Celiac News from 2014
31 December 2014
- Clinical relevance and cost-effectiveness of HLA genotyping in children with Type 1 diabetes mellitus in screening for coeliac disease in the Netherlands.
- Protective effect of ghrelin in a rat model of celiac disease.
- When a teenager is diagnosed with celiac disease.
- Celiac disease makes 'gluten-free' a necessity, not a trend.
24 December 2014
- Burden of Celiac Disease in Europe: a review of its childhood and adulthood prevalence and incidence as of September 2014.
- Pediatric Celiac Disease Patients Who Are Lost to Follow-Up Have a Poorly Controlled Disease.
- Antibodies to Deamidated Gliadin Peptide in Diagnosis of Celiac Disease in Children.
17 December 2014
- Celiac disease and its impact on the oral health status - review of the literature. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The range of lesions in the small intestine of children with celiac disease determined by capsule endoscopy. Free full text available in PDF format.
10 December 2014
- Ingestion of oats and barley in patients with celiac disease mobilizes cross-reactive T cells activated by avenin peptides and immuno-dominant hordein peptides.
- Decrease in lactobacilli in the intestinal microbiota of celiac children with a gluten-free diet, and selection of potentially probiotic strains.
- Role of the gluten-free diet on neurological-EEG findings and sleep disordered breathing in children with celiac disease.
- Perinatal Risk Factors for Development of Celiac Disease in Children, Based on the Prospective Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study.
- Mucosal Healing in Patients with Celiac Disease and Outcomes of Pregnancy: a Nationwide Population-based Study.
- Predictors of dietary gluten avoidance in adults without a prior diagnosis of celiac disease.
- Stop Mocking Gluten-Free Faddists.
3 December 2014
- Risk of low bone mineral density and low body mass index in patients with non-celiac wheat-sensitivity: a prospective observation study. Free full text available in PDF format.
26 November 2014
- The changing clinical profile of celiac disease: a 15-year experience (1998-2012) in an Italian referral center. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Altered Duodenal Microbiota Composition in Celiac Disease Patients Suffering From Persistent Symptoms on a Long-Term Gluten-Free Diet.
- Ingestion of oats and barley in patients with celiac disease mobilizes cross-reactive T cells activated by avenin peptides and immuno-dominant hordein peptides. See also New clue in celiac disease puzzle: Cause of oat toxicity explained.
- Celiac disease with cerebral and peripheral nerve involvement mimicking multiple sclerosis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Fellow Celiacs: Are You Drinking Your Gluten?
- Will a gluten-free diet really make you healthier?
- Cambridge company recognized for potential Celiac-curing vaccine.
19 November 2014
- Rationale for Using Social Media to Collect Patient-Reported Outcomes in Patients with Celiac Disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Seroprevalence of celiac disease among United Arab Emirates healthy adult nationals: A gender disparity. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Emeril Lagasse's daughters are out with a new gluten-free cookbook.
12 November 2014
- Specific Non-Gluten Proteins of Wheat are Novel Target Antigens in Celiac Disease Humoral Response.
- Identification and characterization of intestinal lactobacilli strains capable of degrading immunotoxic peptides present in gluten.
- Bone Mineral Density at Diagnosis of Celiac Disease and after 1 Year of Gluten-Free Diet. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
5 November 2014
- Biochemical and Immunochemical Evidences Supporting the Inclusion of Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) as a Gluten-free Ingredient.
- Why celiac disease is so easy to miss. Free full text available in PDF format.
29 October 2014
- Factors affecting adherence to a gluten-free diet in children with celiac disease.
- Perinatal risk factors increase the risk of being affected by both type 1 diabetes and celiac disease.
- Neuropsychiatric symptoms and celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Against the Grain.
- The Rise of Celiac Disease Still Stumps Scientists.
22 October 2014
- The present and the future in the diagnosis and management of celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Genetic risk for co-occurrence of type 1 diabetes and celiac disease is modified by HLA-C and killer immunoglobulin-like receptors.
- Specific Non-Gluten Proteins of Wheat are Novel Target Antigens in Celiac Disease Humoral Response.
