Research News From 2012
26 December 2012
- Integrated Model of Metabolism and Autoimmune Response in beta-Cell Death and Progression to Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Combination therapies in the context of anti-CD3 antibodies for the treatment of autoimmune diseases. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A Case of Slowly Progressive Type 1 Diabetes with Insulin Independence Maintained for 10 Years with alpha-glucosidase Inhibitor Monotherapy. Free full text available in PDF format.
19 December 2012
- Reversal of diabetes in mice with a bioengineered islet implant incorporating a type I collagen hydrogel and sustained release of vascular endothelial growth factor.
- Rotavirus acceleration of murine type 1 diabetes is associated with a T helper 1-dependent specific serum antibody response and virus effects in regional lymph nodes.
- Engineering antigens for in situ erythrocyte binding induces T-cell deletion. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Autoimmune Disease: Retraining White Blood Cells.
- Does modern high standard life style cause Type 1 diabetes in children?
- Primary and secondary prevention of Type 1 diabetes.
- Role of immune system modulation in prevention of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
12 December 2012
- Molecular anatomy and number of antigen specific CD8 T cells required to cause type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pancreas Organ Weight in Individuals With Disease-Associated Autoantibodies at Risk for Type 1 Diabetes. See also UF researchers: Understanding pancreas size may help unlock cause of Type 1 diabetes.
6 December 2012
- An Online Failure Detection Method of the Glucose Sensor-Insulin Pump System: Improved Overnight Safety of Type-1 Diabetic Subjects.
- Influenza A viruses grow in human pancreatic cells and cause pancreatitis and diabetes in an animal model. See also Diabetes linked to flu.
- Screening for insulinoma antigen 2 and zinc transporter 8 autoantibodies: a cost-effective and age-independent strategy to identify rapid progressors to clinical onset among relatives of type 1 diabetic patients.
28 November 2012
- Closed-Loop Basal Insulin Delivery Over 36 Hours in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Clinical Evaluation of a Personalized Artificial Pancreas.
- Enhanced Absorption of Insulin Aspart as the Result of a Dispersed Injection Strategy Tested in a Randomized Trial in Type 1 Diabetic Patients.
- Better Glycemic Control and Weight Loss With the Novel Long-Acting Basal Insulin LY2605541 Compared With Insulin Glargine in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Lower prediagnostic serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration is associated with higher risk of insulin-requiring diabetes: a nested case–control study. See also Low Vitamin D Level Tied to Type 1 Diabetes.
- Metformin Improves Endothelial Function in Type 1 Diabetic Subjects: A Pilot, Placebo-Controlled Randomized Study.
- High fructose corn syrup and diabetes prevalence: A global perspective. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Diabetes and Sweetener Link Scrutinized.
21 November 2012
- Islet-Specific CTL Cloned from a Type 1 Diabetes Patient Cause Beta-Cell Destruction after Engraftment into HLA-A2 Transgenic NOD/SCID/IL2RG Null Mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Long term effects of the implantation of Wharton's jelly-derived mesenchymal stem cells from the umbilical cord for newly-onset type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Microparticles bearing encephalitogenic peptides induce T-cell tolerance and ameliorate experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. See also Nanoparticle treatment could combat type 1 diabetes.
- Reduction in Carotid Intima-Media Thickness After Pancreatic Islet Transplantation in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- HLA-A*24 Is an Independent Predictor of 5-Year Progression to Diabetes in Autoantibody-Positive First-Degree Relatives of Type 1 Diabetic Patients.
- Family history of Type 1 diabetes affects insulin secretion in patients with 'Type 2' diabetes.
- Long-Term Changes in Adiposity and Glycemic Control Are Associated With Past Adenovirus Infection.
- Recent incidence of type 1 diabetes mellitus in children 0--14 years in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada climbs to over 45/100,000: a retrospective time trend study. Free full text available in PDF format.
14 November 2012
- Adult Pancreas Side Population Cells Expand after beta Cell Injury and Are a Source of Insulin-Secreting Cells. See also Pancreas stem cell discovery may lead to new diabetes treatments.
- White Matter Microstructural Integrity in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Periodic Extraction of Interstitial Fluid from the Site of Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion for the Measurement of Glucose: A Novel Single-Port Technique for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes Patients.
