Science Fair Report
by Eric Charles Seaman>
My experiment is to compare blood sugar meters for accuracy.
Question: What did I want to find out?
Which blood sugar meter is most accurate in measuring blood sugar levels.
Hypothesis: What do I think?
I think the Dex blood sugar meter will be the most accurate because it only uses the plasma in blood to test for blood sugar but all the others use whole blood.
List of materials needed:
- Four different blood sugar meters and test strips
Dex, AccuChek, FreeStyle, and One Touch meters
- One finger poker to get blood samples
- Logbook to record test results for each meter
- Results of two separate blood tests called an A1c test
- I get a special blood test called an A1c at the doctor's office.
- When I first wake up each morning I poke my finger to get a blood sample.
- I put a drop of blood on the strips used in each meter and test my blood. I tested on all four meters.
- I record all four blood sugar readings in the logbook.
- I do the same thing (Steps 2-4) all over again each night before I go to bed.
- I test a total of eighteen times on each meter and then get another A1c test at the doctor's office.
- The meter whose A1c average is closest to the A1c tests that I had at the doctor's office would be the most accurate.
Results: What actually happened?
The Dex meter came closet to both of the A1c tests that I had at the doctor's office. My A1c's were 6.9% and 7.2%. The Dex had an average of 7.6%. The other meters averaged 8.5%, 9.1%, and 9.3% which isn't very close at all.
Conclusions: What did I learn?
I learned the Dex meter is the most accurate of all the meters that I tested. I'm happy that the Dex is the most accurate because I have been using a Dex meter to check my blood sugar for almost two years now.
Date Dex AccuChek One Touch FreeStyle 3/10/01 PM 107 113 140 135 3/11/01 AM 141 167 165 182 3/11/01 PM 194 232 226 257 3/12/01 AM 144 155 220 167 3/12/01 PM 94 103 117 107 3/13/01 AM 206 208 221 223 3/13/01 PM 184 201 194 204 3/14/01 AM 145 181 172 168 3/14/01 PM 128 142 171 147 3/15/01 AM 75 91 88 99 3/15/01 PM 69 78 65 82 3/16/01 AM 127 142 144 136 3/16/01 PM 61 63 58 84 3/17/01 AM 157 170 180 181 3/17/01 PM 88 102 122 123 3/18/01 AM 131 140 144 178 3/18/01 PM 232 242 307 272 3/19/01 AM 192 209 278 209 Total 2475 2739 3012 2954 Average 137.5 152.2 167.3 164.1 A1c 7.6 8.5 9.3 9.1
Published 7 May 2001
Last Updated: Thursday August 29, 2002 21:02:12
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.