- Pros and Cons of Going Gluten-Free. (and a brief lament about the smooshed banana).
15 October 2014
- Nutritional assessment of gluten-free diet. Is gluten-free diet deficient in some nutrient?
- Can Celiac Disease Affect the Brain?
- The Gluten Detecting Device You'll Want to Own. See also 6SensorLabs for more information.
- Parent Experiences Raising Young People with Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease.
- What If Gluten Sensitivity Isn't Just About Gluten?
- Not gluten-free, but . . . Biochemist lays groundwork for celiac-safe wheat.
8 October 2014
- Celiac Expert Explores New Options in Treatment, Research.
- Gluten Contamination in Foods Labeled as "Gluten Free" in the United States.
- Systematic review with meta-analysis: associations between coeliac disease and type 1 diabetes.
- Introduction of Gluten, HLA Status, and the Risk of Celiac Disease in Children.
- Randomized Feeding Intervention in Infants at High Risk for Celiac Disease.
- Silent coeliac disease is overrepresented in children with type 1 diabetes and their siblings.
- Celiac Disease, a Common, but Elusive, Diagnosis.
- When Gluten Sensitivity Isn't Celiac Disease.
1 October 2014
- Experimental hookworm infection and gluten microchallenge promote tolerance in celiac disease. See also Celiac disease: A wriggly solution to a first-world problem.
- Neighborhood conditions and celiac disease risk among children in Sweden.
- Depression and anxiety in child and adolescents with follow-up celiac disease and in their families.
- The neurologic significance of celiac disease biomarkers.
- The postprandial glucose response to some varieties of commercially available gluten-free pasta: a comparison between healthy and celiac subjects.
- All the Italian, With None of the Gluten.
24 September 2014
- High Adherence to a Gluten-Free Diet in Adolescents With Screening-Detected Celiac Disease.
- Dr. Alessio Fasano Speaks Out About Celebrity Gluten-Bashing, Celiac Disease Research.
- Gluten detection in foods available in the United States - A market survey.
- Drug for Celiac Disease Eases Symptoms in Multicenter Trial.
- Not Guten for My Gut.
17 September 2014
- Co-localization of gluten consumption and HLA-DQ2 and -DQ8 genotypes, a clue to the history of celiac disease.
- Serum cytokine pattern in young children with screening detected celiac disease.
- Injection of celiac disease patient sera or immunoglobulins to mice reproduces a condition mimicking early developing celiac disease.
- The truth about "gluten snobs".
10 September 2014
- Normal or defective immune response to Hepatitis B vaccine in patients with diabetes and celiac disease: An open issue.
- Prevalence and clinical features of celiac disease in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis: cross-sectional study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Gluten-free labeling standards kick in.
- Wheat consumption takes hit in gluten-free trend.
- Celiac disease awareness event to educate, highlight gluten-free diets.
3 September 2014
- Lack of Clinical Predictors for Low Mineral Density in Children With Celiac Disease.
- Women with Celiac Disease Present with Fertility Problems No More often than Women in the General Population.
- Exploring anthropometric and laboratory differences in children of varying ethnicities with celiac disease.
- HLA genotyping in pediatric celiac disease patients.
27 August 2014
- Mutatis mutandis: Are we diagnosing too many people with non-celiac gluten sensitivity? Multiple case report. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Factors associated with long diagnostic delay in celiac disease.
- Facing Mount Kilimanjaro - with Celiac Disease.
- More Than a Fad: How going gluten-free saved my life.
- Gluten-free beer options expand, but which ones really taste good?
20 August 2014
- Prevalence of celiac disease autoimmunity in children with type 1 diabetes: regional variations across the Øresund strait between Denmark and southernmost Sweden.
- Gluten-free diet and quality of life in celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PubReader formats.
- Krystal Marshall keeps celiac in check with gluten-free diet.
- Should you be going gluten-free?
13 August 2014
- Pregnancy Complications and Adverse Birth Outcomes Among Women With Celiac Disease: A Population-Based Study From England.
- Coeliac autoimmunity in type I diabetes mellitus.
