Diabetes News in the Popular Press from 2010
29 December 2010
- Bionic Pancreas: Artificial organ could improve control over diabetes.
- Gary Hall Jr.: Olympic medalist now a hero to diabetics.
- Girl planning bonspiel to raise money for diabetes research.
22 December 2010
- Novo Nordisk Partners with Charlie Kimball and Chip Ganassi Racing. See also INDYCAR: Who The Heck Is Charlie Kimball? and An Interview Charlie Kimball, The World's Fastest Diabetic.
- Life with diabetes intense, emotional for children and parents.
- Russia Approves First Animal-to-Human Transplant Procedure.
- Diabetes and YouTube.
15 December 2010
- Russian boy regains right to attend party.
- Funding crucial to pig cell treatment's future.
8 December 2010
- UnitedHealthcare hits some insulin users in the wallet.
- Brothers share more than the usual bonds.
- Students' Youtube Channel Gives Voice to Diabetics .
- Animal truly is best friend for diabetic.
- Ron Santo battled daunting opponent: diabetes.
1 December 2010
- Grandson almost died after doctor sent him home: woman.
- Olympian teaches children about diabetes.
- Diabetics ask: Why no sleek testing devices?
- Mother's worst nightmare turns to hope.
- 'Tales in the Insulin Vial': stories from the battle against diabetes.
- Type I diabetes does not hold back Billings teen.
- Type 1 traumas.
- Juvenile diabetes changes life of Creedmoor girl.
- Tempers flare among those with Type 1 diabetes.
- Transplant leaves diabetic insulin-free.
- Crystal Bowersox talks about her life with diabetes for Cambio Cares.
24 November 2010
- Diabetes' civil war.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd Foundation helps Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- Juvenile diabetes expert explains condition to Jefferson students.
- Alert dog is live-saving companion.
- Dog helps monitor kindergartener's diabetes.
17 November 2010
- Living with diabetes 50 years on.
- Sullivan not letting disease run his life.
- Diabetic boy sweet on life.
- Pet dog provides alerts for diabetic toddler.
- Madison kindergartner holds bake sale to raise money to support her diabetic friend.
- Norwich man’s 13-mile dash to see Canaries play.
- TELUS Diabetes "Balance" Campaign brings insulin pumps to kids in need.
- Dead in bed syndrome is Type 1 mystery.
10 November 2010
- Dealing with Diabetes at UMass. See also College Diabetes Network.
- Mother, Best-Selling Author, and Fundraiser: An Interview With Brenda Novak.
- Be aware of signs of type 1 diabetes.
3 November 2010
- A graduation gift from dad.
- CGMs, pumps and sensors for diabetes management.
- Diabetes doesn't mean a life of bland food, experts insist.
- Diabetes risk: Boy learning to live with Type 1 diabetes.
- Technology helps those with Type 1 diabetes manage disease.
- Type 1 Diabetes And Halloween Candy—Always a Bad Combo?
- Research into perforin protein which plays a part in type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetics lose 'must-have' drug.
27 October 2010
- Four kids, three with Type 1 diabetes, one 'crazy life' for this single mother.
- Lohr inspires himself to live out dreams.
- Diabetics push for better testing devices.
- Type 1 diabetes hasn't stopped him.
- Read about the recent meeting of Marlborough's Sweetest Kids.
20 October 2010
- Technology for Living: Innovations Transform the Lives of People With Diabetes.
- Neptune Beach girl helps raise money for Juvenile Diabetes research through granddad's Lynyrd Skynyrd band.
- X-Factor winner Steve Brookstein and Hollyoaks stars turn out for Pop 4 Diabetes.
- Living the sweet life.
13 October 2010
- A forgotten miracle drug is getting a fresh injection of life.
- Racer Craig beats diabetes to become Scottish champ.
- Wabash Student's Life Saved by Brothers.
- Staggered by diabetes diagnoses, family acts.
- Ryan goes distance to fight diabetes.
- Researcher confident of major breakthrough.
6 October 2010
- Major type 1 diabetes data study launched in Scotland.
- A made-in-India solution to a tragic health scourge.
- Singer Bret Michaels sending Hampton boy to diabetes camp.
- Motivated team player, always puts school first.
- Claire completes three peaks three-legged.
- Cycling: Athlete takes bad with good.
29 September 2010
- Walking the walk: Teen living with diabetes enlists friends to participate in fundraising event.
- W.Va. children help their mom monitor her diabetes.
- Pancreas transplant offers second chance at life.