- Delayed Small Intestinal Transit in Patients with Long-Standing Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Investigation of the Relationships with Clinical Features, Gastric Emptying, Psychological Distress, and Nutritional Parameters.
7 November 2012
- Can we vaccinate against Type 1 diabetes? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- From biomarkers to a clue of biology: a computation-aided perspective of immune gene expression profiles in human type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Novel therapies in the management of type I diabetes mellitus.
- Diabetes Death Rates Among Youths Aged <=19 Years — United States, 1968–2009.
- High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among newly diagnosed youth-onset diabetes mellitus in north India. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
31 October 2012
- Real-time assessment of encapsulated neonatal porcine islets prior to clinical xenotransplantation.
- Neo-Islet Formation in Liver of Diabetic Mice by Helper-dependent Adenoviral Vector-Mediated Gene Transfer.
24 October 2012
- Early Life Socioeconomic Indicators and Risk of Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Young Adults.
- Residual beta cell function at diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents varies with gender and season.
- Teplizumab treatment may improve C-peptide responses in participants with type 1 diabetes after the new-onset period: a randomised controlled trial.
- The broad clinical phenotype of Type 1 diabetes at presentation.
18 October 2012
- Effect of insulin feedback on closed-loop glucose control: a crossover study.
- Feasibility of a bihormonal closed-loop system to control postexercise and postprandial glucose excursions.
- Robust fault detection system for insulin pump therapy using continuous glucose monitoring.
- Inpatient studies of a Kalman-filter-based predictive pump shutoff algorithm.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis: role of family history and class II HLA genotypes.
10 October 2012
- Comparative Pharmacokinetics and Insulin Action for Three Rapid-Acting Insulin Analogs Injected Subcutaneously With and Without Hyaluronidase.
- Macroporous Three Dimensional PDMS Scaffolds for Extrahepatic Islet Transplantation.
- New susceptibility Loci associated with kidney disease in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Early Childhood Infections and the Risk of Islet Autoimmunity - The Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young (DAISY).
- Therapeutic Effects of PPARalpha Agonists on Diabetic Retinopathy in Type 1 Diabetic Models.
- Participant characteristics and study features associated with high retention rates in a longitudinal investigation of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
3 October 2012
- Closed-Loop Insulin Therapy Improves Glycemic Control in Children Aged <7 Years.
- Extended Family History of Type 1 Diabetes and Phenotype and Genotype of Newly Diagnosed Children.
- Pancreatic beta Cell Dedifferentiation as a Mechanism of Diabetic beta Cell Failure.
- Pancreas survival in simultaneous pancreas-kidney and pancreas-after-kidney transplantations: A five-year follow-up report.
- Rising Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes in Belgrade Children Aged 0-14 in the Period From 1982 to 2005.
- Use of continuous glucose monitoring as an outcome measure in clinical trials.
- Evaluation of a Novel Continuous Glucose Monitoring-Based Method for Mealtime Insulin Dosing-the iBolus-in Subjects with Type 1 Diabetes Using Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Therapy: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Sleep disturbances and low psychological well-being are associated with an increased risk of autoimmune diabetes in adults. Results from the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study.
- Diet-induced dysbiosis of the intestinal microbiota and the effects on immunity and disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
26 September 2012
- Remogliflozin Etabonate, a Selective Inhibitor of the Sodium-Glucose Transporter 2, Improves Serum Glucose Profiles in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring after Islet Transplantation in Type 1 Diabetes: An Excellent Graft Function (beta-Score Greater Than 7) Is Required to Abrogate Hyperglycemia, Whereas a Minimal Function Is Necessary to Suppress Severe Hypoglycemia (beta-Score Greater Than 3).
- The microbiology of human hygiene and its impact on type 1 diabetes.
- Prevention of Virus-Induced Type 1 Diabetes with Antibiotic Therapy.
- The T1D Exchange Clinic Registry.
- Modified release terbutaline (SKP1052) for hypoglycemia prevention: A proof-of-concept study in people with type 1 diabetes mellitus. See also Terbutaline and the prevention of nocturnal hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes, previously reported (PDF).
19 September 2012
- Stem cells as a tool to improve outcomes of islet transplantation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Glucagon secretion and signaling in the development of diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Enterovirus-induced gene expression profile is critical for human pancreatic islet destruction.
