Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life UK, to be held at the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from August 14-16, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: La Jolla 2009 conference, to be held at the Marriott San Diego La Jolla from October 2-4, 2009 in La Jolla, California.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Seattle 2009, to be held at the Renaissance Seattle in Seattle, Washington from November 20-22, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend: Marco Island 2010 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort from December 31, 2009 - January 3, 2010.
New This Week
- We report on the recently completed Friends for Life: Orlando 2009 annual conference. We'll have more photos online in the coming weeks.
- Learn about Medingo's new insulin pump at www.solo4you.com.
- Sandy Struss and TeamONE completed the Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu.
- Last week's poll asked readers how they get their HbA1c measured. This week's poll asks how diabetes has affected their other children.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D.
- The After Exercise Blues is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We recently painted my daughter's room. We gave her the choice of color. I picked out a pretty shade of pink and she said "No way!" I asked, "Why not? You want a pink room." She said, "I don't want any color that is on a ketone strip!" Sure enough, that was the color of moderate ketones!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when, while driving in the car with your diabetic child, a radio show asks listeners to call in with the answer to the question, "What do parents most often say at their kids?" and your daughter answers, "Did you bolus?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teen daughter has been struggling with her A1c. She doesn't want to work to lower it, assuming it will lead to weight gain. How can we convince her she needs to work on lowering it?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Feeling guilty about needing a break
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life has 709 panels.
- The ADA's Estimated Average Glucose Calculator will help you learn how HbA1c relates to average glucose levels.
- One Of The Most Important Diabetes Questions. See also Do you accept your diabetes?
- Insulin treatment in IA-2A-positive relatives of type 1 diabetic patients.
- Role of insulin autoantibody affinity as a predictive marker for type 1 diabetes in young children with HLA-conferred disease susceptibility.
- Is islet autoimmunity related to insulin sensitivity or body weight in children of parents with type 1 diabetes?
- Abnormal retinal autoregulation is detected by provoked stimulation with flicker light in well-controlled patients with type 1 diabetes without retinopathy.
- Anti-Mullerian hormone and inhibin B levels as markers of premature ovarian aging and transition to menopause in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Two studies, Vitamin D Status and Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in the United States Adolescent Population, Prevalence and Associations of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Deficiency in US Children: NHANES 2001–2004, offer advice on supplementing vitamin D.
- Evidence-based insulin treatment in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Investigation of quality of life and family burden issues during insulin pump therapy in children with Type 1 diabetes mellitus-a large-scale multicentre pilot study.
- Living with type 1 diabetes: perceptions of children and their parents.
- Glycemic Control in Youth with Diabetes: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.
- Does brittle diabetes exist as a clinical entity? Free Portuguese language full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Risk factors for childhood overweight in offspring of type 1 diabetic women with adequate glycemic control during pregnancy: nationwide follow-up study in the Netherlands.
- Pregnancy Outcomes in Diabetes Subtypes: How Do They Compare? A Province-based Study of Ontario, 2005-2006.
- A1C variability predicts incident cardiovascular events, microalbuminuria, and overt diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Celiac Disease: Predictors of Compliance With a Gluten-free Diet in Adolescents and Young Adults.
- Prevalence of Metabolic Bone Disease in Children With Celiac Disease Is Independent of Symptoms at Diagnosis.
- Enteroscopy in the diagnosis and management of celiac disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Living with his diabetes; Fargo man receives award for taking good care of himself.
- Diabetes 101: School nurses become experts; A grant helps provide medical professionals with the right skills to care for Type 1 students.
- Program teaches teachers diabetes.
- Medingo Introduces Solo™ MicroPump Insulin Delivery System at the American Association of Diabetes Educators Meeting After Receiving FDA Clearance.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Tuesday December 08, 2009 11:13:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.