Research News From 2009
30 December 2009
- Use of the Site of Subcutaneous Insulin Administration for the Measurement of Glucose in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- No evidence of porcine endogenous retrovirus in patients with type 1 diabetes after long-term porcine islet xenotransplantation.
- Trends of Earlier and Later Responses of C-peptide to Oral Glucose Challenges with Progression to Type 1 Diabetes in Diabetes Prevention Trial-Type 1 Participants Running Title: C-peptide with Progression to Type 1 Diabetes.
- Immunomodulation with heat shock protein DiaPep277 to preserve beta cell function in type 1 diabetes - an update.
- Prevalence of Type 1 Diabetes auto-antibodies (GADA, IA2, IAA) in overweight and obese children.
23 December 2009
- Researchers Re-Defining the Concept of a Cure for Diabetes.
- Six months of diazoxide treatment at bedtime in newly diagnosed subjects with type 1 diabetes does not influence parameters of beta-cell function and autoimmunity, but improves glycemic control.
- Ethnic Differences in Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes among Second-Generation Immigrants and Adoptees from Abroad.
- Progression to diabetes in relatives of type 1 diabetic patients: mechanisms and mode of onset.
- Gut barrier disruption by an enteric bacterial pathogen accelerates insulitis in NOD mice.
- Association between serum levels of the soluble receptor (sRAGE) for advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) and their receptor (RAGE) in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Can Roux-en-Y gastric bypass provide a lifelong solution for diabetes mellitus? Free full text available in PDF format.
16 December 2009
- Population density determines the direction of the association between ambient ultraviolet radiation and type 1 diabetes incidence.
- The Geoepidemiology of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Tea, Coffee Seem to Protect Against [Type 2] Diabetes.
- Age at the Introduction of Solid Foods During the First Year and Allergic Sensitization at Age 5 Years.
9 December 2009
- Researchers stop diabetes progression in a clinical trial discusses Rituximab, B-lymphocyte depletion, and preservation of beta-cell function, previously presented.
- Real-time detection of nocturnal hypoglycemic episodes using a novel non-invasive hypoglycemia monitor.
- Familial type 1 diabetes mellitus-gender distribution and age at onset of diabetes distinguish between parent-offspring and sib-pair subgroups.
- Bone mass and sex steroids in postmenarcheal adolescents and adult women with Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
2 December 2009
- Prevention of type 1 diabetes.
- Rituximab, B-lymphocyte depletion, and preservation of beta-cell function. See also Rituximab Protects Insulin Producing Cells in Diabetes.
- Autoantigen-specific regulatory T cells induced in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus by insulin B-chain immunotherapy.
25 November 2009
- Are Hemoglobin Levels Elevated in Type 1 Diabetes?
- Treatment of Type 1 Diabetic Patients with Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 (GLP-1) and GLP-1R Agonists.
- Improved Insulin Sensitivity After Exercise: Focus on Insulin Signaling.
- Progressive Decrease in N-Acetylaspartate/Creatine Ratio in a Teenager with Type 1 Diabetes and Repeated Episodes of Ketoacidosis without Clinically Apparent Cerebral Edema: Evidence for Permanent Brain Injury.
18 November 2009
- A Maternal But Not Paternal Association Of Ambulatory Blood Pressure With Albumin Excretion In Young Offspring With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Inflammation markers and metabolic characteristics of subjects with one-hour plasma glucose levels.
- Insulin Resistance in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes and Its Relationship to Cardiovascular Function.
- Changes in Cerebral Blood Flow Detected by SPECT in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetic Patients.
- The assessment of pulmonary diffusing capacity in diabetes mellitus with regard to microalbuminuria.
- Low levels of vitamin D in North Indian children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
- Epidemiological perspectives on type 1 diabetes in childhood and adolescence in Germany: 20 years of the DIARY registry.
- Early Infant Diet in Children at High Risk for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Childhood growth and age at diagnosis with Type 1 diabetes in Colorado young people.
- Increasing incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes in Montenegro from 1997 to 2006.
- Testing for monogenic diabetes among children and adolescents with antibody-negative clinically defined Type 1 diabetes.
