Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.
- Just diagnosed, my adult son takes insulin for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but what should he do for evening/dinner insulin if he has a late breakfast and lunch, skips dinner? (21 Sep 2016)
- If a Lantus injection were injected directly into a vein, could the Lantus start working immediately and cause a person to go low? (1 Sep 2016)
- Working in a pizza place, our teen son is not hungry after work and is having overnight lows. Should he find a different job? (25 Aug 2016)
- My daughter had elevated blood sugars when at the ER three times for kidney infections, but testing was negative. Could she be in the early stages of type 1? (18 Jul 2016)
- My wife believes that type 1 "goes sideways" genetically, that because her siblings have it, she is a carrier of the disease. Is this correct? (4 Jun 2016)
- My nephew's blood sugar drops very low for a couple of days, then goes up, so he needs insulin. Tests have not explained why he has this repeating pattern. What are your thoughts? (5 May 2016)
- My daughter's C-peptide has gone up since diagnosis and she was negative for antibodies. Could she have type 2 or MODY? (19 Apr 2016)
- Diagnosed last August, my son was negative for antibodies, is now off all insulin. Can you tell me your thoughts about the doctor's recent recommendations? (12 Apr 2016)
- Tests indicate my son has MODY 5. He has been on Humalog, is supposed to start on Lantus. What is the treatment for MODY 5? It seems very few people know. (20 Mar 2016)
- When diagnosed with type B flu, my daughter's blood sugar was elevated. She got one shot of long acting insulin, but has not been very high since. Could that one injection cause her to start her honeymoon? Was the high blood sugar a one time event caused by the flu virus? (16 Mar 2016)
- For my son's Omnipod, what duration of insulin action (DIA) do you recommend? (14 Mar 2016)
- Diagnosed last August, my daughter now has low grade fevers, aches, and fatigue. Tests for Lyme, mononucleosis, celiac and thyroid issues were negative. What is your opinion? (14 Mar 2016)
- My daughter is on MDI, a CGM. She gets morning Lantus, is sometimes high when school ends in the early afternoon. Should I be doing more? Should we try to get a pump? We are in Curacao, have limited access to a doctor. (25 Feb 2016)
- My teen grandson refuses to take of his diabetes, has been hospitalized frequently, usually in DKA. What can we do to help him? (25 Feb 2016)
- My teen relative with type 1 eats a lot of candy, taking insulin to keep her blood sugar in range. Will eating the candy show up on her A1c test? (15 Feb 2016)
- Diagnosed about 1.5 years ago, my daughter has been losing her hair. Is this related to her use of insulin? (15 Feb 2016)
- For a month, my toddler has been urinating only once a day, or less. Her breath smells like ketones. Could she have diabetes? What do you advise? (24 Jan 2016)
- My teen had highs and moderate ketones from two pump failures. Would it have been okay to give her a snack when she asked for one? (13 Jan 2016)
- Diagnosed 15 years ago, my adult daughter has been hospitalized over 35 times for DKA, seizures, and lows. How can we help ease her suffering? (13 Jan 2016)
- Recently diagnosed, we keep reducing our toddler's insulin to prevent lows. If we continue to reduce it, might this stress his remaining pancreatic function? (13 Jan 2016)
- I would like to understand ketones better. What causes them? How do they affect the body? How are they formed? (13 Jan 2016)
- My three-year-old was just diagnosed. At what age should I begin to teach her gradually how to take of her diabetes? (9 Dec 2015)
- A year-round soccer player, my daughter experiences severe calf cramps. Is this because she metabolizes things differently as a diabetic or just a regular overuse, not-stretching-enough issue? (28 Oct 2015)
- How many glucagon kits should an active teen have? Can a doctor write a prescription for more than one kit per patient? (28 Oct 2015)
- The endocrinologist indicated that my adolescent son will probably be no taller than 165 cm (5 feet, 4 inches). I heard that blood glucose control is more difficult when on growth hormones. Should we pursue the hormones? Are there other side effects? (19 Oct 2015)
- Recently diagnosed, my teen son has experienced elevated blood sugars at the start of cross country races. Should he do a corrective dose? (13 Sep 2015)
- Diagnosed with type 1 at 2, my grandson has just started on Ritalin as he begins kindergarten. What effects might the drug have on his blood sugars? (2 Sep 2015)
- My daughter tested positive for two antibodies and has had intermittent elevated blood sugars. Have there been any successes in reversing the antibody titers? I am looking for suggestions on how to prevent a diagnosis of type 1. (27 Aug 2015)
- In 2009, my daughter, who has two siblings with type 1, tested negative for antibodies, but recently had a random high blood sugar and has tested positive for GAD-65. Will she definitely develop diabetes? (23 Jul 2015)
- For the past few years, my teen son has had extreme muscle pain and tightness the day after exercise. Is this a side effect of Lantus or something else diabetes-related? What do you recommend? (23 Jul 2015)
How to Submit a QuestionUse the Question Submission Form to submit a question to the Diabetes Team.
If you want information about an individual situation, please include the age of the child or teenager, or if an adult, whether the person is a young adult, middleager, or senior citizen. Also, indicate the type of diabetes (Type 1 or 2) and let us know about how long the diabetes has been diagnosed.
A valid e-mail address must be included with your question. We cannot answer questions submitted without an e-mail address. If you want other readers to be able to send you e-mail about your question, let us know and we'll include your email address in the answer.
Remember, answers given will be answered in general terms for the benefit of all our readers, and therefore may not specifically give medical information that will directly apply to your situation (See our Disclaimer).
Before you submit your question, please check the index of previous questions to see if we've already answered your question.
Questions may be edited for space and clarity.
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)
And Our Occasional Experts
Last Updated: Wednesday September 21, 2016 16:01:14
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.