Research News From 2014
31 December 2014
- Bacteroides dorei dominates gut microbiome prior to autoimmunity in Finnish children at high risk for type 1 diabetes.
- The influence of glucagon on postprandial hyperglycaemia in children 5 years after onset of type 1 diabetes.
- Trends in Childhood Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Incidence in Beijing from 1995 to 2010: A Retrospective Multicenter Study Based on Hospitalization Data.
- Tolerance Induction and Reversal of Diabetes in Mice Transplanted with Human Embryonic-Stem-Cell-Derived Pancreatic Endoderm.
24 December 2014
- Most People With Long-Duration Type 1 Diabetes in a Large Population-Based Study Are Insulin Microsecretors. See also One in Every Three People with Type 1 Diabetes Produces Insulin Years Post-Diagnosis Largest Study to Date of Residual Insulin Production Proves Such Patients Are Not 'Exceptional'; Major Clinical and Health Policy Implications.
- Prevalence of Detectable C-peptide According to Age at Diagnosis and Duration of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Anti-thymocyte globulin/G-CSF treatment preserves beta cell function in patients with established type 1 diabetes.
- Early Childhood Gut Microbiomes Show Strong Geographic Differences Among Subjects at High Risk for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Autoantibody-defined risk for Type 1 diabetes mellitus in a general population of schoolchildren: results of the Karlsburg Type 1 Diabetes Risk Study after 18 years.
- A New Approach for Diagnosing Type 1 Diabetes in Autoantibody-Positive Individuals Based on Prediction and Natural History.
- HbA1c Predicts Time to Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes in Children at Risk.
- Feasibility of overnight closed-loop therapy in young children with type 1 diabetes aged 3-6 years: comparison between diluted and standard insulin strength. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Effects of vitamin D repletion on glycemic control and inflammatory cytokines in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Circadian Variability of Insulin Sensitivity: Physiological Input for In Silico Artificial Pancreas.
- Residual beta-cell function and the insulin-like growth factor system in Danish children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Restoration of Glucose Counterregulation by Islet Transplantation in Long-Standing Type 1 Diabetes.
- Incidence of End Stage Renal Disease among Type 1 Diabetes: A Nationwide Cohort Study in Taiwan.
- Artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance by altering the gut microbiota.
17 December 2014
- Unsupervised home use of overnight closed-loop system over 3 to 4 weeks - Pooled analysis of randomized controlled studies in adults and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Longitudinal Assessment of Neuroanatomical and Cognitive Differences in Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes: Association with Hyperglycemia.
- Is There a Link Between Liraglutide and Pancreatitis? A Post Hoc Review of Pooled and Patient-Level Data From Completed Liraglutide Type 2 Diabetes Clinical Trial.
- Reduced Ki67 staining in the postmortem state calls into question past conclusions about the lack of turnover of adult human beta cells.
10 December 2014
- 'Diabetes: a cure at last' or just hype?
- Closing the loop overnight at home setting: psychosocial impact for adolescents with type 1 diabetes and their parents. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 inhibition and the potential for renal protection in diabetic nephropathy.
3 December 2014
- Comparison of dual-hormone artificial pancreas, single-hormone artificial pancreas, and conventional insulin pump therapy for glycaemic control in patients with type 1 diabetes: an open-label randomised controlled crossover trial.
- Assessing Sensor Accuracy for Non-Adjunct Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
- Cesarean Section and Chronic Immune Disorders.
- Enterovirus persistence as a mechanism in the pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes.
- Enteroviruses, hygiene and type 1 diabetes: toward a preventive vaccine.
- Comparison of breath gases, including acetone, with blood glucose and blood ketones in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
26 November 2014
- Infant Feeding in Relation to Islet Autoimmunity and Type 1 Diabetes in Genetically Susceptible Children: The MIDIA Study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Demonstration of an Intrinsic Relationship Between Endogenous C-peptide Concentration and Determinants of Glycemic Control in Type 1 Diabetes Following Islet Transplantation. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Detection of a low-grade enteroviral infection in the islets of Langerhans of living patients newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.