11 November 2009
- Epidemiological perspectives on type 1 diabetes in childhood and adolescence in Germany: 20 years of the DIARY registry.
- Microvascular reactivity in type 1 diabetics.
- Regulation of oxidative stress by glycaemic control: evidence for an independent inhibitory effect of insulin therapy.
4 November 2009
- Autologous umbilical cord blood transfusion in very young children with type 1 diabetes.
- Maternal age at birth and childhood type 1 diabetes: a pooled analysis of 30 observational studies.
- The Effect of Direct Renin Inhibition on Renal Hemodynamic Function, Arterial Stiffness and Endothelial Function in Humans with Uncomplicated Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Pilot Study.
- A genome-wide association study identifies a novel major locus for glycemic control in type 1 diabetes, as measured by both HbA1c and glucose.
- The influence of physical activity on ghrelin and IGF-1/IGFBP-3 levels in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
28 October 2009
- Preventing hypoglycemia using predictive alarm algorithms and insulin pump suspension.
- Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery Using a Subcutaneous Glucose Sensor and Intra-Peritoneal Insulin Delivery: A Feasibility Study Testing a New Model for the Artificial Pancreas.
- Aortic Intima Media Thickness is an Early Marker of Atherosclerosis in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Nephropathy in Type 1 diabetes is associated with increased circulating activated platelets and platelet hyperreactivity.
- Daily vegetable intake during pregnancy negatively associated to islet autoimmunity in the offspring–The ABIS study.
- Associations of Serum Concentrations of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and Parathyroid Hormone with Surrogate Markers of Insulin Resistance among U.S. Adults without Physician-Diagnosed Diabetes: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2003-2006.
21 October 2009
- Hippocampal Volumes in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Subclinical vascular alterations in young adults with type 1 diabetes detected by arterial tonometry.
- Age at Onset Of Type 1 Diabetes in Parents and Recurrence Risk in Offspring.
- Factors for thyroid autoimmunity in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults.
- Pancreatic islet transplantation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Stem cell therapy for type 1 diabetes mellitus: a review of recent clinical trials. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Absence of diabetic retinopathy in a patient who has had diabetes mellitus for 69 years, and inadequate glycemic control: case report. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
14 October 2009
- The incidence of type 1 diabetes is increasing in both children and young adults in Northern Italy: 1984-2004 temporal trends.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme and angiotensin II receptor subtype 2 genotypes in type 1 diabetes and severe hypoglycaemia requiring emergency treatment: a case cohort study.
- Early Progression of the Autonomic Dysfunction Observed in Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Lipid abnormalities predict progression of renal disease in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Prevalence of diabetic retinopathy and cataract in adult patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes in Russia.
- Type 1 Diabetes Development Requires Both CD4+ and CD8+ T cells and Can Be Reversed by Non-Depleting Antibodies Targeting Both T Cell Populations.
7 October 2009
- Incidence of Childhood Type 1 Diabetes: A Worrying Trend.
- Ingestion of Diet Soda before a Glucose Load Augments GLP-1 Secretion.
- Effects of Exenatide Alone and in Combination with Daclizumab on Beta Cell Function in Long-Standing Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Efficacy and safety of AIR inhaled insulin compared to insulin lispro in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus in a 6-month, randomized, noninferiority trial.
- Two-year efficacy and safety of AIR inhaled insulin in patients with type 1 diabetes: An open-label randomized controlled trial.
- Telomere length predicts all-cause mortality in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- A Randomised Placebo Controlled Double Blind Clinical Trial of Cannabis Based Medicinal Product (Sativex) in Painful Diabetic Neuropathy: Depression is a Major Confounding Factor.
- Regression of diabetic complications by islet transplantation in the rat.
- The International Xenotransplantation Association consensus statement on conditions for undertaking clinical trials of porcine islet products in type 1 diabetes--chapter 3: Pig islet product manufacturing and release testing.
- Infection With Viruses From Several Families Triggers Autoimmune Diabetes In LEW.1WR1 Rats: Prevention of Diabetes by Maternal Immunization.
