Question:

From Montreal, Quebec, Canada:

I have an eight-year-old daughter with type 1 diabetes. How do you children manage taking their sugar levels at school? The principle of the school asked me to buy a type of smart watch with the an alarm with the specific times she needs to take her levels, to make her more responsible, and not have to depend on the adults to take it. I don't feel comfortable giving all that responsibility to such a young child. The school has never had a student with diabetes. How does it work in other schools?

Answer:

You may find it useful to review School intervention protocol for students with Type 1 diabetes, Quebec’s protocol for children with type 1 diabetes. If you prefer, a more comprehensive document is available in French, Protocole d’intervention en milieu scolaire pour les élèves atteints de diabète de type 1. Please ensure that all the supports offered under the province’s policy are in place for your daughter.

The Diabetes at School website has information and links that you may find helpful, especially the Individual Care Plan. Please refer the school's principal and other staff about the site's Video Series, and read the information on Managing type 1 diabetes: What can children do?. Lastly, you may wish to look into FRED (Fondation Ressources pour les Enfants Diabetiques. FRED should be able to provide any additional assistance.

Elizabeth Moreau
info@cps.ca

BH

Posted to School and Daycare and Blood Tests and Insulin Injections

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Friday December 14, 2018 13:31:20

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.