- Islet autoantibody status in a multi-ethnic UK clinic cohort of children presenting with diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A Modified Method of Insulin Producing Cells' Generation from Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Economic Burden of Elevated Blood Glucose Levels in 2012: Diagnosed and Undiagnosed Diabetes, Gestational Diabetes Mellitus, and Prediabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also What Diabetes Costs You, Even If You Don't Have The Disease.
19 November 2014
- Nonhuman Primate Models of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus for Islet Transplantation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- NGAL and cystatin C: two possible early markers of diabetic nephropathy in young patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: one year follow up.
- The gut microbiota modulates glycaemic control and serum metabolite profiles in non-obese diabetic mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
12 November 2014
- Increasing trends in the incidence and prevalence rates of type 1 diabetes among children and adolescents in the Netherlands.
- Incidence of type 1 diabetes among Polish children ages 0-14 years from 1989-2012.
- A preclinical study on the efficacy and safety of a new vaccine against Coxsackievirus B1 reveals no risk for accelerated diabetes development in mouse models.
- A Method for Gene-Based Pathway Analysis Using Genomewide Association Study Summary Statistics Reveals Nine New Type 1 Diabetes Associations.
5 November 2014
- Major Advance for Diabetes Stem Cell Therapy?
- Use of an artificial pancreas among adolescents for a missed snack bolus and an underestimated meal bolus.
- cprThe FGF21 analogue, LY2405319, lowers blood glucose in streptozotocin-induced insulin-deficient diabetic mice by restoring brown adipose tissue function.
- Docosahexaenoic acid has an anti-diabetic effect in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
29 October 2014
- The Betatrophin Blues.
- One year remission of type 1 diabetes mellitus in a patient treated with sitagliptin. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Increased Immune Cell Infiltration of the Exocrine Pancreas: A Possible Contribution to the Pathogenesis of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Losing a Grip on the Notion of β-Cell Specificity for Immune Responses in Type 1 Diabetes: Can We Handle the Truth? Free full text available in PDF format.
- Enterovirus infection is associated with an increased risk of childhood type 1 diabetes in Taiwan: a nationwide population-based cohort study.
- Type 1 Diabetes Surges In White Kids.
22 October 2014
- A Novel Method to Detect Pressure-Induced Sensor Attenuations (PISA) in an Artificial Pancreas.
- Seasonal variation in month of diagnosis in children with type 1 diabetes registered in 23 European centers during 1989-2008: little short-term influence of sunshine hours or average temperature.
- The Raikas - a unique combination of high prevalence of type 1 diabetes susceptibility genes and near zero incidence of the disease.
- Prognostic value of endothelial dysfunction in type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Do We Need Worms to Promote Immune Health?
15 October 2014
- Generation of Functional Human Pancreatic β Cells In Vitro. See also From stem cells to billions of human insulin-producing cells and Scientist hopes stem cells will lead to diabetes cure.
- FOXO1 inhibition yields functional insulin-producing cells in human gut organoid cultures. See also It May Take Guts to Cure Diabetes.
- Time Lag of Glucose From Intravascular to Interstitial Compartment in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Absence of Glucagon and Insulin Action Reveals a Role for the Glucagon-like Peptide-1 Receptor in Endogenous Glucose Production.
- Estimated insulin sensitivity predicts regression of albuminuria in Type 1 diabetes.
- Life expectancy of people with type 1 diabetes in the past and today.
8 October 2014
- Antibodies to islet cell autoantigens, rotaviruses and/or enteroviruses in cord blood and healthy mothers in relation to the 2010-2011 winter viral seasons in Israel: a pilot study. See also Viral Infection May Trigger Childhood Diabetes in Utero.
- Design and in silico evaluation of an intraperitoneal-subcutaneous (IP-SC) artificial pancreas.
- Does Insulin Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Protect Against Alzheimer's Disease?
- Microneedles for Drug Delivery via the Gastrointestinal Tract. Full text PDF available via link. See also New drug-delivery capsule may replace injections.
- Clinical and molecular characterization of maturity onset-diabetes of the young caused by hepatocyte nuclear factor-4 alpha mutation: red flags for prediction of the diagnosis.