30 September 2009
- The July/August 2009 issue of Xenotransplantation focused on porcine islet transplantation as a cure for type 1 diabetes.
- A rare haplotype of the vitamin D receptor gene is protective against diabetic nephropathy.
- Increased circulating IL-8 is associated with reduced IGF-1 and related to poor metabolic control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Improving islet transplantation: a road map for a widespread application for the cure of persons with type I diabetes.
- Prevention of beta cell dysfunction and apoptosis by adenoviral gene transfer of rat insulin-like growth factor 1. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
23 September 2009
- Use of a cocktail regimen consisting of soluble galectin-1, rapamycin and histone deacetylase inhibitor may effectively prevent type 1 diabetes.
- The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial: the gift that keeps giving.
- Progression Factors of Carotid Intima-Media Thickness and Plaque in Patients with Long-Term, Early-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in Japan: Simultaneous Comparison with Diabetic Retinopathy. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Anti-infectious antibodies and autoimmune-associated autoantibodies in patients with type I diabetes mellitus and their close family members.
- Factors in serum from type 2 diabetes patients can cause cellular insulin resistance.
16 September 2009
- Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Using Subcutaneous Glucose Sensing and Insulin Delivery and a Model Predictive Control Algorithm: Preliminary Studies in Padova and Montpellier. (PDF)
- Overnight Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery with Model Predictive Control: Assessment of Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia Risk Using Simulation Studies. (PDF)
- A Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Using Model Predictive Control and a Sliding Meal Size Estimator. (PDF)
- Probabilistic Evolving Meal Detection and Estimation of Meal Total Glucose Appearance. (PDF)
- Analysis, Modeling, and Simulation of the Accuracy of Continuous Glucose Sensors.
- From Genetic Risk Awareness to Overt Type 1 Diabetes: Parental Stress in a Placebo-Controlled Prevention Trial.
- Predictive Characteristics of Diabetes-Associated Autoantibodies Among Children With HLA-Conferred Disease Susceptibility in the General Population.
- Pancreatic Islet Autoantibodies as Predictors of Type 1 Diabetes in the Diabetes Prevention Trial-Type 1 (DPT-1).
- Revisiting infant growth prior to childhood onset type 1 diabetes.
- Genetic polymorphisms in genes encoding antioxidant enzymes are associated with diabetic retinopathy in type 1 diabetes.
- Blindness in a 25-Year Follow-up of a Population-Based Cohort of Danish Type 1 Diabetic Patients.
9 September 2009
- Increasing incidence of pediatric type 1 diabetes mellitus in Southeastern Wisconsin: relationship with body weight at diagnosis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and susceptibility to type 1 diabetes in Crete, Greece.
- Pancreas transplantation alone in children: a case report.
- Lipid disorders in type 1 diabetes.
- Elevated Proportions of Recent Thymic Emigrants in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
2 September 2009
- Generation of pluripotent stem cells from patients with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Researchers Make Insulin-Producing Cells From Adult Skin Cells.
- Multinational study in children and adolescents with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes: association of age, ketoacidosis, HLA status, and autoantibodies on residual beta-cell function and glycemic control 12 months after diagnosis.
- Folic acid supplementation normalizes the endothelial progenitor cell transcriptome of patients with type 1 diabetes: a case-control pilot study.
- Reduced endogenous secretory receptor for advanced glycation end products (esRAGE) in young people with Type 1 diabetes developing microalbuminuria.
- Early predictors of myocardial disease in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Cognitive performance, symptoms and counter-regulation during hypoglycaemia in patients with type 1 diabetes and high or low renin-angiotensin system activity.
- One hundred one simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantations: long-term outcomes at a single center.
- Use of small donors (<28 kg) for pancreas transplantation.
- The Hygiene Hypothesis: Do We Still Believe in It?
- Melatonin prolongs islet graft survival in diabetic NOD mice.
26 August 2009
- Epigenetics: deciphering how environmental factors may modify autoimmune type 1 diabetes.
- Alleviation of exogenous insulin requirement in type 1 diabetes mellitus after immunoablation and transplantation of autologous hematopoietic stem cells.
