Daily Care News from 2013
4 December 2013
- The impact of knowledge about diabetes, resilience and depression on glycemic control: a cross-sectional study among adolescents and young adults with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Routine behavioral and mental health screening in young children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Patient-centered Diabetes Care in Children: An Integrated, Individualized, Systems-oriented, and Multidisciplinary Approach. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Identification and Prediction of Group-Based Glycemic Control Trajectories During the Transition to Adolescence.
- The latest pharmacotherapy options for type 1 diabetes.
- Effects of Switching from Insulin Glargine or Detemir to Insulin Degludec in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- A Pilot Study to Examine the Tolerability and Device Preference in Type 1 Diabetes of Insulin Aspart Administered by InsuJet Compared with Subcutaneous Injection.
- Glycemic variability and oxidative stress in children, with type 1 diabetes attending a summer camp. Free Spanish-language full text available in PDF format.
- Pre-existing diabetes, maternal glycated haemoglobin, and the risks of fetal and infant death: a population-based study.
- Slowly progressive type 1 diabetes treated with metformin for five years after onset. Free full text available in PDF format.
27 November 2013
- Ultra-Long Pharmacokinetic Properties of Insulin Degludec are Comparable in Elderly Subjects and Younger Adults with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Patient-Provider Relationships Across the Transition From Pediatric to Adult Diabetes Care: A Qualitative Study.
- Psychosocial issues of women with type 1 diabetes transitioning to motherhood: a structured literature review. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The association of personal resilience with stress, coping, and diabetes outcomes in adolescents with type 1 diabetes: Variable- and person-focused approaches.
- Impact of Telemedicine in Managing Type 1 Diabetes Among School-age Children and Adolescents: An Integrative Review.
- Relationships of neophobia and pickiness with dietary variety, dietary quality and diabetes management adherence in youth with type 1 diabetes.
20 November 2013
- What happens when patients know more than their doctors? Experiences of health interactions after diabetes patient education: a qualitative patient-led study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The glucagon response to oral glucose challenge in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Lack of Impact of euglycemia.
- Diabetes self-management smartphone application for adults with type 1 diabetes: randomized controlled trial. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Patients with type 1 diabetes oxidize fat at a greater rate than age- and sex-matched controls.
- Association of diabetes in pregnancy with child weight at birth, age 12 months and 5 years - a population-based electronic cohort study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Progressive renal decline as the major feature of diabetic nephropathy in type 1 diabetes.
13 November 2013
- The Relationship Between Maternal Fear of Hypoglycaemia and Adherence in Children with Type-1 Diabetes.
- Relationships among parent and youth healthful eating attitudes and youth dietary intake in a cross-sectional study of youth with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Impact of Partial Pressure of Oxygen in Blood Samples on the Performance of Systems for Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose.
- Socioeconomic deprivation independently predicts symptomatic painful diabetic neuropathy in type 1 diabetes.
- Prevalence, predictors and evolution of echocardiographically defined cardiac abnormalities in adults with type 1 diabetes: an observational cohort study.
- Pilot study of a web-based intervention for adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Glucose Changes and Working Memory in Individuals with Type 1 Diabetes During Air Pressure Changes Simulating Skydiving.
- Children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes in Germany are more overweight than healthy controls: results comparing DPV database and CrescNet database.
- The 16-year incidence, progression and regression of diabetic retinopathy in a young population-based Danish cohort with type 1 diabetes mellitus: The Danish cohort of pediatric diabetes 1987 (DCPD1987).
6 November 2013
- Exenatide Treatment for 6 Months Improves Insulin Sensitivity in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Early Adolescent Relationship Predictors of Emerging Adult Outcomes: Youth With and Without Type 1 Diabetes.
- Examining mealtime behaviors in families of young children with type 1 diabetes on intensive insulin therapy.
- Remote Glucose Monitoring in Camp Setting Reduces the Risk of Prolonged Nocturnal Hypoglycemia.
- Psychopathology and continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Severe diabetic nephropathy in type 1 diabetes and pregnancy - a case series.
- Type 1 diabetes, diabetic nephropathy, and pregnancy: a systematic review and meta-study.
30 October 2013
- Lower A1c among adolescents with lower perceived A1c goal: a cross-sectional survey. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Reductions In Regimen Distress Are Associated With Improved Management And Glycemic Control Over Time.
- Both Dietary Protein and Fat Increase Postprandial Glucose Excursions in Children With Type 1 Diabetes, and the Effect Is Additive.
- Glycemic control and insulin requirements in type 1 diabetic patients depending on the clinical characteristics at diabetes onset.
- Changes in weight and BMI following the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents.
- Belgian siblings of children with a chronic illness: Is their quality of life different from their peers?
- Insulin Administration and the Impacts of Forgetting a Dose.
