Back to the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Dec 18 | Nov 18 | Oct 18 | Sep 18 | Aug 18 | Jul 18 | Jun 18 | More... | Submit Question ]

The most recent questions: Subscribe to the DTeam Questions via RSS

1. My toddler drinks and urinates a lot. She also perspires heavily. Should I have her tested for diabetes? (12 Dec 2018)

2. I am a school nurse and have a student who has been "sneaking food" and lying about it. Do you have any advice how to educate him about the dangers of this behavior? (29 Nov 2018)

3. In addition to diabetes and celiac, my son has an allergy to peanuts and three antibiotics. Despite vaccinations, he has not developed immunity. Have you heard of this before? I am planning to discuss this with an immunologist. (1 Nov 2018)

4. After she had various symptoms, I was told to monitor my daughter's blood sugar levels, which have varied, with increases after eating. The hospital suggested ketotic hypoglycaemia, but is it possible she has early type 1 diabetes? We are waiting for antibody test results. (28 Oct 2018)

5. My daughter had an elevated blood sugar that was determined to be caused by a bladder infection. But, we were given a meter to check her any way. At home, she has had both highs and lows, but is asymptomatic for diabetes. What is your opinion? (11 Oct 2018)

6. Diagnosed at age three, my older teen has necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum. Is it related to blood sugars? Are there any new therapies to improve or eradicate it? (2 Oct 2018)

7. Just after her diagnosis with diabetes, my daughter began to have involuntary jerks of her upper body. She is non-verbal, unable to explain what she is experiencing. What might be causing them? (28 Aug 2018)

8. My young daughter has some diabetes symptoms, including slightly elevated blood sugars, fruity breath, and sweet smelling urine. These symptoms first occurred during an illness two years ago, but they passed. What are your thoughts? (27 Aug 2018)

9. For my teen son, meal boluses via his pump lead to high blood sugars, which do not occur if he injects insulin using a flex pen. Why is there such a difference? (8 Aug 2018)

10. Our specialist has suggested Toujeo for our eight-year-old, but it looks like it has not been tested in children. What are the consequences of using it? What is a better alternative? (25 Jul 2018)

11. My granddaughter seems to be using too much insulin, cannot get a refill. Her doctor has said she uses too much insulin. I am trying to understand more about diabetes. Why does it matter how many carbohydrates she consumes if the insulin covers it? (6 Jul 2018)

12. My young teen daughter's eyebrows are thinning. How can we help them grow? Is this because of her diabetes? (13 Mar 2018)

13. Does infusion site location affect the delivery of insulin? My daughter just had a weekend of lows after moving her pump site from her arm to her abdomen. (13 Mar 2018)

14. My teen daughter has been drinking and urinating a lot for about a month. Her A1c was 42, which I read was pre-diabetes. Should I be concerned that it could it be diabetes? (31 Jan 2018)

15. Following an illness, my daughter's blood sugar has been variable at home. She tested negative for antibodies. What could be causing her erratic blood sugars? (17 Jan 2018)

16. My daughter has been on a limited sugar diet at the recommendation of a clinic. Her blood sugars are often in the 70s mg/dl [3.9 to 4.4 mmol/L], but she has been over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] as well. Three doctors will not refer her to an endocrinologist. What do you suggest? (23 Dec 2017)

17. Both my dad and I have type 1. Though asymptomatic, my toddler daughter seems to have blood sugar spikes with certain foods, such as grapes. She is overweight. Is her weight causing the spikes? Should I be concerned that she is showing signs of type 1? What should I do? (24 Aug 2017)

18. Despite following a low carbohydrate diet, my granddaughter's blood sugars are consistently elevated. Could she be insulin resistant? (24 Aug 2017)

19. Our adult daughter, whose diabetes has been described, as "different," has roller coaster blood sugars and will not take advice about how to have better blood sugar management. What do you recommend we do to help her? (24 Aug 2017)

20. My toddler has had excessive thirst and urination, but urine and blood tests were normal. I am concerned due to a family history of diabetes. What do you think? (13 Jul 2017)

21. My daughter has developed hives at her pump sites. Neither the allergist nor the endocrinologist has any advice. What do you suggest? (17 May 2017)

22. Should we be dosing for the antibiotic our daughter is taking for a sinus infection? Her blood sugar has been elevated despite adjusting her insulin to carbohydrate ratio. (26 Mar 2017)

23. My daughter's school keeps marking her absences "unexcused" when she is out ill or is sent home with high blood sugars. Are they allowed to do this? (14 Mar 2017)

24. I have one daughter with type 1 and one with JIA and Ehler-Danlos. I have PCOS and their father has hemochromatosis. Should I have my second daughter's GAD tested? Is she at higher risk for type 1 diabetes? (14 Mar 2017)

25. I've had type 1 for 19 years. I have developed posterior subcapsular cataract in both eyes. How long until this affects my vision? Are the results of cataract surgery for people with diabetes generally favorable in the absence of diabetic retinopathy? (14 Mar 2017)

26. My grandson had a seizure in the middle of the night that scared us all. How do we prevent this from happening again? I cannot sleep, fear a repeat incident. (14 Mar 2017)

27. Just diagnosed, my teen daughter's blood work indicated high GAD, extremely high Anti-thyroid Peroxidase AB and high Thyroglobulin. Are these related to type 1 or some other disease? (15 Feb 2017)

28. After unusual consumption of water, I took my daughter to the doctor. Her urine was positive for glucose, but her A1c was fine. She is scheduled to be re-checked in June. Should I be concerned or just wait until then? (15 Feb 2017)

29. At the hospital, my young daughter's blood sugar was 11 mmol/L [200 mg/dl] with 0.5 ketones. The nurse was not concerned about diabetes, but I am. Can dehydration cause a high blood glucose with ketones? (10 Jan 2017)

30. Are there any heart tests or scans that can be done to detect the presence of plaque or hardened arteries, in neck or heart? (9 Jan 2017)

How to Submit a Question

Use the Question Submission Form to submit a question to the Diabetes Team.

If you want information about an individual situation, please include the age of the child or teenager, or if an adult, whether the person is a young adult, middleager, or senior citizen. Also, indicate the type of diabetes (Type 1 or 2) and let us know about how long the diabetes has been diagnosed.

A valid e-mail address must be included with your question. We cannot answer questions submitted without an e-mail address. If you want other readers to be able to send you e-mail about your question, let us know and we'll include your email address in the answer.

Remember, answers given will be answered in general terms for the benefit of all our readers, and therefore may not specifically give medical information that will directly apply to your situation (See our Disclaimer).

Before you submit your question, please check the index of previous questions to see if we've already answered your question.

Questions may be edited for space and clarity.

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts

Back to the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Wednesday December 12, 2018 14:24:30

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.