Research News From 2013
25 December 2013
- Diabetes in the young - a global view and worldwide estimates of numbers of children with type 1 diabetes.
- High birth weights but not excessive weight gain prior to manifestation are related to earlier onset of diabetes in childhood: 'accelerator hypothesis' revisited.
- Pharmacokinetics of Insulin Aspart and Glucagon in Type 1 Diabetes during Closed-Loop Operation.
- In Silico Optimization of Basal Insulin Infusion Rate during Exercise: Implication for Artificial Pancreas.
- Periodic-zone model predictive control for diurnal closed-loop operation of an artificial pancreas.
- The evidence base for diabetes technology: appropriate and inappropriate meta-analysis.
- Renal replacement therapy due to type 1 diabetes; time trends during 1995-2010 - A Swedish population based register study.
18 December 2013
- Effect of intraperitoneal insulin administration on IGF1 and IGFBP1 in type 1 diabetes.
- The contribution of glycemic control to impaired growth during puberty in young people with type 1 diabetes and microalbuminuria.
- No association between type 1 diabetes and genetic variation in vitamin D metabolism genes: a Danish study.
11 December 2013
- GAD-treatment of children and adolescents with recent-onset Type 1 diabetes preserves residual insulin secretion after 30 months.
- Placental leptin and its receptor genes expression in pregnancies complicated by type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Alterations in White Matter Structure in Young Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Do patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes really have an impaired endothelial function? A population-based propensity score matching analysis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Magnitude and mechanisms of glucose counterregulation following islet transplantation in patients with type 1 diabetes suffering from severe hypoglycaemic episodes.
- Proliferative retinopathy in type 1 diabetes is associated with cerebral microbleeds, which is part of generalized microangiopathy.
- Total and LDL cholesterol are associated with glomerular filtration rate in normoalbuminuric type 1 diabetic patients.
4 December 2013
- Altered immune regulation in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Co-Stimulation Modulation with Abatacept in Patients with Recent-Onset Type 1 Diabetes: Follow-Up One Year After Cessation of Treatment.
- Trends in the incidence of type 1 diabetes among Jews and Arabs in Israel.
- HbA1c tracking and bio-psychosocial determinants of glycaemic control in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: retrospective cohort study and multilevel analysis.
27 November 2013
- Systematically in silico comparison of unihormonal and bihormonal artificial pancreas systems. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Assessment of Type 1 Diabetes Risk Conferred by HLA-DRB1, INS-VNTR and PTPN22 Genes Using the Bayesian Network Approach. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Generation of Functional Insulin-Producing Cells from Neonatal Porcine Liver-Derived Cells by PDX1/VP16, BETA2/NeuroD and MafA. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
20 November 2013
- Feasibility of a Portable Bihormonal Closed-Loop System to Control Glucose Excursions at Home Under Free-Living Conditions for 48 Hours.
- Temporal intra-individual variation of immunological biomarkers in type 1 diabetes patients: implications for future use in cross-sectional assessment. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Recruitment and retention of participants for an international type 1 diabetes prevention trial: A coordinators' perspective.
- Vitamin D at the onset of type 1 diabetes in Italian children.
- Low incidence of spontaneous type 1 diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice raised on gluten-free diets is associated with changes in the intestinal microbiome. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Gluten Changes Microbiome, Increases Type 1 Diabetes.
13 November 2013
- Early onset of diabetes in the proband is the major determinant of risk in HLA DR3-DQ2/DR4-DQ8 siblings.
- Autoimmune disorders and quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccination of young female subjects.
- Islet cell antibodies (ICA) identify autoimmunity in children with new onset diabetes mellitus negative for other islet cell antibodies.
- The Association between Vitamin D and Vascular Stiffness in Adolescents with and without Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Treatment of Autoimmune Diabetes by Inhibiting the Initial Event. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Occurrence of Spontaneous Pancreatic Lesions in Normal and Diabetic Rats: A Potential Confounding Factor in the Nonclinical Assessment of Glucagon-Like Peptide (GLP)-1-Based Therapies.
6 November 2013
- Transplantation of human islets without immunosuppression.