- Evaluation of the cost-utility of insulin degludec vs insulin glargine in Sweden.
- Cohort Study of Insulin Glargine and Risk of Breast, Prostate, and Colorectal Cancer Among Patients With Diabetes.
23 October 2013
- Improved Metabolic Control in Pediatric Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: A Nationwide Prospective 12-Year Time Trends Analysis.
- Nocturnal continuous glucose and sleep stage data in adults with type 1 diabetes in real-world conditions.
- Ideal cardiovascular health and the prevalence and progression of coronary artery calcification in adults with and without type 1 diabetes.
- Cerebral Blood Flow and Glucose Metabolism in Appetite-Related Brain Regions in Type 1 Diabetic Patients After Treatment With Insulin Detemir and NPH Insulin.
- Restoration of Self-awareness of Hypoglycemia in Adults With Long-standing Type 1 Diabetes.
- A 10-s Sprint Performed After Moderate-Intensity Exercise Neither Increases nor Decreases the Glucose Requirement to Prevent Late-Onset Hypoglycemia in Individuals With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus have a sixfold greater risk for prolonged QTc interval.
- The peripartum management of glycaemia in women with Type 1 diabetes.
- Peripheral Neuropathy in Adolescents and Young Adults With Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes From the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Follow-Up Cohort.
15 October 2013
- Bolus calculator and wirelessly communicated blood glucose meter effectively reduce hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetic children - randomized controlled trial.
- Prevalence of impaired awareness of hypoglycemia and identification of predictive symptoms in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- A high mean-HbA1c value 3-15 months after diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in childhood is related to metabolic control, macroalbuminuria, and retinopathy in early adulthood-a pilot study using two nation-wide population based quality registries.
- Socioeconomic Factors Associated With Pediatric Diabetic Ketoacidosis Admissions in Southern West Virginia.
- Improving Depression Screening for Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- General practice-recorded depression and antidepressant use in young people with newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetes: a cohort study using the Clinical Practice Research Datalink.
- A psychosocial risk index for poor glycemic control in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
9 October 2013
- Randomized Trial of Infusion Set Function: Steel Versus Teflon.
- Economic evaluation of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion for children with diabetes - a pilot study: CSII application for children -- economic evaluation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring Significantly Reduces Severe Hypoglycemia in Hypoglycemia-Unaware Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effects of physical activity on the development and progression of microvascular complications in type 1 diabetes: retrospective analysis of the DCCT study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Needle-Free Jet Injection of Rapid-Acting Insulin Improves Early Postprandial Glucose Control in Patients With Diabetes.
- Glycemic control in young children with diabetes: The role of parental health literacy.
- Perspectives from Before and After the Pediatric to Adult Care Transition: A Mixed-Methods Study in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Problem Based Review: The patient who has taken an overdose of long-acting insulin analogue.
2 October 2013
- Pharmacokinetics of Insulin Aspart in Pump-Treated Subjects With Type 1 Diabetes: Reproducibility and Effect of Age, Weight, and Duration of Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Social Deprivation a Key Factor in Mortality in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Does physical activity produce clinically significant changes during discontinuation of insulin pump in type 1 diabetic patients?
- The impact of anxiety and depression on patients within a large type 1 diabetes insulin pump population. An observational study.
- Treatment satisfaction and glycemic control in young Type 1 diabetic patients in transition from pediatric health care: CSII versus MDI.
- Goal Disturbance and Coping in Children with Type I Diabetes Mellitus: Relationships with Health-Related Quality of Life and A1C.
- Adolescents, parents and physicians: a comparison of perspectives on type 1 diabetes self-care.
- The lived experience of Canadian university students with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Microvascular complications in adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
25 September 2013
- Quarterly Visits with Glycated Hemoglobin Monitoring: The Sweet Spot for Glycemic Control in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of sex and age at onset of diabetes on mortality from ischemic heart disease in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Insulin degludec is not associated with a delayed or diminished response to hypoglycaemia compared with insulin glargine in type 1 diabetes: a double-blind randomised crossover study.
- Adherence in adults with type 1 diabetes mellitus correlates with treatment satisfaction but not with adverse events. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Residual beta-Cell Mass Influences Growth of Prepubertal Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Bariatric Surgery for Severe Obesity in Two Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetes Mellitus in Neonates and Infants: Genetic Heterogeneity, Clinical Approach to Diagnosis, and Therapeutic Options.
- The cost of type 1 diabetes: a nationwide multicentre study in Brazil. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
18 September 2013
- Site of initial diabetes education does not affect metabolic outcomes in children with T1DM.
- Basal insulin analogues in the management of diabetes mellitus: What progress have we made?
- Sodium–Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors for Type 2 Diabetes: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- Survey on quality of life in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes in China.
