Diabetes News in the Popular Press from 2009
23 December 2009
- Sam's Diabetes: The Search for a Cure.
- Tween provides 6-year-old easier way to handle diabetes.
- Lasara Parents Arrested in Death of Daughter.
16 December 2009
- Celtics' Ray Allen copes with time away.
- Film Premiere Proceeds Go To Diabetes UK.
9 December 2009
- Pumping diabetes awareness.
- Animal transplants imminent.
2 December 2009
- The Future of Diabetes Research: Thoughts from JDRF CEO Alan Lewis (PDF).
- Virtuoso cellist takes a bow.
- Dangers of Diabulimia.
- Show goes on, but insulin pump still missing.
- Diabetes policy needed.
- New Accu-Chek Diabetes Link Launched.
- Flying off cliffs and reaching for the stars.
25 November 2009
- Thinking About Diabetes With Every Bite.
- Interview with Kevan Herold: Doctor, Researcher, and Diabetic.
- Rider never says never.
- YMCA trainer talks about his life with diabetes.
- Managing Diabetes and Sports is a video from Good Morning America.
- Would Your Carry Your Best Friend's Baby?
- Pay for insulin pumps, Opposition tells government.
- NHS 'must boost use of technology'.
18 November 2009
- Opportunity Knocks for CDEs Wanting to Improve Their Spanish.
- For young sufferers, staying vigilant is key to diabetes.
- Pilot study searches for improved treatment of very young diabetics.
11 November 2009
- NIH diabetes leader heading to UMass.
- Viking Allen Commits To Sacking Diabetes.
- UF receives $3 million grant to study type 1 diabetes.
4 November 2009
- Canyon all pumped up.
- More kids have diabetes, fewer schools have nurses.
- Former Cleveland Cavalier Chris Dudley Writes Book About Overcoming Hurdles of Diabetes.
28 October 2009
- Tricking diabetes gives children treat.
- Diabetes may create a chasm between patient, doctor.
- Banting birthplace creates Canadian shame.
- Comics take medical science to kids.
21 October 2009
- Giving blood with little pain.
- Boost for campaign fighting rare disease.
14 October 2009
- iPhone Apps Help Pro Car Racer Control Diabetes.
- Former Blazers star looking at governor's race. See also Dudley's possible bid could be a slam dunk for Oregon.
- More Patients with Chronic Disease OK to Dive.
- Diabetic First-Grader, Alert Dog Left Out Of Classroom.
- Man learns tough lesson when insulin delayed in mail.
- A New Way to Inhale, Not Inject, Insulin.
7 October 2009
- Raymore football player scores against juvenile diabetes.
- Winning on and off the tennis court. See also Elizabeth Profit: Diabetes & the Future of Pro Tennis and Official Website of Elizabeth and Mary Profit.
30 September 2009
- Granville pair organizes group for juvenile diabetes fundraiser.
- Pingu helps JDRF educate children about type 1 diabetes in the UK.
23 September 2009
- Some Diabetics Taking Big Risks While Trying To Save Money On Supplies.
16 September 2009
- Walsh Jesuit tennis player Nancy Joyce doesn't let Type 1 diabetes slow her down.
- Technology Helps Tame Colorado Teen's Diabetes.
- Two Mocs have 30-minute drill; UTC's Bass, Dockery dealing with diabetes.
9 September 2009
- Regular Continuous Glucose Monitor Use Increases Diabetes Control For All Age Groups, Studies Show.
- Diabetic teen's dog helps keep his sugar levels on track.
- Abnormal Response to Wheat Protein May Provide Clue To Cause of Type 1 Diabetes.
2 September 2009
- Is type 1 diabetes seasonal? See also Diabetes 'most likely to occur among children in winter'.
- Teflon-coated cells that could beat diabetes.
- 'They have given me my life back'.
26 August 2009
- Undergrad wins $100,000 to expand iPhone app for diabetics.
- Kennedy Untold Story: Lauren Standford is a report of a teenager with diabetes who wrote a letter to Senator Kennedy and was then brought to D.C. to testify about diabetes.
- Nick Jonas uses the pen, the press, and politicians to bring awareness to diabetic research.
- Two Drugs Disappoint as Type 1 Kidney Treatments, But Shine With Eyes.
- Immunoglobulin M (IgM) Foretells Cardiovascular Complications.