6 August 2014
- Can Celiac Serology Alone be Used as a Marker of Duodenal Mucosal Recovery in Children with Celiac Disease on a Gluten-Free Diet?
- Tetramer-visualized gluten-specific CD4+ T cells in blood as a potential diagnostic marker for coeliac disease without oral gluten challenge.
- Gluten-free label rule to take effect, but its use won't be mandatory.
30 July 2014
- Celiac Disease: Ten Things that Every Gastroenterologist Should Know.
- Incidence of Malignancies in Diagnosed Celiac Patients: A Population-based Estimate.
- Growing concern leads to more gluten-free choices for local diners.
23 July 2014
- Looking for coeliac disease in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- The changing face and clinical features of celiac disease in children.
- Lactobacillus paracasei CBA L74 interferes with gliadin peptides entrance in Caco-2 cells.
16 July 2014
- Lower bifidobacteria counts in adult patients with celiac disease on a gluten-free diet. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Impaired epithelial integrity in the duodenal mucosa in early stages of celiac disease.
- Risk of Infertility in Patients with Celiac Disease: a meta-analysis of observational studies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Celiac disease in children from Madeira island and its prevalence in first degree relative. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
9 July 2014
- Noncontaminated dietary oats may hamper normalization of the intestinal immune status in childhood celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Risk of pediatric celiac disease according to HLA haplotype and country.
- Patient Perception of Treatment Burden Is High in Celiac Disease Compared With Other Common Conditions.
- Body mass index is not a reliable tool in predicting celiac disease in children. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Going off gluten.
25 June 2014
- Type 1 diabetes and celiac disease: clinical overlap and new insights into disease pathogenesis.
- The HLA-DQ2 genotype selects for early intestinal microbiota composition in infants at high risk of developing coeliac disease.
- Separating the Wheat (Gluten) From the Chaff.
18 June 2014
- Arsenic speciation in rice-based food for adults with celiac disease.
- Swedish children with celiac disease comply well with a gluten-free diet, and most include oats without reporting any adverse effects: a long-term follow-up study.
- Internalizing the threat of risk-a qualitative study about adolescents' experience living with screening-detected celiac disease 5 years after diagnosis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Transamidation of gluten proteins during the bread-making process of wheat flour to produce breads with less immunoreactive gluten.
- A Pill For Celiac Disease Is Almost Here. See also the PDF of the study, previously reported here.
- Gluten-Free Eating Appears to Be Here to Stay.
11 June 2014
- Treatment of both native and deamidated gluten peptides with an endo-peptidase from Aspergillus niger prevents stimulation of gut-derived gluten-reactive T cells from either children or adults with celiac disease.
- Results from Ad Hoc and Routinely Collected Data among Celiac Women with Infertility or Pregnancy Related Disorders: Italy, 2001-2011. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
4 June 2014
- Health-related quality of life is not impaired in children with undetected as well as diagnosed celiac disease: a large population based cross-sectional study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Dietary gluten and the development of type 1 diabetes.
- Coexistence of coeliac disease and type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Nutritional status, growth and disease management in children with single and dual diagnosis of type 1 diabetes mellitus and coeliac disease. Free full text available in PDF format.
- An Italian prospective multicenter survey on patients suspected of having non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The role of Haptoglobin and its related protein, Zonulin, in inflammatory bowel disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
28 May 2014
- Association of Maternal Education, Early Infections, and Antibiotic Use With Celiac Disease: A Population-Based Birth Cohort Study in Northeastern Italy.
- Histopathological findings in the oral mucosa of celiac patients.
- DHA Serum Levels Were Significantly Higher in Celiac Disease Patients Compared to Healthy Controls and Were Unrelated to Depression. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Prevalence of celiac disease in cirrhosis and outcome of cirrhosis on a gluten free diet: A prospective study.
- Sensitive To Gluten? A Carb In Wheat May Be The Real Culprit.
21 May 2014
- Geographic trends and risk of gastrointestinal cancer among patients with celiac disease in Europe and Asian-Pacific region. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Gluten-free is not enough - perception and suggestions of celiac consumers.
- A pediatric case of gluten sensitivity with severe neurological presentation.
- Gluten-free brewery goes against the grain.