- Noninvasive radial artery tonometry augmentation index and urinary albumin/creatinine levels in early adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Genetic-induced Variations in the GAD65 T-cell Repertoire Governs Efficacy of Anti-CD3/GAD65 Combination Therapy in New-onset Type 1 Diabetes.
- No Effect of the Altered-Peptide Ligand NBI-6024 on Beta Cell Residual Function and Insulin Needs in New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes.
- TroponinT and proBNP in fetuses of Type 1 diabetic mothers.
- Placental structure in type 1 diabetes: relation to fetal insulin, leptin and IGF-I.
- Caffeine consumption attenuates neurochemical modifications in the hippocampus of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.
- The Ectopic Expression of Pax4 in the Mouse Pancreas Converts Progenitor Cells into alpha and Subsequently beta Cells. See also Scientists Find That a Single Gene Can Convert Pancreatic Alpha Cells Into Betas in Lab Mice.
19 August 2009
- Vitamin D Levels in Subjects With and Without Type 1 Diabetes Residing in a Solar Rich Environment.
- Association of type 1 diabetes with month of birth among US youth: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.
- Retinal arterioles have impaired reactivity to hyperoxia in type 1 diabetes.
- Thymus-specific deletion of insulin induces autoimmune diabetes.
12 August 2009
- Altered prefrontal glutamate-glutamine-gamma-aminobutyric acid levels and relation to low cognitive performance and depressive symptoms in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Carotid intima-media thickness and cerebrovascular reactivity in long-term type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- C-peptide is internalised in human endothelial and vascular smooth muscle cells via early endosomes.
5 August 2009
- Insulin treatment in IA-2A-positive relatives of type 1 diabetic patients.
- Role of insulin autoantibody affinity as a predictive marker for type 1 diabetes in young children with HLA-conferred disease susceptibility.
- Is islet autoimmunity related to insulin sensitivity or body weight in children of parents with type 1 diabetes?
- Abnormal retinal autoregulation is detected by provoked stimulation with flicker light in well-controlled patients with type 1 diabetes without retinopathy.
- Anti-Mullerian hormone and inhibin B levels as markers of premature ovarian aging and transition to menopause in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Two studies, Vitamin D Status and Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in the United States Adolescent Population, Prevalence and Associations of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Deficiency in US Children: NHANES 2001–2004, offer advice on supplementing vitamin D.
29 July 2009
- Long-term metabolic control of autoimmune diabetes in spontaneously diabetic nonobese diabetic mice by nonvascularized microencapsulated adult porcine islets.
- HbA1c and serum levels of advanced glycation and oxidation protein products in poorly and well controlled children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Incidence of insulin-requiring diabetes in the US military.
- Temporal Trends In Incidence Of Type 1 Diabetes Between 1986 And 2006 In Brazil.
- Markers of bone destruction and formation and periodontitis in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
22 July 2009
- Identification of three wheat globulin genes by screening a Triticum aestivum BAC genomic library with cDNA from a diabetes-associated globulin. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Progress towards the clinical use of CD3 monoclonal antibodies in the treatment of autoimmunity.
- Hypoglycemic and beta cell protective andrographolide analogue for diabetes treatment.
- The glutamic acid decarboxylase 65 immunoglobulin G subclass profile differs between adult-onset type 1 diabetes and latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA) up to 3 years after clinical onset.
- Mild Fasting Hyperglycemia in a Child: Importance of New Genetic Tools. Also available in PDF format, which includes the referenced tables.
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor contributes to insulin resistance in obesity. See also Discovery of Link Between Obesity and Type 2 Opens Path to Possible New Treatment and When Weight Is the Issue, Doctors Struggle Too.
15 July 2009
- Effect of Ingested Interferon-alpha on beta-Cell Function in Children With New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes.
- Remission of type 1 diabetes following anti-CD3 antibody treatment and transplantation of embryonic pancreatic precursors.
- Preservation of Beta Cell Function in Autoantibody Positive Youth with Diabetes.
- Seasonal variation of diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes mellitus in children worldwide.
