Celiac News from 2013
4 December 2013
- Clinical picture of classical, atypical and silent celiac disease in children and adolescents. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Bone mass and mineral metabolism alterations in adult celiac disease: pathophysiology and clinical approach. Free full text available in PDF format via link.
- Dermatitis Herpetiformis: Clinical Presentations Are Independent of Manifestations of Celiac Disease.
- Going gluten-free may not help digestive issues.
- MTN reporter shares her battle with celiac disease.
- Gluten Attacked, and Food Makers Don't Defend Wheat.
27 November 2013
- Clinical, Serologic, and Histologic Features of Gluten Sensitivity in Children.
- Oats in the diet of children with celiac disease: preliminary results of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled multicenter Italian study. Free full text available in PDF format via link.
- Gluten-free diet in children: an approach to a nutritionally adequate and balanced diet. Free full text available in PDF format via link.
- Two wheat decapeptides prevent gliadin-dependent maturation of human dendritic cells.
- How to stay gluten-free and still love the Thanksgiving feast.
20 November 2013
- The quality of life in developing age children with celiac disease.
- Health-related quality of life in children with celiac disease: a study based on the critical incident technique.
- Symptom positivity is essential for omitting biopsy in children with suspected celiac disease according to the new ESPGHAN guidelines.
- The high cost of celiac disease in an Israeli Health Maintenance Organization.
- A Fellow Celiac Needs a Group Hug & Some Advice. Let's Bring It.
- Omission beers earn gluten-free recognition. see also Is Omission Beer Really “Risk-Free” for Celiacs?
13 November 2013
- Clinical impact of a gluten-free diet on health-related quality of life in seven fibromyalgia syndrome patients with associated celiac disease. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Long-term consumption of oats in adult celiac disease patients.
- Appropriate nutrient supplementation in celiac disease.
- The Gluten-Free Fad Is Dangerous - So Is The Backlash.
- Chattanooga Research Site Helping To Study Investigational Celiac Disease Treatment.
6 November 2013
- Early Feeding and Risk of Celiac Disease in a Prospective Birth Cohort.
- The anti-transglutaminase auto-antibodies in children's saliva with a suspect coeliac disease: clinical study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- High prevalence of celiac disease in Swedish children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes and the relation to the Swedish epidemic of celiac disease: a cohort study.
- What is Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity?
- Celiac? Gluten-free Is The Bread To Your Butter.
30 October 2013
- Incretins, Amylin and Other Gut-Brain Axis Hormones in Children with Celiac Disease.
- Maize Prolamins Could Induce a Gluten-Like Cellular Immune Response in Some Celiac Disease Patients. Free full text PDF available via link.
- The gluten-free diet: testing alternative cereals tolerated by celiac patients. Free full text PDF available via link.
23 October 2013
- Gluten contamination of naturally gluten-free flours and starches used by Canadians with celiac disease.
- An orthodontic retainer preventing remission in celiac disease.
- She Blinded Me with Science: What’s celiac disease?
15 October 2013
- Early Feeding and Risk of Celiac Disease in a Prospective Birth Cohort.
- Early elevation of albumin excretion rate is associated with poor gluten-free diet adherence in young people with coeliac disease and diabetes.
- Consumption of gluten with gluten-degrading enzyme by celiac patients: A pilot-study.
9 October 2013
- Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies Are Highly Prevalent in Newly Diagnosed Celiac Disease Patients.
- Evaluation of visual and taste preferences of some gluten-free commercial products in a group of celiac children.
- Feeding choices may raise babies' risk of coeliac disease.
2 October 2013
- A Nationwide Study of the Association Between Celiac Disease and the Risk of Autistic Spectrum Disorders.
- Immunoregulatory Pathways Are Active in the Small Intestinal Mucosa of Patients with Potential Celiac Disease.
- Anti-gliadin antibodies identify celiac patients overlooked by tissue transglutaminase antibodies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Silencing of the sulfur rich alpha-gliadin storage protein family in wheat grains (Triticum aestivum L.) causes no unintended side-effects on other metabolites. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Rising Incidence of Celiac Disease in Scotland.
- Does Gluten Intake Influence the Development of Celiac Disease-associated Complications?
- Gene Expression Profile of Peripheral Blood Monocytes: A Step towards the Molecular Diagnosis of Celiac Disease? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Non-celiac gluten sensitivity: the new frontier of gluten related disorders.
- Skipping birthday cake and other treats, when you’re a kid with celiac disease.
- Living gluten-free: New guidelines help those with celiac disease.