4 September 2013
- Transition experiences and health care utilization among young adults with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Using the Internet-based upload blood glucose monitoring and therapy management system in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Disordered Eating Common in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes. (Free Medscape membership required.)
- Exploring diabetes type 1-related stigma. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Use of insulin degludec, a new basal insulin with an ultra-long duration of action, in basal-bolus therapy in type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
- Changes in basal rates and bolus calculator settings in insulin pumps during pregnancy in women with type 1 diabetes.
- Does the presence of thyroid antibodies affect the course and outcome of pregnancy in type 1 diabetic women?
- Impact of changes in metabolic control on progression to photocoagulation for clinically significant macular oedema: a 20 year study of type 1 diabetes.
- Obesity and metabolic surgery in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Blunted glucagon but not epinephrine responses to hypoglycemia occurs in youth with less than 1 yr duration of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Insulin requirements in patients with diabetes and declining kidney function: differences between insulin analogues and human insulin? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
28 August 2013
- Long-term outcome of insulin pump therapy in children with type 1 diabetes assessed in a large population-based case-control study.
- A contrast between children and adolescents with excellent and poor control: the T1D exchange clinic registry experience.
- Medical and psychological outcomes for young adults with Type 1 diabetes: no improvement despite recent advances in diabetes care.
- The Relationship Between Hemoglobin A1C in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes and Chaos in the Family Household.
- Effectiveness of Groups for Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and Their Parents.
- Direct diabetes-related costs in young patients with early-onset, long-lasting type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Depression and adherence to treatment in diabetic children and adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.
- Use of a web 2.0 portal to improve education and communication in young patients with families: randomized controlled trial. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Patients with Type 1 diabetes consuming alcoholic spirits have an increased risk of microvascular complications.
- Rationale Use of GLP-1 Receptor Agonists in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Renal glucose handling in diabetes and sodium glucose cotransporter 2 inhibition. Free full text available in HTML format.
21 August 2013
- Acute metabolic effects of exenatide in patients with Type 1 Diabetes with and without residual insulin to oral and IV glucose challenges.
- Disturbed Eating Behavior and Omission of Insulin in Adolescents Receiving Intensified Insulin Treatment.
- Chronic fatigue in type 1 diabetes: highly prevalent but not explained by hyperglycaemia or glucose variability.
- Detection of vascular risk markers in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Pediatric diabetes consortium T1D New Onset (NeOn) study: clinical outcomes during the first year following diagnosis.
- Impaired skin microcirculation in paediatric patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Ethnic differences in glycemic control and diabetic ketoacidosis rate among children with diabetes mellitus type 1 in the Negev area. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Achieving the management goals of type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents: is it feasible?
14 August 2013
- Can Trained Dogs Detect a Hypoglycemic Scent in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes? See also Diabetes Alert Dogs Don’t Detect Hypoglycemic Scent.
- Monthly use of a real-time continuous glucose monitoring system as an educational and motivational tool for poorly controlled type 1 diabetes adolescents.
- Metformin added to insulin reduces plasma levels of glycated-LDL but not oxLDL in young patients with type 1 diabetes and concomitant obesity in comparison to insulin alone - pilot study.
- Relationships and Health Among Emerging Adults With and Without Type 1 Diabetes.
- Adherence decision making in the everyday lives of emerging adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Calculation of HbA1c and glycated albumin from serially measured self-monitored blood glucose in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Psycho-behavioral changes in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- While not specifically about type 1 diabetes, this study argues for reduced consumption of sugar sweetened beverages: Human-relevant levels of added sugar consumption increase female mortality and lower male fitness in mice. See also Study: Sugar even at moderate levels toxic to mice health, reproduction.
7 August 2013
- Threshold-Based Insulin-Pump Interruption for Reduction of Hypoglycemia. Free full text available in PDF format. See also ASPIRE In-Home: Rationale, Design, and Methods of a Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Automatic Insulin Suspension for Nocturnal Hypoglycemia.
- Hypoglycemia in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: Epidemiology, Pathogenesis, and Prevention.
- Type 1 diabetes and living without a partner: Psychological and social aspects, self-management behaviour, and glycaemic control.
- Higher accuracy of self-monitoring of blood glucose in insulin-treated patients in Germany: clinical and economical aspects.
- SMBG Out of Control: The Need for Educating Patients About Control Solution.
- Importance of manually entering blood glucose readings when wireless-compatible meters are not being used with an insulin pump.
- Performance evaluation of three continuous glucose monitoring systems: comparison of six sensors per subject in parallel.
- A systematic review of physical activity and sedentary behavior intervention studies in youth with type 1 diabetes: study characteristics, intervention design, and efficacy.
- Risk behaviors for eating disorder in adolescents and adults with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Use of an Insulin Bolus Advisor Improves Glycemic Control in Multiple Daily Insulin Injection (MDI) Therapy Patients With Suboptimal Glycemic Control.
