Research News From 2011
28 December 2011
- How does age at onset influence the outcome of autoimmune diseases? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Results of pancreas transplantation alone with special attention to native kidney function and proteinuria in type 1 diabetes patients.
- Near Normalization of Metabolic and Functional Features of the Central Nervous System in Type 1 Diabetic Patients With End-Stage Renal Disease After Kidney-Pancreas Transplantation.
21 December 2011
- Long-Lasting Immune Responses 4 Years after GAD-Alum Treatment in Children with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Striated muscle as implantation site for transplanted pancreatic islets. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Glucagon in the Pathogenesis of Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia in Diabetes.
- The D-Lightful Vitamin D for Child Health.
14 December 2011
- Increase in the incidence of type 1 diabetes in Israeli children following the Second Lebanon War.
- Update from the Faustman Lab: Moving Forwrd to Phase 2.
7 December 2011
- FDA outlines flexible approaches for artificial pancreas system clinical trials, product approvals See also JDRF Encouraged By Draft FDA Artificial Pancreas Guidance and FDA Issues Artificial Pancreas Guidance Document.
- Intravital imaging of CTLs killing islet cells in diabetic mice. See also a Jolla Institute researchers provide world's first view of Type 1 diabetes as it unfolds.
- Type 1 diabetes in Cheshire: Cardiometabolic risk factor trends (2004-2009).
- End-stage nephropathy in Type 1-diabetes mellitus - Kidney transplantation alone or combined with Islet or pancreas transplantation?
- Improved Postprandial Glycemic Control in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes from Subcutaneous Injection of Insulin Lispro with Hyaluronidase.
- Reversal of diabetes by the creation of neo-islet tissues into a subcutaneous site using islet cell sheets.
30 November 2011
- Maternal Serum Levels of 25-Hydroxy-Vitamin D During Pregnancy and Risk of Type 1 Diabetes in the Offspring.
- Impaired diffusing capacity for carbon monoxide in children with type 1 diabetes: is this the first sign of long-term complications?
- Proinsulin, GLP-1, and glucagon are associated with partial remission in children and adolescents with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
- Case report: type 1 diabetes in monozygotic quadruplets.
23 November 2011
- An important minority of prediabetic first-degree relatives of type 1 diabetic patients derives from seroconversion to persistent autoantibody positivity after 10 years of age.
16 November 2011
- Markedly reduced rate of diabetic ketoacidosis at onset of type 1 diabetes in relatives screened for islet autoantibodies.
- Closed-loop insulin delivery for treatment of type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Persistent glucose transporter expression on pancreatic beta cells from longstanding type 1 diabetic individuals.
- Age-corrected Beta cell mass following onset of type 1 diabetes mellitus correlates with plasma C-Peptide in humans. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Diabetes technology and treatments in the paediatric age group.
- Self-reported lower respiratory tract infections and development of islet autoimmunity in children with the type 1 diabetes high-risk HLA genotype: the MIDIA study.
- Metabolic function of a suboptimal transplanted islet mass in non-human primates on rapamycin monotherapy.
- Enteroviruses and type 1 diabetes.
- Vaccination and risk of type 1 diabetes mellitus in active component U.S. Military, 2002-2008.
- Signatures of Environmental Genetic Adaptation Pinpoint Pathogens as the Main Selective Pressure through Human Evolution. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
9 November 2011
- Gut microbiome metagenomics analysis suggests a functional model for the development of autoimmunity for type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (link in HTML full text).
- Current status of immunomodulatory and cellular therapies in preclinical and clinical islet transplantation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Otelixizumab in the treatment of Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Association of Epilepsy and Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in Children and Adolescents: Is There an Increased Risk for Diabetic Ketoacidosis?
- High levels of immunoglobulin E and a continuous increase in immunoglobulin G and immunoglobulin M by age in children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
- Identification of Small Molecule Inhibitors that Suppress Cytokine-Induced Apoptosis in Human Pancreatic Islet Cells. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
2 November 2011
- Age- and islet autoimmunity-associated differences in amino Acid and lipid metabolites in children at risk for type 1 diabetes.
