Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Chicago 2009 conference, to be held at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel in Chicago, Illinois from April 24-26, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2009 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 7-12, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life UK, to be held at the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from August 14-16, 2009.
- Applications for the 2009-2010 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are online and must be received by May 15, 2009. This is a one month extension from the original April 15 deadline. Up to fifteen $5,000 scholarships will be awarded.
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is once again offering scholarships for young adults with type 1 diabetes to attend CWD's Friends for Life 2009 conference.
New This Week
- Smiths Medical Announces Intent To Stop Selling Deltec Cozmo® Insulin Pumps.
- Last week's poll asked readers what infusion set they use most often. This week's poll asks readers how often they check blood glucose levels during the middle of the night.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE.
- Exercise for the Nintendo Generation is Worth a Look.
- The Family Support Network has over 4,100 families from all 50 states and 81 countries. If you're new to diabetes, looking for a baby sitter for your child, want to babysit others, or need a college parent, the Family Support Network can help you connect with families near you. If you haven't joined, please become part of the Family Support Network. Now's also a great time to search for someone near you and introduce yourself.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son was diagnosed at 21 months. At age three his ID bracelet broke. He handed me the remains, raised his little arm, and said, "Look mom I'm not diabetic anymore." It was hard to explain that it didn't work that way.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your d-daughter knows the Girl Scout cookies with the fewest carbs per cookie and uses that in her sales pitch to everyone---diabetic or not! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My son recently had a seizure with a blood sugar of 58 mg/dl [3.2 mmol/L]? Why did he seize at this level when he's not done so when his blood sugar has been lower?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Smiths Medical Announces Intent to Stop Selling Deltec Cozmo(R) Insulin Pumps
Surveys and Studies
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital is seeking children, teens and adults ages 1 to 45 years old (without diabetes) with a family member with type 1 diabetes. (PDF)
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital is conducting a Type 2 Diabetes Study for 10 to 23 Year Olds. (PDF)
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital is seeking families with a child aged 9-11 who has had type 1 diabetes for at least a year to learn about how families manage diabetes day-to-day. (PDF)
- The Protégé Study seeks people aged 8 to 35 years with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
- A company interested in developing a better way to deliver glucagon is seeking your help through a survey for adults and a survey for caregivers.
Products and Books
- FDA: Insulin Pens and Insulin Cartridges Must Not Be Shared.
- Early nephropathy in type 1 diabetes: the importance of early renal function decline.
- Geographical variability of the incidence of Type 1 diabetes in subjects younger than 30 years in Catalonia, Spain.
- Double Diabetes: A Mixture of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes in Youth.
- Latent autoimmune diabetes of adulthood (LADA): an often misdiagnosed type of diabetes mellitus.
- Treatment of insulin dependent diabetes mellitus with intravascular transplantation of pancreatic islet cells without immunosuppressive therapy.
- Changes in the Use of Analogue Insulins in 37 206 Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes in 275 German and Austrian Centers during the Last Twelve Years.
- Ambulatory blood pressure measurements are related to albumin excretion and are predictive for risk of microalbuminuria in young people with type 1 diabetes.
- A cognitive behavior therapy-based intervention among poorly controlled adult type 1 diabetes patients-A randomized controlled trial.
- Independent factors associated with depression in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Parenting Children With Diabetes: Exploring Parenting Styles on Children Living With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Review of Family-centered Interventions to Enhance the Health Outcomes of Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus and periodontal disease: relationship to different clinical variables.
- HbA1c: how do we measure it and what does it mean?
- Whole Grain and Legume Acceptability Among Youths With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Versus Multiple Daily Insulin Injections in Type 2 Diabetes: A Meta-analysis.
- Lapses in medicaid coverage: impact on cost and utilization among individuals with diabetes enrolled in medicaid.
- Gestational diabetes; can a low glycemic index diet reduce the need for insulin? A randomised trial.
- Intensive versus Conventional Glucose Control in Critically Ill Patients; The NICE-SUGAR Study Investigators (free full text available in HTML and PDF formats). See also Glucose Control in the ICU — How Tight Is Too Tight? (free full text available in PDF format) and Intensive insulin therapy and mortality among critically ill patients: a meta-analysis including NICE-SUGAR study data. (PDF)
- Intestinal T cell responses to gluten peptides are largely heterogeneous: implications for a peptide-based therapy in celiac disease.
- Bovine Milk Caseins and Transglutaminase-Treated Cereal Prolamins Are Differentially Recognized by IgA of Celiac Disease Patients According to Their Age.
- Celiac disease: diagnostic criteria and impact of gluten free diet--patients' perspective.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Insulin, 1922.
- Children's diabetes technology fair explains insulin pumps and glucose sensors.
- "Jesus Phone 3.0" touches diabetic blogger. See also LifeScan Diabetes Management for Apple's iPhone.
- Girl has pledged to raise $18,000 for the Canadian Diabetes Association .
- 3 area youth to attend diabetes gathering.
- New toolkit could improve hospital care for diabetes.
- Insulin pumps for 'Gen Next' lifestyle in India.
- Supermodel Izabel Goulart Partners With Diabetes Research Institute Foundation As International Ambassador.
- SemBioSys Genetics Inc. Announces Clinical Results with Plant-Produced Insulin.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Tuesday December 08, 2009 11:13:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.