- Maternal Body Mass Index before pregnancy, maternal weight gain during pregnancy, and risk of persistent positivity for multiple diabetes associated autoantibodies in children with the high-risk HLA genotype: The MIDIA study.
- Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Functionalized PEG Hydrogels Promote Survival and Function of Encapsulated Pancreatic beta-Cells.
- Functional Brain Connectivity and Neurocognitive Functioning in Patients with Longstanding Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus with and without Microvascular Complications: a Magnetoencephalography Study.
- Telomere length and progression of diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Study Links Nitrosamines to Mortality in Diabetes, Other Diseases.
1 July 2009
- Seeding of pancreatic islets into pre-vascularized tissue-engineering chambers.
- Inflammation in Diabetic Encephalopathy is Prevented by C-Peptide.
24 June 2009
- Australia's national trends in the incidence of Type 1 diabetes in 0-14-year-olds, 2000-2006.
- Incident Dysglycemia and the Progression to Type 1 Diabetes among Participants in the Diabetes Prevention Trial-Type 1.
- The effect of glucose variability on the long-term risk of microvascular complications in type 1 diabetes.
- Safety and Viability of Microencapsulated Human Islets Transplanted Into Diabetic Humans.
- Familial association between type 1 diabetes and other autoimmune and related diseases.
- The -174GG interleukin-6 genotype is protective from retinopathy and nephropathy in juvenile onset type 1 diabetes mellitus.
17 June 2009
- The Onset of Diabetes in Three out of Four Sisters: A Japanese Family with Type 1 Diabetes. A Case Report. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Pioglitazone might prevent the progression of slowly progressive type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
10 June 2009
- Can childhood viral infection protect from type 1 diabetes?
- Protective effects of 1-alpha-hydroxyvitamin D3 on residual beta-cell function in patients with adult-onset latent autoimmune diabetes (LADA).
- Long-term glycemic control influences the long-lasting effect of hyperglycemia on endothelial function in type 1 diabetes.
- ADA: Fluorescent Intravascular Glucose Sensor Appears Accurate.
- Genes play role in glycemic control in type 1 diabetes.
3 June 2009
- Interplay between PTPN22 C1858T polymorphism and cow's milk formula exposure in type 1 diabetes.
- Incident Dysglycemia and the Progression to Type 1 Diabetes among Participants in the Diabetes Prevention Trial-Type 1.
- Incidence trends for childhood type 1 diabetes in Europe during 1989—2003 and predicted new cases 2005—20: a multicentre prospective registration study. See also Type 1 Diabetes Incidence Jumps 4% Annually in Europe's Youngest.
- Incidence and Time Trend of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes in Austrian Children 1999-2007.
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity in youth with diabetes in USA: the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.
- Circulating endothelial progenitor cells, endothelial function, carotid intima-media thickness and circulating markers of endothelial dysfunction in people with type 1 diabetes without macrovascular disease or microalbuminuria.
- Immunoregulatory mechanisms triggered by viral infections protect from type 1 diabetes in mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Changes in autoreactive T cell avidity during type 1 diabetes development.
- Lifetime prevalence of comorbid mood disorders in a representative sample of Canadians with type 1 diabetes.
- Accelerated Pharmacokinetics and Glucodynamics of Prandial Insulins Injected With Recombinant Human Hyaluronidase. See also Phase 1 Study For Halozyme's Insulin-PH20 Published, Highlights Findings For Faster Acting Insulin Formulations.
- Regeneration of the Pancreas in Adult Zebrafish.
- Predictors of Study Completion and Withdrawal in a Randomized Clinical Trial of a Pediatric Diabetes Adherence Intervention.
- Influence of Early Nutritional Components on the Development of Murine Autoimmune Diabetes.
27 May 2009
- Pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus in youth: the evolving chameleon. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Minimally invasive insulin delivery in subjects with type 1 diabetes using hollow microneedles.
- A Case-Sibling Assessment of the Association Between Skin Pigmentation and Other Vitamin D-related Factors and Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Adiposity and mortality in type 1 diabetes.
- Camel milk as an adjuvant therapy for the treatment of type 1 diabetes: verification of a traditional ethnomedical practice.