- The trends and the risk of type 1 diabetes over the past 40 years: an analysis by birth cohorts and by parental migration background in Sweden. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Genetic and Epigenetic Factors in Etiology of Diabetes Mellitus Type 1.
30 October 2013
- Safety of Nighttime 2-Hour Suspension of Basal Insulin in Pump-Treated Type 1 Diabetes Even in the Absence of Low Glucose.
- Day and Night Closed-Loop Control in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Artificial Pancreas Using a Personalized Rule-Based Controller Achieves Overnight Normoglycemia in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Incidence of type 1 diabetes in Norway among children aged 0-14 years between 1989 and 2012: has the incidence stopped rising? Results from the Norwegian Childhood Diabetes Registry.
- Neuroanatomical correlates of dysglycemia in young children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
23 October 2013
- Finnish team makes diabetes vaccine breakthrough, Key discovery raises hope of jab to beat diabetes, and New Evidence for Role of Specific Virus Causing Type 1 Diabetes reference Virus Antibody Survey in Different European Populations Indicates Risk Association Between Coxsackievirus B1 and Type 1 Diabetes, previously reported.
- Effectiveness of Early Intensive Therapy on beta-Cell Preservation in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Model-Based Closed-Loop Glucose Control in Type 1 Diabetes: The DiaCon Experience.
- Patterns of beta-Cell Autoantibody Appearance and Genetic Associations During the First Years of Life.
- Vitamin C Further Improves the Protective Effect of Glucagon-like Peptide-1 on Acute Hypoglycemia-Induced Oxidative Stress, Inflammation, and Endothelial Dysfunction in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Low Prevalence of Sublinical Atherosclerosis in Asymptomatic Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in a European Mediterranean Population.
15 October 2013
- The majority of patients with long-duration type 1 diabetes are insulin microsecretors and have functioning beta cells.
- Characterization of residual beta-cell function in long standing type 1 diabetes.
- Age-dependent decline of beta cell function in type 1 diabetes after diagnosis: a multi-centre longitudinal study.
- Early immunotherapy using autologous adult stem cells reversed the effect of anti-pancreatic islets in recently diagnosed type 1 diabetes mellitus: Preliminary results.
- Effect of a single autologous cord blood infusion on beta-cell and immune function in children with new onset type 1 diabetes: a non-randomized, controlled trial.
- Islet transplantation in type 1 diabetes: hype, hope and reality - a clinician's perspective.
- Autoimmune, neurological, and venous thromboembolic adverse events after immunisation of adolescent girls with quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine in Denmark and Sweden: cohort study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
9 October 2013
- Impact of C-Peptide Preservation on Metabolic and Clinical Outcomes in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial.
- Hyperglycemia following recovery from hypoglycemia worsens endothelial damage and thrombosis activation in type 1 diabetes and in healthy controls.
- Non-invasive detection of microvascular changes in a paediatric and adolescent population with type 1 diabetes: a pilot cross-sectional study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Comparative effects of prolonged and intermittent stimulation of the glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor on gastric emptying and glycaemia.
2 October 2013
- The Emerging Global Epidemic of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Increasing burden, younger age at onset and worst metabolic control in migrant than in Italian children with type 1 diabetes: an emerging problem in pediatric clinics.
- Do data in the literature indicate that glycaemic variability is a clinical problem? Glycaemic variability and vascular complications of diabetes..
- Embedding islet in a liquid scaffold increases islet viability and function.
- Increased circulating levels of betatrophin in individuals with long-standing type 1 diabetes.
25 September 2013
- Effect of Sensor-Augmented Insulin Pump Therapy and Automated Insulin Suspension vs Standard Insulin Pump Therapy on Hypoglycemia in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes. See also Low-Glucose-Suspension Feature Cuts Severe Hypoglycemia (Free Medscape membership required).
- Targeting of memory T cells with alefacept in new-onset type 1 diabetes (T1DAL study): 12 month results of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 2 trial. See also Psoriasis drug shows promising results for treating type 1 diabetes.
- Infectious triggers in type 1 diabetes: is there a case for epitope mimicry?
- Large European study suggests men with type 1 diabetes are better at blood sugar control than women.
- Network-level structural abnormalities of cerebral cortex in type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Under 20% of Donations Raised for a Cure Are Actually Allocated to Cure Research according to the Juvenile Diabetes Cure Alliance.