- Teplizumab for Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
12 September 2012
- On the Etiology of Type 1 Diabetes: A New Animal Model Signifying a Decisive Role for Bacteria Eliciting an Adverse Innate Immunity Response.
- White Matter Structural Differences in Young Children With Type 1 Diabetes: A Diffusion Tensor Imaging Study.
- Current evidence on the associations of breastfeeding, infant formula, and cow's milk introduction with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review.
- Dysregulated Toll-Like Receptor–Induced Interleukin-1beta and Interleukin-6 Responses in Subjects at Risk for the Development of Type 1 Diabetes.
- The BH3-Only Proteins Bim and Puma Cooperate to Impose Deletional Tolerance of Organ-Specific Antigens. See also Immune cell death safeguards against autoimmune disease and Proteins offer protection from type 1 diabetes.
5 September 2012
- Maturation of Human Embryonic Stem Cell–Derived Pancreatic Progenitors Into Functional Islets Capable of Treating Pre-existing Diabetes in Mice. See also UBC scientists reverse diabetes in mice using stem-cell transplants.
- Insulin resistance in multiple tissues in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus on long term continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion therapy.
- A strategy for combining minor genetic susceptibility genes to improve prediction of disease in type 1 diabetes.
- Type I diabetes among children and young adults: the role of country of birth, socioeconomic position and sex.
- Factors That Influence Parental Attitudes toward Enrollment in Type 1 Diabetes Trials. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
30 August 2012
- Blood Glucose Control in Type 1 Diabetes With a Bihormonal Bionic Endocrine Pancreas.
- A fluorescent responsive hybrid nanogel for closed-loop control of glucose.
- Pharmacokinetics and Postprandial Glycemic Excursions following Insulin Lispro Delivered by Intradermal Microneedle or Subcutaneous Infusion.
- Islet beta-Cell Mass Preservation and Regeneration in Diabetes Mellitus: Four Factors with Potential Therapeutic Interest. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (PDF link in HTML page).
- Increasing local blood flow by warming the application site: beneficial effects on postprandial glycemic excursions.
- Insulin Degludec/Insulin Aspart Administered Once Daily at Any Meal, With Insulin Aspart at Other Meals Versus a Standard Basal-Bolus Regimen in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Relationship between diabetic retinopathy, microalbuminuria and overt nephropathy, and twenty-year incidence follow-up of a sample of type 1 diabetic patients.
- Complications of continuous intraperitoneal insulin infusion with an implantable pump. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
22 August 2012
- Proof-of-Concept, Randomized, Controlled Clinical Trial of Bacillus-Calmette-Guerin for Treatment of Long-Term Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML format with link to PDF.
- Human embryonic stem cell differentiation into insulin secreting beta cells for diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Three-Dimensional Scaffolds Reduce Islet Amyloid Formation and Enhance Survival and Function of Cultured Human Islets.
- The Non-Obese Diabetic (NOD) Mouse as a Model of Human Type 1 Diabetes.
- The BB Rat as a Model of Human Type 1 Diabetes.
8 August 2012
- Feasibility Study of Automated Overnight Closed-Loop Glucose Control Under MD-Logic Artificial Pancreas in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: The DREAM Project.
- The Use of an Automated, Portable, Glucose Control System for Overnight Glucose Control in Adolescents and Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Vildagliptin Reduces Glucagon during Hyperglycemia and Sustains Glucagon Counterregulation during Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Systemic exposure to Pseudomonal bacteria: a potential link between type 1 diabetes and chronic inflammation.
- Patient Perspectives on Personalized Glucose Advisory Systems for Type 1 Diabetes Management.
- Immunotherapy for Type 1 diabetes: getting beyond a negative first impression.
1 August 2012
- Improvements in the life expectancy of type 1 diabetes; The Pittsburgh Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications Study cohort.
- Breast-Feeding and Childhood-Onset Type 1 Diabetes; A pooled analysis of individual participant data from 43 observational studies.
- The Effect of Direct Renin Inhibition Alone and in Combination With ACE Inhibition on Endothelial Function, Arterial Stiffness, and Renal Function in Type 1 Diabetes.