20 May 2009
- Treatment of patients with new onset Type 1 diabetes with a single course of anti-CD3 mAb teplizumab preserves insulin production for up to 5 years.
- How close are we to developing an alternative to human islet cell transplantation?
- In Silico Preclinical Trials: A Proof of Concept in Closed-Loop Control of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Pulsatile intravenous insulin therapy: The best practice to reverse diabetes complications?
- Pulse pressure and cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy according to duration of type 1 diabetes.
13 May 2009
- Improved glycemic control with intraperitoneal versus subcutaneous insulin in type 1 diabetes. A randomized controlled trial.
- Pig-to-nonhuman primate islet xenotransplantation.
6 May 2009
- GAD65 vaccination: 5 years of follow-up in a randomised dose-escalating study in adult-onset autoimmune diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- New prospects for immunotherapy at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.
- Elevated Triglycerides Correlate with Progression of Diabetic Neuropathy.
- Serum uric acid as a predictor for development of diabetic nephropathy in type 1 diabetes - an inception cohort study.
- Epidemiology and clinical characteristics of thyroid dysfunction in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage might be associated with vitamin D receptor polymorphisms in type 1 diabetes.
29 April 2009
- Diabetic Subjects Diagnosed Through the Diabetes Prevention Trial–Type 1 (DPT-1) Are Often Asymptomatic With Normal A1C at Diabetes Onset.
- The Presence And Severity Of Chronic Kidney Disease Predicts All-Cause Mortality In Type 1 Diabetes.
- Infection and type 1 diabetes mellitus - a two edged sword?
- Treatment of diabetes by transplantation of drug-inducible insulin-producing gut cells.
- Engineering functional islets from cultured cells.
- Pig embryonic pancreatic tissue as a source for transplantation in diabetes: transient treatment with anti-LFA1, anti-CD48 and FTY720 enables long term graft maintenance in mice with only mild ongoing immunosuppression.
22 April 2009
- Etanercept Treatment in Children with New Onset Type 1 Diabetes: Pilot Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double Blind Study.
- Lower bone mineral density in children with type 1 diabetes is associated with poor glycemic control and higher serum ICAM-1 and urinary isoprostane levels.
- Incidence of type 1 diabetes mellitus and associated complications among children and young adults: results from Karnataka Diabetes Registry 1995-2008.
- Male predominance of congenital malformations in infants of women with type 1 diabetes.
- Evaluation of the chronic complications of diabetes in a high fructose diet in rats.
15 April 2009
- C-Peptide Levels and Insulin Independence Following Autologous Nonmyeloablative Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. See also Stem Cells Appear Effective for Type 1 Diabetes, Study: Stem Cells May Reverse Type 1 Diabetes and Transplants help Type 1 diabetics skip insulin, as well as related report Pancreatic Islet Demand for Diabetes Research Outruns Supply.
- Birth Weight, Early Weight Gain, and Subsequent Risk of Type 1 Diabetes: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
8 April 2009
- Pancreatic function assessment in type 1 diabetes mellitus patients according to disease duration. Free Portuguese language full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The type 1 diabetes protective HLA DQB1*0602 allele is less frequent in gestational diabetes mellitus.
- Potential of small molecule protein tyrosine kinase inhibitors as immuno-modulators and inhibitors of the development of Type 1 diabetes.
- Prevalence of polyglandular autoimmune syndrome in patients with diabetes mellitus type 1.
1 April 2009
- Anti-CD3 mAbs for treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- Advances in Type 1 diabetes therapeutics: immunomodulation and beta-cell salvage.
- Antibiotic Use and Type 1 Diabetes in Childhood.
- Can pancreatic duct-derived progenitors be a source of islet regeneration?
- Improved T cell assay for identification of Type 1 diabetes patients.
- CD4+ CD25+ T cells control autoimmunity in the absence of B cells.
- Microchimerism in type 1 diabetes.
25 March 2009
- Early nephropathy in type 1 diabetes: the importance of early renal function decline.
- Geographical variability of the incidence of Type 1 diabetes in subjects younger than 30 years in Catalonia, Spain.
- Double Diabetes: A Mixture of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes in Youth.
