Question:

From Iran:

My 11 year old nephew, who's had type 1 for about seven years with good control (A1cs around 7) has been having burps for about six months. I'm concerned. Could it be gastroparesis? How would we know? Is there a test or something to find out if this is what he has?

Answer:

It is not likely gastroparesis with such a short duration with diabetes. Lactose intolerance and celiac disease are both common co-existing gas producing situations (burping, passing gas, belly aches) so these should be discussed with the diabetes team.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

Last Updated: Wednesday April 08, 2015 15:03:48

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.