19 August 2009
- Nine months on the Protégé teplizumab clinical trial: How it started, how we are doing....
- Inspiration for kids who have to live with diabetes.
- Living with Diabetes includes a video.
- Diabetes brings together Bears' QB and Windsor boy.
- 2000 motorcyclists begin ride to raise funds for diabetes research.
12 August 2009
- New drug may put brakes on diabetes.
- Puppy is learning warning scents to protect 6-year-old diabetic.
- Surfing with Type 1.
- Taking the Needle's Sting Out of Diabetes.
- Imperial innovator in healthcare technology wins global award reports on Professor Christofer Toumazou who is developing an implantable silicon chip for patients with Type 1 diabetes.
5 August 2009
- Living with his diabetes; Fargo man receives award for taking good care of himself.
- Diabetes 101: School nurses become experts; A grant helps provide medical professionals with the right skills to care for Type 1 students.
- Program teaches teachers diabetes.
29 July 2009
- Ankeny girl meets with lawmakers and celebrities.
- Camp helping kids cope with diabetes.
- First young diabetes patient in Palestine receives insulin pump.
- Breakthrough in diabetes treatment.
22 July 2009
- Standards Might Rise on Monitors for Diabetics. See also How Accurate Are Handheld Glucose Meters?
- Do Contaminants Play a Role in Diabetes?
- Sotomayor's nomination is historic also because she is living successfully with diabetes.
- NBC Nightly News featured a story about type 1 diabetes that features the Diabetes Research Institute.
- Indy Lights Racer Charlie Kimball Will Not Let Diabetes Slow Him Down.
- Living her life to the fullest.
- Second Opinion: OmniPod gives girl normalcy.
- Diabetes doesn't stop U.S. setter.
15 July 2009
- Dreaming Up a Diabetes Center.
- Human testing on artificial pancreas.
- Barrington boy meets teen idol, partner in diabetes battle.
- Pitcher flourishes despite Type I diabetes.
- Valley Med launches first program in nation to link doctors and lawyers to address diabetics' needs.
1 July 2009
- Boris Kovatchev: Artificial Pancreas Could Help Diabetics.
- New shot aims to head off Type 1 diabetes; Shot is one of a handful of new immune therapies being tested around U.S. See also Experiment seeks to head off Type 1 diabetes.
- Interview with Manny Hernandez, Founder and President of Diabetes Hands Foundation.
- Carlyle focused on return to Braves 'pen; Reliever learning to live and pitch with diabetes.
- Non-compliance vs. diabetes self care: Are we still playing a blame game?
24 June 2009
- Insulin Pump Snatched From Diabetic Teen; Pump Stolen Amid Basketball Game At Park, Teen Says. See also Teen Gets New Insulin Pump After Theft.
- Joslin 50-Year Medal Winner Triumphs over Diabetes.
- Modesto child focuses spotlight on juvenile diabetes.
- No slowing down; Diabetes Couldn't Sideline St. John's Athlete.
- William H. Barton students raise $12,000 with diabetes fundraiser.
- Diabetes center unveiled; High-tech facility is named after couple who donated $1 million in an effort to raise awareness about different types of diabetes.
- Dogs being trained to sniff out diabetes.
17 June 2009
- Braves' Buddy Carlyle joins list of athletes with diabetes.
- Bears QB Cutler faces tough questions -- from kids. See also Cutler responds well to critics.
- Fun on the diamond: Local boy deals with diabetes; to compete in event at the Trop.
- Grueling ride for a good cause.
- Episcopal Academy rower fights through serious medical conditions.
- My son Sam has a life-threatening disease. But now we live in hope. See also Diabetes: The Silent Killer, an excellent audio program by BBC correspondent Justin Web about type 1 diabetes that focuses on his son Sam and his family.
- Diabetes Lobbyist Speaks Up.
- Raising Awareness for Juvenile Diabetes.
- 'Stunning' progress in diabetes treatment.
- Stem cells put to test as treatment for diabetes.
10 June 2009
- 'I thought insulin pumps were for lazy diabetics - now I'm hooked', says Steve Dixon.
- Braves' Buddy Carlyle joins list of athletes with diabetes.
- Telemedicine may improve care for school children with diabetes.
- Insulin pumps: getting smaller, more convenient, easier to use.
- 'Dream team' revealed to chase diabetes cure 'We've been waiting a long time for this' Four scientists who will research a cure for Type 1 diabetes. See also Sanford unveils global clinic.
