Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2009 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 7-12, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life UK, to be held at the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from August 14-16, 2009.
- Applications for the 2009-2010 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are online and must be received by May 15, 2009. This is a one month extension from the original April 15 deadline. Up to fifteen $5,000 scholarships will be awarded.
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is once again offering scholarships for young adults with type 1 diabetes to attend CWD's Friends for Life 2009 conference.
New This Week
- We've migrated CWD's mailing lists to a new server. You'll now be able to manage your subscriptions more easily, and the digest processor is much better than before. If you have any questions or issues with email you receive from CWD, please let us know.
- Several insulin pump companies are offering special programs to help users of the Deltec Cozmo® insulin pump:
- Animas Announces Animas Access Program for Deltec Cozmo® Users.
- Medtronic Announces Special Message for Deltec Insulin Pump Customers
- OmniPod Offers Upgrade Program for Deltec Cozmo® Users
- Cayden is 4 and was diagnosed when he was 2.
- Last week's poll asked readers about the blood glucose meter they use most often. This week's poll asks readers what they think is the hardest part of living with diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Getting the Most Out of Diabetes Camp: A Guide for Parents and Kids.
- Our Report from AADE 2008 is Worth a Look.
- The Family Support Network has over 4,150 families from all 50 states and 82 countries. If you're new to diabetes, looking for a baby sitter for your child, want to babysit others, or need a college parent, the Family Support Network can help you connect with families near you. If you haven't joined, please become part of the Family Support Network. Now's also a great time to search for someone near you and introduce yourself.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I was looking for the bank statement the other day. I asked my wife, "Have you seen the HBA1c statement?" She laughed and said, "Do you mean the HSBC bank statement?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child never gets the broken crackers from the box -- it's too hard to count carbs on those broken pieces! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Following a very low blood sugar, my daughter was very confused. What can you tell me about this behavior? In the past, she would get violent when low. She is now in Fairbanks, Alaska and does not have an endocrinologist.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
The pump and checking in the night
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 681 panels. The next complete showing of the Quilt for Life will be at CWD's Friends for Life conference in Orlando in July 2009. Quilts received before July 1, 2009 will be included in the showing.
- Australia's strongest man and television star, Derek Boyer, talks to Diabetes Australia - NSW about his life with type 1 diabetes.
- From the Diabetes UK's YouTube site comes two videos entitled "Learning to Live - 1970s documentary about a camp for children with Type 1 diabetes." The video comes in two parts: part 1 and part 2.
From the Diabetes Blogosphere
- Guest Blog: Diabetics Have Healthy Babies All the Time.
Products and Books
- Medical Device Alert: Ambulatory insulin infusion pump. Accu-Chek Spirit manufactured by Roche Diagnostics.
- Etanercept Treatment in Children with New Onset Type 1 Diabetes: Pilot Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double Blind Study.
- Lower bone mineral density in children with type 1 diabetes is associated with poor glycemic control and higher serum ICAM-1 and urinary isoprostane levels.
- Incidence of type 1 diabetes mellitus and associated complications among children and young adults: results from Karnataka Diabetes Registry 1995-2008.
- Male predominance of congenital malformations in infants of women with type 1 diabetes.
- Evaluation of the chronic complications of diabetes in a high fructose diet in rats.
- Cost-effectiveness of insulin detemir compared to NPH insulin for type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus in the Canadian payer setting: modeling analysis.
- Insulin Analogs versus Human Insulin in the Treatment of Patients with Diabetic Ketoacidosis: a randomized controlled trial.
- Physical fitness, dietary intake, and metabolic control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Minimal reduction in insulin dosage with pramlintide therapy when pretreatment near-normal glycemia is established and square-wave meal bolus is used.
- Breastfeeding and the basal insulin requirement in type 1 diabetic women.
- Read the latest gluten free news in these new blog articles.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Kingsport Family Faces Challenge Of 3 Diabetic Children.
- Walkers Crowd Carowinds to Walk for a Cure.
- Diabetic heads home from blockade.
- Local Mothers Fight Diabetes.
- Teen speaks out about diabetes.
- Baseball's in their blood, too.
- Economy costing diabetics their health.
- Roche Diabetes Care supports "Changing Diabetes in Children."
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.