Question:

From Cairo, Egypt:

Now 22, my son has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 8. Since he is putting on a little weight, he wants to take fat burner tablets. I am afraid that it will affect his sugar levels. I really need your opinion as he is insisting on taking them to lose weight. If it has no harm to his diabetes, is there a brand you recommend? I have my sister in the states who can buy it and send it for him in Egypt.

Answer:

Fat burner tablets are too good to be true. There is no good data from randomized control trials that they work successfully. They are sold as nutritional supplements. The best way to lose weight is to exercise, eat a healthy diet, and work with his doctor to make sure his insulin dose is adjusted appropriately.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

Last Updated: Wednesday March 26, 2014 20:18:27

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.