1 October 2014
- Exploring the Potential of the SGLT2 Inhibitor Dapagliflozin in Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study.
- Inpatient Trial of an Artificial Pancreas Based on Multiple Model Probabilistic Predictive Control with Repeated Large Unannounced Meals.
- Factors affecting the success of glucagon delivered during an automated closed-loop system in type 1 diabetes.
- A Novel, Stable, Aqueous Glucagon Formulation Using Ferulic Acid as an Excipient.
- Obesity, islet cell autoimmunity and cardiovascular risk factors in youth at onset of type 1 autoimmune diabetes.
24 September 2014
- The Impact of Accelerometer Use in Exercise-Associated Hypoglycemia Prevention in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Occurrence of Increased Arterial Stiffness in a Cohort of Adult Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus When Compared to Normoglycemic Controls.
- Helminth Infections Decrease Host Susceptibility to Immune-Mediated Diseases. (See also Helminths in Wikipedia.)
- C-peptide replacement therapy as an emerging strategy for preventing diabetic vasculopathy.
- Probiotics Cut Autoimmunity 33% in Infants at Risk for Diabetes.
- Did you get the full story about artificial sweeteners and diabetes?
17 September 2014
- Reversal of diabetes with insulin-producing cells derived in vitro from human pluripotent stem cells.
- A Remote Monitoring System for Artificial Pancreas Support Is Safe, Reliable, and User Friendly.
- Poor Glycemic Control is Associated with Reduced Prostate-Specific Antigen Concentrations in Men with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Nine-year longitudinal study of cardiovascular risk factors in Spanish children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Polymorphism of the FTO Gene Influences Body Weight in Children with Type 1 Diabetes without Severe Obesity. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- New Insulin Glargine 300 units·mL−1 Provides a More Even Activity Profile and Prolonged Glycemic Control at Steady State Compared With Insulin Glargine 100 units·mL−1.
10 September 2014
- Assessing the effectiveness of 3 months day and night home closed-loop insulin delivery in adults with suboptimally controlled type 1 diabetes: a randomised crossover study protocol. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Multicenter Closed-Loop/Hybrid Meal Bolus Insulin Delivery with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effect of Intensive Diabetes Therapy on the Progression of Diabetic Retinopathy in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: 18 Years of Follow-up in the DCCT/EDIC.
- Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibition in Type 1 Diabetes: Simultaneous Glucose Lowering and Renal Protection?
- The Relative Effectiveness of Pumps Over MDI and Structured Education (REPOSE): study protocol for a cluster randomised controlled trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Preserved Beta-Cell Function in Type 1 Diabetes by Mesenchymal Stromal Cells.
- Hypoglycemic seizures and epilepsy in type I diabetes mellitus.
3 September 2014
- Can Executive Impairments be Precipitated by Excessive Glycemic Fluctuations in Early Onset Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus? A Case Study.
- Higher dietary salt intake is associated with microalbuminuria, but not with retinopathy in individuals with type 1 diabetes: the EURODIAB Prospective Complications Study.
27 August 2014
- Quantification of the Glycemic Response to Microdoses of Subcutaneous Glucagon at Varying Insulin Levels.
- Glucagon in the Artificial Pancreas: Supply and Marketing Challenges.
- New insulin glargine 300 U/mL provides a more even activity profile and prolonged glycemic control at steady state compared with insulin glargine 100 U/mL.
- End stage renal disease and survival in people with diabetes: a national database linkage study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Islet and Stem Cell Encapsulation for Clinical Transplantation.
- Lack of Evidence for a Role of Islet Autoimmunity in the Aetiology of Canine Diabetes Mellitus.
- In patients with type 1 diabetes simultaneous pancreas and kidney transplantation preserves long-term kidney graft ultrastructure and function better than transplantation of kidney alone.
20 August 2014
- Effect of Local Heating on Postprandial Blood Glucose Excursions Using the InsuPad Device: Results of an Outpatient Crossover Study.
- The prevalence of type 1 diabetes mellitus among 15-34-year-aged Lithuanian inhabitants during 1991-2010.