- Latent autoimmune diabetes of adulthood (LADA): an often misdiagnosed type of diabetes mellitus.
- Treatment of insulin dependent diabetes mellitus with intravascular transplantation of pancreatic islet cells without immunosuppressive therapy.
18 March 2009
- Diabetic retinal neurodegeneration is associated with mitochondrial oxidative stress and is improved by angiotensin receptor blocker in a model that combines hypertension and diabetes.
- Blood glucose levels regulate pancreatic beta-cell proliferation during experimentally-induced and spontaneous autoimmune diabetes in mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (link to PDF on full text page).
- Prevalence of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms FokI and BsmI in Brazilian Type 1 diabetes and their relation to beta cell autoimmunity and to remaining beta cell function.
- Neurogenin3 Is Sufficient for Transdetermination of Hepatic Progenitor Cells into Neo-Islets In Vivo but Not Transdifferentiation of Hepatocytes. See also Stem cells crucial to diabetes cure in mice and Diabetes cure a step closer after liver used to regulate blood sugar.
11 March 2009
- The prevalence of enteroviral capsid protein vp1 immunostaining in pancreatic islets in human type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Virus 'triggers child diabetes', Common Virus Linked to Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Vaccine 'could stop diabetes'.
- Can We Learn From Viruses How to Prevent Type 1 Diabetes?
- Early infant feeding and type 1 diabetes.
- Immune modulation in type 1 diabetes mellitus using DiaPep277: a short review and update of recent clinical trial results.
- Therapy with GAD in diabetes.
- Screening for Associated Autoimmunity in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus (T1DM).
- Recurrent Antecedent Hypoglycemia Alters Neuronal Oxidative Metabolism in Vivo.
4 March 2009
- Cellular and physiological effects of C-peptide.
- The geospatial relation between UV solar radiation and type 1 diabetes in Newfoundland.
- Rapamycin induces autophagy in islets: relevance in islet transplantation.
25 February 2009
- Pregnancy-induced rise in serum C-peptide concentrations in women with type 1 diabetes.
- C-peptide protects against microvascular complications in Type 1 diabetes refers to Fasting plasma C-peptide and micro- and macrovascular complications in a large clinic-based cohort of type 1 diabetic people, already reported.
- Cerebrovascular reactivity, IMT and nephropathy presence in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- A national database on children and adolescent with diabetes (e-DiCARE): results from April 2006 to June 2007 [in Malaysia].
- Cryopreserved agarose-encapsulated islets as bioartificial pancreas: a feasibility study.
- Predictors of Overweight during Childhood in Offspring of Parents with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Culture-independent identification of gut bacteria correlated with the onset of diabetes in a rat model.
18 February 2009
- Medium Chain Fatty Acids Improve Cognitive Function in Intensively Treated Type 1 Diabetic Patients and Support in vitro Synaptic Transmission During Acute Hypoglycemia.
- Avosentan Reduces Albumin Excretion in Diabetics with Macroalbuminuria. See also Experimental Endothelin Antagonist Reduces Diabetic Kidney Disease.
- Specificity of islet cell autoantibodies and coexistence with other organ specific autoantibodies in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Erythropoietin during hypoglycaemia in type 1 diabetes: Relation to basal renin-angiotensin system activity and cognitive function.
- Exendin-4 treatment of nonobese diabetic mice increases beta-cell proliferation and fractional insulin reactive area.
- Immune markers of disease and therapeutic intervention in type 1 diabetes.
- Towards a curative therapy in type 1 diabetes: remission of autoimmunity, maintenance and augmentation of beta cell mass.
- Analytical Methods for the Retrieval and Interpretation of Continuous Glucose Monitoring Data in Diabetes.
- Graphical and Numerical Evaluation of Continuous Glucose Sensing Time Lag.
11 February 2009
- A Feedforward-Feedback Glucose Control Strategy for Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The role of toll-like receptor pathways in the mechanism of type 1 diabetes.
- Perinatal risk factors in young adult-onset type 1 and type 2 diabetes - a population-based case-control study.