- Helicobacter pylori infection might be responsible for the interconnection between type 1 diabetes and autoimmune thyroiditis.
- Metabolic Control and Bone Health in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
19 October 2011
- Real-Time Adaptive Models for the Personalized Prediction of Glycemic Profile in Type 1 Diabetes Patients.
12 October 2011
- U-100, pH-Neutral Formulation of VIAject(®) : Faster Onset of Action than Insulin Lispro in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Exposure to the Viral By-Product dsRNA or Coxsackievirus B5 Triggers Pancreatic Beta Cell Apoptosis via a Bim / Mcl-1 Imbalance. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Circulating Endothelial Progenitor Cells and Large Artery Structure And Function In Young Subjects With Uncomplicated Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Sensitization to Gliadin Induces Moderate Enteropathy and Insulitis in Nonobese Diabetic-DQ8 Mice.
- Neonatal jaundice is associated with a small increase in the risk of childhood type 1 diabetes: a meta-analysis of observational studies.
5 October 2011
- Automatic Learning Algorithm for the MD-Logic Artificial Pancreas System.
- Reduced Prevalence of Diabetes Ketoacidosis at Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes in Young Children Participating in Longitudinal Follow-Up.
- Reclassification of diabetes type in pediatric patients initially classified as type 2 diabetes mellitus: 15 years follow-up using routine data from the German/Austrian DPV database.
28 September 2011
- Prospectively Determined Impact of Type 1 Diabetes on Brain Volume During Development.
- Human enterovirus infections in children at increased risk for type 1 diabetes: the Babydiet study.
- Seasonal variation of vitamin D and HbA(1c) levels in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus in the Middle East. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Vitamin D Insufficiency in Diabetic Retinopathy. Free full text available in PDF format.
21 September 2011
- Long-Term Metabolic and Immunological Follow-Up of Nonimmunosuppressed Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Treated With Microencapsulated Islet Allografts.
- Interaction of enterovirus infection and Cow's milk-based formula nutrition in type 1 diabetes-associated autoimmunity.
- EASD: Closed-loop System on Par With Open-loop for Glucose Control.
- C-peptide in the classification of diabetes in children and adolescents.
- Recurrence of autoimmunity in pancreas transplant patients: research update.
- Acute Hypoglycemia Decreases Myocardial Blood Flow Reserve in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and in Healthy Humans.
- Healthy first degree relatives of patients with type 1 diabetes exhibit significant differences in basal gene expression pattern of immunocompetent cells compared to controls: expression pattern as predeterminant of autoimmune diabetes.
- Pancreatitis, Pancreatic, and Thyroid Cancer With Glucagon-Like Peptide-1–Based Therapies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Two diabetes drugs possibly linked to pancreatitis, cancer, UPDATE: Research linking two diabetes drugs to cancer spawns debate, and Who Defends Those Lilly & Novo Nordisk Diabetes Meds?
15 September 2011
- C-Peptide Response and HLA Genotypes in Subjects With Recent-Onset Type 1 Diabetes After Immunotherapy With DiaPep277.
- Effect of rituximab on human in vivo antibody immune responses.
- Advanced Glycation End Products Are Direct Modulators of beta-Cell Function.
- A Longitudinal Study of GAD65 and ICA512 Autoantibodies During the Progression to Type 1 Diabetes in Diabetes Prevention Trial–Type 1 (DPT-1) Participants.
7 September 2011
- Closed-loop in children with type 1 diabetes: Specific challenges.
- A Stepwise Approach toward Closed-Loop Blood Glucose Control for Intensive Care Unit Patients: Results from a Feasibility Study in Type 1 Diabetic Subjects Using Vascular Micro dialysis with Infrared Spectrometry and a Model Predictive Control Algorithm.
- Family history of diabetes and distribution of class II HLA genotypes in children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes: effect on diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Early Neural and Vascular Changes in the Adolescent Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetic Retina.
31 August 2011
- Donor Islet Endothelial Cells in Pancreatic Islet Revascularization.