- Rare form of diabetes doesn't slow Valpo's Bobos.
- How it is: Caring for a child with Type 1 diabetes.
- 'Wisdom of crowds' marshaled to solve type 1 diabetes.
- New insulin could cut need for daily injections.
- Dog Helps Detect Blood Sugar Drops.
- Iran performs 1st islet cell transplant.
22 September 2010
- Schools trained to properly care for diabetic students.
- Crystal Bowersox: Her First Interview on Diabetes.
- Training Smarter, Not Harder: An Interview With Melissa-Marie Kauffman.
- Jr Lancer Cheerleaders Support Ellie's Efforts to Find a Cure.
- Local Girl Publishes Book About Struggle with Diabetes.
- School nurses treat more than just 'boo-boos'.
- Fellowship Christian's Hunter Bryant plays football with diabetes.
- Service dog a 'hero,' guards student against illness.
8 September 2010
- Justin Webb: 'I have to believe in miracles'.
- Family discovers, adjusts to a 'new normal' with diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes not slowing Jets backup inside linebacker Kenwin Cummings.
- Camp helps children deal with diabetes.
- As the Quest for an Artificial Pancreas Continues, Europeans Look at a Novel Approach.
- Survey Data Reveals Shocking 'Insulin Pump Postcode Lottery'.
- The cruel cost of ignoring diabetes: Jane lost an arm and two legs to the disease because, like so many, she didn't take it seriously.
1 September 2010
- Diabetes Dynamo: Dr. Steven Edelman Makes a Personal Quest America's Health Intervention.
- Race driver puts diabetes in back seat.
- USF brings science home.
- Young drivers get defensive driving lesson with a medical twist.
- Teen manages life with Type 1 diabetes.
- Dealing with a child who has diabetes.
- Mo. service dog firm ordered to refund customers.
- The Diabetes Dude Ramps Up an Innovative Diabetes Awareness Campaign.
- Diagnostic anomaly: Illinois girl leads to creation of registry to detect rare form of diabetes.
- When the Worst Happens.
25 August 2010
- Diabetic's mom has school plan in place.
- Finally, the Pump includes a video interview of Kris Freeman, filmed during the Olympics.
- UW tight end catches on to playing with diabetes.
- Florida State RB Ty Jones earning praise.
- Diabetes can't slow Indy racer Kimball.
- Pro baseball player and insulin pump user Dave Hollins tells his diabetes story.
- TV Programme Unhelpful In Dispelling Diabetes Myths, UK.
18 August 2010
- Performer surprised by injuries after traffic stop.
- Response measured to call for diabetics to test blood sugar before driving.
- Environmental, maternal influences alter type 1 diabetes risk in children.
- On the move to cure diabetes.
- Gwynedd family back charter for young diabetics.
- Pharmacy students help diabetic kids just be kids.
- Milford's Dodge becomes poster child for medical tech.
- Hoyas' Austin Freeman Won't Let Diabetes Slow Him Down.
- Dylan Covey Spurns Brewers Because of Type 1 Diabetes. See also Covey declines deal after diabetes diagnosis.
11 August 2010
- Eve Samples: Three kids, three diagnoses — a family changed by diabetes.
- Mothers press for greater understanding of diabetes.
- Victory living with diabetes.
- USC kicker takes diabetes head-on.
- Bluefish's Jiannetti one of many diabetics who've found athletic success.
- OMG, more than one lesson from this diabetes study. LOL!
- Red Wine Ingredient Increases Insulin Sensitivity, Works Against Retinal Disease.
- Diabetics should consult doctor before fasting.
- MIT: Shining A Light On Diabetes.
4 August 2010
- Ru Taking Ur Meds? (Dr. Sez Texting Teenz Helps!)
- Diabetes diagnosis takes 12-year-old girl by surprise.
- Pump helps diabetic teen regain sense of normalcy.
- Ten Reasons to Test Your Blood Sugar.
28 July 2010
- New York Historical Society Brings to Life the Dramatic Story of the Discovery of Insulin.
- Canada's George Canyon talks to kids at diabetes camp in Arkansas.
- Racer pulls out in front of his illness.
- Olympic skier tells kids that diabetes isn't a handicap.
- Race In Brazil A First For Team Type 1.
- A role model for people with Type 1 diabetes.
- Strangers Give Insulin Pump to Boy.
- The Inside Pitch Exclusive: Cat Fight; Taylor battles Diabetes while making his mark on the field.
