Question:

From Latham, New York, USA:

I have been diagnosed with anemia caused by eating a mainly vegetarian diet. My doctor completed a metabolic panel and my results included a GFR >60, BUN 7 and Creatinine 0.6 with a ratio of 11:1. I know these numbers are low, but don't know if this indicates diabetes-related kidney problems. Microalbumin tests have always been negative. If my levels start to rise as the anemia gets corrected, is there a risk that the rising levels will show further kidney damage?

Answer:

The usual reason for anemia with a vegetarian diet is the lack of eating foods that have iron in them. It sounds like your kidney function is good. You could take a supplement or work on eating green, leafy foods, such as spinach, that have iron in them. The connection between kidney disease and anemia is usually related to end-stage kidney disease. In this case, the kidney fails to make a hormone called erytyropoietin that stimulates red blood cell production in the bone marrow. It does not work the other way where anemia induces kidney dysfunction.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

Last Updated: Tuesday July 15, 2014 20:12:58

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.