Diabetes News in the Popular Press from 2012
26 December 2012
- Boy's Christmas wish for diabetes cure.
- David Law Firm of Conway estblishes new scholarship for students with diabetes.
- dLifeTV Leaves the Television Set.
19 December 2012
- RYAN REED: Race against Type 1 diabetes must not end with a red flag.
- Type 1 Diabetic Running Across the Country.
- Doctors note increase in type 1 diabetes in children.
12 December 2012
- Longest surviving type 1 diabetes sufferer tells her story.
- Scientists aim to treat autoimmune diseases with worm-based therapy.
- Artificial Pancreas Studies Bring New Found Freedom to People with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Lady Mocs' Kayla Christopher dealing with diabetes.
- Service Dogs Pick Up Scent of Diabetes Danger.
- 12-year-old diabetic who cycled around nation to star in Roche TV commercial.
- Diabetes doesn’t slow girl’s activities.
- Diabetic youngsters find camaraderie at events.
- Lockport teacher's book raising diabetes awareness.
- The trouble with teens and diabetes ....
- If We Had Been Giving Our Daughter Vitamin D, Would She Still Have Developed Diabetes?
6 December 2012
- Learning to cope and finding hope.
- CdM's Reinhardt shows he can't be stopped.
- Langford girl takes Type 1 to the masses.
- Living with juvenile diabetes a constant learning curve.
- Diabetes dogs: K9 insulin monitors.
- Compassionate canine.
- Donors help girl, 6, get diabetes alert dog.
- Cord blood may be the key to beating type 1 diabetes.
- Couple in diabetes prayer death going before state Supreme Court.
28 November 2012
- Child and Teen Deaths from Diabetes Plummet Over 41-Year Period.
- Mysterious spike in Type 1 Diabetes.
- The difference between Type 1 and 2.
- Baby has rarest form of diabetes.
- 'Nutcracker' Star Overcomes Type 1 Diabetes For Role.
- Toddler's collapse led to shock diagnosis for mum.
- Parenting Kids With Type 1 Diabetes.
- A new normal: Young adults don't have to be derailed by Type 1 diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes not just a kids disease.
- Train N.J.'s police to spot diabetes: Opinion.
- Woman gets diabetic alert dog with help from community.
21 November 2012
- World renowned diabetes researcher at CU Denver dies; colleagues mourn.
- Golfer Michelle McGann is on a mission: ‘I want to help every Type 1 diabetic that I can’.
- Diabetes: a lost childhood.
- Diabetic alert dog to help Enid girl and family manage disease.
- Brennan’s Hero - Service dog helps Peculiar boy cope with disease.
14 November 2012
- Living well together: Couple has managed woman’s diabetes for 67 years.
- Diabetes researchers look at cellular-level transplants as bridge to a cure.
- Parents 'unaware of type 1 diabetes symptoms'.
- Technology improving diabetes patients’ quality of life.
- For teen, fight to cure diabetes is personal.
7 November 2012
- Charlie Kimball - Diabetic Racer - Racing.
- Cutler has learned how to deal with diabetes.
- Report on fewer children dying from diabetes offers good, but not celebratory, news.
- One family's story of living with diabetes after son's diagnosis.
- Fife family's joy as insulin pump 'liberates' young diabetic Tommy Black.
- Diabetes sufferers misuse insulin to lose weight, says charity.
31 October 2012
- We Take S.H.O.T.s.
- Hammond school nurse focuses on diabetes education.
- One run. One man. One goal.
- Recognition for decades spent living with diabetes.
- When grandma was in trouble, 6-year-old knew what to do. See also Independence boy's quick thinking saves grandma's life.
- ViaCyte gets funding for potential diabetes cure.
24 October 2012
- Provincial insulin pump program to be launched spring 2013: Alberta government.
- Two Long Island specialists seek to heighten diabetes awareness in local schools.
- With Cat and Dog Diabetes Rates on the Rise, UPenn Offers Canine Diabetes Trial.