- History of Cesarean Section Associated with Childhood Onset of T1DM in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- In vitro generation of functional insulin-producing cells from human bone marrow-derived stem cells, but long-term culture running risk of malignant transformation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
25 July 2012
- Autologous cord blood harvesting in North Eastern Italy: ethical questions and emerging hopes for curing diabetes and celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Evaluation of a portable ambulatory prototype for automated overnight closed-loop insulin delivery in young people with type 1 diabetes.
- Effect of Pramlintide on Prandial Glycemic Excursions During Closed-Loop Control in Adolescents and Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Potential role of non-insulin adjunct therapy in Type 1 diabetes.
- Prevention of type 1 diabetes through infection with an intestinal nematode parasite requires IL-10 in the absence of a Th2-type response.
- Detection of hypoglycemia associated EEG changes during sleep in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Plasma C-peptide concentration in women with Type 1 diabetes during early and late pregnancy.
- Bayesian analysis of the geographical variation of type 1 diabetes mellitus in under 15 yr olds in northeast Spain, 1991-2009.
- The potential of Fas ligand (apoptosis-inducing molecule) as an unconventional therapeutic target in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
18 July 2012
- Immunoisolation Effect of Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) Macroencapsulated Islets in Type 1 Diabetes Therapy.
- Relationship between Retinopathy Severity, Visual Impairment and Depression in Persons with Long-term Type 1 Diabetes.
4 July 2012
- Adoptive Transfer of Immunomodulatory M2 Macrophages Prevents Type 1 Diabetes in NOD Mice. See also Researchers prevent mice from developing diabetes.
- Long-Term Remission of Diabetes in NOD Mice Is Induced by Nondepleting Anti-CD4 and Anti-CD8 Antibodies.
27 June 2012
- Remission without insulin therapy on gluten-free diet in a 6-year old boy with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Administration of CD4+CD25highCD127- Regulatory T Cells Preserves beta-Cell Function in Type 1 Diabetes in Children.
- Maturation of Human Embryonic Stem Cell–Derived Pancreatic Progenitors into Functional Islets Capable of Treating Pre-existing Diabetes in Mice.
20 June 2012
- Latent autoimmune diabetes of adults: From oral hypoglycemic agents to early insulin. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Hyperglycemia Increases Muscle Blood Flow and Alters Endothelial Function in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Use of class I and class II HLA loci for predicting age at onset of type 1 diabetes in multiple populations.
- Soluble CD40L in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: relation to microvascular complications and glycemic control.
- A Prototype of a New Noninvasive Device to Detect Nocturnal Hypoglycemia in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes-A Pilot Study.
13 June 2012
- Fully Integrated Artificial Pancreas in Type 1 Diabetes - Modular Closed-Loop Glucose Control Maintains Near Normoglycemia.
- Fall in C-peptide During First 2 Years From Diagnosis.
- Metabolic memory for vascular disease in diabetes.
- No evidence of enteroviruses in the intestine of patients with type 1 diabetes.
6 June 2012
- Differential regulation of embryonic and adult beta cell replication. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Beta cell function and BMI in ethnically diverse children with newly diagnosed autoimmune type 1 diabetes.
30 May 2012
- A scalable system for production of functional pancreatic progenitors from human embryonic stem cells. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Generation of transplantable Beta cells for patient-specific cell therapy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Trends in childhood type 1 diabetes incidence in Europe during 1989-2008: evidence of non-uniformity over time in rates of increase.
- What is the key environmental trigger in type 1 diabetes - Is it viruses, or wheat gluten, or both?
23 May 2012
- Type 1 diabetes associated and tissue transglutaminase autoantibodies in patients without type 1 diabetes and coeliac disease with confirmed viral infections.
- Association between carotid intima-media thickness, buccodental status, and glycemic control in pediatric type 1 diabetes.
- Cytokine and Chemokine Production by Human Pancreatic Islets Upon Enterovirus Infection.
- The Effect of Type 2 Diabetes Risk Loci on Insulin Requirements in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Insulin degludec: four times lower pharmacodynamic variability than insulin glargine under steady state conditions in type 1 diabetes.
- Decreased GAD(65) -specific Th1/Tc1 phenotype in children with Type 1 diabetes treated with GAD-alum.