- Diabetic vitrectomy in a large type 1 diabetes patient population: long-term incidence and risk factors.
31 July 2013
- What's distressing about having type 1 diabetes? A qualitative study of young adults' perspectives. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Achieving the Management Goals of Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Adolescents: Is It Feasible?
- Feasibility of fully automated closed-loop glucose control utilizing continuous subcutaneous glucose measurements in critical illness: a randomised controlled trial. Free full text available in PDF format.
24 July 2013
- Cancer Incidence Among Those Initiating Insulin Therapy With Glargine Versus Human NPH Insulin.
- Continuous rise of insulin resistance before and after the onset of puberty in children at increased risk for type 1 diabetes - a cross-sectional analysis.
- The effect of metabolic and hormonal parameters on microalbuminuria in adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Race, Socioeconomic Status, and Treatment Center Are Associated with Insulin Pump Therapy in Youth in the First Year Following Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Paediatric estimated average glucose in children with Type 1 diabetes.
- Developing a hierarchy of needs for Type 1 diabetes.
- Impact of elective hospital admissions on glycaemic control in adolescents with poorly controlled type 1 diabetes.
- Variation in Resource Use and Readmission for Diabetic Ketoacidosis in Children’s Hospitals.
- Incidence and related risk factors of diabetic ketoacidosis in Guangdong type 1 diabetics.
- Influence of age at diagnosis on glycaemic control evolution in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Impact of blood glucose variability on carotid artery intima media thickness and distensibility in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- The Use of a CoolSense Device to Lower Pain Sensation During Finger Pricking While Measuring Blood Glucose in Diabetes Patients-A Randomized Placebo.
- Obstetric interventions for women with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
17 July 2013
- Social Media Made Easy: Guiding Patients to Credible Online Health Information and Engagement Resources.
- Perceptions of diabetes obtained through drawing in childhood and adolescence. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Detection and treatment efficacy of hypoglycemic events in the everyday life of children younger than 7 yr.
- Hypoglycaemia, fear of hypoglycaemia and quality of life in children with Type 1 diabetes and their parents.
- Impact of continuous glucose monitoring on diabetes management and marital relationships of adults with Type 1 diabetes and their spouses: a qualitative study.
- Infant Exposures and Development of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: The Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young (DAISY).
- The incidence of severe hypoglycaemia in pregnant women with type 1 diabetes mellitus can be reduced with unchanged HbA1c levels and pregnancy outcomes in a routine care setting.
- Pharmacodynamics of the long-acting insulin analogues detemir and glargine following single doses and under steady-state conditions in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- A population-based study of risk factors for severe hypoglycaemia in a contemporary cohort of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes.
- Associations and interactions between lipid profiles, retinopathy and nephropathy in patients with type 1 diabetes: the FinnDiane Study.
- Glycemic Control and Blood Glucose Monitoring Over Time in a Sample of Young Australians With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Type A Behavior and Risk of All-Cause Mortality, CAD, and CAD-Related Mortality in a Type 1 Diabetic Population.
- The Long-Term Effects of Type 1 Diabetes Treatment and Complications on Health-Related Quality of Life.
- Insulin oedema and treatment-induced neuropathy occurring in a 20-year-old patient with Type 1 diabetes commenced on an insulin pump.
3 July 2013
- Health Care Transition in Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes: Barriers to Timely Establishment of Adult Diabetes Care.
- Long-term Associations Between Serum Lipids and Panretinal Photocoagulation in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Liraglutide as Additional Treatment to Insulin in Obese Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- As Facts and Chats Go Online, What Is Important for Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
26 June 2013
- Developmental challenges of adolescents with type 1 diabetes: The role of eating attitudes, family support and fear of negative evaluation.
- Incretins and amylin in pediatric diabetes: new tools for management of diabetes in youth.
19 June 2013
- Reduced Hypoglycemia and Increased Time in Target Using Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery During Nights With or Without Antecedent Afternoon Exercise in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Basal and Bolus Insulin Requirements in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus on Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion (CSII): Effect of Age and Puberty.
- Self-Report of Hypoglycemia and Health-Related Quality of Life in Patients with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Severe Hypoglycemia and Diabetic Ketoacidosis in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes: Results from the T1D Exchange Clinic Registry.
- Factors associated with diabetic ketoacidosis at onset of Type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents.
- Frequency and severity of ketoacidosis at onset of autoimmune type 1 diabetes over the past decade in children referred to a tertiary paediatric care centre: potential impact of a national programme highlighted.
- Acute Hypoglycemia Impairs Executive Cognitive Function in Adults With and Without Type 1 Diabetes.
- Real-time continuous glucose monitoring during labour and delivery in women with Type 1 diabetes-observations from a randomized controlled trial.