- 7th-grader organizes 5K to benefit celiac disease.
14 May 2014
- Coeliac disease presenting as severe hypoglycaemia in youth with Type 1 diabetes.
- Celiac disease in adult patients: specific autoantibodies in the diagnosis, monitoring, and screening. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Inflammatory bowel disease and celiac disease: Overlaps and differences. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Current status of drugs in development for celiac disease.
7 May 2014
- "We Can Do This", Vol. 5: Diabetes and Celiac Disease.
- Potential Celiac Children: 9-Year Follow-Up on a Gluten-Containing Diet.
- In celiac disease intestinal titers of anti-tissue transglutaminase2 antibodies positively correlate with the mucosal damage degree and inversely with the gluten-free diet duration.
- Living with Celiac: Tips, Tricks and Annoyances.
- Kathy Smart provides tips on eating gluten-free food at expo in Toronto.
- Q&A: A chef goes gluten-free and regains his health.
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten.
- Local woman with celiac disease on personal awareness campaign.
- Healthy Jasmine's favorite gluten-free product
30 April 2014
- Increased Prevalence of Celiac Disease Among Pediatric Patients With Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A 6-Year Prospective Cohort Study.
- Sensory Evaluation And Acceptability Of Gluten-Free Andean Corn Spaghetti.
- Enjoy a gluten-free stay on the Las Vegas Strip.
- Migraines show a link to gluten in some cases.
23 April 2014
- Lack of serologic evidence to link IgA nephropathy with celiac disease or immune reactivity to gluten. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Characterization of Adults With a Self-Diagnosis of Nonceliac Gluten Sensitivity.
16 April 2014
- Exploring T cell reactivity to gliadin in young children with newly diagnosed celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Serological Assessment for Celiac Disease in IgA Deficient Adults. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- No association between biopsy-verified celiac disease and subsequent amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - a population-based cohort study.
- One of Chicago's top restaurateurs is leading gluten-free efforts.
9 April 2014
- Mucosal Healing in Children With Treated Celiac Disease.
- Celiac disease risk varies between birth cohorts, generating hypotheses about causality: evidence from 36 years of population-based follow-up. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Human milk composition differs in healthy mothers and mothers with celiac disease.
- Palaeodiet reconstruction in a woman with probable celiac disease: A stable isotope analysis of bone remains from the archaeological site of Cosa (Italy).
- Clinical Utility of Celiac Disease-Associated HLA Testing.
2 April 2014
- Risk of renal disease in patients with both type 1 diabetes and coeliac disease.
- Drs. Oz and Roizen: These gluten-free foods are worth eating.
- Does Glyphosate Cause Celiac Disease? Actually, No!
- Is Gluten Actually Bad For You?
27 March 2014
- Salivary microbiota and metabolome associated with celiac disease.
- The Shutdown of Celiac Disease-Related Gliadin Epitopes in Bread Wheat by RNAi Provides Flours with Increased Stability and Better Tolerance to Over-Mixing. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Life Lessons: Gluten-free restaurants.
19 March 2014
- Reduced-gliadin wheat bread: an alternative to the gluten-free diet for consumers suffering gluten-related pathologies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Celiac disease and reproductive disorders: meta-analysis of epidemiologic associations and potential pathogenic mechanisms.
- Low risk of colon cancer in patients with celiac disease.
- Is it Necessary to Assess for Fat Soluble Vitamin Deficiencies in Pediatric Patients With Newly Diagnosed Celiac Disease?
- Celiac Disease or Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity? An Approach to Clinical Differential Diagnosis.
12 March 2014
- Barriers impeding serologic screening for celiac disease in clinically high-prevalence populations. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Prevalence of thyroid autoimmunity in children with celiac disease compared to healthy 12-year olds. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Why Doesn’t the Military Accept Those With Celiac Disease?
- What I want you to know about Celiac Disease: Adrienne’s Story.
- UW increases gluten-free food availability.
- Gluten-free students struggle for options.
5 March 2014
- The Glutenase ALV003 Attenuates Gluten-Induced Mucosal Injury in Patients with Celiac Disease.