- Network for Pancreatic Organ Donors with Diabetes (nPOD): developing a tissue biobank for type 1 diabetes. For more information, visit the JDRF NPOD web site.
16 May 2012
- The Increasing Onset of Type 1 Diabetes in Children.
- Emerging Effects of Early Environmental Factors over Genetic Background for Type 1 Diabetes Susceptibility: Evidence from a Nationwide Italian Twin Study.
- Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes in Childhood before and after the Reunification of Germany - an Analysis of Epidemiological Data, 1960-2006.
- In Vivo Imaging of Endogenous Pancreatic beta-Cell Mass in Healthy and Type 1 Diabetic Subjects Using 18F-Fluoropropyl-Dihydrotetrabenazine and PET.
- In vitro and in vivo testing of glucose-responsive insulin-delivery microdevices in diabetic rats.
- Mixed Chimerism and Growth Factors Augment beta Cell Regeneration and Reverse Late-Stage Type 1 Diabetes.
- Etiopathogenesis of insulin autoimmunity. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
9 May 2012
- Prevention of Type 1A Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Lack of association of type 2 diabetes susceptibility genotypes and body weight on the development of islet autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Serum levels of advanced glycation endproducts and other markers of protein damage in early diabetic nephropathy in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Advancing animal models of human type 1 diabetes by engraftment of functional human tissues in immunodeficient mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
2 May 2012
- Challenges in diagnosing type 1 diabetes in different populations. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Clinical performance of a device that applies local heat to the insulin infusion site: a crossover study.
- Clinical requirements for closed-loop control systems.
- The identifiable virtual patient model: comparison of simulation and clinical closed-loop study results.
25 April 2012
- Xenografted Islet Cell Clusters From INSLEA29Y Transgenic Pigs Rescue Diabetes and Prevent Immune Rejection in Humanized Mice.
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for curing children with severe autoimmune diseases: Is this a valid option? (See also hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in Wikipedia.)
18 April 2012
- Potent Induction Immunotherapy Promotes Long-Term Insulin Independence After Islet Transplantation in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Human Insulin Secreted From Insulinogenic Xenograft Restores Normoglycemia in Type I Diabetic Mice without Immunosuppression.
- An Actor-Critic based controller for glucose regulation in type 1 diabetes.
- Birth weight in newborn infants with different diabetes-associated HLA genotypes in three neighboring countries: Finland, Estonia and Russian Karelia.
- Infection as a cause of type 1 diabetes?
- High-density lipoprotein subspecies between patients with type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes without / with intensive insulin therapy.
11 April 2012
- Reversal of Diabetes in Mice with a Bioengineered Islet Implant Incorporating a Type I Collagen Hydrogel and Sustained Release of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor.
- Reversal of autoimmune diabetes by restoration of antigen-specific tolerance using genetically modified Lactococcus lactis in mice. See also Engineered Gut Bacteria Reverse Type 1 Diabetes in Experimental Mice.
- Antigen targets of type 1 diabetes autoimmunity. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pleiotropic action of proinsulin C-peptide.
- Enhancing the Accuracy of Subcutaneous Glucose Sensors: A Real-time Deconvolution-based Approach.
- The effects of folic acid on markers of endothelial function in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Differences in recruitment and early retention among ethnic minority participants in a large pediatric cohort: The TEDDY Study.
4 April 2012
- Neighborhood context and incidence of type 1 diabetes: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.
- Longitudinal trends in use and costs of prescription medication in patients with type 1 diabetes: The impact of renal disease.
- Prevalence of gastroparesis-related symptoms in an unselected cohort of patients with Type 1 diabetes.
28 March 2012
- Restoring insulin production for type 1 diabetes.
- Improved Preservation of Residual Beta Cell Function by Atorvastatin in Patients with Recent Onset Type 1 Diabetes and High CRP Levels (DIATOR Trial). Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link.
- Early seroconversion and rapidly increasing autoantibody concentrations predict prepubertal manifestation of type 1 diabetes in children at genetic risk.
- Improving cellular function and immune protection via layer-by-layer nanocoating of pancreatic islet beta-cell spheroids cocultured with mesenchymal stem cells.
- The Effects of Long-Term Oral Benfotiamine Supplementation on Peripheral Nerve Function and Inflammatory Markers in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Gastric Autoimmunity in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: A Prospective Study.