- Genetic Analysis of Adult-Onset Autoimmune Diabetes.
- In August 2011, the Institute of Medicine issued a report on Adverse Effects of Vaccines: Evidence and Causality and concluded that evidence favors rejection of a causal relationship between the MMR and DTaP vaccines and type 1 diabetes.
- Immunological Applications of Stem Cells in Type 1 Diabetes.
- The possible role of esRAGE and sRAGE in the natural history of diabetic nephropathy in childhood.
24 August 2011
- No association of vitamin D intake or 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in childhood with risk of islet autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes: the Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young (DAISY).
- The epidemic of type 1 diabetes: what is it telling us?
- 2011 Update: antigen-specific therapy in type 1 diabetes.
- A prevascularized tissue engineering chamber supports growth and function of islets and progenitor cells in diabetic mice.
- Pervasive Sharing of Genetic Effects in Autoimmune Disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (PDF link on HTML full text page).
- High levels of oxidized LDL in circulating immune complexes are associated with increased odds of developing abnormal albuminuria in Type 1 diabetes.
- Lung functions in poorly controlled type 1 Saudi diabetic children and adolescents.
- UF expert: In the quest to cure Type 1 diabetes, scientists must develop better research standards.
17 August 2011
- Reduced Serum Vitamin D-Binding Protein Levels Are Associated With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Rituximab Selectively Suppresses Specific Islet Antibodies.
- Differentiation of PDX1 gene-modified human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells into insulin-producing cells in vitro.
- Surface camouflage of pancreatic islets using 6-arm-PEG-catechol in combined therapy with tacrolimus and anti-CD154 monoclonal antibody for xenotransplantation.
- Incidence rate trends in childhood Type 1 diabetes in Yorkshire, UK 1978-2007: effects of deprivation and age at diagnosis in the south Asian and non-south Asian populations.
10 August 2011
- Prediction model for the incidence and prevalence of type 1 diabetes in childhood and adolescence: evidence for a cohort-dependent increase within the next two decades in Germany.
- Pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes: implications for incidence trends.
- Epidemiology of childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus: lessons from central and eastern European data.
- Phase I (Safety) Study of Autologous Tolerogenic Dendritic Cells in Type 1 Diabetic Patients.
3 August 2011
- Pig-to-Nonhuman Primates Pancreatic Islet Xenotransplantation: An Overview.
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus and major depressive disorder: evidence for a biological link.
- Therapeutic Impact of Leptin on Diabetes, Diabetic Complications, and Longevity in Insulin-Deficient Diabetic Mice.
27 July 2011
- Being born in Sweden increases the risk for type 1 diabetes - a study of migration of children to Sweden as a natural experiment.
- Current state of type 1 diabetes immunotherapy: incremental advances, huge leaps, or more of the same?
- Increased Numbers of Low-Oxygenated Pancreatic Islets After Intraportal Islet Transplantation.
20 July 2011
- Prevention of murine autoimmune diabetes by CCL22-mediated Treg recruitment to the pancreatic islets. See also Researchers identify process that prevents type 1 diabetes from progressing.
- Development of Autoantibodies in the TrialNet Natural History Study.
- Generation of pancreatic insulin-producing cells from rhesus monkey induced pluripotent stem cells.
- Association of Urinary Type IV Collagen With GFR Decline in Young Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Protection against Autoimmune Diabetes by Silkworm-Produced GFP-Tagged CTB-Insulin Fusion Protein.
13 July 2011
- Fisetin lowers methylglyoxal dependent protein glycation and limits the complications of diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (PDF link within full text article).
- Co-stimulation modulation with abatacept in patients with recent-onset type 1 diabetes: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
- Teplizumab for treatment of type 1 diabetes (Protégé study): 1-year results from a randomised, placebo-controlled trial.
- Predictors of associated autoimmune diseases in families with type 1 diabetes: results from the Type 1 Diabetes Genetics Consortium.
- How viral infections enhance or prevent type 1 diabetes-from mouse to man.
- C-reactive protein promotes diabetic kidney disease in a mouse model of type 1 diabetes.