- Personal and Relationship Challenges of Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Factors influencing the diabetes-specific health-related quality of life in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Dealing with the devil: weight loss concerns in young adult women with type 1 diabetes.
- Glucagon Underutilized Among Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Patients in Japan.
- Long-term hemodynamic and molecular effects persist after discontinued renin-angiotensin system blockade in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Insulin bolusing software: the potential to optimize health outcomes in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Telemedicine diabetes consultations are cost-effective, and effects on essential diabetes treatment parameters are similar to conventional treatment: 7-year results from the svendborg telemedicine diabetes project.
- Behavioral Health Care for Adolescents with Poorly Controlled Diabetes via Skype: Does Working Alliance Remain Intact?
- Resource Consumption and Costs of Treatment in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes under Intensified Conventional Therapy under German Real-Life Conditions.
- Effectiveness of a Spanish Language Clinic for Hispanic Youth with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of glucose measurement processing delays on clinical accuracy and relevance.
- Health-related quality of life - using the 15D instrument - of young adults with type 1 diabetes since childhood. Population-based Oulu cohort study of diabetic retinopathy.
- Sexual Dysfunction as a Marker of Cardiovascular Disease in Males With 50 or More Years of Type 1 Diabetes.
12 June 2013
- Observational study of diabetes management in type 1 diabetic school-age children during holiday versus school days.
- A randomized trial comparing the rate of hypoglycemia-assessed using continuous glucose monitoring-in 125 preschool children with type 1 diabetes treated with insulin glargine or NPH insulin (the PRESCHOOL study).
- Clinical update on insulin pump therapy in combination with continuous glucose monitoring.
- Associations of family meal frequency with family meal habits and meal preparation characteristics among families of youth with type 1 diabetes.
- Health-related quality of life associated with daytime and nocturnal hypoglycaemic events: a time trade-off survey in five countries. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Health Related Quality of Life among Norwegian children and adolescents with Type1 diabetes on Intensive Insulin Treatment. A population based study.
- Parental dyadic coping in families of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Has pancreatic damage from glucagon suppressing diabetes drugs been underplayed?
- Hormone replacement therapy for women with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
5 June 2013
- Performance Comparison of the Medtronic Sof-Sensor and Enlite Glucose Sensors in Inpatient Studies of Individuals with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Insulin degludec improves glycaemic control with lower nocturnal hypoglycaemia risk than insulin glargine in basal-bolus treatment with mealtime insulin aspart in Type 1 diabetes (BEGIN® Basal-Bolus Type 1): 2-year results of a randomized clinical trial.
- Short Sleep Duration Measured by Wrist Actimetry Is Associated With Deteriorated Glycemic Control in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Frequency of blood glucose testing in well educated patients with diabetes mellitus type 1: How often is enough?
- Determinants of self-monitoring of blood glucose in patients with Type 1 diabetes: a multi-centre study in Brazil.
- Psychological Treatment Improves Hemoglobin A1c Outcomes in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- 'It's not a disease, it's a nuisance': Controlling diabetes and achieving goals in the context of men with Type 1 diabetes.
- Early Electrophysiological Abnormalities and Clinical Neuropathy.
- Ambulatory arterial stiffness index in type 1 diabetes mellitus: any different during pregnancy?
29 May 2013
- Short Sleep Duration Measured by Wrist Actimetry Is Associated With Deteriorated Glycemic Control in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Heart rate variability and heart rate recovery in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Sex-specific-differences in cardiometabolic risk in type 1 diabetes: a cross-sectional study.
- A Multicomponent Motivational Intervention to Improve Adherence Among Adolescents With Poorly Controlled Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Study.
- Poor pregnancy outcome in women with type 1 diabetes is predicted by elevated HbA1c and spikes of high glucose values in the third trimester.
22 May 2013
- Detecting intentional insulin omission for weight loss in girls with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Do high fasting glucose levels suggest nocturnal hypoglycaemia? The Somogyi effect-more fiction than fact?
- Pregnancy outcome and glycemic control in women with type 1 diabetes: A retrospective comparison between CSII and MDI treatment.
- A 7-year follow-up retrospective, international, multicenter study of insulin pump therapy in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Intense physical activity is associated with better metabolic control in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Structural barriers to coping with type 1 diabetes mellitus in ghana: experiences of diabetic youth and their families. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Insulin Pump Therapy Provides Better Glycemic Control Among Type 1 Diabetics.
- Accuracy of Blood Glucose Meters Draws Scrutiny.
8 May 2013
- Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring or Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion, What Goes First?: Results of a Pilot Study.
- Real-Time Hypoglycemia Detection from Continuous Glucose Monitoring Data of Subjects with Type 1 Diabetes.
- GLP-1 agonists in type 1 diabetes.