21 March 2012
- Maternal Enterovirus Infection as a Risk Factor for Type 1 Diabetes in the Exposed Offspring.
- Induction Therapy With Autologous Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Living-Related Kidney Transplants. See also Collaborative Study from the Diabetes Research Institute Federation and The Cure Alliance Shows that Stem Cells Can Replace Powerful Anti-Rejection Drug to Prevent Rejection and Improve Outcome in Transplant Recipients.
- Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Modulates Immunocompetent Cells and Improves beta-Cell Function in Chinese Patients with New Onset of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Glucose-stimulated insulin secretion of various mesenchymal stem cells after insulin-producing cell differentiation.
- Urinary markers of renal inflammation in adolescents with Type 1 diabetes mellitus and normoalbuminuria.
- Costs of paediatric diabetes care in Germany: current situation and comparison with the year 2000.
- Distinguishing type 2 diabetes from type 1 diabetes in african american and Hispanic american pediatric patients. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
14 March 2012
- Removal of Bovine Insulin From Cow's Milk Formula and Early Initiation of Beta-Cell Autoimmunity in the FINDIA Pilot Study.
- Effects of Diet Soda on Gut Hormones in Youths With Diabetes.
- Whole-Blood Tissue Factor Procoagulant Activity Is Elevated in Type 1 Diabetes and Effects of Hyperglycemia and Hyperinsulinemia.
- Association of Basal hyperglucagonemia with impaired glucagon counterregulation in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Autoantibodies and High-Risk HLA Susceptibility Markers in First-Degree Relatives of Brazilian Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Progression to Disease Based Study.
- Generation of functional insulin-producing cells in the gut by Foxo1 ablation. See also Gut Cells Turned To Insulin Factories - New Type l Diabetes Treatment.
7 March 2012
- Closed-loop insulin delivery: towards improved diabetes care. Free full text available in HTML format.
- The interplay of autoimmunity and insulin resistance in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Increasing Incidence and Age at Diagnosis among Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus over a 20-Year Period in Auckland (New Zealand).
- Glycotoxin and Autoantibodies Are Additive Environmentally Determined Predictors of Type 1 Diabetes; A Twin and Population Study.
- Immunology in the clinic review series; focus on type 1 diabetes and viruses: the enterovirus link to type 1 diabetes: critical review of human studies.
29 February 2012
- Reversal of Diabetes Through Gene Therapy of Diabetic Rats by Hepatic Insulin Expression via Lentiviral Transduction.
- The Accuracy Benefit of Multiple Amperometric Glucose Sensors in People With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Preexisting Autoantibodies Predict Efficacy of Oral Insulin To Cure Autoimmune Diabetes in Combination With Anti-CD3.
- Effect of the PTPN22 and INS Risk Genotypes on the Progression to Clinical Type 1 Diabetes After the Initiation of beta-cell Autoimmunity.
- Historical data enhances safety supervision system performance in T1DM insulin therapy risk management.
- Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 Recruits Microvasculature and Increases Glucose Use in Muscle via a Nitric Oxide–Dependent Mechanism.
- Arterial Stiffness Is Increased in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Without Cardiovascular Disease; A potential role of low-grade inflammation.
22 February 2012
- Persistence of Prolonged C-peptide Production in Type 1 Diabetes as Measured With an Ultrasensitive C-peptide Assay. See also Study finds some insulin production in long-term type 1 diabetes and Insulin production may persist for decades after onset of type 1 diabetes.
- Does severe hypoglycaemia influence microvascular complications in Type 1 diabetes? An analysis of the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial database.
15 February 2012
- Genetics of type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Virus infections in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- CD8+ T-Cell Deficiency, Epstein-Barr Virus Infection, Vitamin D Deficiency, and Steps to Autoimmunity: A Unifying Hypothesis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Could the social environment trigger the induction of diabetes related autoantibodies in young children?
- Infant and Toddler Type 1 Diabetes: Complications after 20 years’ duration.
- Reversal of diabetes by beta-TC3 cells encapsulated in alginate beads generated by emulsion and internal gelation.
- Hypoglycemia, but not Glucose Variability, Relates to Vascular Function in Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Hyperfiltration in type 1 diabetes: does it exist and does it matter for nephropathy?