3 June 2009
- Meeting the Challenge of Diabetes.
- Dealing with diabetes is part of Shea's game.
- Lizzie's new life: Teen becomes advocate for diabetes.
- Friends making strides to help control diabetes.
- Ironman Competitor with Diabetes Inspires Individuals with Diabetes to Live Without Limits.
- Family's delight as little Lauren gets a new lease of life.
- UK diabetics to be first in the world to try out new insulin pump.
- Help on way for chronic diabetics in Northern Ireland.
- Paediatric Diabetes Clinic: Helping parents and children overcome the disease.
27 May 2009
- Not one missed day for two graduates.
- Unbeaten on court, unbowed in life.
- 'I wrote the book I wanted to read'.
- Hospital steps in to fund pump for Lauren.
- Mother found guilty in daughter's diabetes death.
20 May 2009
- Two men punch and rob boy of his insulin pump.
- Lawsuit against two cities to be upgraded in light of man's death.
- Sotomayor's Medical History Sparks Wider Debate.
- Tattoos being used for medical alerts.
- Adult Stem Cell Implants Make Newly Diagnosed Type 1s Insulin-Free.
13 May 2009
- Children with diabetes: Is it safe to play sports?
- 'I believe under fives should be on a pump'.
- Diabetic motorist dies; lawyer says police beat him.
- Eating Like an Ironman.
- 'Our girl will have diabetes all of her life'.
- Someone 2 Know: Dr. David and Maryann Zucker.
- Polymers release insulin in response to glucose trigger.
6 May 2009
- Blog: Be prepared for traveling with diabetes. See also Traveling with Diabetes and Flying with Diabetes.
- Success of Clinical Research Depends on the Altruism of Many Volunteers.
- An apology to all those affected by diabetes.
- Living to play the game.
- Dealing with diabetes.
- I want others to get same chance as me.
- A call for standardized self-monitoring blood glucose education.
29 April 2009
- Dealing with Diabetes.
- Managing diabetes even more daunting in tough economy.
- Blood testing, mosquito style.
- Diabetes vaccine may be years away.
22 April 2009
- Kingsport Family Faces Challenge Of 3 Diabetic Children.
- Walkers Crowd Carowinds to Walk for a Cure.
- Diabetic heads home from blockade.
- Local Mothers Fight Diabetes.
- Teen speaks out about diabetes.
- Baseball's in their blood, too.
- Economy costing diabetics their health.
15 April 2009
- Doggies Rule! The Story of Hunter and Diva.
- Diabetics risking life and limb amid recession. See also Recession Preventing Diabetics From Getting Proper Health Care.
- Diabetes camp a treat for children.
8 April 2009
- Laid off, New Job and Life with Chronic Illness.
- Juvenile diabetes: A new lifestyle.
- Family copes with toddler's diabetes.
- Walk to Cure Diabetes: Two Local Children Talk.
- Mariners RHPs Morrow, Lowe deal with diabetes.
- Artist was pioneer in treatment of juvenile diabetes and carved his legacy of the natural world.
- New camp will help kids with diabetes.
1 April 2009
- Suburban 'Diabetes Clusters' Prompt Study.
- Diabetes takes center court.
- Family tries to get handle on child's diabetes.
- Dealing with type-one diabetes.
- 1 Sweet Ride.
- Camp Dia-Best offers kids fun, education.
25 March 2009
- Insulin, 1922.
- Children's diabetes technology fair explains insulin pumps and glucose sensors.
- "Jesus Phone 3.0" touches diabetic blogger. See also LifeScan Diabetes Management for Apple's iPhone.
- Girl has pledged to raise $18,000 for the Canadian Diabetes Association .
- 3 area youth to attend diabetes gathering.
- New toolkit could improve hospital care for diabetes.
- Insulin pumps for 'Gen Next' lifestyle in India.
18 March 2009
- Danbury boy pumps up to beat Type I diabetes.
- The Jonas Family Talks Diabetes.
- Lakers' Adam Morrison is thinking forward.
- Souderton Taekwon-Do student keeps disease at bay through activity.
- JDRF-Funded Study Takes First Step Toward Development of Medicines That Can Regenerate Pancreases.
11 March 2009
- Diabetes test under way at Christ.
- Children with Diabetes, You Are My True Inspiration.
- How a dog saves his owner's life three times a week by predicting her diabetes attacks.