- Carbohydrate intake in relation to BMI, HbA1c and lipid profile in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Factors associated with urgent cesarean delivery in women with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Pilot educational program to enhance empowering patient education of school-age children with diabetes.
- Quality of Life Greatly Affected by Hypoglycemia.
- Skin autofluorescence is associated with past glycaemic control and complications in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
1 May 2013
- Long-Term Metabolic Effects of Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Therapy in Type 1 Diabetes.
- The contribution of art therapy in poorly controlled youth with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Parents of adolescents with type 1 diabetes - their views on information and communication needs and internet use. A qualitative study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF (via link) formats.
- Developing parent expertise: A framework to guide parental care following diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes in a young child.
- A randomized trial comparing perinatal outcomes using insulin detemir or neutral protamine Hagedorn in type 1 diabetes.
- Insulin Degludec and Insulin Degludec/Insulin Aspart: A Review of Their Use in the Management of Diabetes Mellitus.
24 April 2013
- Lack of Association Between Residual Insulin Production and Glucagon Response to Hypoglycemia in Youth With Short Duration of Type 1 Diabetes .
- Healthcare cost of type 1 diabetes mellitus in new-onset children in a hospital compared to an outpatient setting. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The Management Of Type 1 Diabetes In Primary School: Review Of The Literature.
- Factors Associated With Microalbuminuria in 7,549 Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes in the T1D Exchange Clinic Registry.
- A practical, clinical approach to the assessment and management of suspected insulin allergy.
- Adult-onset type 1 diabetes and pregnancy: three case reports.
17 April 2013
- Clinical Implications and Economic Impact of Accuracy Differences among Commercially Available Blood Glucose Monitoring Systems.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring: Evidence and Consensus Statement for Clinical Use.
- Acceptability and Utility of the mySentry Remote Glucose Monitoring System.
- Analysis of a Remote System to Closely Monitor Glycemia and Insulin Pump Delivery-Is This the Beginning of a Wireless Transformation in Diabetes Management?
- Skin Autofluorescence Reflects Integration of Past Long-Term Glycemic Control in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Internet Psycho-Education Programs Improve Outcomes in for Youth With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Should more attention be paid to school performance in children and adolescents with diabetes?
- Patterns of self-management in pediatric type 1 diabetes predict level of glycemic control 2 years later.
- Pregnancy in women with type 1 diabetes: Have the goals of St. Vincent's declaration been met concerning fetal and neonatal complications?
10 April 2013
- Review: Continuous glucose monitoring reduces HbA1c more than self-monitoring in type 1 diabetes.
- Disordered Eating Behaviors in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: Prospective Pilot Assessment Following Initiation of Insulin Pump Therapy.
- A comparison of insulin detemir and neutral protamine Hagedorn (isophane) insulin in the treatment of diabetes: a systematic review.
- Does exercise improve glycaemic control in type 1 diabetes? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Parental perspectives of diabetes management in alabama public schools.
- Parent-adolescent conflict, treatment adherence and glycemic control in Type 1 diabetes: The importance of adolescent externalising symptoms.
- 2 year followup of patients with diabetes mellitus nephropathy showing albuminuria reversal following angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors.
3 April 2013
- The role of continuous glucose monitoring in the care of children with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems in the Classroom/School Environment.
- Nocturnal Continuous Glucose Monitoring: Accuracy and Reliability of Hypoglycemia Detection in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes at High Risk of Severe Hypoglycemia.
- Insulin Pump-Long-Term Effects on Glycemic Control: An Observational Study at 10 Diabetes Clinics in Sweden.
- Joslin Study Reveals That Dietary Fat Can Affect Glucose Levels and Insulin Requirements for People with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Clinical factors affecting the perception of hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes patients treated with personal insulin pumps.
- Fructose intake and cardiovascular risk factors in youth with type 1 diabetes: SEARCH for diabetes in youth study.
- Gastric Emptying of Solids and Its Relationship with Microalbuminuria in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Experiences of Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion in Pregnant Women with Type 1 Diabetes During Delivery from Four Italian Centers: A Retrospective Observational Study.
- Hormonal versus non-hormonal contraceptives in women with diabetes mellitus type 1 and 2.
27 March 2013
- Transition From Pediatric to Adult Care for Youth Diagnosed With Type 1 Diabetes in Adolescence.
- Insulin pump therapy in children and adolescents: Changes in dietary habits, composition and quality of life.
- Large Pre- and Postexercise Rapid-Acting Insulin Reductions Preserves Glycemia and Prevents Early- but Not Late-Onset Hypoglycemia in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Health-related quality of life and treatment preferences in adolescents with type 1 diabetes. The VIPKIDS study.
- Severe Hypoglycemic Episodes: A Persistent Threat For Children With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus And Their Families.