- Two diabetic sufferers reveal the truth behind their battle with the illness.
- Dublin H.S. Student Wants To Teach Others About Type 1 Diabetes At Columbus Marathon.
- N.J. officials call for investigation into police treatment of diabetic shock victims.
- Girl, 4, falls into life-threatening diabetic coma after misdiagnosed with minor infection at NHS walk-in centre.
- Roche continues to restructure diabetes unit.
18 October 2012
- Diabetic alert dogs save lives.
- Service dog provider puts Groves family on alert.
- Family: Service dog for diabetic child fails at job.
- Yale Football: Roy Collins meeting the challenge of an athlete managing diabetes.
10 October 2012
- Medical Alert Service Dog, Teague, new student at St. Ann Catholic School.
- The dog 'nose:' Diabetic alert dogs proving better than tech tools.
- For diabetic children, a camping experience.
- Toddler Learning to Manage Type One Diabetes.
- Colorado's Will Pericak hopes to inspire others with Type 1 diabetes.
- Parents’ shock over life-changing illness.
- Diabetes can be life altering, not life ending if managed properly.
- How to talk to your children about diabetes.
- Eli Lilly And The State Of The Insulin Battle.
- Blood money: Black, gray markets for diabetes test strips a big business.
3 October 2012
- Connor, 6, hailed for quick actions to save diabetic father.
- UCLA vs. Colorado: Will Pericak excels -- Type 1 Diabetes and all.
- Highs and lows: Local author shares stories of Type 1 diabetes.
- Mum campaigning for diabetic children to get life-changing equipment on NHS.
- It’s not easy, but he takes it all in stride.
- To prevent complications of type 1 diabetes, company looks to C-peptide.
26 September 2012
- Reminding Myself That My Life Is More Than Diabetes.
- Rockets' Forbes believes diabetes helped further career.
- The Force is with Evan and Chewy.
- Managing Diabetes With Your iPhone: Glooko Now Supports 17 Different Glucose Meters.
- Arizona mom demanding answers after diabetic son dies at hands of spiritual healer.
19 September 2012
- High school volleyball: Buffalo’s Persinger finds success, despite maladies.
- Ore City boy with Type I Diabetes gets dog trained to sense blood sugar levels.
- Liverpool girl will get her diabetic alert dog this month.
- Vacaville youth is youngest Bay Area spokesman for juvenile diabetes.
- Living with diabetes: Brown family adjusts to life with Gracie’s condition.
- Suspicious death of Joe Fitzpatrick at home of 'healer' under investigation.
12 September 2012
- Diabetes not slowing down IWU Sophomore Klein.
- Camarillo's Kimball ready for IndyCar season finale.
- The pump has given me greater freedom.
- Diabetes charity slams PCT.
5 September 2012
- 18-year-old diabetic finishes Ironman.
- Local teen with diabetes establishes fund to help children receiving medical care.
- Dogs warns boy when diabetic dangers arise.
- Little League Champ Won't Let Diabetes Hold Him Back.
- Friend learns about diabetes.
30 August 2012
- Study Attempts to Reverse Autoimmunity in Type 1 Diabetes.
- A $21,000 alert dog could change lives of 3-year-old's family in Carnegie.
- IndyCar racer laps diabetes.
- Long Distance Runner Battles Diabetes On Cross Country Trek.
- Diabetic pumped up about change.
- Diabetes on Campus: One College Student’s Experience.
- Diabetes doesn't keep Kimball from IndyCar racing.
- Confusion Over Diabetes Types Adds to Patients' Woes.
- Local off-road group hosts fundraiser Saturday for diabetic boy, alert dog.
22 August 2012
- Diabetic's mum upset at treatment.
- Public Radio’s Kurt Andersen Tackles Misunderstandings About Diabetes.
- Diabetic alert dog an 'extra, safe tool' for 6-year-old.
- Family Pets Turned Into Diabetic Alert Dogs.
