Question:

From USA:

My teen daughter is a year-round soccer player, training every day for several hours. During games, she experiences severe calf cramps, requiring her removal from the game until they subside. Is this because she metabolizes things differently as a diabetic or just a regular overuse, not-stretching-enough issue?

Answer:

I would try keeping hydrated, stretching, and having enough electrolytes (calcium, sodium, potassium - bananas, sports drinks, etc.). If her blood sugars are running high (above 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]), that can lead to cramping.

There is a lot we do not know about causes of cramps, with diabetes or not.

RP

Posted to Aches and Pains and Exercise and Sports

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

Last Updated: Wednesday October 28, 2015 18:25:45

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.