Research News From 2013
22 May 2013
- Serum concentrations of transforming growth factor-Beta 1 in predicting the occurrence of diabetic retinopathy in juvenile patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Hyperglycemia promotes myelopoiesis and impairs the resolution of atherosclerosis.
- Treatment of Diabetes and Diabetic Complications With a Ketogenic Diet.
- Calorimetric analysis of the plasma proteome: Identification of type 1 diabetes patients with early renal function decline.
- Renal Lesions Predict Progression of Diabetic Nephropathy in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Relation Between Ljungan Virus Antibodies, HLA-DQ8, and Insulin Autoantibodies in Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes Children. See also Ljungan virus is endemic in rodents in the UK.
- B Lymphocyte "Original Sin" in the Bone Marrow Enhances Islet Autoreactivity in Type 1 Diabetes-Prone Nonobese Diabetic Mice.
- Status and trends of diabetes in Chinese children: analysis of data from 14 medical centers.
- Rodent models for investigating the dysregulation of immune responses in type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
8 May 2013
- The Ghrelin Agonist RM-131 Accelerates Gastric Emptying of Solids and Reduces Symptoms in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Injectable Nano-Network for Glucose-Mediated Insulin Delivery. See also ‘Smart’ Nanoparticles Can Now Control Blood Sugar in Diabetics for ‘Days at a Time’ and Injectable Nano-Network Controls Blood Sugar in Diabetics for Days at a Time.
- Enhancement of In Vitro and In Vivo Function of Agarose Encapsulated Porcine Islets by Changes in the Islet Microenvironment.
- Low C-peptide levels and decreased expression of TNF and CD45 in children with high risk of type 1 diabetes.
- The influence of exposure to maternal diabetes in utero on the rate of decline in beta-cell function among youth with diabetes.
- No Link Found Between Viral Infection and Rapidly Developing Type 1 Diabetes in Young Children. See also TEDDY Fails to Find Viral Trigger for Type 1 Diabetes (Free Medscape membership required).
1 May 2013
- Autologous Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Infusion Followed by Oral Docosahexanoic Acid (DHA) and Vitamin D (VitD) Supplementation for C-Peptide Preservation in Children with Type 1 Diabetes (T1D).
- The Expression of Inflammatory Genes Is Upregulated in Peripheral Blood of Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Improvement in beta-Cell Secretory Capacity Following Human Islet Transplantation According to the CIT07 Protocol.
- Glucose-Reducing Effect of the ORMD-0801 Oral Insulin Preparation in Patients with Uncontrolled Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Study.
- Temporal Trends of HLA, CTLA-4 and PTPN22 Genotype Frequencies among Type 1 Diabetes in Continental Italy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Cord Serum Lipidome in Prediction of Islet Autoimmunity and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Gene expression analysis of human islets in a subject at onset of type 1 diabetes.
- Prevalence of monogenic diabetes in the population-based Norwegian Childhood Diabetes Registry.
24 April 2013
- A review of artificial pancreas technologies with an emphasis on bi-hormonal therapy.
- Ranibizumab for edema of the macula in diabetes study: 3-year outcomes and the need for prolonged frequent treatment.
- Glucose-Reducing Effect of the ORMD-0801 Oral Insulin Preparation in Patients with Uncontrolled Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
17 April 2013
- Feasibility of Adjacent Insulin Infusion and Continuous Glucose Monitoring via the Medtronic Combo-Set.
- The Effects of Inpatient Hybrid Closed-Loop Therapy Initiated Within 1 Week of Type 1 Diabetes Diagnosis Diabetes Research in Children Network (DirecNet) and Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Study Groups.
- Model-Based Sensor-Augmented Pump Therapy.
- Stable liquid glucagon formulations for rescue treatment and bi-hormonal closed-loop pancreas.
- How do childhood diagnoses of type 1 diabetes cluster in time? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The role of vitamin d deficiency in the incidence, progression, and complications of type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Stem Cell Therapy to Cure Type 1 Diabetes: From Hype to Hope.
- Genetically reprogrammed, liver-derived insulin-producing cells are glucose-responsive, but susceptible to autoimmune destruction in settings of murine model of type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Influence of Erythropoietin on Cognitive Performance during Experimental Hypoglycemia in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Randomized Cross-Over Trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The role of leptin in the control of insulin-glucose axis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF (via link) formats.
10 April 2013
- Family psychological stress early in life and development of type 1 diabetes: The ABIS prospective study.
- Enteroviral pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes: queries and answers.
- Interleukin-1 antagonism in type 1 diabetes of recent onset: two multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials.
- Multivariable Adaptive Closed-Loop Control of an Artificial Pancreas Without Meal and Activity Announcement.
- Generation of islet-like cells from mouse gall bladder by direct ex vivo reprogramming.
- Alteration of the thymic T cell repertoire by rotavirus infection is associated with delayed type 1 diabetes development in non-obese diabetic mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Immunotherapy with Tolerogenic Dendritic Cells Alone or in Combination with Rapamycin Does Not Reverse Diabetes in NOD Mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
3 April 2013
- Characteristics of rapid vs slow progression to type 1 diabetes in multiple islet autoantibody-positive children.