- Study of factors influencing susceptibility and age at onset of type 1 diabetes: A review of data from Continental Italy and Sardinia. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Long-term outcomes of clinical transplantation of pancreatic islets with uncontrolled donors after cardiac death: a multicenter experience in Japan.
- Distinct clinical and laboratory characteristics of latent autoimmune diabetes in adults in relation to type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Timing of complementary food introduction and age at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes: the SEARCH nutrition ancillary study (SNAS).
- The pathogenic mechanism of diabetes varies with the degree of overexpression and oligomerization of human amylin in the pancreatic islet β cells. See also Scientists show both types of diabetes are caused by same underlying mechanism.
13 August 2014
- Incidence and temporal trends of childhood type 1 diabetes between 1975 and 2012 in Navarre (Spain).
- Preliminary Evaluation of a New Semi-Closed-Loop Insulin Therapy System Over the Prandial Period in Adult Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: The WP6.0 Diabeloop Study.
- A CD40-targeted peptide controls and reverses type 1 diabetes in NOD mice.
6 August 2014
- MD-Logic Overnight Control for 6 Weeks of Home Use in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: Randomized Crossover Trial.
- Maternal anxiety about a child's diabetes risk in the TEDDY study: the potential role of life stress, postpartum depression, and risk perception.
- Incidence of type 1 diabetes mellitus in 0 to 14-yr-old children in Croatia - 2004 to 2012 study.
- Accuracy of a New Patch Pump Based on a Microelectromechanical System (MEMS) Compared to Other Commercially Available Insulin Pumps: Results of the First In Vitro and In Vivo Studies.
- Mode of Obstetrical Delivery and Type 1 Diabetes: A Sibling Design Study.
- Islet Transplantation at the Dresden Diabetes Center: Five Years' Experience.
- NIH Clinical Islet Transplantation Consortium Trial in T1D. See also Girl Power: Islet Transplants from Women Donors Work Better.
- The NIH has issued a grant request for Advanced Clinical Trials to test Artificial Pancreas Device Systems in Type 1 Diabetes.
30 July 2014
- Novel Insulin Delivery Profiles for Mixed Meals for Sensor-Augmented Pump and Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- An Increase in Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentrations Preceded a Plateau in Type 1 Diabetes Incidence in Finnish Children.
- Enterovirus RNA in longitudinal blood samples and risk of islet autoimmunity in children with a high genetic risk of type 1 diabetes: the MIDIA study.
- GLP-1 receptor activation modulates appetite- and reward-related brain areas in humans.
23 July 2014
- Early infant feeding and risk of developing islet autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes.
- A plasmonic chip for biomarker discovery and diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.
- Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation and conventional insulin therapy in the treatment of children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes: long term follow-up. Free full text available in HTML and PDF (via link) formats.
- Role of Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Analogue Versus Amylin as an Adjuvant Therapy in Type 1 Diabetes in a Closed Loop Setting With ePID Algorithm.
- The risk for diabetic nephropathy is low in young adults in a 17-year follow-up of the Diabetes Incidence Study in Sweden (DISS). Higher age and BMI at diabetes onset can be important risk factors.
- Effect of docosahexaenoic acid supplementation on inflammatory cytokine levels in infants at high genetic risk for type 1 diabetes.
16 July 2014
- Multicenter Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery Study Points to Challenges for Keeping Blood Glucose in a Safe Range by a Control Algorithm in Adults and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes from Various Sites.
- Low-Dose Otelixizumab Anti-CD3 Monoclonal Antibody DEFEND-1 Study: Results of the Randomized Phase III Study in Recent-Onset Human Type 1 Diabetes.
- Short-term effects of NPH insulin, insulin detemir and insulin glargine on the GH - IGF-I - IGFBP axis in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Changes in Glucose and Fat Metabolism in Response to the Administration of a Hepato-Preferential Insulin Analog.
- The effect of autoimmunity on the development time of microvascular complications in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
9 July 2014
- Combination therapy with sitagliptin and lansoprazole in patients with recent-onset type 1 diabetes (REPAIR-T1D): 12-month results of a multicentre, randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 2 trial.
