Legislative and Legal News from 2005
18 December 2005
- IRS Agent Wins Court Battle Over Diabetes Status.
11 December 2005
- Districts slow to adopt law allowing students to self-medicate.
- Diabetic lawmaker tries to raise awareness.
4 December 2005
- Bills aim for expanded health coverage.
6 November 2005
- Cheryl Botzet Declares Her Innocence.
30 October 2005
- Mother found guilty of murder for daughter's diabetic death. See also Detective: Mother treated daughter's potentially fatal symptoms like the flu, Diabetes expert says girl's vomiting probably lasted days.
- State orders diabetes training. (Free registration required.)
23 October 2005
- Nevada mother accused of murdering daughter by depriving her of insulin. See also Cheryl Botzet's Ex-Husband First to Take The Stand, County Medical Examiner Now Has Doubts, and Girl testifies about signs of mother's neglect before daughter's death.
16 October 2005
- School district settles lawsuit with diabetic.
- No standard for state's diabetic kids.
- Oregon school bus driver loses job after sick child told to get off.
9 October 2005
- Teacher Mistakes Boy's Insulin Pump For Phone, Rips It Out. See also Teacher yanks out student's insulin pump.
- Diabetes tests OK in school.
- Man in diabetic coma sues police who thought he was drunk.
1 October 2005
- Diabetes advocates push for cost reduction act.
- Tempe Union sued over diabetic testing. See also Forbidding a diabetic to carry his testing needle is outrageous, Diabetic claims school won't let him carry testing equipment, Diabetic student can't test self alone, Tempe student's diabetic testing the focus of lawsuit,
25 September 2005
- Bill would let schools give emergency diabetes injection.
- Care of diabetic students expanding within schools (free registration required).
- Insulin-using drivers granted exemptions.
- Baby Break.
- BT discriminated against diabetic worker (UK). See also the case [British Telecommunications Plc v. J Pousson].
- 2nd Circuit Upholds Barring of Expert's Testimony on Diabetes Drug.
- Novo Nordisk Sues sanofi-aventis for Insulin Delivery Device Patent Infringement.
11 September 2005
- Young diabetic sent home.
4 September 2005
- Diabetic girl not allowed to attend school.
- Diabetes Costs U.S. $98B.
21 August 2005
- Diabetic Firefighter Wins Against Municipality.
7 August 2005
- Transportation Bill Passed in Congress to Prevent Discrimination Against Employees with Diabetes. See also the text of the bill.
19 June 2005
- Effects of the State Children's Health Insurance Program Expansions on Children With Chronic Health Conditions.
5 June 2005
- The Texas House and Senate passed legislation specifically addressing the care of children with diabetes in public schools. The full text of the legislation is available in PDF format.
22 May 2005
- Bill lists treatment for diabetic students; Each school would have volunteer to be nurse's proxy.
15 May 2005
- Diabetic prevented from moving to Canada.
1 May 2005
- Families in South Carolina are encouraged to support Senate Bill 144, which will allow children with diabetes to carry their supplies with them while in school. The bill will be heard before the 3M sub-committee (House Medical, Military, Public and Municipal Affairs Committee) on May 3, 2005 at 2:30 p.m. in Room 427 of the Blatt Building, located on South Carolina State Capitol grounds.
24 April 2005
- American Diabetes Association Calls on Florida Legislators to Protect Children, Disabled and Poor People with Diabetes.
17 April 2005
- Disability Tax Credit benefits Canadians with diabetes.
10 April 2005
- The American Nursing Association opposes the American Diabetes Association model legislation that would permit trained non-medical personnel to help with the care of children with diabetes while at school. This includes, in the event of a medical emergency, advocating that schools do nothing except calling 911.
- The GAO has issues a report on Managing Diabetes: Health Plan Coverage of Services and Supplies.
- Health Insurance and Diabetes: The Lack of Available, Affordable, and Adequate Coverage. Also available in PDF format.
- Diabetes Advocates Paint the Statehouse Red. See also The smallest voice was heard.
27 March 2005
- Medical lapse caused death of inmate, autopsy finds.
- Diabetes bill could boost employment.
20 March 2005
- Diabetic contractor sent home from Iraq wants to return. See also Firefighter with diabetes may sue to return to Iraq.
- Diabetic detainee risks losing sight.
13 March 2005
- Families in South Carolina are urged to support Senate Bill 144, which would allow for testing and self-administration of medication in the classroom setting or at school-related activities.
- Mother jailed because child with diabetes missed school.
- Schools should do more to help kids with Type I diabetes according to Dr. Stephen W. Ponder.
6 March 2005
- New policy helps diabetic students; U.F. Regional School District will allow blood testing in the classroom.
- More syringes and needles available for people with diabetes.
27 February 2005
- Pump choice is being denied in the UK.
13 February 2005
- Insurance Rules Can Frustrate Diabetes Patients.
6 February 2005
- American Diabetes Association And DREDF Calls California Parents Of Children With Diabetes.
16 January 2005
- Officer uses pepper spray to subdue diabetic suffering from insulin shock.
2 January 2005
- Bill OK'd to let students test their own diabetes.
[ Current Legislative and Legal News | News from 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Sunday December 25, 2005 13:33:18
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.