Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.
- In 2009, my daughter, who has two siblings with type 1, tested negative for antibodies, but recently had a random high blood sugar and has tested positive for GAD-65. Will she definitely develop diabetes? (23 Jul 2015)
- For the past few years, my teen son hash ad extreme muscle pain and tightness the day after exercise. Is this a side effect of Lantus or something else diabetes-related? What do you recommend? (23 Jul 2015)
- My fasting and post dinner blood sugars are elevated. I take Actrapid and Insulatard. Can you advise me about what I should do? (1 Jul 2015)
- Our son will be attending robotics camp for 21 days. We check him overnight. How should we accomplish this at camp? Should the nurse be asked to do this? We are worried about an overnight low. (17 Jun 2015)
- The endocrinologist recommended my son use mini-glucagon to help maintain his blood sugars during a 3 mile run. Is this the best way to prevent a low? He usually reduces his basal insulin and consumes extra carbohydrates, but still goes low. (20 May 2015)
- During an endoscopy, the doctor determined that I might have gastroparesis. What can you tell me about this condition and its therapy? (5 May 2015)
- We have tried various methods, but our daughter continues to have a rash from the DexCom adhesive. What do you suggest? (5 May 2015)
- After seven years with diabetes, my nephew has been burping often for six months. Does this indicate he has gastroparesis? (8 Apr 2015)
- Twice, my daughter has experienced stomach pains/cramps after eating. Her blood sugar was not elevated and she had no ketones. Could it have been dehydration? Is such pain common for those with diabetes? (8 Apr 2015)
- My child may be at high risk for MODY5. Can you help me understand what this means? I have type 1; could I possibly have MODY5? (5 Apr 2015)
- Our daughter, diagnosed in December 2014, complains of much physical pain and behaves very poorly, with tantrums if things don't go her way. Is this related to diabetes? (31 Mar 2015)
- My recently diagnosed son has yellow stools. Is this common for those with diabetes? (17 Mar 2015)
- Is it normal for a child with diabetes to experience shaking of his/her body with his/her eyes rolled back? (14 Mar 2015)
- My son was put on lisinopril for a few positive microalbumin levels; how long will this medication take to bring the levels down? (11 Feb 2015)
- My college aged son has developed several cysts and A1c has gone up over 8. Is there a relationship between the cysts and his higher A1c? Are the cysts a sign of infection or cancer? Are they anything urgent? (28 Jan 2015)
- Diagnosed nine years ago, my daughter seems to be suffering from diabetes burnout, does not want to discuss it, seems sad at times. How can I help her? (28 Jan 2015)
- If a child is on an insulin pump, would they be on an unrestricted diet, meaning that they can eat anything in any quantity and not have complications? (12 Jan 2015)
- After a bout with strep a few weeks ago, my teen daughter has been having recurrent lows, despite decreasing her insulin. Various tests have been normal. What else could be causing the lows? (11 Dec 2014)
- Diagnosed with type 1 in July, our teen daughter is experiencing recurring headaches. We moved recently and she changed schools, but we do not think she is that stressed. What are we missing? (12 Nov 2014)
- My 10-year-old son has a "dirty neck," which I suspect is acanthrosis nigricans. I have type 1. He has inflammatory issues. I have been advised to take him to a pediatric endocrinologist for tests. What is your opinion? (10 Nov 2014)
- Diagnosed at 11 months, should my son have testing for the Kir6.2 mutation? What type of insulin should he be getting? Should we consider a pump or stick with injections? How can I continue to breastfeed him? (17 Sep 2014)
- At times, my son feels lethargic and vomits. His blood sugar goes up some if he is able to eat. When it drops, he also gets sick. Does he have diabetic tendencies? Should I have him seen by an endocrinologist? (27 Aug 2014)
- Over the past few years, my teen daughter has become overweight. She wants her doctor to prescribe Victoza for weight loss. Is this an appropriate medication for a teen with type 1? (27 Aug 2014)
- I use an OmniPod. When I bolus, I feel slight pain. Is this normal? (27 Aug 2014)
- I recently had a complete metabolic panel that anemia and low kidney function numbers. If my levels start to rise as the anemia gets corrected, is there a risk that the rising levels will show further kidney damage? (15 Jul 2014)
- To stop fainting episodes when menstruating, my daughter was put on an oral contraceptive, whichl causes high blood sugars and weight gain. Is this a common phenomenon? Is there any other way to alleviate severe menstrual symptoms? And, are there long term hazards of being on the pill too long? (15 Jul 2014)
- My daughter is going to Europe. What apps are there for her to use for carbohydrate counting? Is there an app to convert the measurements, whatever they are, to grams? (15 Jul 2014)
- Because she has been lethargic and not herself, I checked my daughter's blood sugars several times recently. She has been as high as 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/l]. The doctor did not check her blood sugar, blamed hormones for her lethargy. Should I consider taking her to the Emergency Room? (11 Jul 2014)
- At diagnosis, eight months ago, my daughter's uric acid level was 175. It is now elevated, 517. What should we do? (16 Jun 2014)
- After my dentist put me on methylphenidate, my blood sugars were very high so I am not taking another dose. What would have caused the high? What do you recommend? (14 May 2014)
How to Submit a QuestionUse the Question Submission Form to submit a question to the Diabetes Team.
If you want information about an individual situation, please include the age of the child or teenager, or if an adult, whether the person is a young adult, middleager, or senior citizen. Also, indicate the type of diabetes (Type 1 or 2) and let us know about how long the diabetes has been diagnosed.
A valid e-mail address must be included with your question. We cannot answer questions submitted without an e-mail address. If you want other readers to be able to send you e-mail about your question, let us know and we'll include your email address in the answer.
Remember, answers given will be answered in general terms for the benefit of all our readers, and therefore may not specifically give medical information that will directly apply to your situation (See our Disclaimer).
Before you submit your question, please check the index of previous questions to see if we've already answered your question.
Questions may be edited for space and clarity.
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)
And Our Occasional Experts
Last Updated: Thursday July 23, 2015 14:02:46
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.