- ARCA: Ryan Reed Not Letting Type 1 Diabetes Sideline His Dreams.
- Teenage Diabetic Works To Find Cure For Disease.
- Children attend diabetes camp.
- Young diabetic to represent country.
- Daily life with type 1 diabetes.
- Canadian kids with diabetes compete in international soccer tournament.
8 August 2012
- Children with Diabetes Provides Support.
- New hope to stop Type 1 Diabetes before it occurs.
- Support network forms for kids with Type 1 diabetes.
- Football players help 7-year-old tackle diabetes.
- Scientist creates insulin patch.
1 August 2012
- Chef Sam Talbot leads a sweet life.
- Bluffton boy grew up overnight when diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.
- What it takes to make school a safe place for students with diabetes.
- National type I diabetes prevention trial now an option for younger children. See also Beating Diabetes Before It Happens.
- Experimental Peptide Preserves Beta-Cells in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Shared Appointments Showing Success For Diabetes Patients.
25 July 2012
- Worcester, Mass. doctors praising 1 athlete for overcoming challenges.
- Diabetes alert dog is boy’s best friend.
- Charlottetown boy heading for World Diabetes Cup.
- Local family battles 'beast of a disease'.
- Diabulimia: The Illusion of Control.
18 July 2012
- IndyCar's Charlie Kimball makes impact on and off the track.
- London 2012: Diabetes girl on carrying torch.
- Melanie Chisholm helped save brother from diabetic coma.
- Need to check your blood sugar? There's an app for that.
- Diabetes Service Dog Gives Woman A New Leash On Life.
- Man admits importing counterfeit diabetic test strips, which sold in Allentown.
4 July 2012
- Diabetes Reversed in Mice Using Stem Cells. See also University of B.C. scientists use embryonic stem cells to deal with Type 1 disease and Stem Cell Treatment for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetic alert dog becoming lifesaver for Myrtle Beach girl.
- Service dog helps Kansas girl manage diabetes.
- Dog ‘Rescues’ Union Family.
- Swimmers dive in to raise cash for charity.
- More Than Just a Summer Camp.
27 June 2012
- Jessepalooza this Sunday. See also Jessepalooza.
- PSA May Be Unreliable in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Kids gang up to cope with diabetes HappyDolls carry messages around the world.
- Two siblings bike across America for diabetes research.
20 June 2012
- Artificial pancreas that helps diabetics sleep safely at night.
- Film raises awareness for young diabetics.
- Can an artificial pancreas defeat diabetes?
- This New Artificial Pancreas Could Solve Type 1 Diabetes.
- California teen reaches X-Games despite struggles with Type 1 diabetes.
- USF Diabetes Center Targets Type 1 In Families.
13 June 2012
- Progress Continues Toward Artificial Pancreas. See also Trial of artificial pancreas gives diabetes patients a break.
- Pricks and Needles: What Living With Type 1 Diabetes Is Like.
- TSA agrees to brief agents following incident at SLC International Airport.
- NFL QB's donation allows first ever children's diabetes camp.
6 June 2012
- Researchers Offer Free Screening For Relatives Of Type 1 Diabetes Patients.
- Telus Walk to Cure Diabetes gives hope to patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Taking control of Type 1 diabetes - endo days.
- In My Shoes: Learning more about Type 1 diabetes.
- Kenya: Safaricom Donates Sh5 Million for Diabetes Walk.
30 May 2012
- Diabetic College Students Juggle Glucose Levels and Class.
- Patient perspectives: Kerri Morrone Sparling.
- Type I Diabetes doesn't keep Young from catching for South Central .
- Youngster makes the best of a bad situation.
- Type 1 diabetes keeps young dancer on his toes.
- Seeking a way to monitor son’s diabetes, family goes to the dogs.
23 May 2012
- Bionic Pancreas Technology.
- A Diabetic Alert Dog Can Keep a Monroe Toddler Safe.
- Pumps 4 kids - the campaign rolls on.