- Effect of dietary protein on post-prandial glucose in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: parental perceptions of child health and family functioning and their relationship to adolescent metabolic control.
- Adherence to Clinical Practice Guidelines in the Management of Children, Youth, and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes-A Prospective Population Cohort Study.
- Relation between energy intake and glycemic control in physically active young adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Accuracy assessment of online glucose monitoring by a subcutaneous enzymatic glucose sensor during exercise in patients with type 1 diabetes treated by continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion.
- Mortality in diabetes: pancreas transplantation is associated with significant survival benefit.
- Prevalence and related factors with the presence of albuminuria and its stages in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus (in Spain). Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Metabolic Effects of Chronic Cannabis Smoking.
20 March 2013
- The use of insulin analogues in pregnancy.
- A randomized trial comparing perinatal outcomes using insulin detemir or neutral protamine Hagedorn in type 1 diabetes.
- Adolescent and parent diabetes distress in type 1 diabetes: The role of self-efficacy, perceived consequences, family responsibility and adolescent-parent discrepancies.
- Latent autoimmune diabetes (LADA) is perched between type 1 and type 2: evidence from adults in one region of Spain.
- Insulin therapies: Current and future trends at dawn. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
13 March 2013
- Severe hypoglycemia and diabetic ketoacidosis among youth with type 1 diabetes in the T1D Exchange clinic registry.
- Whole-Body Heat Loss during Exercise in the Heat Is Not Impaired in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Personal and Relationship Challenges of Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetes-specific variables associated with quality of life changes in young diabetic people: The type 1 diabetes Registry of Turin (Italy).
- Emerging Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A Comparison to Peers Without Diabetes.
- Depression and risk of mortality in people with diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (link on HTML full text page).
6 March 2013
- Associations of Youth and Parent Weight Status with Reported versus Predicted Daily Energy Intake and Hemoglobin A1c in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Routine Sensor-Augmented Pump Therapy in Type 1 Diabetes: The INTERPRET Study.
- Variation of C peptide decay rate in diabetic patients with positive glutamic acid decarboxylase antibody: better discrimination with initial fasting C peptide.
- Accuracy of Continuous Glucose Monitoring During Exercise in Type 1 Diabetes Pregnancy.
- Salivary innate defense system in type 1 diabetes mellitus in children with mixed and permanent dentition.
- Sitagliptin as add-on therapy in insulin deficiency: biomarkers of therapeutic efficacy respond differently in type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A multicenter observational safety study in Swedish children and adolescents using insulin detemir for the treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- Pentoxifylline treatment for protecting diabetic retinopaty in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Use of dietary supplements in pregnant women in relation to sociodemographic factors - a report from The Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in the Young (TEDDY) study.
27 February 2013
- Continuous glucose monitors: current status and future developments.
- Comparison of the Effect of Insulin Glulisine to Insulin Aspart on Breakfast Postprandial Blood Glucose Levels in Children with Type 1 DM on Multiple Daily Injections.
- Absorption patterns of meals containing complex carbohydrates in type 1 diabetes.
- Coping and Psychological Distress in Mothers of Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Depression, disturbed eating behavior, and metabolic control in teenage girls with type 1 diabetes.
- Impact of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes on schooling: a population-based register study.
- Social Networking and Understanding Alcohol-Associated Risk for People with Type 1 Diabetes: Friend or Foe?
- Long-Term Glycemic Control as a Result of Initial Education for Children With New Onset Type 1 Diabetes: Does the Setting Matter?
- Patient-Centered Outcomes of a Value-Based Insurance Design Program for Patients with Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Eliminating insurance co-payments can improve medication adherence and management of diabetes.
- Diabetes Care, Glycemic Control,Complications and Concomitant Autoimmune Diseases in Children with Type 1 Diabetes in Turkey: A Multicenter Study.
20 February 2013
- Predicting the Optimal Basal Insulin Infusion Pattern in Children and Adolescents on Insulin Pumps.
- Effects of diabetes-related family stress on glycemic control in young patients with type 1 diabetes: Systematic review.
- 'The pump was a saviour for me.' Patients' experiences of insulin pump therapy.
- Glucose Variability Assessed by Low Blood Glucose Index Is Predictive of Hypoglycemic Events in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Switched to Pump Therapy.
- Physical Activity Energy Expenditure and Glucose Control in Pregnant Women With Type 1 Diabetes. Is 30 Minutes of Daily Exercise Enough?.
- Lipoprotein metabolism in patients with type 1 diabetes under intensive insulin treatment. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Prevalence of periodontal pathogens and metabolic control of type 1 diabetes patients.
- The risk of early cardiovascular disease in Lithuanian diabetic children and adolescents: A type 1 diabetes register database based study.