- Use of a novel fluorescent glucose sensor in volunteer subjects with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Reduction of Postprandial Glycemic Excursions in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: A Novel Human Insulin Formulation versus a Rapid-Acting Insulin Analog and Regular Human Insulin.
29 June 2011
- Antigen-based therapy with glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) vaccine in patients with recent-onset type 1 diabetes: a randomised double-blind trial. See also ADA: Type 1 Diabetes Vaccine Fails to Show Benefit.
- Improvements in the Life Expectancy of Type 1 Diabetes: The Pittsburgh Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications Study. See also Life Expectancy Improves for Type 1 Diabetics.
- Co-stimulation modulation with abatacept in patients with recent-onset type 1 diabetes: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. See also ADA: Biologic Slows Type 1 Diabetes.
- Uncoupling of Proliferation and Cytokines From Suppression Within the CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ T–Cell Compartment in the 1st Year of Human Type 1 Diabetes.
- ADA: FDA Artificial Pancreas Initiative InFocus.
21 June 2011
- Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes in Sweden Among Individuals Aged 0–34 Years, 1983–2007: An analysis of time trends.
- The gut as a regulator of early inflammation in type 1 diabetes.
- Non-invasive retinal testing may predict retinopathy explains on Retinal Vascular Geometry Predicts Incident Retinopathy in Young People With Type 1 Diabetes, previously reported.
- Proliferative retinopathy predicts nephropathy: a 25-year follow-up study of type 1 diabetic patients.
- Phase I (Safety) Study of Autologous Tolerogenic Dendritic Cells in Type 1 Diabetic Patients.
15 June 2011
- Early feeding and risk of type 1 diabetes: experiences from the Trial to Reduce Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in the Genetically at Risk (TRIGR). See also New Study Shows Infant Formula Linked to Childhood Diabetes.
- Thymic Self-Antigen Expression for the Design of a Negative/Tolerogenic Self-Vaccine against Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Antigen-based immune therapeutics for type 1 diabetes: magic bullets or ordinary blanks? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Type I diabetes-associated tolerogenic properties of interleukin-2. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Recurrence of Autoimmunity Following Pancreas Transplantation.
- Progressive Erosion of beta-Cell Function Precedes the Onset of Hyperglycemia in the NOD Mouse Model of Type 1 Diabetes.
- JDRF to Support Selecta's Development of Tolerogenic Type 1 Diabetes Vaccine.
8 June 2011
- The Feasibility of Detecting Neuropsychologic and Neuroanatomic Effects of Type 1 Diabetes in Young Children.
- What causes type 1 diabetes? Lessons from animal models.
- Etiological Approach to Characterization of Diabetes Type: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.
- Skin Intrinsic Fluorescence Is Associated With Hemoglobin A1c and Hemoglobin Glycation Index but Not Mean Blood Glucose in Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Defective Differentiation of Regulatory FoxP3+ T Cells by Small-Intestinal Dendritic Cells in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
1 June 2011
- Serum adiponectin concentration is a positive predictor of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in type 1 diabetes.
- Soluble receptor for AGE (RAGE) is a novel independent predictor of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in type 1 diabetes.
25 May 2011
- Long-Term Outcome of Individuals Treated With Oral Insulin: Diabetes Prevention Trial–Type 1 (DPT-1) oral insulin trial.
- First-degree relatives of persons with type 1 diabetes: insulin resistance and enterovirus infection are associated with different patterns of islet cell autoimmunity.
- Prevalence and characteristics of diabetes among Somali children and adolescents living in Helsinki, Finland.
- Association between vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and type 1 diabetes mellitus in Iranian population.
- Gut peptide hormones and paediatric type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Retinal Vascular Geometry Predicts Incident Retinopathy in Young People With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetes Linked to Premature Death From Vascular Disease, Other Causes.
- Amelioration of type I diabetes-induced osteoporosis by parathyroid hormone is associated with improved osteoblast survival.
18 May 2011
- The Feasibility of Detecting Neuropsychologic and Neuroanatomic Effects of Type 1 Diabetes in Young Children.