18 September 2013
- Prevalence of Diabetes Mellitus in U.S. Youth in 2009: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.
- Factors Associated with Maternal Reported Actions to Prevent Type 1 Diabetes in the First Year of the TEDDY Study.
- Children followed in the TEDDY study are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at an early stage of disease.
- Age at first introduction to complementary foods is associated with sociodemographic factors in children with increased genetic risk of developing type 1 diabetes.
- The timing of introduction of complementary foods and later health.
- Early postnatal growth in children with HLA-conferred susceptibility to type 1 diabetes.
- Vitamin d intake and risk of type 1 diabetes: a meta-analysis of observational studies.
- Human C-reactive protein induces endothelial dysfunction in biobreeding diabetic rats. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Longitudinal evaluation of Endothelial Function in children and adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: a long term follow up study.
4 September 2013
- C-peptide preserves the renal microvascular architecture in the streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat.
- Association between Vitamin D Metabolism Gene Polymorphisms and Risk of Islet Autoimmunity and Progression to Type 1 Diabetes: The Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young (DAISY).
- Frontal gray matter atrophy in middle aged adults with type 1 diabetes is independent of cardiovascular risk factors and diabetes complications.
- The Systemic Immune Network in Recent Onset Type 1 Diabetes: Central Role of Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist (DIATOR Trial). Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pharmacokinetics Modeling of Exogenous Glucagon in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Patients.
28 August 2013
- Coxsackievirus B1 Is Associated With Induction of beta-Cell Autoimmunity That Portends Type 1 Diabetes.
- Determination of C-peptide in children: when is it useful?
- Effect of abatacept on immunogenicity of vaccines in individuals with type 1 diabetes.
- Key Protein Accelerates Diabetes in Two Ways.
- Heligmosomoides polygyrus infection reduces severity of type 1 diabetes induced by multiple low-dose streptozotocin in mice via STAT6- and IL-10-independent mechanisms.
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis at Diagnosis in Austrian Children: A Population-Based Analysis, 1989-2011.
- Time trends in mortality rates in type 1 diabetes from 2002 to 2011.
21 August 2013
- Decreased cord-blood phospholipids in young age at onset type 1 diabetes.
- Night glucose control with MD-Logic artificial pancreas in home setting: a single blind, randomized crossover trial-interim analysis.
- Type 1 Diabetes Study Identifies Subset of Patients With Strong Response to Therapy.
- Physical Activity Measured by Physical Activity Monitoring System Correlates with Glucose Trends Reconstructed from Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
- Comparison of Physical Activity Sensors and Heart Rate Monitoring for Real-Time Activity Detection in Type 1 Diabetes and Control Subjects.
- Environmental determinants of islet autoimmunity (ENDIA): a pregnancy to early life cohort study in children at-risk of type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
14 August 2013
- Advanced Glycation Endproducts in Children with Diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes Drug Proves Effective in Clinical Trial.
- Vitamin D deficiency is not associated with changes in retinal geometric parameters in young people with type 1 diabetes.
- Glycemic control in familial vs. sporadic type 1 diabetes patients over 5 years.
- Human Intestinal Microbiota and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Implanted islets in the anterior chamber of the eye are prone to autoimmune attack in a mouse model of diabetes.
- The levels of circulating TRAIL at the onset of type 1 diabetes are markedly decreased in patients with ketoacidosis and with the highest insulin requirement.
7 August 2013
- Glucose-Responsive Microgels Integrated with Enzyme Nanocapsules for Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery.
- Risk factors and primary prevention trials for type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Concordance of retinopathy and nephropathy over time in Type 1 diabetes: an analysis of data from the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial.
- Vitamin D in youth with Type 1 diabetes: prevalence of insufficiency and association with insulin resistance in the SEARCH Nutrition Ancillary Study.
- Insulin secretion and sensitivity in the prediction of type 1 diabetes in children with advanced beta-cell autoimmunity.
- Pediatric Diabetes Consortium Type 1 Diabetes New Onset (NeOn) Study: factors associated with HbA1c levels one year after diagnosis.
- Challenges and Future Directions of the T1D Exchange Clinic Network and Registry.