- The branching pattern of villous capillaries and structural changes of placental terminal villi in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Long-Term (5 Years) Efficacy and Safety of Pancreas Transplantation Alone in Type 1 Diabetic Patients.
8 February 2012
- GAD65 antigen therapy in recently diagnosed type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Reversal of Type 1 Diabetes in Mice by Brown Adipose Tissue Transplant.
- Type 1 Diabetes Is Associated With Enterovirus Infection in Gut Mucosa.
- Is the origin of type 1 diabetes in the gut?
- Rising Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes Is Associated With Altered Immunophenotype at Diagnosis.
- Age-related islet autoantibody incidence in offspring of patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Interbirth Interval Is Associated With Childhood Type 1 Diabetes Risk.
- East Africans in Sweden Have a High Risk for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Age-Related Loss of Brain Volume and T2 Relaxation Time in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes.
1 February 2012
- Discovery of early-stage biomarkers for diabetic kidney disease using ms-based metabolomics (FinnDiane study). Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Spironolactone diminishes urinary albumin excretion in patients with type 1 diabetes and microalbuminuria: a randomized placebo-controlled crossover study.
- Diabetic retinopathy in the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Cohort: a pilot study.
- Empagliflozin, a novel potent and selective SGLT-2 inhibitor, improves glycaemic control alone and in combination with insulin in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, a model of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level during early pregnancy and type 1 diabetes risk in the offspring.
- Proinsulin C-peptide interferes with insulin fibril formation.
25 January 2012
- Development of a fully automated closed loop artificial pancreas control system with dual pump delivery of insulin and glucagon.
- Islet autoantibodies and residual beta cell function in type 1 diabetes children followed for 3-6 years.
- Advanced Glycation End Products as Environmental Risk Factors for the Development of Type 1 Diabetes.
- A novel strategy for long-term implantable artificial pancreas.
18 January 2012
- Safe Glycemic Management during Closed-Loop Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes: The Role of Glucagon, Use of Multiple Sensors, and Compensation for Stress Hyperglycemia.
- Closed-loop glucose control: psychological and behavioral considerations.
- Continuous glucose monitoring considerations for the development of a closed-loop artificial pancreas system.
- A controlled study of the effectiveness of an adaptive closed-loop algorithm to minimize corticosteroid-induced stress hyperglycemia in type 1 diabetes.
- Meta-analysis of overnight closed-loop randomized studies in children and adults with type 1 diabetes: the cambridge cohort.
- Neighborhood level risk factors for type 1 diabetes in youth: the SEARCH case-control study.
- Structural basis for the killing of human beta cells by CD8(+) T cells in type 1 diabetes.
- Left ventricular filling patterns and its relation to left ventricular untwist in patients with type 1 diabetes and normal ejection fraction.
- The Timing of Dialysis and Kidney Transplantation in Type 1 Diabetes.
11 January 2012
- Reversal of type 1 diabetes via islet beta cell regeneration following immune modulation by cord blood-derived multipotent stem cells. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Novel Stem Cell Treatment May Hold Promise for Type 1 Diabetes and Type 1 Diabetes Reversed With Stem Cells From Cord Blood.
- Characterization of a Novel Functional Protein in the Pancreatic Islet: Islet Homeostasis Protein Regulation of Glucagon Synthesis in alpha Cells. See also Researchers Discover Protein that May Represent New Target for Treating Type 1 Diabetes.
- Promoting long-term survival of insulin-producing cell grafts that differentiate from adipose tissue-derived stem cells to cure type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentrations and In Vivo Insulin Sensitivity and beta-Cell Function Relative to Insulin Sensitivity in Black and White Youth.
- The development and validation of a clinical prediction model to determine the probability of MODY in patients with young-onset diabetes.
- Blue Flash ERG PhNR Changes Associated with Poor Long-Term Glycemic Control in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
4 January 2012
- Towards an artificial pancreas at home.
- Advances in pump technology: insulin patch pumps, combined pumps and glucose sensors, and implanted pumps.
- Regulated and Reversible Induction of Adult Human beta-Cell Replication.
- Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults Is Phenotypically Similar to Type 1 Diabetes in a Minority Population.
[ Current Research News | News from 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Thursday January 01, 2015 15:29:01
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.