- Age of Islet Autoantibody Appearance and Mean Levels of Insulin, But Not GAD or IA-2 Autoantibodies, Predict Age of Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes: Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young.
- Blue eyes and fair skin as risk factors for type 1 diabetes.
- Increased Accumulation of Skin Advanced Glycation End Products Is Associated with Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Predictors of microvascular complications in type 1 diabetic patients at onset: The role of metabolic memory.
- The Future of Basal Insulin Supplementation.
- Evaluating Rate of Change as an Index of Glycemic Variability, Using Continuous Glucose Monitoring Data.
11 May 2011
- Postprandial and Fasting Hepatic Glucose Fluxes in Longstanding Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of type 1 diabetes and body weight status on cardiovascular risk factors in adolescent children.
4 May 2011
- Association between environmental factors and risk of type 1 diabetes - a case-control study.
- What is the role of human contamination by environmental chemicals in the development of type 1 diabetes?
- Persistently autoantibody negative (PAN) type 1 diabetes mellitus in children.
- Preliminary studies related to anti-interleukin-1beta therapy in children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
- Autoantigen based vaccines for type 1 diabetes.
- Use of a precious resource: Parental decision making about using autologous umbilical cord blood in studies involving young children with type 1 diabetes.
- A closed-loop artificial pancreas based on risk management.
- CD40-Specific Costimulation Blockade Enhances Neonatal Porcine Islet Survival in Nonhuman Primates.
- Pancreatic beta Cell Identity Is Maintained by DNA Methylation-Mediated Repression of Arx. See also New study shows it may be possible to turn pancreatic cells into insulin producers in people with type 1 diabetes.
- High fat diet protects BB/OK rats from developing type 1 diabetes.
27 April 2011
- Sex-related differences in the long-term risk of microvascular complications by age at onset of type 1 diabetes.
- Pirfenidone for Diabetic Nephropathy. See also Antifibrotic May Slow Diabetic Nephropathy.
- Reversal of Diabetic Nephropathy by a Ketogenic Diet. See also Diet 'can reverse kidney failure' in mice with diabetes and Diet may 'reverse kidney failure' in diabetics.
- Primary Dietary Intervention Study to Reduce the Risk of Islet Autoimmunity in Children at Increased Risk for Type 1 Diabetes - The BABYDIET study.
- Correlation between insulin requirements and anti-galactose antibodies in patients with type 1 diabetes transplanted with neonatal pig islets.
- Differential Effect of Low-Dose Aspirin for Primary Prevention of Atherosclerotic Events in Diabetic Management.
- Future Acceptance of an Artificial Pancreas in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of Intranasal Insulin on Insulin Antibody Affinity and Isotypes in Young Children With HLA-Conferred Susceptibility to Type 1 Diabetes.
20 April 2011
- Overnight closed loop insulin delivery (artificial pancreas) in adults with type 1 diabetes: crossover randomised controlled studies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Artificial Pancreas More Effective at Night.
- Free fatty acids level may effect a residual insulin secretion in type 1 diabetes.
- Peptide-MHC-based nanovaccines for the treatment of autoimmunity: a "one size fits all" approach?
- Oral Anti-CD3 Monoclonal Antibody Delays Diabetes in Non-obese Diabetic (NOD) Mice: Effects on Pregnancy and Offspring - A Preliminary Report.
- Anti-CD3 mAb treatment cures PDL1-/-.NOD mice of diabetes but precipitates fatal myocarditis.
13 April 2011
- A Recent Survey Confirms the Efficacy and the Safety of Implanted Insulin Pumps During Long-Term Use in Poorly Controlled Type 1 Diabetes Patients.
- Insulin action in adipose tissue in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Decreased cortical connectivity and information flow in type 1 diabetes.
6 April 2011
- Leptin Therapy Reverses Hyperglycemia in Mice With Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetes, Independent of Hepatic Leptin Signaling.
- Protection From Retinopathy and Other Complications in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes of Extreme Duration - The Joslin 50-Year Medalist Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Altered inflammatory, oxidative, and metabolic responses to exercise in pediatric obesity and type 1 diabetes.
