have erections, although this is not always the case either. It is recommended that you see a specialist in endocrinology/diabetes for more recommendations related to your medical problems.

Posted to Type 2 and Diagnosis and Symptoms

Last Updated: Tuesday December 31, 2013 19:18:07