- Insulin Delivery and Glucose Monitoring Methods: Future Research Needs: Identification of Future Research Needs From Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 57. Free full text available in PDF format.
31 July 2013
- Outpatient Safety Assessment of an In-Home Predictive Low-Glucose Suspend System with Type 1 Diabetes Subjects at Elevated Risk of Nocturnal Hypoglycemia.
- Shaping the (auto)immune response in the gut: the role of intestinal immune regulation in the prevention of type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Clinical and technical factors associated with skin intrinsic fluorescence in subjects with type 1 diabetes from the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications Study.
- The association between the HLA system and retinopathy development in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Prevalence of Diagnosed and Undiagnosed Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Among US Adolescents: Results from the Continuous NHANES, 1999-2010.
24 July 2013
- Intraperitoneal insulin delivery to patients with type 1 diabetes results in higher serum IGF-I bioactivity than continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion.
- In Silico Design of Optimal Ratio for Co-Administration of Pramlintide and Insulin in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Does metformin improve vascular heath in children with type 1 diabetes? Protocol for a one year, double blind, randomised, placebo controlled trial. Free full text available in PDF format.
17 July 2013
- Correction of Diabetic Hyperglycemia and Amelioration of Metabolic Anomalies by Minicircle DNA Mediated Glucose-Dependent Hepatic Insulin Production. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Severe Hypoglycemia–Induced Lethal Cardiac Arrhythmias Are Mediated by Sympathoadrenal Activation.
- Teplizumab (anti-CD3 mAb) treatment preserves C-peptide responses in patients with new-onset type 1 diabetes in a randomized controlled trial: Metabolic and immunologic features at baseline identify a subgroup of responders.
- Glucose-Responsive Microgels Integrated with Enzyme Nanocapsules for Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery.
- A Glucose Model Based on Support Vector Regression for the Prediction of Hypoglycemic Events Under Free-Living Conditions.
- Inflammatory biomarkers and progression of diabetic retinopathy in African Americans with type 1 diabetes.
- More than twenty years of registration of type 1 diabetes in Sardinian children: temporal variations of incidence with age, period of diagnosis and year of birth.
- The Acceleration of the Loss of the First-Phase Insulin Response during the Progression to Type 1 Diabetes in Diabetes Prevention Trial-Type 1 Participants.
- Long-Term Complications and Mortality in Young-Onset Diabetes; Type 2 diabetes is more hazardous and lethal than type 1 diabetes.
3 July 2013
- Feasibility of Outpatient Fully Integrated Closed-Loop Control: First studies of wearable artificial pancreas.
- Nutritional Factors and Preservation of C-Peptide in Youth With Recently Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes: SEARCH Nutrition Ancillary Study.
- Respiratory Infections in Early Life and the Development of Islet Autoimmunity in Children at Increased Type 1 Diabetes Risk. Evidence From the BABYDIET Study. see also Early Respiratory Infections Linked to Type 1 Diabetes Risk.
- The Prediction of Type 1 Diabetes by Multiple Autoantibody Levels and Their Incorporation Into an Autoantibody Risk Score in Relatives of Type 1 Diabetic Patients.
- The Association of Skin-Intrinsic Fluorescence With Type 1 Diabetes Complications in the DCCT/EDIC Study.
- Vitamin C further improves the protective effect of GLP-1 on the ischemia-reperfusion-like effect induced by hyperglycemia post-hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
26 June 2013
- Teplizumab preserves C-peptide in recent-onset type 1 diabetes: 2-year results from the randomized, placebo-controlled Protégé trial.
- Threshold-Based Insulin-Pump Interruption for Reduction of Hypoglycemia. Free full text available in PDF format.
- HLA class II genotyping of African American type 1 diabetes patients reveals associations unique to African haplotypes.
19 June 2013
- Seroconversion to Multiple Islet Autoantibodies and Risk of Progression to Diabetes in Children. See also Markers of Beta-Cell Dysfunction Associated With High Rate of Progression to Type 1 Diabetes and Blood Test May Predict Type 1 Diabetes in Children.
- Intrafamilial spread of enterovirus infections at the clinical onset of type 1 diabetes.
- Variations in rodent models of type 1 diabetes: islet morphology. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- An early warning system for hypoglycemic/hyperglycemic events based on fusion of adaptive prediction models.