27 March 2013
- Faster pharmacokinetics and increased patient acceptance of intradermal insulin delivery using a single hollow microneedle in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Circulating Vitamin D Metabolites and Subclinical Atherosclerosis in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Positron emission tomography measured cerebral blood flow and glucose metabolism are decreased in human type 1 diabetes.
- Protein intake in relation to risk of hypertension and microalbuminuria in patients with type 1 diabetes: the EURODIAB Prospective Complications Study.
- Baseline Markers of Inflammation Are Associated With Progression to Macroalbuminuria in Type 1 Diabetic Subjects.
- Factors associated with the presence of glutamic acid decarboxylase and islet antigen-2 autoantibodies in patients with long-standing type 1 diabetes.
- Marked Expansion of Exocrine and Endocrine Pancreas with Incretin Therapy in Humans with increased Exocrine Pancreas Dysplasia and the potential for Glucagon-producing Neuroendocrine Tumors.
20 March 2013
- Population-based Survey of the Prevalence of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in School Children in Philadelphia.
- Addition of exenatide or sitagliptin to insulin in new onset type 1 diabetes: A randomized, open label study.
- Association of the incidence of type 1 diabetes with markers of infection and antibiotic susceptibility at country level. See also Global Rise in Type 1 Diabetes May Be Linked to Reduced Exposure to Pathogens in Early Life.
- Fasting and meal-stimulated residual beta cell function is positively associated with serum concentrations of proinflammatory cytokines and negatively associated with anti-inflammatory and regulatory cytokines in patients with longer term type 1 diabetes.
- Induced autologous stem cell transplantation for treatment of rabbit type 1 diabetes.
- Long-term bisphenol A exposure accelerates insulitis development in diabetes-prone NOD mice.
13 March 2013
- Can C-peptide mediated anti-inflammatory effects retard the development of microvascular complications of type 1 diabetes?
- In type 1 diabetes a subset of anti-coxsackievirus b4 antibodies recognize autoantigens and induce apoptosis of pancreatic Beta cells. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (link on HTML full text page).
- Maintaining functional islets through encapsulation in an injectable saccharide-peptide hydrogel.
- The Association between IgG4 Antibodies to Dietary Factors, Islet Autoimmunity and Type 1 Diabetes: The Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (link on HTML full text page).
- Glucose tolerance and beta-cell function in islet autoantibody-positive children recruited to a secondary prevention study.
6 March 2013
- Nocturnal Glucose Control with an Artificial Pancreas at a Diabetes Camp. See also Artificial Pancreas Worked Overnight on Kids With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Overnight automated type 1 diabetes control under MD-logic closed-loop system: a randomized crossover trial.
- Does farm environment protect against type 1 diabetes mellitus? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Identification of a SIRT1 Mutation in a Family with Type 1 Diabetes. See also First single gene mutation shown to result in type 1 diabetes and First Single Gene Mutation Shown to Result in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Treatment of diabetes mellitus with microencapsulated fetal human liver (FH-B-TPN) engineered cells.
- The Relationship of Sugar to Population-Level Diabetes Prevalence: An Econometric Analysis of Repeated Cross-Sectional Data explores the impact of exposure to sugar on the risk of type 2 diabetes -- still quite relevant to anyone with type 1 diabetes. See also Study: Sugar — Not Obesity — Causes Diabetes and Sugar In Diet Linked To Type 2 Diabetes Rates, Study Finds.
- The Diabetes Research Institute announced the DRI BioHub, an artificial organ platform designed to protect islets and provide euglycemia without whole-body immunosuppression, as is required by traditional islet transplants. This announcement of this effort generated heated discussion throughout the online community, not all of it positive. For more, see the following:
- This Could Be It.... What We Have Been Waiting For Since Diagnosis!!!!
- A Message from Diabetes Dad.
- Could it be....
- New DRI Mini ‘BioHub’ Organ Would Mimic a Healthy Pancreas.
- Hope without hype is all we ask (the one when I wish it started differently).
- Don’t Believe the Hype.
- News from the DRI.
- Our Community.
- My Take on the Hub-bub About the Bio Hub.
- Empathy. Honoring struggle without trite solutions.
- Meanwhile, In Other News....
27 February 2013
- Gut microbiota in children with type 1 diabetes differs from that in healthy children: a case-control study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Revisiting the notion of type 1 diabetes being a T-cell-mediated autoimmune disease.
- Immune Therapy and beta-Cell Death in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Reactivation of latent viruses in individuals receiving rituximab for new onset type 1 diabetes.
- Proinsulin/Insulin Autoantibodies Measured With Electrochemiluminescent Assay Are the Earliest Indicator of Prediabetic Islet Autoimmunity .
- More people needed for type 1 diabetes vaccine study.
