Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2009 conference, to be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 7-12, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life UK, to be held at the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from August 14-16, 2009.
- Following his Diabetes World Flight, Douglas Cairns, along with a second pilot with diabetes, will attempt to break a US National Record that passes through all 48 Contiguous States of the USA in June 2009.
- The Express Your Simple Win Creativity Contest offers kids ages 6-18 a chance to meet Nick Jonas in person.
New This Week
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: La Jolla 2009 conference, to be held at the Marriott San Diego La Jolla from October 2-4, 2009 in La Jolla, California.
- Taylor is 12 and was diagnosed at 10 months
- Courtney is 13 and lives in Ohio.
- Jamie is 14 and was diagnosed when she was 3 1/2.
- ANNOUNCING OUR WINNERS: The 2009 DiabetesMineTM Design Challenge.
- Last week's poll asked readers if their diabetes team provides emotional support (e.g., a psychologist or social worker). This week's poll asks readers when they last refilled their glucagon prescription.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Cheating Destiny by James S. Hirsch.
- Our page about Traveling with Diabetes is Worth a Look.
- The Family Support Network has over 4,200 families from all 50 states and 82 countries. If you're new to diabetes, looking for a baby sitter for your child, want to babysit others, or need a college parent, the Family Support Network can help you connect with families near you. If you haven't joined, please become part of the Family Support Network. Now's also a great time to search for someone near you and introduce yourself.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We recently moved to a new home with pool. I was getting ready to take my non-diabetic 3 year old swimming. She was waiting patiently on the deck while I checked the chlorine level with a pool test-strip. She watches me read the strip and then says, "Can we swim mommy or does the pool have ketones?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your 3-year-old son with diabetes asks every person who drinks juice, "Are you low?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I am allergic to the glue on tapes. My skin reacts badly - blisters. Are there other ways to attach the infusion set to my body without using adhesive?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Putting it all into perspective - worrying vs living
Quilt for Life
- We added three panels to the Quilt for Life last week, bringing the total number of panels to 686. The next complete showing of the Quilt for Life will be at CWD's Friends for Life conference in Orlando in July 2009. Quilts received before July 1, 2009 will be included in the showing.
- EASD web-based lectures now available include:
- Stem Cells to cure type 1 diabetes: Where do we stand?
- Insulin Pumps (Windows Media File format).
- Diabetic Foot (Windows Media File format).
Continuing Medical Education
- The ADA has published webcasts from the 56th Annual Advanced Postgraduate Course, held in New York in February 2009. Of particular interest are Regeneration and Cellular Strategies for Beta Cell Replacement and SMBG and CGM: What is the Evidence They Make a Difference for Patients?, both by Jay Skyler, MD, from the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, and Cellular and Immunological Strategies for Diabetes Prevention by Desmond Schatz, MD, from the University of Florida.
- Insulin, Glucose and You is a very good video about insulin.
- Stem Cell Research & Diabetes: Realizing a Promise, from the New York Stem Cell Foundation, is an hour-and-a-half video of a panel discussion on the latest developments in diabetes research. See also Stem Cell Research and Diabetes: NYSCF Panel at The TimesCenter.
- Jay Cutler and Type 1 Diabetes is a clip from an NFL game that discusses how Jay Cutler takes care of his diabetes during a game.
Advocacy, Fundraising Events, and Support
- Rebecca and her family are riding bicycles across the United States to raise money and awareness for diabetes research.
Studies and Surveys
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital is seeking children, teens and adults ages 1 to 45 years old (without diabetes) with a family member with type 1 diabetes. (PDF)
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital is conducting a Type 2 Diabetes Study for 10 to 23 Year Olds. (PDF)
- The Protégé Study seeks people aged 8 to 35 years with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
Products and Books
- Real-Life Guide to Diabetes by Hope Warshaw and Joy Pape is a simple-to-read, all encompassing guide to living with diabetes.
- Treatment of patients with new onset Type 1 diabetes with a single course of anti-CD3 mAb teplizumab preserves insulin production for up to 5 years.
- How close are we to developing an alternative to human islet cell transplantation?
- In Silico Preclinical Trials: A Proof of Concept in Closed-Loop Control of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Pulsatile intravenous insulin therapy: The best practice to reverse diabetes complications?
- Pulse pressure and cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy according to duration of type 1 diabetes.
- Self-concept, attitude toward illness and family functioning in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- A case of severe, refractory diabetic gastroparesis managed by prolonged use of aprepitant.
- Effect of intensive insulin therapy using a closed-loop glycemic control system in hepatic resection patients: a prospective randomized clinical trial.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Two men punch and rob boy of his insulin pump.
- Lawsuit against two cities to be upgraded in light of man's death.
- Sotomayor's Medical History Sparks Wider Debate.
- Tattoos being used for medical alerts.
- Adult Stem Cell Implants Make Newly Diagnosed Type 1s Insulin-Free.
- International Diabetes Federation kicks off World Diabetes Day campaign.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.