- Eye Complications and Markers of Morbidity and Mortality in Long-term Type 1 Diabetes.
30 March 2011
- Microvascular complications assessment in adolescents with 2- to 5-yr duration of type 1 diabetes from 1990 to 2006.
- Early introduction of root vegetables in infancy associated with advanced beta-cell autoimmunity in young children with human leukocyte antigen-conferred susceptibility to Type 1 diabetes.
- Erythrocyte membrane omega-3 fatty acid levels and omega-3 fatty acid intake are not associated with conversion to type 1 diabetes in children with islet autoimmunity: The Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young (DAISY).
- Preimplantation factor (PIF) analog prevents type I diabetes mellitus (TIDM) development by preserving pancreatic function in NOD mice.
- Inherited Variation in Vitamin D Genes Is Associated With Predisposition to Autoimmune Disease Type 1 Diabetes.
- Onset features and subsequent clinical evolution of childhood diabetes over several years.
- Assessment of skin autofluorescence as a marker of advanced glycation end product accumulation in type 1 diabetes. Free full text in PDF available via link at the Polish Archives of Internal Medicine web site.
- Increased Fat Mass and Cardiac Septal Hypertrophy in Newborn Infants of Mothers with Well-Controlled Diabetes during Pregnancy.
23 March 2011
- HLA Genes, Islet Autoantibodies and Residual C-Peptide at the Clinical Onset of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and the Risk of Retinopathy 15 Years Later. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Residual Beta Cell Function in Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes after Treatment with Atorvastatin: The Randomized DIATOR Trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
16 March 2011
- Trends in Type 1 diabetes incidence in the UK in 0- to 14-year-olds and in 15- to 34-year-olds, 1991-2008.
- Islet autoantibodies can discriminate maturity-onset diabetes of the young (MODY) from Type 1 diabetes.
- Combination therapy with a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor and a proton pump inhibitor induces beta-cell neogenesis from adult human pancreatic duct cells implanted in immunodeficient mice.
9 March 2011
- Automated Overnight Closed-Loop Glucose Control in Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Effect of Insulin Feedback on Closed Loop Glucose Control.
- Accelerated progression from islet autoimmunity to diabetes is causing the escalating incidence of type 1 diabetes in young children.
- Insulin autoantibodies with high affinity to the bovine milk protein alpha casein.
- The Incidence of Type-1 Diabetes in NOD Mice Is Modulated by Restricted Flora Not Germ-Free Conditions. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Increased prevalence of proliferative retinopathy in patients with type 1 diabetes who are deficient in glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase.
2 March 2011
- Endothelial Dysfunction Is Related to Poor Glycemic Control in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes under 5 Years of Disease: Evidence of Metabolic Memory.
- Maternal food consumption during pregnancy and risk of advanced beta-cell autoimmunity in the offspring.
- Low vitamin d levels correlate with the proinflammatory state in type 1 diabetic subjects with and without microvascular complications.
23 February 2011
- Alginate Macroencapsulation of Pig Islets Allows Correction of Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetes in Primates up to 6 Months Without Immunosuppression.
- Long-lasting remission of type 1 diabetes following treatment with topiramate for generalized seizures.
- A health economic analysis of clinical islet transplantation.
- Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Receptor Agonist Treatment Prevents Glucocorticoid-Induced Glucose Intolerance and Islet-Cell Dysfunction in Humans.
- Pulse Pressure Predicts Incident Cardiovascular Disease but Not Diabetic Nephropathy in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes (The FinnDiane Study).
- Skin Intrinsic Fluorescence Correlates With Autonomic and Distal Symmetrical Polyneuropathy in Individuals With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Milk A1 and A2 peptides and diabetes.
- Xenotransplantation of Cells for Diabetes: Is There a Good Acceptance Rate Among Spanish Adolescents?
16 February 2011
- Evidence That Nasal Insulin Induces Immune Tolerance to Insulin in Adults With Autoimmune Diabetes.