- Targeted immune interventions for type 1 diabetes: not as easy as it looks!
- Neurocognitive Functioning in Children and Adolescents at the Time of Type 1 Diabetes Diagnosis: Associations With Glycemic Control 1 Year After Diagnosis.
- Do children with type 1 diabetes have a relation between adiponectin level and vascular complications?
- Skin Fibroblasts from Patients with Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) Can Be Chemically Transdifferentiated into Insulin-Expressing Clusters: A Transgene-Free Approach. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Biochemical Stabilization of Glucagon at Alkaline pH.
25 June 2014
- Is Type 1 Diabetes "Going Viral"? Free full text available in PDF format.
- Microbial Exposure in Infancy and Subsequent Appearance of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus–Associated Autoantibodies. See also Finnish study: Having a dog at home may prevent diabetes.
- Home use of closed-loop insulin delivery for overnight glucose control in adults with type 1 diabetes: a 4-week, multicentre, randomised crossover study.
- GAD autoantibody affinity in schoolchildren from the general population.
- Artificial pancreas: fuzzy logic and control of glycemia.
- Advanced Insulin Bolus Advisor based on Run-To-Run Control and Case-Based Reasoning.
- Gut microbiota, probiotics and diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
18 June 2014
- Outpatient Glycemic Control with a Bionic Pancreas in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Safety of Outpatient Closed-Loop Control: First Randomized Crossover Trials of a Wearable Artificial Pancreas.
- Lipohypertrophy and the Artificial Pancreas. Is This an Issue? Free full text available in PDF format.
- Aberrant gut microbiota composition at the onset of type 1 diabetes in young children.
- Associations between Bone, Fat Tissue and Metabolic Control in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Leptin reverses diabetes by suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis.
- Markers of endothelial dysfunction and inflammation predict progression of diabetic nephropathy in African Americans with type 1 diabetes.
- Blood and islet phenotypes indicate immunological heterogeneity in type 1 diabetes.
- Brain Changes Underlying Cognitive Dysfunction in Diabetes: What Can We Learn From MRI?
- Inhaled insulin effective therapy for patients with type 1, type 2 diabetes.
11 June 2014
- Hydrolyzed Infant Formula and Early β-Cell Autoimmunity A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Anti-infective medication use before and after the onset of type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents: a population-based cohort study.
- Safety of closed-loop therapy during reduction or omission of meal boluses in adolescents with type 1 diabetes: Randomised clinical trial.
- Retinal Vessel Calibers Predict Long-term Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: The Danish Cohort of Pediatric Diabetes 1987 (DCPD1987).
- Microaneurysm count as a predictor of long-term progression in diabetic retinopathy in young patients with type 1 diabetes: the Danish Cohort of Pediatric Diabetes 1987 (DCPD1987).
- Comparison of the prevalence of islet autoantibodies according to age and disease duration in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Epigenetic analyses of the insulin-like growth factor binding protein 1 gene in type 1 diabetes and diabetic nephropathy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Serum glycated albumin as a new glycemic marker in pediatric diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Single-Donor Islet Transplantation and Long-term Insulin Independence in Select Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Performance characterization of an abiotic and fluorescent-based continuous glucose monitoring system in patients with type 1 diabetes. See also Senseonics web site.
4 June 2014
- Overnight Glucose Control With an Automated, Unified Safety System in Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes at Diabetes Camp.
- Evaluating the Performance of a Novel Embedded Closed-loop System.
- Closed-Loop Control Performance of the Hypoglycemia-Hyperglycemia Minimizer (HHM) System in a Feasibility Study.
- The Impact of Accelerometer and Heart Rate Data on Hypoglycemia Mitigation in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Design of the Glucose Rate Increase Detector: A Meal Detection Module for the Health Monitoring System.
- Different Lipid Variables Predict Incident Coronary Artery Disease in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes With or Without Diabetic Nephropathy: The FinnDiane Study.