- Diamyd Medical wins Swedish approval for diabetes vaccine study.
- Does Stem Cell Research Hold Diabetes Cure?
4 March 2009
- Doctors investigate effects of drugs on type 1 diabetics. See also Type 1 diabetes and Recreational Drug Use.
- Even Those With Medical Coverage Struggle with Costs.
- Study examining role of genetics and environment in type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetes proves no match for his passion for the game.
- The disease that's stalking my children, by BBC newsman Justin Webb.
- Nurse shortages hit diabetes kids in the UK.
- Local girl with diabetes has dream granted.
- It's small but it is changing lives.
- Diabetes in Children: A Comprehensive New Picture.
- No takers for insulin pumps scheme (in Australia). See also Insulin pump subsidy 'failure'.
- Musician manages his diabetes, but he almost waited too late.
- Exeter High School graduate found dead in Tennessee college dorm room.
25 February 2009
- Keeping Fit the cowboy way.
- Two M's pitchers have a common foe: diabetes.
- Making a difference at 5.
- 6,000 inspiring miles.
- NYer Of The Week: East Village Thrift Shop Gives New Meaning To Good Bargain.
- Diabetes doesn't slow Dallas Stars' Toby Petersen.
- Mom Creates Web Site To Monitor Child's Diabetes.
18 February 2009
- Helping a Diabetic in a Developing Country.
- Part 19 Of Our Award-winning Series "Our Children's Health" – Childhood Diabetes.
- Tulsa: Mom offers warning signs of diabetes.
- In the blood.
- Balanced life helps keep diabetes under control.
- Taking his message to Washington.
- For Uninsured Young Adults, Do-It-Yourself Health Care.
11 February 2009
- Pro Bowl QB Shares Bond With Local Kids.
- With a Tour of California spot, Team Type 1 is spreading the message to athletes with diabetes.
- Noncompliance Versus Diabetes Self Care: Are We Still Playing a Blame Game?
- Diabetes can't keep Dwyer's Kaminske, Malloy off the field.
- Steve Canterbury, Howard, wrestling.
- Living with diabetes; Boy comes far in dealing with his illness.
- For better or worse includes children.
- Early tests help predict diabetes.
- Key distinctions must be drawn in diabetes coverage.
- Molecule that suppresses immune response under study in type 1 diabetes.
28 January 2009
- Kerri Morrone Sparling Guest Post for "Diabetes, Day-By-Day".
- Diabetes At the Inauguration.
- Tackling a prickly problem.
- Young Girl Learns to Cope with Diabetes by Giving Back.
- For the sake of Jonty, mum gets set to tackle marathon.
- NFL Quarterback to Join Lilly Campaign.
- Jay Cutler Helps Children With Diabetes.
- Team Type 1 will visit elementary school to discuss diabetes in sports at Tour of California camps.
- Jodi's story: Roland-Story senior isn't about to let CF, diabetes get the best of her.
- Babies Know: A Little Dirt Is Good for You.
21 January 2009
- Central swimmer in control in the pool and in the treatment of her diabetes.
- CLU Notebook: Dealing with diabetes hasn't slowed Smith in the pool.
- Vanderkooi won't be slowed down in spite of setbacks.
- PREPS: California High's Perea a big three-sport star.
- Erin Doyle, mom on a mission to Washington, D.C.
- A different kind of courage.
- Playing with a smile.
- Nemours lands grant to study diabetes.
- Diabetic man died after police mistook him for drink-driver, inquest hears.
14 January 2009
- Type 1 diabetes: how schools are failing some children.
- A mom's fight against juvenile diabetes.
- Iron-willed diabetic; A Philadelphia triathlete refuses to let disease hinder his life.
- High-scoring Hornet lighting up the CAL.
- Obesity campaign to be changed due to bullying charge.
- Jupiter woman hopes foundation will help children with diabetes.
7 January 2009
- Spaniard to be first diabetic space traveller.
- Shelby High's Royster up to the challenge.
- Prep spotlight - Kelsey Loeffler.
- Everyday battle; ThunderBird won't let diabetes stand in way.
- Personal Experience Inspires Teen's Fundraising.
- Living with diabetes; Local man may hold the secret to a long life with diabetes.
[ Current Diabetes News in the Popular Press | News from 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 ]
Last Updated: Thursday January 01, 2015 15:28:59
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.