- Multinational study of subcutaneous model-predictive closed-loop control in type 1 diabetes mellitus: summary of the results.
- Stepwise or Linear Decrease in Penetrance of Type 1 Diabetes With Lower-Risk HLA Genotypes Over the Past 40 Years.
- Alterations of platelet biochemical and functional properties in newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes: a role in cardiovascular risk?
- Inhibition of Type 1 Diabetes Correlated to a Lactobacillus johnsonii N6.2-Mediated Th17 Bias.
- In vivo genetic engineering of murine pancreatic beta cells mediated by single-stranded adeno-associated viral vectors of serotypes 6, 8 and 9.
9 February 2011
- Impaired Endothelial Function in Preadolescent Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Enterovirus infection and type 1 diabetes mellitus: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational molecular studies. See also Enterovirus "linked to diabetes."
- Receptor for advanced glycation end-products (RAGE) provides a link between genetic susceptibility and environmental factors in type 1 diabetes.
- The reversal of diabetes in rat model using mouse insulin producing cells - A combination approach of tissue engineering and macroencapsulation.
2 February 2011
- Glucagon Receptor Knockout Prevents Insulin-Deficient Type 1 Diabetes in Mice. See also Rodent of the Week: A different approach to treating Type 1 diabetes and Destroying Glucagon Receptors May Cure Diabetes.
- Accelerated Insulin Pharmacokinetics and Improved Postprandial Glycemic Control in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes After Coadministration of Prandial Insulins With Hyaluronidase. (See also Halozyme Therapeutics Endocrinology Product Pipeline for more information.)
- The Possible Protective Role of Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 on Endothelium During the Meal and Evidence for an "Endothelial Resistance" to Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 in Diabetes .
- Urine C-Peptide Creatinine Ratio Is a Noninvasive Alternative to the Mixed-Meal Tolerance Test in Children and Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Of Mouse & Man: Frustrations and Excitements in Diabetes Research. (Requires Facebook account)
26 January 2011
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist ameliorates renal injury through its anti-inflammatory action without lowering blood glucose level in a rat model of type 1 diabetes.
- Tests for Genetic Interactions in Type 1 Diabetes; Linkage and Stratification Analyses of 4,422 Affected Sib-Pairs.
- Coexistent Autoimmunity in Familial Type 1 Diabetes: Increased Susceptibility in Sib-Pairs?
19 January 2011
- Researchers find the enzyme at the heart of retinopathy caused by type 1 or type 2 diabetes. See also Increased Expression and Activity of 12-Lipoxygenase in Oxygen-Induced Ischemic Retinopathy and Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery During Pregnancy Complicated by Type 1 Diabetes.
- Proinsulin/C-peptide ratio, glucagon and remission in new-onset Type 1 diabetes mellitus in young adults.
- Effect of Automated Bio-Behavioral Feedback on the Control of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Anti-thymoglobulin (ATG) treatment does not reverse type 1 diabetes in the acute virally induced rat insulin promoter-lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (RIP-LCMV) model.
12 January 2011
- On the Occurrence of the Diabetes-Associated Antigen GAD 65 in Human Sera.
- A novel technique for the in vivo imaging of autoimmune diabetes development in the pancreas by two-photon microscopy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pregnancy-induced increase in circulating IGF-I is associated with progression of diabetic retinopathy in women with type 1 diabetes.
- Genetics of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impaired insulin stimulation of muscular ATP production in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Correction of Hyperglycemia in Type 1 Diabetic Models by Transplantation of Encapsulated Insulin-producing Cells Derived from Mouse Embryo Progenitor.
5 January 2011
- HbA(1c) levels in schoolchildren with type 1 diabetes are seasonally variable and dependent on weather conditions.
- Low-dose aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in patients with diabetes: a meta-analysis.
- Prospective comparison of two methods of screening for diabetic retinopathy by nonmydriatic fundus camera. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Effects of Serving High-Sugar Cereals on Children's Breakfast-Eating Behavior.
[ Current Research News | News from 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Thursday January 01, 2015 15:29:01
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.