- Nutritional Differences Between a Gluten-free Diet and a Diet Containing Equivalent Products with Gluten.
- Psychological alterations in patients with adult celiac disease.
- Estimated levels of gluten incidentally present in a Canadian gluten-free diet.
- Bloated cost of a gluten-free diet is hard to digest.
26 February 2014
- Alteration of Tight Junction Gene Expression in Celiac Disease.
- Screening for celiac disease in 1st degree relatives: a 10-year follow-up study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Accurate and robust genomic prediction of celiac disease using statistical learning. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Italian family paediatricians' approach and management of celiac disease: a cross-sectional study in Puglia Region, 2012.
- Wright Words: I’m still not dying, but I do have celiac disease.
19 February 2014
- Effect of gluten free diet on immune response to gliadin in patients with non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Follow-up of pediatric celiac disease: value of antibodies in predicting mucosal healing, a prospective cohort study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Early Microbial Markers of Celiac Disease.
- Gluten and wheat intolerance today: are modern wheat strains involved?
- Lacking Data, Physicians Attempt To Manage Non-Celiac Gluten SensitivityLacking Data, Physicians Attempt To Manage Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity.
- A Big Bet on Gluten-Free.
- Why going gluten free doesn't have to ruin travel.
- Alba Therapeutics Announces Positive Results of Phase IIb Trial in Celiac Disease.
12 February 2014
- Celiac disease with neurologic manifestations in children.
- US perspective on gluten-related diseases. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Breastfeeding Duration and Gluten Introduction Among Mothers With Celiac Disease.
- What you need to know before going gluten-free.
5 February 2014
- Cereal-based gluten-free food: how to reconcile nutritional and technological properties of wheat proteins with safety for celiac disease patients. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Celiac disease and dysfunctional uterine bleeding; the efficiency of gluten free diet.
- Prevalence of celiac disease in children with epilepsy.
- Celiac Rant: Stop Pitying My Child’s Diet and Let’s Rejoice!
- Nesbitt, Morrison fit again ahead of Olympics.
- Going “gluten-free” might not solve all of your wheat intolerances.
- Have your pasta & be gluten-free, as well.
29 January 2014
- Health-related quality of life in children and adolescents with celiac disease: patient-driven data from focus group interviews.
- Long-standing type 1 diabetes: patients with adult-onset develop celiac-specific immunoreactivity more frequently than patients with childhood-onset diabetes, in a disease duration-dependent manner.
- Celiac disease and overweight in children: an update.
- Gastrointestinal Effects of Eating Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) in Celiac Patients. See also Quinoa does not cause celiac problems.
22 January 2014
- Usefulness of Symptoms to Screen for Celiac Disease.
- Diagnosis and classification of celiac disease and gluten sensitivity.
- Coeliac disease: an old or a new disease? History of a pathology.
- Predictors of persistent villous atrophy in coeliac disease: a population-based study.
- Gluten-Free Glutton: Tax time an even bigger headache for celiacs.
- Transition to a Gluten-Free Diet.
15 January 2014
- Usefulness of Symptoms to Screen for Celiac Disease. See also Rethinking Strategies to Screen for Celiac Disease.
- Potential coeliac disease in Type 1 diabetes mellitus: Does a positive antibody lead to increased complications?
- Sampling of proximal and distal duodenal biopsies in the diagnosis and monitoring of celiac disease.
- New Test Could Simplify Diagnosis of Celiac Disease.
8 January 2014
- Endoscopic tools for the diagnosis and evaluation of celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Hypocalcemic seizure in an adolescent with Down syndrome: a manifestation of unrecognized celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Characteristics of Patients Who Avoid Wheat and/or Gluten in the Absence of Celiac Disease.
- Making gluten-free bread isn't as difficult as you think.
- Dr. Blonz: Oats gray area for celiac patients.
1 January 2014
- Prevalence of eating disorders in adults with celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Is it in the gluten or the grain? Free full text available in PDF format.
- Remission of severe aphthous stomatitis of celiac disease with etanercept. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
[ Current Celiac News | News from 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 ]
Last Updated: Wednesday January 07, 2015 19:54:17
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.