25 September 2013
- Prevalence of Celiac Disease in Omani Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Cross Sectional Study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Broad MICA/B Expression in the Small Bowel Mucosa: A Link between Cellular Stress and Celiac Disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Celiac research to highlight international symposium.
- Omission: A Gluten-Free Beer That Tastes Like Beer.
- Getting Around Gluten.
18 September 2013
- Use of proton pump inhibitors and subsequent risk of celiac disease.
- Celiac Disease - Prevention Strategies through Early Infant Nutrition.
- Cardiovascular disease risk factor profiles in children with celiac disease on gluten-free diets.
- 10 Healthy Gluten-Free Recipes (Photos).
- Dear Gluten Dude: My Family Members Call Celiac a Fad Disease. Oh ... and They’re Doctors.
- Is Gluten Content to Blame for the Rise of Celiac Disease?
4 September 2013
- Celiac disease and autoimmune-associated conditions. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A novel serogenetic approach determines the community prevalence of celiac disease and informs improved diagnostic pathways. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Life Events and the Onset of Celiac Disease from a Patient’s Perspective. Free full text PDF available via link.
- Narrow band imaging with magnification endoscopy for celiac disease: results from a prospective, single-center study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Antibodies against Food Antigens in Patients with Autistic Spectrum Disorders. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
28 August 2013
- Type 1 diabetes and celiac disease: The effects of gluten free diet on metabolic control. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Burden of illness and use of health care services before and after celiac disease diagnosis in children.
- Potential New Mechanisms of Placental Damage in Celiac Disease: Anti-Transglutaminase Antibodies Impair Human Endometrial Angiogenesis. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Diagnostic accuracy of a new point-of-care screening assay for celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A novel serogenetic approach determines the community prevalence of celiac disease and informs improved diagnostic pathways. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Gluten Intolerant Chef Launches Weezie's Gluten-Free Bakery in Fort Lauderdale.
- New Approach to Celiac Testing Identifies More at Risk.
- Recent diet fad requires more than avoiding gluten.
21 August 2013
- Correlation between antibodies and histology in celiac disease: Incidence of celiac disease is higher than expected in the pediatric population.
- The 15th International Celiac Disease Symposium will be held from September 22-25, 2013 in Chicago.
- Gluten-free foods are more than a fad for celiac sufferers.
- Low-Gluten Communion Wafers Now At A Parish Near You.
14 August 2013
- Clinical features and symptom recovery on a gluten-free diet in Canadian adults with celiac disease.
- Patient and parent satisfaction with a dietitian- and nurse- led celiac disease clinic for children at the Stollery Children's Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Patterns of population differentiation and natural selection on the celiac disease background risk network. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The effects of gluten-free diet on hypertransaminasemia in patients with celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Mucosal healing and risk for lymphoproliferative malignancy in celiac disease: a population-based cohort study.
- Non-celiac gluten sensitivity: questions still to be answered despite increasing awareness.
7 August 2013
- Study of prevalence of celiac disease in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus: result of 10 years of follow-up.
- Celiac disease: A disease with varied manifestations in adults and adolescents.
- Biochemical modifications of gliadins induced by microbial transglutaminase on wheat flour.
- Everyday Life for Women With Celiac Disease.
- FDA defines “gluten-free” for food labeling. See also What is Gluten-Free? FDA Has an Answer and F.D.A. Sets Standard for Foods Labeled Gluten Free.
31 July 2013
- Use Caution When Going Gluten-free.
- Going Gluten-Free.
24 July 2013
- Epidemiology of Coeliac Disease and Co-morbidity in Norwegian Children.
- Antibiotic exposure and the development of coeliac disease: a nationwide case–control study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Antibiotic use linked to celiac disease development.
- Is a Gluten-Free Diet Right for You?
- Woman runs gluten-free bakery from Middletown home.
- Is Beer Engineered to Remove Gluten Actually Gluten Free?.
- Best thing since sliced bread? A (potential) new diagnostic for celiac disease.
- All Day I Dream About Food offers recipes for gluten free desserts.
- WSU researcher 'very close' on celiac-safe wheat, herbicide-tolerant barley.
17 July 2013
- Prevalence of gluten-free diet adherence among individuals without celiac disease in the USA: results from the Continuous National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2009-2010.
- Pathogen-Specific Risk of Celiac Disease Following Bacterial Causes of Foodborne Illness: A Retrospective Cohort Study.
- Duodenal-mucosal bacteria associated with celiac disease in children.