- Studying Pancreatic Risks Caused by Incretin-Based Therapies. Is It a Game? It's Not a Game! Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
28 May 2014
- Glycated hemoglobin variability and retinopathy progression in type 1 diabetes: Is month‐to‐month instability a better predictor? Free full text available in PDF format.
- Auditory neuropathy in individuals with Type 1 diabetes.
- The trajectory of IGF-1 across age and duration of type 1 diabetes.
- Many faces of monogenic diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Control of IBMIR in Neonatal Porcine Islet Xenotransplantation in Baboons.
21 May 2014
- Reduced morbidity at diagnosis and improved glycemic control in children previously enrolled in DiPiS follow-up.
- Reduction in CD4 Central Memory T-cell subset in Co-Stimulation Modulator Abatacept-Treated Patients with Recent-Onset Type 1 Diabetes is Associated with Slower C-Peptide Decline.
- Unraveling the contribution of pancreatic beta-cell suicide in autoimmune type 1 diabetes.
- Gut Dysbiosis and Detection of “Live Gut Bacteria” in Blood of Japanese Patients With Type 2 Diabetes.
14 May 2014
- A Randomized Trial of a Home System to Reduce Nocturnal Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes. See also New research shows how to keep diabetics safer during sleep and CU researcher helps Type 1 diabetics sleep better.
- Once-Weekly Exenatide as Adjunct Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in Patients Receiving Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Therapy.
- Feasibility Study of a Bio-inspired Artificial Pancreas in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Gluten-free diet reduces risk of type 1 diabetes in mice. See also Could a maternal gluten-free diet protect offspring against type 1 diabetes?
7 May 2014
- Prevalence of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Among Children and Adolescents From 2001 to 2009. PDF also available be link.
- Early Hyperglycemia Detected by Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Children at Risk for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Rapidly rising incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes in Chinese population: epidemiology in Shanghai during 1997-2011.
- Early infant growth is associated with the risk of islet autoimmunity in genetically susceptible children.
- Differentiation of iPSCs into insulin-producing cells via adenoviral transfection of PDX-1, NeuroD1 and MafA.
30 April 2014
- Overnight Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Young People With Type 1 Diabetes: A Free-Living, Randomized Clinical Trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- First Use of Model Predictive Control in Outpatient Wearable Artificial Pancreas. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Systems: Engineering the Algorithms. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Systems: Physiological Input to Enhance Next-Generation Devices. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Insulin pump therapy in youth with type 1 diabetes: toward closed-loop systems.
- Treatment of Recent-Onset Type 1 Diabetic Patients With DiaPep277: Results of a Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Randomized Phase 3 Trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Long term effect of gut microbiota transfer on diabetes development.
- Characterization of Circulating and Endothelial Progenitor Cells in Patients With Extreme-Duration Type 1 Diabetes.
- Molecular signatures differentiate immune states in Type 1 diabetes families.
- Dipeptidyl peptidase-IV inhibition prevents blood-retinal barrier breakdown, inflammation and neuronal cell death in the retina of type 1 diabetic rats.
- Altered glucose metabolism in mouse and humans conceived by in-vitro fertilization (IVF).
23 April 2014
- Changes in Diabetes-Related Complications in the United States, 1990–2010.
- Disease progression among 446 children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes located in Scandinavia, Europe, and North America during the last 27 yr.
- Assessment of a New Insulin Preparation for Implanted Pumps Used in the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Antibodies to lactobacilli and bifidobacteria in young children with different propensity to develop islet autoimmunity. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Distribution of C-Peptide and Its Determinants in North American Children at Risk for Type 1 Diabetes.
16 April 2014
- Continuous intraperitoneal insulin infusion in type 1 diabetes: a 6-year post-trial follow-up. Free full text available in PDF format.
- The incidence of diabetes among 0-34 year olds in Sweden: new data and better methods.
- Evolution of Abnormal Plasma Glucagon Responses to Mixed Meal Feedings in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes During the First Two Years After Diagnosis.
- The artificial pancreas: current status and future prospects in the management of diabetes.