- Please Help! What To Do When You're Deemed a Diabetes Expert.
- Diabetics warned against fasting during Ramadan.
21 July 2010
- Haskell woman a thriving example of beating a disease.
- York U. diabetes study is a worldwide first, professor says.
- Champion is back on track after controlling illness.
- Sensor-augmented insulin pump can give Type 1 diabetics greater freedom.
- Santa Barbara researchers to test artificial pancreas.
- Singer-songwriter hopes to use her art to help others.
- Diabetes Monitoring Device Benefits Man and Man’s Best Friend.
14 July 2010
- Diabetic pilot in bid to break US flights record.
- Pump study could ease school insulin issues.
- UF study looks at links between children's gut bacteria, type 1 diabetes. See also Children's gut bacteria linked to type 1 diabetes.
- Colts DE aspirant Chick knows perseverance.
- Shot in the arm for Type 1 diabetes prevention in Australia.
- Lakewood family pleads for the return of lost insulin pump.
7 July 2010
- Olympic skier helps KoralKids cope with diabetes.
- Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Brandon Morrow manages diabetes with routine, faces New York Yankees.
- Diabetes doesn't slow down pro golfer Kelli Kuehne.
- Pump boosts Seb's life.
- Parents win insulin pump battle for daughter.
- Diabetes is often misunderstood.
- Coalition pledges $35m for diabetes care.
- Labrador helps diabetic girl.
- Traveling Wisely With Diabetes.
- Car stickers could help diabetics get help faster.
30 June 2010
- Fewer Dying From Type 1 Diabetes.
- Cardiff father cycles length of Wales for diabetic daughter.
- A (Safe) Place for Families in Need.
- Life-saving dog alerts girl to diabetes crash.
23 June 2010
- USF launches initiative for young diabetics.
- Artificial Pancreas Gets Real.
- Poorly girl's fight for £6.50-a-day monitor.
- Dreaming Despite Diabetes: Canadian country music star George Canyon visits Rutledge's Camp Kudzu.
- A Father's Inspiration Helps Charlie Kimball Race With Diabetes.
- Olympian inspires kids at diabetes camp.
- Bitter medicine after tow.
- Diabetic girl, 6, has life saved four times a WEEK by dog which knows when she needs insulin.
- Tyler's Guide for a Successful Vacation.
- Thank-you party fetes donors, volunteers.
- Why I Eat Like A Caveman.
16 June 2010
- The Type 1 Versus Type 2 Diabetes War. See also What People with Type 1 Diabetes can Learn from Type 2s.
- Allen's Biggest Fans Benched By Diabetes.
- Blackmar Balances Diabetes and Baseball.
- Almost half 'wrongly believe that diabetes can be triggered by a sweet tooth'.
- Coffing on a roll on women’s Futures golf tour.
9 June 2010
- All in the Family: Couple Struggles With Three Diabetic Children.
- Sammamish lacrosse players manage diabetes during games.
- Teen doesn't let diabetes stop him.
- Boynton provides inspiration and energy.
- Cyclists raise awareness for diabetes.
- Balancing carbs and classes.
- The Other: How Spouses of Diabetics Deal.
- Diabetes treatment changes with seasons, exercise.
- Glucose Monitoring for Children: Game On?
- Sub Antarctic Pigs and a Medical Revolution!
2 June 2010
- These athletes refuse to let diabetes stop them.
- Diabetic shock.
- Ironman Jay.
- Graham Thompson's push to help other diabetics.
- Province facing diabetes crisis, report suggests.
- New technology for diabetes patients includes an accompnying video.
- Children show the way in overcoming fear of diabetes.
- Kids with diabetes can get Nintendo points for testing blood sugar.
- Youngster leads the way with new diabetes treatment.
- Women Inspiring Life With Diabetes: An Interview With Mari Ruddy.
- 9-year-old: 'I love McDonald's Mondays'.
- Coast to Coast Walk for Diabetes UK.
26 May 2010
- Bret Michaels wins "The Celebrity Apprentice." See also Bret Michaels: On the Road to Recovery.
- Jonas Brothers Help Raise $250,000 for Diabetes.
- Diabetes has Celtics' Ray Allen and family fighting for the home team.
- Local boy takes part in diabetes study.
- Gymnasts using an insulin pump.
- The indomitable spirit of 'Diabetes Dude'.
- Future wizards win kiss with HAMlet.
- Schools 'letting down' pupils suffering from diabetes.
19 May 2010
- Children with diabetes can lead normal lives.