12 June 2013
- Persistent C-peptide: what does it mean? See also C-Peptide and its career from innocent bystander to active player in diabetic atherogenesis.
- Why is Type 1 Diabetes Increasing?
- The interplay between the gut microbiota and the immune system in the mechanism of type 1 diabetes.
- The case for virus-induced type 1 diabetes.
- Effects of triple antioxidant therapy on measures of cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy and on myocardial blood flow in type 1 diabetes: a randomised controlled trial.
- The use of intermediate endpoints in the design of type 1 diabetes prevention trials.
- Treating type 1 diabetes: from strategies for insulin delivery to dual hormonal control.
- A Mixed Mirror-image DNA/RNA Aptamer Inhibits Glucagon and Acutely Improves Glucose Tolerance in Models of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
5 June 2013
- Anti-CD3 clinical trials in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Human Umblical Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Can Secret Insulin In Vitro and In Vivo.
- In antibody-positive first-degree relatives of patients with type 1 diabetes, HLA-A*24 and HLA-B*18, but not HLA-B*39, are predictors of impending diabetes with distinct HLA-DQ interactions.
- Time Trends and Gender Differences in Incidence and Prevalence of Type 1 Diabetes In Sweden.
29 May 2013
- Recovery from Overt Type 1 Diabetes Ensues When Immune Tolerance and beta Cell Formation Are Coupled with Regeneration of Endothelial Cells in the Pancreatic Islets.
- Increased Brain Lactate Concentrations without Increased Lactate Oxidation during Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetic Individuals.
- The Missing Heritability in T1D and Potential New Targets for Prevention. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Extended family history of autoimmune diseases and phenotype and genotype of children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
- Genetically Engineered Human Islets Protected From CD8-mediated Autoimmune Destruction In Vivo.
- Vitamin D levels during and after resolution of ketoacidosis in children with new onset Type 1 diabetes.
22 May 2013
- Serum concentrations of transforming growth factor-Beta 1 in predicting the occurrence of diabetic retinopathy in juvenile patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Hyperglycemia promotes myelopoiesis and impairs the resolution of atherosclerosis.
- Treatment of Diabetes and Diabetic Complications With a Ketogenic Diet.
- Calorimetric analysis of the plasma proteome: Identification of type 1 diabetes patients with early renal function decline.
- Renal Lesions Predict Progression of Diabetic Nephropathy in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Relation Between Ljungan Virus Antibodies, HLA-DQ8, and Insulin Autoantibodies in Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes Children. See also Ljungan virus is endemic in rodents in the UK.
- B Lymphocyte "Original Sin" in the Bone Marrow Enhances Islet Autoreactivity in Type 1 Diabetes-Prone Nonobese Diabetic Mice.
- Status and trends of diabetes in Chinese children: analysis of data from 14 medical centers.
- Rodent models for investigating the dysregulation of immune responses in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
8 May 2013
- The Ghrelin Agonist RM-131 Accelerates Gastric Emptying of Solids and Reduces Symptoms in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Injectable Nano-Network for Glucose-Mediated Insulin Delivery. See also ‘Smart’ Nanoparticles Can Now Control Blood Sugar in Diabetics for ‘Days at a Time’ and Injectable Nano-Network Controls Blood Sugar in Diabetics for Days at a Time.
- Enhancement of In Vitro and In Vivo Function of Agarose Encapsulated Porcine Islets by Changes in the Islet Microenvironment.
- Low C-peptide levels and decreased expression of TNF and CD45 in children with high risk of type 1 diabetes.
- The influence of exposure to maternal diabetes in utero on the rate of decline in beta-cell function among youth with diabetes.
- No Link Found Between Viral Infection and Rapidly Developing Type 1 Diabetes in Young Children. See also TEDDY Fails to Find Viral Trigger for Type 1 Diabetes (Free Medscape membership required).
1 May 2013
- Autologous Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Infusion Followed by Oral Docosahexanoic Acid (DHA) and Vitamin D (VitD) Supplementation for C-Peptide Preservation in Children with Type 1 Diabetes (T1D).
- The Expression of Inflammatory Genes Is Upregulated in Peripheral Blood of Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Improvement in beta-Cell Secretory Capacity Following Human Islet Transplantation According to the CIT07 Protocol.