20 February 2013
- Allogeneic Bone Marrow Cocultured With Human Islets Significantly Improves Islet Survival and Function In Vivo.
- Human milk can neutralize Coxsackievirus B4 in vitro.
- Promotion of Autoimmune Diabetes by Cereal Diet in the Presence or Absence of Microbes Associated With Gut Immune Activation, Regulatory Imbalance, and Altered Cathelicidin Antimicrobial Peptide.
13 February 2013
- Treatment of Diabetes and Long-term Survival Following Insulin and Glucokinase Gene Therapy. See also UAB researchers cure type 1 diabetes in dogs, Type 1 Diabetes Cured In Dogs, and Type 1 Diabetes Cured in Dogs, Study Suggests.
- Differences in glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in vitro of islets from human, nonhuman primate, and porcine origin.
- Efficacy and Safety of Insulin Degludec in a Flexible Dosing Regimen vs Insulin Glargine in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes (BEGIN: Flex T1): A 26-Week Randomized, Treat-to-Target Trial With a 26-Week Extension.
- Evidence of Association between Type 1 Diabetes and Exposure to Enterovirus in Cuban Children and Adolescents. Free full text available in PDF format.
- A randomized placebo-controlled trial of alphacalcidol on the preservation of beta cell function in children with recent onset type 1 diabetes.
6 February 2013
- Glucose-responsive insulin and glucagon delivery (dual-hormone artificial pancreas) in adults with type 1 diabetes: a randomized crossover controlled trial. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Preclinical Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels and Risk of Type 1 Diabetes in a Cohort of US Military Personnel. See also ‘Sunshine vitamin’ looks a little brighter.
- HLA Class I and II Alleles are Associated with Microvascular Complications of Type 1 Diabetes.
- PDX1-engineered embryonic stem cell-derived insulin producing cells regulate hyperglycemia in diabetic mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
30 January 2013
- Glucose-responsive insulin and glucagon delivery (dual-hormone artificial pancreas) in adults with type 1 diabetes: a randomized crossover controlled trial. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Artificial pancreas: the way of the future for treating type 1 diabetes.
- Promotion of autoimmune diabetes by cereal diet in the presence or absence of microbes associated with gut immune activation, regulatory imbalance and altered cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide .
- Verification of Skin Autofluorescence Values by Mass Spectrometry in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: Brief Report.
- Previous maternal infection protects offspring from enterovirus infection and prevents experimental diabetes development in mice.
23 January 2013
- Increasing Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes in Youth - Twenty years of the Philadelphia Pediatric Diabetes Registry. See also Type 1 Diabetes in Urban Children Skyrockets.
- Prophylactic and Antinociceptive Effects of Coenzyme Q10 on Diabetic Neuropathic Pain in a Mouse Model of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Endothelial Progenitor Cells Are Related to Glycemic Control in Children With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Over Time.
- Macro- or microencapsulation of pig islets to cure type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Hygiene Theory Harnessing Helminths and Their Ova to Treat Autoimmunity.
- Sex Differences in the Gut Microbiome Drive Hormone-Dependent Regulation of Autoimmunity. See also Transplanted Gut Bugs Protect Mice from Diabetes and Good Bacteria in the Intestine Prevent Diabetes, Study Suggests.
16 January 2013
- The role of the intestinal microbiota in type 1 diabetes.
- Reduction of Number and Duration of Hypoglycemic Events by Glucose Prediction Methods: A Proof-of-Concept In Silico Study.
- Hypoglycemia-related electroencephalogram changes are independent of gender, age, duration of diabetes, and awareness status in type 1 diabetes.
- Use of an intravascular fluorescent continuous glucose sensor in subjects with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Neurovascular dysfunction precedes neural dysfunction in the retina of patients with type 1 diabetess.
- Cross-Sectional Evaluation of Noninvasively Detected Skin Intrinsic Fluorescence and Mean Hemoglobin A1c in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Comparison of annual variability in HbA1c and glycated albumin in patients with type 1 vs. type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Patients with type 1 diabetes exhibit altered cerebral metabolism during hypoglycemia.
9 January 2013
- Helminth mediated modulation of Type 1 diabetes (T1D).
- C-peptide in diabetes diagnosis and therapy.
- Cell-based interventions to halt autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Long term reversal of diabetes in non obese diabetic mice by liver-directed gene therapy.
- Influence of the vitamin D plasma level and vitamin D-related genetic polymorphisms on the immune status of patients with type 1 diabetes: a pilot study.
2 January 2013
- Fecal Microbiota Composition Differs Between Children With beta-Cell Autoimmunity and Those Without. See also Could prebiotics or probiotics cure type 1 diabetes?
- The Effects of n-3 Long-Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Supplementation on Biomarkers of Kidney Injury in Adults With Diabetes.
- The age of onset of diabetes and glutamic acid decarboxylase titer measured long after diagnosis are associated with the clinical stage of slow-onset type 1 diabetes.
[ Current Research News | News from 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Wednesday May 22, 2013 14:36:11
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.