- Prevention or Early Cure of Type 1 Diabetes by Intranasal Administration of Gliadin in NOD Mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
9 April 2014
- Adding Heart Rate Signal to a Control-to-Range Artificial Pancreas System Improves the Protection Against Hypoglycemia During Exercise in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Clinical characteristics of type 1 diabetes over a 40 year period in Turkey: secular trend towards earlier age of onset.
- Body mass index and retinopathy in type 1 diabetic patients. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Therapy of type 1 diabetes with CD4+CD25highCD127- regulatory T cells prolongs survival of pancreatic islets - results of one year follow-up.
2 April 2014
- Inhaled Insulin Clears Hurdle Toward F.D.A. Approval.
- Can Glucose Be Monitored Accurately at the Site of Subcutaneous Insulin Delivery? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A Novel Algorithm for Prediction and Detection of Hypoglycemia Based on Continuous Glucose Monitoring and Heart Rate Variability in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Gut Microbe 'Cross Talk' in Early Life and Type 1 Diabetes. (Free Medscape membership required)
- Insulin-Producing Intestinal K Cells Protect NOD Mice from Autoimmune Diabetes.
- Hypoglycaemia and QT interval prolongation in type 1 diabetes - bridging the gap between clamp studies and spontaneous episodes.
- Smoking and Arterial Stiffness in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: The SEARCH Cardiovascular Disease Study.
- Advanced glycation end products are associated with arterial stiffness in type 1 diabetes.
- Short-Term Insulin Requirements Following Gastric Bypass Surgery in Severely Obese Women with Type 1 Diabetes.
27 March 2014
- Viruses and Type 1 diabetes: a dynamic labile equilibrium. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Post-breakfast closed-loop glucose control is improved when accompanied with carbohydrate-matching bolus compared to weight-dependent bolus.
- Population-based incidence of diabetes in Australian youth aged 10-18 yr: increase in type 1 diabetes but not type 2 diabetes.
- Residual C-peptide in type 1 diabetes: what do we really know?
- Exploratory Trial of Intranasal Administration of Glucagon-like Peptide-1 in Japanese Patients With Type 2 Diabetes.
- Growth Abnormalities in Children with Type 1 Diabetes, Juvenile Chronic Arthritis, and Asthma. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Xenoantibody response to porcine islet cell transplantation using GTKO, CD55, CD59, and fucosyltransferase multiple transgenic donors.
- Caprine pancreatic islet xenotransplantation into diabetic immunosuppressed BALB/c mice.
19 March 2014
- HbA1c Variability as an Independent Risk Factor for Diabetic Retinopathy in Type 1 Diabetes: A German/Austrian Multicenter Analysis on 35,891 Patients. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Glucose Sensing in the Peritoneal Space Offers Faster Kinetics than Sensing in the Subcutaneous Space.
- Improved pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profile of insulin analogs using InsuPatch, a local heating device.
- Antithymocyte globulin treatment for patients with recent-onset type 1 diabetes: 12-month results of a randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 2 trial.
- Targeting of memory T cells with alefacept in new-onset type 1 diabetes (T1DAL study): 12 month results of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 2 trial.
- Low-dose interleukin 2 in patients with type 1 diabetes: a phase 1/2 randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
- Role of Viruses and Other Microbes in the Pathogenesis of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Older onset of type 1 diabetes linked to lower brain connectivity.
12 March 2014
- Compromised gut microbiota networks in children with anti-islet cell autoimmunity.
- The human GLP-1 analogs liraglutide and semaglutide: Absence of histopathological effects on the pancreas in nonhuman primates.
- GAD Autoantibody Affinity in Adult Patients With Latent Autoimmune Diabetes, the Study Participants of a GAD65 Vaccination Trial.
- Subclinical Vascular Endothelial Dysfunctions and Myocardial Changes With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in Children and Adolescents.
- Genome-wide association study of urinary albumin excretion rate in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Adaptive calibration algorithm for plasma glucose estimation in continuous glucose monitoring.
5 March 2014
- Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibition and Glycemic Control in Type 1 Diabetes: Results of an 8-Week Open-Label Proof-of-Concept Trial.