- Glucose-Reducing Effect of the ORMD-0801 Oral Insulin Preparation in Patients with Uncontrolled Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Study.
- Temporal Trends of HLA, CTLA-4 and PTPN22 Genotype Frequencies among Type 1 Diabetes in Continental Italy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Cord Serum Lipidome in Prediction of Islet Autoimmunity and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Gene expression analysis of human islets in a subject at onset of type 1 diabetes.
- Prevalence of monogenic diabetes in the population-based Norwegian Childhood Diabetes Registry.
24 April 2013
- A review of artificial pancreas technologies with an emphasis on bi-hormonal therapy.
- Ranibizumab for edema of the macula in diabetes study: 3-year outcomes and the need for prolonged frequent treatment.
- Glucose-Reducing Effect of the ORMD-0801 Oral Insulin Preparation in Patients with Uncontrolled Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
17 April 2013
- Feasibility of Adjacent Insulin Infusion and Continuous Glucose Monitoring via the Medtronic Combo-Set.
- The Effects of Inpatient Hybrid Closed-Loop Therapy Initiated Within 1 Week of Type 1 Diabetes Diagnosis Diabetes Research in Children Network (DirecNet) and Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Study Groups.
- Model-Based Sensor-Augmented Pump Therapy.
- Stable liquid glucagon formulations for rescue treatment and bi-hormonal closed-loop pancreas.
- How do childhood diagnoses of type 1 diabetes cluster in time? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The role of vitamin d deficiency in the incidence, progression, and complications of type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Stem Cell Therapy to Cure Type 1 Diabetes: From Hype to Hope.
- Genetically reprogrammed, liver-derived insulin-producing cells are glucose-responsive, but susceptible to autoimmune destruction in settings of murine model of type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Influence of Erythropoietin on Cognitive Performance during Experimental Hypoglycemia in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Randomized Cross-Over Trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The role of leptin in the control of insulin-glucose axis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF (via link) formats.
10 April 2013
- Family psychological stress early in life and development of type 1 diabetes: The ABIS prospective study.
- Enteroviral pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes: queries and answers.
- Interleukin-1 antagonism in type 1 diabetes of recent onset: two multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials.
- Multivariable Adaptive Closed-Loop Control of an Artificial Pancreas Without Meal and Activity Announcement.
- Generation of islet-like cells from mouse gall bladder by direct ex vivo reprogramming.
- Alteration of the thymic T cell repertoire by rotavirus infection is associated with delayed type 1 diabetes development in non-obese diabetic mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Immunotherapy with Tolerogenic Dendritic Cells Alone or in Combination with Rapamycin Does Not Reverse Diabetes in NOD Mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
3 April 2013
- Characteristics of rapid vs slow progression to type 1 diabetes in multiple islet autoantibody-positive children.
27 March 2013
- Faster pharmacokinetics and increased patient acceptance of intradermal insulin delivery using a single hollow microneedle in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Circulating Vitamin D Metabolites and Subclinical Atherosclerosis in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Positron emission tomography measured cerebral blood flow and glucose metabolism are decreased in human type 1 diabetes.
- Protein intake in relation to risk of hypertension and microalbuminuria in patients with type 1 diabetes: the EURODIAB Prospective Complications Study.
- Baseline Markers of Inflammation Are Associated With Progression to Macroalbuminuria in Type 1 Diabetic Subjects.
- Factors associated with the presence of glutamic acid decarboxylase and islet antigen-2 autoantibodies in patients with long-standing type 1 diabetes.
- Marked Expansion of Exocrine and Endocrine Pancreas with Incretin Therapy in Humans with increased Exocrine Pancreas Dysplasia and the potential for Glucagon-producing Neuroendocrine Tumors.
20 March 2013
- Population-based Survey of the Prevalence of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in School Children in Philadelphia.
- Addition of exenatide or sitagliptin to insulin in new onset type 1 diabetes: A randomized, open label study.
- Association of the incidence of type 1 diabetes with markers of infection and antibiotic susceptibility at country level. See also Global Rise in Type 1 Diabetes May Be Linked to Reduced Exposure to Pathogens in Early Life.