- Dr. Stan DeLoach Developing Youngsters' Power in Diabetes Self-Care: Dr. DeLoach Talks about Campamento Diabetes Safari.
- Diabetes forces Devon girl to move Plymouth schools.
- Parents forced to quit work to help diabetic children in the UK. see also Parents of diabetic children forced to give up work.
- Stolen purse contained $6000 insulin pump.
- A magical moment.
- Chris Dudley wins Republican nomination for Governor of Oregon.
12 May 2010
- The blood sugar battle: Prototype of artificial pancreas holds promise for better management of type 1 diabetes.
- New Agents That Keep Insulin Working Longer.
5 May 2010
- Artificial pancreas is a bridge to a cure for Annie and millions like her.
- Diabetes diagnosis no deterrent for local teen.
- Bret Michaels Leaves Hospital Expected to Make Full Recovery.
- Parents want Alberta to pay for insulin pump.
- Insulin in a Pill; A drugmaker is testing an alternative to diabetes injections, but many sizable hurdles remain.
- Popular Diabetes Drug Works Differently Than Thought.
- Diabetes centre opens in memory of tragic teen.
28 April 2010
- Jonas Brothers "Rock For Diabetes" At Danny DeVito's House. If you are interested in purchasing tickets for this special event, please contact Carly Stewart at (323) 361-1747.
- 5 Reasons That May Explain Why Type 1 Diabetes Is on the Rise.
- Flying With Needles and Meds Can Raise Security Flags.
- Joslin offers outpatient treatment for pediatric patients with new-onset diabetes.
- Diabetes patient speaks out on pig-cell trial.
- 'If we hadn't brought her in, she could have passed away'.
- Pump Action.
- Local sisters are finalists in national contest.
- Diabetes takes alarming proportions in Algeria.
- Research into stem cells of adults stirs hopes.
21 April 2010
- Parents' fear of hypoglycaemia impacts on children's diabetes management.
- Kimball won't let diabetes slow him.
- Taking on theory of controlling diabetes.
- Student inks book on subject he knows best: Himself.
- Diabetics Skip Insulin To Lose Weight.
- Scientists work to keep hackers out of implanted medical devices. See also Pacemakers and Implantable Cardiac Defibrillators: Software Radio Attacks and Zero-Power Defenses.
14 April 2010
- The alarm that can save diabetics' lives (so why is the NHS rationing them?). See also NHS must act on diabetes pump.
- Parents who worry too much about their diabetic child 'could be situation worse'.
- College Softball: Catawba's Marshall a record-breaker.
- Diabetic teens do listen; When mom and dad get involved, kids better manage condition, study shows.
- Ruth's pumped about diabetic aid.
- Utah Kids with Diabetes Get Motivated in Park City.
- Redesigned Chassis Pumps New Life into Insulin Management System.
- Couple Accused of Door-to-Door Scam.
- Parasitic Worms Could Become Basis for Type 1 Therapy. See also Fighting Allergies by Mimicking Parasitic Worms.
7 April 2010
- Interview: Samantha Katz, DiabetesMine Design Challenge Judge.
- Self-empowerment for teens with diabetes.
- Diabetes diets as different as its patients.
- Quincy woman plays role in helping to keep camp for diabetic children open this summer.
- This Really Won't Hurt a Bit: Wireless Sensor Promises Diabetics Noninvasive Blood Sugar Readings.
31 March 2010
- KCD senior is master of lacrosse, diabetes.
- MV's Cannon is beating the disease.
- Mother locates day care for daughter with diabetes.
24 March 2010
- Our Journey to Hope and Beyond.
- The Story of GAD.
- Akron: Children's Hospital tests diabetes vaccine.
- Diabetic racer Kimball has 'bionic' drive to win.
- THS junior helps others fight diabetes.
- In the Zone: D-Y's Miller a success story.
- Oakland A's: Taylor a role model while battling through disease.
- Fuld running down big league dream; Diabetes can't stop Cubs outfielder from competing for job.
- Diabetes presents challenges for athletes.
- Pro Bowling: Diabetes can't derail bowler's tour dreams.
17 March 2010
- Mom Says 'Just a Phone Call Away', Just Not Good Enough.
- Daily life with diabetes: Area 4-year-old deals with type 1 diabetes.
- Jays pair overcome diabetes.
- Chest cold, cold temps dog Kasilof musher.
- Diabetes: Do You Have It? Will You Get It? Find Out Now!