16 May 2012
- We can be heroes.
- Diabetic alert dog 'lifesaver' for 8-year-old boy.
- Fundraiser will help purchase medical alert dog.
- Diabetes doesn’t keep Karz in the corner.
- Type 1 Diabetes - CNN iReport.
9 May 2012
- New Push to Treat the Other Diabetes .
- Side Effect for Children: Day-Care Dilemmas. See also For Toddlers With Diabetes, The Challenge of Child Care.
- Informed Patient: Doctors Ramp Up Type 1 Diabetes Screening.
- Diabetic teen upset with TSA screeners at Salt Lake City Airport.
- South Devon man is among longest surviving diabetes patients.
- Giants and Reid hit the bull's-eye with diabetes initiative.
2 May 2012
- Quick Thinking 9 Year-old Saves Diabetic Sister's Life.
- Packers tight end Crabtree fights brave battle with his wife.
- Award-Winning Editor Becomes Renowned JDRF Advocate.
- TD1: Juvenile Diabetes on the Rise Is Not So Sweet!
25 April 2012
- My 5th Grader Was Groped By TSA.
- When It Comes To A1C Blood Test For Diabetics, One Level No Longer Fits All.
- Seizing each day: Local mom establishes non-profit to support families with Type 1 diabetes.
- Draft Dreams: One-handed Diabetic Overcomes, Hopes for NFL Shot.
- Young diabetic is force behind annual car wash.
- Vaccine trial volunteers get a spray.
- First-grader to get diabetic alert dog.
- Quake helps Jake keep diabetes at bay.
- Thomasville Family Saving Up for Diabetes Alert Dog.
- Family of tragic Halsall teen who died from undiagnosed Type 1 diabetes take awareness campaign to Downing Street.
18 April 2012
- To Love a Diabetic.
- Program helps keep diabetic teen drivers safe.
- Great-grandfather dedicates diabetes medal to late wife.
- Former sailor from Eriskay in oldest bungee jump claim.
- Cumbrian diabetic of 50 years backs more research campaign.
- Refugio Girl With Diabetes Receives Service Dog.
- Diabetes dog detects low Glucose levels.
11 April 2012
- Sam Talbot, Top Chef.
- Triathletes don't let diabetes stop them.
- Easter Bowl competitor, Teen with Type 1 diabetes plays tennis with glucose monitor, insulin pump.
- £1.5m cash boost for young people with diabetes.
- Preparing for Pregnancy with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetes research reveals inconsistencies in care.
4 April 2012
- Parents: Educate Yourselves About Type 1 Diabetes.
- Freemans win 50K title at US Championships.
- Finding out I was diabetic.
- 5-year-old's pup can detect diabetes ups and downs.
- Diabetes care standards for children linked to financial penalties (in the UK).
28 March 2012
- My Story: Planning a healthy pregnancy with type 1 diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes challenges family.
- Mom helps diabetic daughter create Diabetic Barbie.
- Community Helps Refugio Girl Get Diabetic Alert Dog.
- Just Don’t Do Nothing!
- Tawa College teen shows huge talent.
- Paramedics praise Ryan Carson lifesaving call.
- Former Williamson employee sues, claims he was fired because of diabetes.
- Diabetic-driver monitoring urged by victim's sister.
21 March 2012
- Robert P. Krause; 90; engineer for first manned space flights; diabetic for 85 years.
- Triathletes don't let diabetes stop them.
- New technology helps teen musician deal with diabetes.
- Something Soft to Curb the Prick of Insulin.
- Wickford man thanks son for saving his life.
- Funeral for insulin pioneer's patient Sheila Thorn.
- Mansfield HS Senior Dies Unexpectedly, Final Tweets Signaled Problem.
14 March 2012
- Give unused insulin to help diabetics without insurance.
- Norwalk family grows with the addition of diabetic alert dog.
- Finding their way: Diabetic preteens aim for summer cam.