- Combination therapy for preservation of beta cell function in Type 1 diabetes: New attitudes and strategies are needed!
- The University of Virginia/Padova Type 1 Diabetes Simulator Matches the Glucose Traces of a Clinical Trial.
- Bringing closed-loop home: recent advances in closed-loop insulin delivery.
- Investigational new insulin glargine 300 U.mL has the same metabolism as insulin glargine 100 U.mL.
- Long-term survival after simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantation with primary function of at least one year - a single-center experience.
26 February 2014
- Changes in human brain glutamate concentration during hypoglycemia: insights into cerebral adaptations in hypoglycemia-associated autonomic failure in type 1 diabetes.
- A type I interferon transcriptional signature precedes autoimmunity in children genetically at-risk of type 1 diabetes.
- Alpha1-Antitrypsin Therapy Downregulates Toll Like Receptor-Induced IL-1(beta) Responses in Monocytes and Myeloid Dendritic Cells and may Improve Islet Function in Recently Diagnosed Patients with Type 1 Diabetes. See also First Clinical Trial of Type 1 Diabetes Treatment Developed By BGU Researcher Has Extremely Positive Results.
- Motor unit number estimations are smaller in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus. A case-cohort study.
- Adolescents with clinical type 1 diabetes display reduced red blood cell glucose transporter isoform 1 (GLUT1).
19 February 2014
- Innate immune activity is detected prior to seroconversion in children with HLA-conferred type 1 diabetes susceptibility.
- Treatment of new onset type 1 diabetes with teplizumab : successes and pitfalls in development.
- Localizing Functional Damage in the Neural Retina of Adolescents and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
12 February 2014
- Treating diabetes with islet transplantation: Lessons from the past decade in Lille.
5 February 2014
- Differences in the gut microbiota of healthy children and those with type 1 diabetes.
- Autonomous and continuous adaptation of a bihormonal bionic pancreas in adults and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Clinical Evaluation of an Automated Artificial Pancreas Using Zone-Model Predictive Control and Health Monitoring System.
- Perioperative intensive insulin therapy using an artificial endocrine pancreas with closed-loop glycemic control system: the effects of no hypoglycemia.
- The effect of empagliflozin on arterial stiffness and heart rate variability in subjects with uncomplicated type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Evaluating the diet of children at increased risk for type 1 diabetes: first results from the TEENDIAB study.
- Cell Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Non-invasive quantification of the beta cell mass by SPECT with 111In-labelled exendin.
29 January 2014
- The effect of childhood cow's milk intake and HLA-DR genotype on risk of islet autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes: The Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young.
- Consumption of Acidic Water Alters the Gut Microbiome and Decreases the Risk of Diabetes in NOD Mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Fecal microbiota imbalance in Mexican children with type 1 diabetes.. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The PILGRIM Study: In Silico Modeling of a Predictive Low Glucose Management System and Feasibility in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes During Exercise.
22 January 2014
- Pancreatic biopsies in type 1 diabetes: revisiting the myth of Pandora's box.
- Impaired left ventricular function and myocardial blood flow reserve in patients with long-term type 1 diabetes and no significant coronary artery disease: Associations with protein glycation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
15 January 2014
- Glycemic Variability Is Higher in Type 1 Diabetes Patients with Microvascular Complications Irrespective of Glycemic Control.
- Low HERV-K(C4) Copy Number is Associated with Type 1 Diabetes.
8 January 2014
- Current status of clinical islet transplantation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Human fetal pancreatic islet-like structures as source material to treat type 1 diabetes.
- Influence of In Vitro and In Vivo Oxygen Modulation on beta Cell Differentiation From Human Embryonic Stem Cells.
- Effect of pioglitazone on the course of new-onset type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Are closed-loop systems for intensive insulin therapy ready for prime time in the ICU?
1 January 2014
- Faster In and Faster Out: Accelerating Insulin Absorption and Action by Insulin Infusion Site Warming.
- Dendritic Cell Subsets in Type 1 Diabetes: Friend or Foe? Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
[ Current Research News | News from 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 ]
Last Updated: Wednesday January 07, 2015 19:54:18
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.