- Computer-Controlled Pancreas Could Close the Diabetes Loop.
10 March 2010
- CU Hospital's diabetes research sets standards worldwide.
- Managing diabetes: Should teachers play a role in assisting diabetic children?
- Hoping, coping while waiting for a cure to diabetes.
- A constant battle: Those living with illness take nothing for granted.
- Diabetes no Drag for Hobey Baker Candidate Conacher.
- Family Finds Comfort In Dealing With Diabetes.
- UW to coordinate diabetes research network.
- Elliott Yamin's earthquake scare in Chile: In his own words.
3 March 2010
- Fighting juvenile diabetes with vitamin D.
- UT Southwestern researcher ready to test new diabetes treatment in humans.
- Rebooting the Body examines efforts to eliminate the underlying autoimmunity of type 1 diabetes by restoring tolerance.
- Diabetic skier motivated by more than self, teammates and country.
- EIliott Yamin "Went Into Anderson Cooper 2.0 Mode" After Chile Earthquake.
- After diabetes diagnosis, 'Iron Andy' pushed himself to do more.
- Boy with diabetes is not a victim.
- When a dream can only stay a dream.
- Generous help sees James beat diabetes.
24 February 2010
- USA's Freeman has blood sugar crash in cross-country pursuit.
- Little loved one has diabetes, but laughter has outweighed tears.
- Call for a cure.
- Artificial Pancreas Project Update.
- Keller doesn't let diabetes slow him down.
- Variety brings Zoe spice of life.
- Girl with diabetes to receive some canine help.
- Dear Abby: Teen with diabetes might be able to have an occasional treat.
- SickKids scientists discover a genetic clue for Type 1 diabetes.
- Gone too soon.
17 February 2010
- Type 1 Diabetes holds "no limits" for Kris Freeman in the Olympics.
- Type 1 athletes compete.
- Boys' swimming: Virgilio won't be deterred by diabetes.
- Athlete tackles diabetes on, off field.
- Scholastic Art and Writing Awards: Carroll senior Dillon Olney's art is personal.
- Anchorage girl with diabetes to receive some canine help.
- Norwegian University Develops Self Help System To Monitor Diabetes Patients.
- iPhone Apps For The Masses: Health & Fitness.
10 February 2010
- Insulin pump win for children with Type 1 Diabetes See also Insulin pump subsidy boost (in Australia).
- Scots third in world for child cases of Type 1 diabetes – and it's getting worse.
3 February 2010
- Kevin Lewis refuses to be denied.
- Kris Freeman Skis for Gold at the Vancouver Olympics.
- Managing My Diabetes During RawUnity Powerlifting Competition.
- Former Roughrider John Chick speaks of his experience with diabetes.
- Diabetic children show pan talent.
- High-tech device gives local teen her freedom.
- Diabetes UK Announces Parliamentary Champion Winners.
- New source of insulin blossoming on the Prairies.
- Artificial pancreas is next goal for Type 1 diabetes.
27 January 2010
- Fighting diabetes, a ZIP code at a time.
- N.S. must fund insulin pumps.
- Man runs past his diabetes.
- Young diabetes sufferers 'at risk' of complications.
- How Did School Staffers Get Insulin Instead of Flu Vaccine?
20 January 2010
- What Lessons Those Carrots Are Teaching.
- Insulin Pumps Might Have Slight Advantage Over Shots in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetes Success Story: Tyler Curry Stevenson.
- Fighting disease with cord blood.
- Redcar mum's vow in memory of diabetic son.
13 January 2010
- Southwest High freshman's paper may have helped save a life. See also Biology project saves life of Fort Worth ISD teacher's daughter.
- Freeman hasn't let diabetes stop him.
- Sarah Rousey - Billiard Player. See also Billiards magazine makes local star a cover girl.
- Colleges: Clark has a keeper.
- Indianapolis Colts made an offer John Chick 'couldn't refuse'.
- Doctors use baby's cord blood to treat diseases.
- Digital Pharma: Virtual diabetes patient community launched on Second Life.
- Diabetes Technology and Intimacy.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Snags $52M Financing for Insulin Pumps.
6 January 2010
- Diabetes stabilized with insulin pump.
- Biotech firm signs research deal.
- O'side High mourns sudden death of sophomore president.
- Death of Johnson & Johnson heiress, Casey Johnson,raises similar health questions as in Murphy's death.
[ Current Diabetes News in the Popular Press | News from 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 ]
Last Updated: Wednesday December 29, 2010 09:14:54
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.