Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2009 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 7-12, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life UK, to be held at the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from August 14-16, 2009.
- Applications for the 2009-2010 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are online and must be received by May 15, 2009. This is a one month extension from the original April 15 deadline. Up to fifteen $5,000 scholarships will be awarded.
New This Week
- We report on our recently concluded Focus on Technology conference, held in Chicago.
- Marisa is 14 and was diagnosed in 2007.
- Last week's poll asked readers how many times they have had a retinal photograph. This week's poll asks readers how soon after their child's diagnosis did they begin to go out again with just their spouse.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Discovery of Insulin by Michael Bliss.
- Our page about Retinopathy is Worth a Look.
- The Family Support Network has over 4,175 families from all 50 states and 82 countries. If you're new to diabetes, looking for a baby sitter for your child, want to babysit others, or need a college parent, the Family Support Network can help you connect with families near you. If you haven't joined, please become part of the Family Support Network. Now's also a great time to search for someone near you and introduce yourself.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I work at a daycare center and all the kids were curious about my new pump. I explained to them that when I eat, I push some buttons and it gives me insulin, and that keeps me healthy. I told them that it was very important that I do this. After snack time I was cleaning up and grabbed a few cheerios to eat. Then when I went to play with the kids again, one four-year-old crossed her arms and looked at me sternly. "Erica, are you going to push the buttons or am I going to have to?" It was so cute that they were taking care of me!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your six-year-old child announces that she didn't get high at that party and you know exactly what she meant, but the person next to you just looks at the two of you with a concerned face. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
What is the relationship between blood and urine sugar levels?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Travelling with diabetes for the 1st time
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 683 panels. The next complete showing of the Quilt for Life will be at CWD's Friends for Life conference in Orlando in July 2009. Quilts received before July 1, 2009 will be included in the showing.
- Parts of Type 1 Diabetes: Cellular, Molecular & Clinical Immunology, Edited by George Eisenbarth, have been updated.
General Diabetes Information
- Diabetes Stories presents 100 audio interviews with people with diabetes, members of their families and healthcare professionals.
Products and Books
- Disetronic Medical Systems Inc. (a member of the Roche Group) announces a recall (field corrective action) of the ACCU-CHEK® Spirit insulin pump due to "up" and/or "down" button failures.
- GAD65 vaccination: 5 years of follow-up in a randomised dose-escalating study in adult-onset autoimmune diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- New prospects for immunotherapy at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.
- Elevated Triglycerides Correlate with Progression of Diabetic Neuropathy.
- Serum uric acid as a predictor for development of diabetic nephropathy in type 1 diabetes - an inception cohort study.
- Epidemiology and clinical characteristics of thyroid dysfunction in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage might be associated with vitamin D receptor polymorphisms in type 1 diabetes.
- Chronic sorrow in parents of children with type 1 diabetes.
- Coping and Psychosocial Adjustment in Mothers of Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Cognitive functions and glycemic control in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Final size attained in type 1 diabetes children.
- Prevalence of antihypertensive, antidiabetic, and dyslipidemic prescription medication use among children and adolescents.
- A Comparison of Antibody Testing, Permeability Testing, and Zonulin Levels with Small-Bowel Biopsy in Celiac Disease Patients on a Gluten-Free Diet.
Legal and Legislative
- Bronx judge Sonia Sotomayor would be first Latina on Supreme Court if she replaces Justice Souter. Judge Sotomayor was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as a child.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Blog: Be prepared for traveling with diabetes. See also Traveling with Diabetes and Flying with Diabetes.
- Success of Clinical Research Depends on the Altruism of Many Volunteers.
- An apology to all those affected by diabetes.
- Living to play the game.
- Dealing with diabetes.
- I want others to get same chance as me.
- A call for standardized self-monitoring blood glucose education.
- Living Cell Technologies Reports Insulin Independence in Two Patients Following Recent Implants of DIABECELL® in Diabetes Clinical Trial.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Tuesday December 08, 2009 11:13:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.