Legislative and Legal News from 2010
15 December 2010
- JDRF Applauds Congress for Passage of $300 Million for Type 1 Diabetes Research and Thanks Supporters for Advocacy Efforts for Special Diabetes Program Renewal.
1 December 2010
- Pharmaceutical Marketing and the New Social Media.
24 November 2010
- In the state of Washington, the state Health Technology Assessment (HTA) Program is reviewing the "... efficacy, safety, cost, and health impact of glucose monitoring on clinical outcomes among patients with diabetes." Several statements in a paper commissioned by the HTA hint at restrictions in funding for episodic glucose monitoring for children and warrant serious concern among families living with type 1 diabetes, including:
Families living in the state of Washington are strongly encouraged to contact their elected state officials and comment on the safety and wisdom of limiting children with type 1 diabetes to one glucose check per day. Relevant documents for review include:
- "The effectiveness and optimal frequency of self-monitoring of blood glucose in patients is controversial. Several lines of evidence have suggested an association between glucose monitoring and increased discomfort, inconvenience and worsening of depression scores with regular self-monitoring, along with a lack of clinically relevant improvement in diabetes-related outcomes in patients who self-test." (page 8, final full paragraph)
- "... for ages 0-5 and 6-12, beyond one test per day, there was little improvement in A1C." (page 116, top of page).
- The NHS Technology Adoption Centre Launches Guide to Redress the Major Inequities Which Exist in the Provision of Diabetes Treatment. See also Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion - "Optimal Diabetes Management, Enhanced Quality of Life".
6 October 2010
- School insulin injections to be decided by court.
11 August 2010
- PWD Files Suit Over Insulin Deprivation.
4 August 2010
- Justice Department Enters Settlement with Rainbow River Child Development Center on Care for Children with Diabetes. See also SoCal child center settles diabetic bias claim.
28 July 2010
- Award-winning Macquarie Fields cop sues force for discrimination.
- Health Law Augurs Transfer of Funds From Old to Young.
14 July 2010
- Sacramento jury tells Wal-Mart to pay $400,000 to fired diabetic.
- New Health Coverage; Finding Insurance Online; Artificial Pancreas.
16 June 2010
- American Diabetes Association Issues Statement in Response to California State Court Ruling on Children with Diabetes in Schools.
- The Case of Insulin in California Schools.
- Nursing Politics Out of the Law.
19 May 2010
- Grand Blanc committee considers district-wide diabetes policy.
5 May 2010
- Bill would allow volunteer to help diabetic students.
14 April 2010
- US Investigates Florida Man On Fake J&J Diabetes-Care Products.
- District's nurses oppose Care Act.
17 February 2010
- California Parents of Children with Diabetes and Care Advocates Hail Isadore Hall, III Legislation to Fight Diabetes.
- The Care of Students with Diabetes Act was introduced in the Illinois state legislature.
3 February 2010
- Law Firm Files First Minimed Lawsuit in Federal Court.
[ Current Legislative and Legal News | News from 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Thursday January 01, 2015 15:28:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.