- The evaluation of peripheral neuropathy in youth with type 1 diabetes. See also Routine Screening for DPN in Children Needs to be Mandatory.
- The clinical utility of C-peptide measurement in the care of patients with diabetes.
13 February 2013
- Diabetic ketoacidosis at the onset of type 1 diabetes is associated with future HbA(1c) levels.
- Participatory Surveillance of Hypoglycemia and Harms in an Online Social Network.
- Subclinical hypothyroidism and dyslipidemia in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- A Profile of Self-Care Behaviors in Emerging Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
6 February 2013
- Evidence of a Strong Association Between Frequency of Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose and Hemoglobin A1C Levels in T1D Exchange Clinic Registry Participants.
- Does insulin pump therapy improve quality of life and satisfaction in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes?
- Online Communities Are Valued by People With Type 1 Diabetes for Peer Support: How Well Do Health Professionals Understand This?
- 1,5-Anhydroglucitol as a marker of maternal glycaemic control and predictor of neonatal birthweight in pregnancies complicated by type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Parental self-efficacy and online support among parents of children diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Social Determinants of Health on Glycemic Control in Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes.
- Comparison of Diabetic Ketoacidosis in Patients With Type-1 and Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus.
- The Effect of Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Receptor Agonist Therapy on Body Mass Index in Adolescents With Severe Obesity. See also GLP-1 receptor agonists associated with reduced BMI in adolescents with severe obesity.
30 January 2013
- Cross-sectional and longitudinal relationships of body mass index with glycemic control in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Maternal depressive symptoms predict acute hospitalization among children with type 1 diabetes.
- Medical care of pregnant women with type 1 diabetes - current guidelines and clinical practice. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The Link Between Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. (Free Medscape membership required to view.)
23 January 2013
- Most Youth With Type 1 Diabetes in the T1D Exchange Clinic Registry Do Not Meet American Diabetes Association or International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes Clinical Guidelines.
- Benefits of Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion (CSII) Therapy in Preschool Children.
- Blood beta-hydroxybutyrate vs. urine acetoacetate testing for the prevention and management of ketoacidosis in Type 1 diabetes: a systematic review.
- Clinical and socio-demographic factors associated with diabetic ketoacidosis hospitalization in adults with Type 1 diabetes.
- The Effect of Using the Insulin Pump Bolus Calculator Compared to Standard Insulin Dosage Calculations in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus - Systematic Review.
- Multiple daily injections of insulin versus continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion for pregnant women with type 1 diabetes.
- Frequency of Mealtime Insulin Bolus as a Proxy Measure of Adherence for Children and Youths with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Family involvement with the diabetes regimen in young people: the role of adolescent depressive symptoms.
- Impact of blood glucose monitoring affect on family conflict and glycemic control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
16 January 2013
- Multiple daily injections of insulin versus continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion for pregnant women with type 1 diabetes.
- No effect of insulin pen with memory function on glycemic control in a patient cohort with poorly controlled type 1 diabetes: a randomized open-label study. See also An analysis of "no effect of insulin pen with memory function on glycemic control in a patient cohort with poorly controlled type 1 diabetes: a randomized open-label study".
- Identifying challenges of living with type 1 diabetes: child and youth perspectives.
- Momentary Assessment of Social Context and Glucose Monitoring Adherence in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Evaluation of dosing and clinical outcomes in patients undergoing conversion of insulin glargine to insulin detemir.
- Monitoring young people with type 1 diabetes for diabetic nephropathy: Potential errors of annual ACR testing.
- HbA(1c) variability is associated with an increased risk of retinopathy requiring laser treatment in type 1 diabetes.
9 January 2013
- Metabolic control of insulin detemir in basal-bolus therapy: treat-to-target study in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Continuous glucose monitoring: current clinical use.
- Impact of Telemedicine Assessment on Glycemic Variability in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Triglyceride-cholesterol imbalance across lipoprotein subclasses predicts diabetic kidney disease and mortality in type 1 diabetes: the FinnDiane Study.
- Children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes and high HbA1c - a neurodevelopmental perspective.
- Differences in marital communication and parental attitudes between parents of healthy children and parents of children with type 1 diabetes.
- Current clinical status, glucose control, and complication rates of children and youth with type 1 diabetes in Rwanda.
- Home urine C-peptide creatinine ratio testing can identify type 2 and MODY in pediatric diabetes.
2 January 2013
- A Comparative Effectiveness Analysis of Three Continuous Glucose Monitors.
- Fear of hypoglycaemia in patients with type 1 diabetes: Do patients and diabetologists feel the same way?
- Benefits Of Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion On Quality Of Life.
- Dietary Proteins Contribute Little to Glucose Production Even Under Optimal Gluconeogenic Conditions in Healthy Humans.
[ Current Daily Care News | News from 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Wednesday December 04, 2013 16:27:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.