- Fasting and meal-stimulated residual beta cell function is positively associated with serum concentrations of proinflammatory cytokines and negatively associated with anti-inflammatory and regulatory cytokines in patients with longer term type 1 diabetes.
- Induced autologous stem cell transplantation for treatment of rabbit type 1 diabetes.
- Long-term bisphenol A exposure accelerates insulitis development in diabetes-prone NOD mice.
13 March 2013
- Can C-peptide mediated anti-inflammatory effects retard the development of microvascular complications of type 1 diabetes?
- In type 1 diabetes a subset of anti-coxsackievirus b4 antibodies recognize autoantigens and induce apoptosis of pancreatic Beta cells. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (link on HTML full text page).
- Maintaining functional islets through encapsulation in an injectable saccharide-peptide hydrogel.
- The Association between IgG4 Antibodies to Dietary Factors, Islet Autoimmunity and Type 1 Diabetes: The Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (link on HTML full text page).
- Glucose tolerance and beta-cell function in islet autoantibody-positive children recruited to a secondary prevention study.
6 March 2013
- Nocturnal Glucose Control with an Artificial Pancreas at a Diabetes Camp. See also Artificial Pancreas Worked Overnight on Kids With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Overnight automated type 1 diabetes control under MD-logic closed-loop system: a randomized crossover trial.
- Does farm environment protect against type 1 diabetes mellitus? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Identification of a SIRT1 Mutation in a Family with Type 1 Diabetes. See also First single gene mutation shown to result in type 1 diabetes and First Single Gene Mutation Shown to Result in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Treatment of diabetes mellitus with microencapsulated fetal human liver (FH-B-TPN) engineered cells.
- The Relationship of Sugar to Population-Level Diabetes Prevalence: An Econometric Analysis of Repeated Cross-Sectional Data explores the impact of exposure to sugar on the risk of type 2 diabetes -- still quite relevant to anyone with type 1 diabetes. See also Study: Sugar — Not Obesity — Causes Diabetes and Sugar In Diet Linked To Type 2 Diabetes Rates, Study Finds.
- The Diabetes Research Institute announced the DRI BioHub, an artificial organ platform designed to protect islets and provide euglycemia without whole-body immunosuppression, as is required by traditional islet transplants. This announcement of this effort generated heated discussion throughout the online community, not all of it positive. For more, see the following:
- This Could Be It.... What We Have Been Waiting For Since Diagnosis!!!!
- A Message from Diabetes Dad.
- Could it be....
- New DRI Mini ‘BioHub’ Organ Would Mimic a Healthy Pancreas.
- Hope without hype is all we ask (the one when I wish it started differently).
- Don’t Believe the Hype.
- News from the DRI.
- Our Community.
- My Take on the Hub-bub About the Bio Hub.
- Empathy. Honoring struggle without trite solutions.
- Meanwhile, In Other News....
27 February 2013
- Gut microbiota in children with type 1 diabetes differs from that in healthy children: a case-control study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Revisiting the notion of type 1 diabetes being a T-cell-mediated autoimmune disease.
- Immune Therapy and beta-Cell Death in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Reactivation of latent viruses in individuals receiving rituximab for new onset type 1 diabetes.
- Proinsulin/Insulin Autoantibodies Measured With Electrochemiluminescent Assay Are the Earliest Indicator of Prediabetic Islet Autoimmunity .
- More people needed for type 1 diabetes vaccine study.
20 February 2013
- Allogeneic Bone Marrow Cocultured With Human Islets Significantly Improves Islet Survival and Function In Vivo.
- Human milk can neutralize Coxsackievirus B4 in vitro.
- Promotion of Autoimmune Diabetes by Cereal Diet in the Presence or Absence of Microbes Associated With Gut Immune Activation, Regulatory Imbalance, and Altered Cathelicidin Antimicrobial Peptide.
13 February 2013
- Treatment of Diabetes and Long-term Survival Following Insulin and Glucokinase Gene Therapy. See also UAB researchers cure type 1 diabetes in dogs, Type 1 Diabetes Cured In Dogs, and Type 1 Diabetes Cured in Dogs, Study Suggests.
- Differences in glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in vitro of islets from human, nonhuman primate, and porcine origin.