- Medal given to Northampton woman who has had diabetes for 70 years.
- Team Type 1 boss ‘shocked’ at California exclusion.
7 March 2012
- Artificial pancreas gives girl a vacation from diabetes. See also NH Girl Tests Artificial Pancreas.
- Meter restrictions upset diabetics.
- Insulin pump transforms Graham’s life.
29 February 2012
- US to trial Victoza medication in teens with type 1 diabetes.
- Girl Finds Strength in Fostering Diabetic Dog.
- Henley stepping up on and off the ice.
- Fourth-Grader's Diabetic Alert Dog Will Be Life-Changer.
- Diabetic children and teenagers fitted with insulin pumps.
- Uncovering clues to Type 1 diabetes.
22 February 2012
- Twins key to juvenile diabetes study at VU.
- Living with childhood diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes affects Community High students.
- Women told not to skip insulin jabs.
- Iredell family welcomes service dog for diabetic sons.
- Diabetic alert dogs can sniff out health problems.
- 911 Dispatcher Designs Diabetic Warning For Cars.
- After Death of Loved One, Blog Helps Rutgers Student Heal.
15 February 2012
- Sam Talbot's "Sweet Life" with Diabetes.
- Swimmers advance from sectionals to district meet.
- Young Children with Diabetes, Their Doctors Speak Out.
- Against All Odds; Ryan Reed, Race Car Driver With Type 1 Diabetes, Prepares For Historic Debut At Daytona With Venturini Motorsports.
- 'Belly bottom': A graphic warning of what happens when diabetics inject insulin at the same site every day.
- Houston-Area Family Gains Diabetic Alert Dog.
- Smartphone monitoring system puts diabetics, parents at ease.
8 February 2012
- Rays' Fuld shows heart as his legend grows.
- Rays star Sam Fuld hosts camp for kids with diabetes at USF. See also 'Super Sam' empowers youths
- Wrestlers don’t let diabetes keep them down.
- Cyclists overcome diabetes.
- Baxter woman named semifinalist for national 'Best of You' contest.
- School won't inject diabetic girl.
- Skittles' call goes above and beyond.
- Girl & dog bond over type 1 diabetes.
1 February 2012
- TSA mistakes insulin pump for gun, causing LAX security scare.
- Diabetics could lose their driving licences in the UK.
- Mum had to pin me down to give me an insulin jab.
- The Badge of Courage.
25 January 2012
- Diabetes Mystery: Why Are Type 1 Cases Surging?
- Reader’s choice adventurer: Jen Hanson.
- Ex-’Top Chef’ contestant: Diabetes not a food prison.
- 'What a special person' — father leads tributes to Carnoustie woman Dr Leigh Ellison.
- Police investigating whether medical condition caused last Friday's crashes.
18 January 2012
- Snowboarder Sean Busby paves way for children with diabetes.
- Local Family Copes With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Managing diabetes: Longmont woman models disease management on elite cycling team.
- There’s No Shame in Taking Insulin Injections in Public.
- CU Med School’s Barbara Davis Center offers new insulin pump in clinical trial.
- Minnesota researchers on the cusp of a cure.
- How a cup of coffee a day may help to keep type 2 diabetes at bay.
- Paula Deen: Why I Didn't Tell Anybody I Have Diabetes.
11 January 2012
- Miracle on Bloor Street.
- Rays Sam Fuld to host diabetes sports camp at USF.
- Diabetes affects millions; society should not stigmatize its victims.
4 January 2012
- Jeremy Irvine Loaned His Body Out To Science For Medical Trials.
- Families await artificial pancreas until cure for diabetes.
- Prep girls basketball: Tomales' Azevedo manages Type 1 diabetes while playing as a major contributor for the defending section champions.
- Perth family plays key role in hunt for diabetes cure.
- Type 1 diabetes prevention 'better than cure'.
[ Current Diabetes News in the Popular Press | News from 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 ]
Last Updated: Thursday January 01, 2015 15:29:00
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.