- Protection of synapses against Alzheimer's-linked toxins: Insulin signaling prevents the pathogenic binding of A-beta oligomers. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Insulin is a Possible New Treatment for Alzheimer's, Insulin May Protect Mind, Memory; Diabetes Drugs Protect Against Alzheimer's-Related Memory Damage, and A Surprising Link Between Diabetes and Alzheimer's.
28 January 2009
- Insulin analogues display IGF-I-like mitogenic and anti-apoptotic activities in cultured cancer cells. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Commentary - Insulin analogues: fears, facts and fantasies, also available in PDF format.
- Human cord blood stem cell-modulated regulatory T lymphocytes reverse the autoimmune-caused type 1 diabetes in nonobese diabetic (NOD) mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Wisconsin Epidemiologic Study of Diabetic Retinopathy XXIII: The Twenty-five-Year Incidence of Macular Edema in Persons with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Long-term hyperglycaemia impairs vascular smooth muscle cell function in women with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Plasma advanced glycation endproduct, methylglyoxal-derived hydroimidazolone is elevated in young, complication-free patients with Type 1 diabetes.
- Detection of nocturnal hypoglycemic episodes (natural occurrence) in children with Type 1 diabetes using an optimal Bayesian neural network algorithm.
21 January 2009
- GAD-Alum Treatment Seems Effective in Slowing Residual Beta-Cell Function Loss. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Central nervous system function in youth with type 1 diabetes 12 years after disease onset.
- Selective Loss of Inner Retinal Layer Thickness in Type 1 Diabetic Patients with Minimal Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Rapamycin Prevents and Breaks the Anti-CD3–Induced Tolerance in NOD Mice.
- The protective effect of simvastatin against low dose streptozotocin induced type 1 diabetes in mice is independent of inhibition of HMG-CoA reductase.
- Bone inflammation and altered gene expression with type I diabetes early onset.
- Efficient differentiation of insulin-producing cells from skin-derived stem cells.
- Encapsulated porcine islet transplantation: an evolving therapy for the treatment of type I diabetes.
14 January 2009
- Correction of diabetes in primates by macroencapsulated pig islets.
- Prolonged survival of pig islets xenograft by adenovirus-mediated expression of either the membrane-bound human FasL or the human decoy Fas antigen gene.
- Intraperitoneal insulin infusion versus islet transplantation: comparative study in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Genome-wide scan for linkage to type 1 diabetes in 2,496 multiplex families from the Type 1 Diabetes Genetics Consortium.
- Intranasal Insulin Ameliorates Experimental Diabetic Neuropathy.
- The incremental value of the pancreas allograft to the survival of Simultaneous Pancreas-Kidney transplant recipients.
- Exercise Training During Diabetes Attenuates Cardiac Ryanodine Receptor Dysregulation.
- Analysis of islet inflammation in human type 1 diabetes.
- Childhood BMI trajectories and the risk of developing young adult-onset diabetes.
7 January 2009
- Can We Learn From Viruses How to Prevent Type 1 Diabetes?
- The Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in the Young (TEDDY) Study.
- Diabetogenic effects of the most prevalent enteroviruses in Finnish sewage.
- Variations in incidence of type 1 diabetes in different municipalities of stockholm.
- Risk conferred by HLA-DR and DQ for type 1 diabetes in 0-35-year age group in Sweden.
- Exendin-4 therapy in NOD mice with new-onset diabetes increases regulatory T cell frequency.
- Leaking gut in type 1 diabetes.
- Persistence of residual beta cells and islet autoimmunity during increasing duration of diabetes in NOD mice and experimental approaches toward reversing new-onset disease with bioactive peptides.
- Antigen specific treatment for the inhibition and remission of type 1 diabetes.
- Review series on helminths, immune modulation and the hygiene hypothesis: how might infection modulate the onset of type 1 diabetes?
- Is population mixing associated with childhood type 1 diabetes in Canterbury, New Zealand?
- Role of increased ROS dissipation in prevention of T1D.
- Effect of Parental Type 2 Diabetes on Offspring With Type 1 Diabetes.
[ Current Research News | News from 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Thursday January 01, 2015 15:29:01
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.