Research News from 1996
- Insulin cell transplant a success in mice, report scientists from the Johns Hopkins Medical School.
- Treatable Type 1 Diabetes Associated Illnesses, from the the Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, describes a "group of illnesses which occur with greater frequency among patients with type I diabetes and their family members."
- Evidence of a Relationship Between Childhood-Onset Type 1 Diabetes and Low Groundwater Concentration of Zinc (from Diabetes Care, Volume 19, Number 8, August 1996)
- Researchers recommend that prolonged use of nicotinamide after IDDM diagnosis should be tested. (Dec 96)
- Rezulin (troglitazone) has been approved by the US FDA Advisory Committee. This drug is for patients with Type 2 diabetes. (14 Dec 96)
- Biocontrol Technology, Inc. recently submitted a protocol to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the upcoming in-home study for its Diasensor 1000. (14 Dec 96)
- BCG Vaccination Given After Onset of Type 1 Diabetes Not Helpful (November 16, 1996)
- FDA requests an in-home study to finalize the approval process of the Diasensor 1000 (November 14, 1996)
- Abbot and SpectRx Announce Agreement on Painless Bloodless Technology for Monitoring Personal Glucose
- Electronics Delay Slows Development Progress Of Cygnus Glucowatch(Tm). children with DIABETES has several other stories about the GlucoWatch.
- Implantable Insulin Pumps, from Clinical Diabetes, Volume 14, No. 2, March/April 1996.
- Islet Xenotransplantation: How Sweet It Is by Jeffrey L. Platt, Departments of Surgery, Pediatrics, and Immunology Duke University.
- Nicotinamide's Effects on Glucose Metabolism in Subjects at Risk for IDDM is briefly summarized in the November 1996 issue of Diabetes.
- Normalization of Diabetes in Spontaneously Diabetic Cynomologus Monkeys by Xenografts of Microencapsulated Porcine Islets without Immunosuppression (October 27, 1996)
- The Human Gene Map: Juvenile Onset Diabetes
- Biocontrol Announces FDA Meeting (October 25, 1996)
- Glucowatch by Cygnus: Latest Update (Fourth Quarter, 1996)
- Pill Might Prevent Juvenile Diabetes from The New York Times. (September 24, 1996)
- Pill To Prevent Diabetes Being Tested (September 10, 1996)
- Scientists at the National Insitute of Health plan to study insulin capsules for the prevention of Type 1 diabetes.
- SEC Accuses Futrex Incorporated of Fraud (September 24, 1996)
- Doctoral Study to Link Adherence and Metabolic Control to Psychological Variables (September 20, 1996)
- The US House of Representatives will investigate FDA handling of Biocontrol Technology's 510(k) submission. (September 20, 1996)
- Follow-Up to Cow's Milk Not Linked to Type 1 Diabetes Report (September 14, 1996)
- Cow's Milk Not Linked to Type 1 Diabetes (August 28, 1996)
- Florida researchers embark on major studies of oral insulin capsule to prevent diabetes (April 25, 1996)
- A Potential New Diabetes Treatment Would Help Patients Grow New Pancreas Cells -- In Their Arm (1 August 1996)
- Cortecs International is working on an development of an oral formulation of insulin.
- Can Type 2 Diabetes be Prevented? (10 June 1996)
- Biocontrol Updates Progress of Diasensor 1000 (TM) Sensor. Press Release 17 May 1996.
- Bioartificial Pancreas News
- NBC Health News: Diabetes Breakthrough Script contains the script of an NBC News story about the Diabetes Research Institute islet cell transplant work.
- Biocontrol Updates Progress of Diasensor 1000 (TM) Sensor. Press Release 22 March 1996.
- On February 26, 1996, an FDA Advisory Panel reviewed the marketability of the Diasensor 1000 (TM) and chose to withhold judgement. You can now read the company's response to the FDA Panel's action.
- On 13 March 1996, the American media reported that the Diabetes Research Institute had developed a cure for Type 1 diabetes. Here's the facts:
- The GlucoWatch by Cygnus (10 March 1996)
[ Current Research News | News from 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Tuesday December 08, 2009 11:15:05
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.