- Gluten-Free Takeout: Which Cities Have The Most G-Free Friendly Restaurants?
3 July 2013
- Gluten Free Restaurant Cards for Celiacs are a great tool for anyone traveling with celiac.
- Arizona Blogger Launches Kickstarter Campaign For Gluten-Free Lifestyle Book.
26 June 2013
- Systematic review: worldwide variation in the frequency of coeliac disease and changes over time.
- Cook learns new tricks after celiac disease diagnosis.
- Celiac power: It's much more than a trendy new diet.
19 June 2013
- Inadequate Nutrient Intake in Patients with Celiac Disease: Results from a German Dietary Survey.
- Coeliac disease, gluten-free diet and the development and progression of albuminuria in children with type 1 diabetes.
12 June 2013
- Men with celiac disease are shorter than their peers in the general population.
- The relationship between adiposity and stature in prepubertal children with celiac disease.
- Bone mineral density in adult coeliac disease: An updated review.
- Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity: Gastrointestinal Hip or Hype?
- Frustration and Isolation on GF Diet.
- Toronto churches offering gluten-free communion wafers.
5 June 2013
- Senator Parker Addresses Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance.
- Research clarifies safety of oats for people with celiac disease.
29 May 2013
- Long-term coeliac disease influences risk of death in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Search for atoxic cereals: a single blind, cross-over study on the safety of a single dose of Triticum monococcum, in patients with celiac disease.
- The relationship of autism and gluten.
- Dietitians warn that gluten-free diets carry a cost.
- Kid stuff: Celiac disease shouldn't be stricken from shows.
- Big sister on mission to help cure diabetes.
22 May 2013
- Is dietitian use associated with celiac disease outcomes?
- Celiac Disease in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: Screening and Diagnostic Practices.
- Gluten-Free Myths.
- What is gluten? And other frequently asked questions about gluten.
- Mom: Disney show 'Jessie' ridicules kids with celiac disease. See also Disney Channel Pulls an Episode that Laughs at The Gluten-Free Kid.
8 May 2013
- Gliadin Does Not Induce Mucosal Inflammation or Basophil Activation in Patients with Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity.
- Gluten-free expo: Gluten-free food worth trying -- beer, bread, more.
- Household products pose gluten risk.
1 May 2013
- Altered expression of type-1 and type-2 cannabinoid receptors in celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Mortality Rate in Children Born to Mothers and Fathers With Celiac Disease: A Nationwide Cohort Study.
- ACG Clinical Guidelines: Diagnosis and Management of Celiac Disease.
- Seroprevalence of celiac disease among healthy adolescents in Saudi Arabia. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Gluten Free Garage Shows Off Toronto’s Wheat-Free Options.
24 April 2013
- I’m Gluten Minded: The Celiac Disease Advocate.
- Mixing is Key to Making Quality of Gluten-Free Bread.
17 April 2013
- A subset of anti-rotavirus antibodies directed against the viral protein VP7 predicts the onset of celiac disease and induces typical features of the disease in the intestinal epithelial cell line T84.
- Eat. Taste. Live. is an online, interactive, gluten-free cooking resource for families living with celiac.
- Baking Gluten-Free: Why Is My Bread All Crumbly?
10 April 2013
- The thrombophilic network of autoantibodies in celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Rapid anti-transglutaminase assay and patient interview for monitoring dietary compliance in celiac disease.
- Gluten-free: What's all the fuss about?
- Gluten: 5 things you need to know.
- Make Gluten-Free Food Safe for Patients and Consumers.
3 April 2013
- Compromised quality of life in patients with both Type 1 diabetes mellitus and coeliac disease.
- Vitiligo and autoantibodies of celiac disease.
- Upper gastrointestinal microbiota and digestive diseases. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation May Restore Gluten Tolerance in Patients With Celiac Disease.
- Make Gluten-Free Food Safe for Patients and Consumers.
27 March 2013
- Increasing Incidence of Celiac Disease in a North American Population.
- Prevalence and natural history of potential celiac disease in adult patients.
- The PSC as screening tool for neurological and psychosocial problems in a pediatric cohort of patients with celiac disease.
- Gluten-sensitive enteropathy coincides with decreased capability of intestinal T cells to secrete IL-17 and IL-22 in a macaque model for celiac disease.
- 'Going gluten-free will NOT make you thin': Celiac disease sufferer on out-of-control diet trend almost a third of Americans follow.
- Miss International Hoboken conquers state and Celiac disease -- now heads to international stage.
- Coping with celiac disease.