- Efficacy and Safety of Insulin Degludec in a Flexible Dosing Regimen vs Insulin Glargine in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes (BEGIN: Flex T1): A 26-Week Randomized, Treat-to-Target Trial With a 26-Week Extension.
- Evidence of Association between Type 1 Diabetes and Exposure to Enterovirus in Cuban Children and Adolescents. Free full text available in PDF format.
- A randomized placebo-controlled trial of alphacalcidol on the preservation of beta cell function in children with recent onset type 1 diabetes.
6 February 2013
- Glucose-responsive insulin and glucagon delivery (dual-hormone artificial pancreas) in adults with type 1 diabetes: a randomized crossover controlled trial. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Preclinical Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels and Risk of Type 1 Diabetes in a Cohort of US Military Personnel. See also ‘Sunshine vitamin’ looks a little brighter.
- HLA Class I and II Alleles are Associated with Microvascular Complications of Type 1 Diabetes.
- PDX1-engineered embryonic stem cell-derived insulin producing cells regulate hyperglycemia in diabetic mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
30 January 2013
- Glucose-responsive insulin and glucagon delivery (dual-hormone artificial pancreas) in adults with type 1 diabetes: a randomized crossover controlled trial. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Artificial pancreas: the way of the future for treating type 1 diabetes.
- Promotion of autoimmune diabetes by cereal diet in the presence or absence of microbes associated with gut immune activation, regulatory imbalance and altered cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide .
- Verification of Skin Autofluorescence Values by Mass Spectrometry in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: Brief Report.
- Previous maternal infection protects offspring from enterovirus infection and prevents experimental diabetes development in mice.
23 January 2013
- Increasing Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes in Youth - Twenty years of the Philadelphia Pediatric Diabetes Registry. See also Type 1 Diabetes in Urban Children Skyrockets.
- Prophylactic and Antinociceptive Effects of Coenzyme Q10 on Diabetic Neuropathic Pain in a Mouse Model of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Endothelial Progenitor Cells Are Related to Glycemic Control in Children With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Over Time.
- Macro- or microencapsulation of pig islets to cure type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Hygiene Theory Harnessing Helminths and Their Ova to Treat Autoimmunity.
- Sex Differences in the Gut Microbiome Drive Hormone-Dependent Regulation of Autoimmunity. See also Transplanted Gut Bugs Protect Mice from Diabetes and Good Bacteria in the Intestine Prevent Diabetes, Study Suggests.
16 January 2013
- The role of the intestinal microbiota in type 1 diabetes.
- Reduction of Number and Duration of Hypoglycemic Events by Glucose Prediction Methods: A Proof-of-Concept In Silico Study.
- Hypoglycemia-related electroencephalogram changes are independent of gender, age, duration of diabetes, and awareness status in type 1 diabetes.
- Use of an intravascular fluorescent continuous glucose sensor in subjects with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Neurovascular dysfunction precedes neural dysfunction in the retina of patients with type 1 diabetess.
- Cross-Sectional Evaluation of Noninvasively Detected Skin Intrinsic Fluorescence and Mean Hemoglobin A1c in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Comparison of annual variability in HbA1c and glycated albumin in patients with type 1 vs. type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Patients with type 1 diabetes exhibit altered cerebral metabolism during hypoglycemia.
9 January 2013
- Helminth mediated modulation of Type 1 diabetes (T1D).
- C-peptide in diabetes diagnosis and therapy.
- Cell-based interventions to halt autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Long term reversal of diabetes in non obese diabetic mice by liver-directed gene therapy.
- Influence of the vitamin D plasma level and vitamin D-related genetic polymorphisms on the immune status of patients with type 1 diabetes: a pilot study.
2 January 2013
- Fecal Microbiota Composition Differs Between Children With beta-Cell Autoimmunity and Those Without. See also Could prebiotics or probiotics cure type 1 diabetes?
- The Effects of n-3 Long-Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Supplementation on Biomarkers of Kidney Injury in Adults With Diabetes.
- The age of onset of diabetes and glutamic acid decarboxylase titer measured long after diagnosis are associated with the clinical stage of slow-onset type 1 diabetes.
[ Current Research News | News from 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Tuesday January 12, 2016 15:22:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.