20 March 2013
- Emerging Therapeutic Options for Celiac Disease: Potential Alternatives to a Gluten-Free Diet. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Duodenal Microbiota Composition of Adult Celiac Disease Patients Is Associated with the Clinical Manifestation of the Disease.
- Earlier gluten introduction could reduce celiac disease in infants.
- Team Sydney's Silly Yaks will walk to raise awareness of Celiac disease.
13 March 2013
- A Randomized Controlled Trial of an Online Intervention to Improve Gluten-Free Diet Adherence in Celiac Disease.
- Serological testing for coeliac disease in Type 1 diabetes mellitus: is immunoglobulin A level measurement necessary?
- Making bread safe for celiacs.
- Eight-Year-Old's Science Fair Project Prompts 133 Free Celiac Tests.
6 March 2013
- Trace gluten contamination may play a role in mucosal and clinical recovery in a subgroup of diet-adherent non-responsive celiac disease patients.
- The Role Of Gluten Intake At The Time Of Hepatitis B Vaccination In The Immune Response Of Celiac Patients.
27 February 2013
- Hepatitis B vaccine in celiac disease: Yesterday, today and tomorrow. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Who Has the Guts for Gluten?
- 13-year-old with celiac disease becomes 'gluten-free' baker. See also Eternally Gluten Free.
- Sorghum, a healthy and gluten-free food for celiac patients as demonstrated by genome, biochemical and immunochemical analyses.
20 February 2013
- Prevalence of Childhood Celiac Disease and Changes in Infant Feeding. See also Early exposure to gluten may help babies avoid celiac risk: study.
- Health-related quality of life in adolescents with screening-detected celiac disease, before and one year after diagnosis and initiation of gluten-free diet, a prospective nested case-referent study.
- Frequent delay of coeliac disease diagnosis in symptomatic patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: Clinical and genetic characteristics.
- Oral Health Status and Salivary Properties in Relation to Gluten Free Diet in Children with Celiac Disease.
- One Grain More is an amusing parody of the challenges of eating gluten (and diary) free. See also Gluten-Free Parody Makes Celiac Disease Less Miserable and The Creation of "One Grain More".
- CPT B. Donald is a United States Army Officer who served a year long deployment in Kandahar, Afghanistan while maintaining a gluten free diet.
13 February 2013
- Can an Increase in Celiac Disease Be Attributed to an Increase in the Gluten Content of Wheat as a Consequence of Wheat Breeding? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Scientist: Increase in celiac disease is not a result of wheat breeding.
- Celiac Disease Pill? Scientists Find Potential Therapeutic For Gluten Intolerance.
- A Quest For Real Beer, Without The Gluten.
6 February 2013
- Gastrointestinal and Non-gastrointestinal Presentation in Patients with Celiac Disease. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Gluten-Free, Whether You Need It or Not.
- Gluten free: Medical condition or lifestyle choice?
30 January 2013
- Intestinal biopsy is not always required to diagnose celiac disease: a retrospective analysis of combined antibody tests.
- UNL Dining Services handles celiac disease on case-by-case basis.
- Center for Celiac Research Moves from U of Md. to MassGeneral.
- Biopharma testing celiac disease drug to break down gluten.
- More Churches Offering Gluten-free Communion Bread Options.
23 January 2013
- Intestinal T-cell responses in celiac disease - impact of celiac disease associated bacteria. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Tissue-infiltrating lymphocytes analysis reveals large modifications of the duodenal "immunological niche" in coeliac disease after gluten-free diet. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Celiacs Feel Excluded from Social Life.
- Support Group Leader Helps Others with Celiac.
16 January 2013
- Levels of Antibodies Against Tissue Transglutaminase During Pregnancy Are Associated with Reduced Fetal Weight and Birth Weight.
- Exploratory, Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study on the Effects of Bifidobacterium infantis Natren Life Start Strain Super Strain in Active Celiac Disease.
- Can an increase in celiac disease be attributed to an increase in the gluten content of wheat as a consequence of wheat breeding? A perspective.
- Infection, feeding habits in infants linked to later celiac disease.
9 January 2013
- A Legal Victory for Celiacs.
- Celiac Disease And Depression | Gluten Free Traveller.
2 January 2013
- Antibody Repertoire Profiling Using Bacterial Display Identifies Reactivity Signatures of Celiac Disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Bacteria Pick Up On Celiac Disease.
- Dunkin’ Donuts Piloting Gluten-Free Baked Goods.
[ Current Celiac News | News from 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 ]
Last Updated: Wednesday December 04, 2013 16:27:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.