Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: La Jolla 2009 conference, to be held at the Marriott San Diego La Jolla from October 2-4, 2009 in La Jolla, California.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Seattle 2009, to be held at the Renaissance Seattle in Seattle, Washington from November 20-22, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend: Marco Island 2010 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort from December 31, 2009 - January 3, 2010.
New This Week
- Mackenzie, now 15, updates her story.
- Last week's poll asked readers how diabetes has affected their other children. This week's poll asks readers who drive how often they check their blood sugar before driving.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Pumping Insulin, Fourth Edition by John Walsh, P.A., C.D.E., and Ruth Roberts, M.A.
- What To Do When You Give the Wrong Insulin Dose is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
While driving home from the grocery store the other day, D'Aunte asked if he could have one of those pre-packaged crackers with the cheese spread. I told him yes he could, He then said, "Mom, there is no red stick to spread the cheese." I told him to just dip his cracker in the cheese and it would be fine. All was quite in the backseat. When I got to our next stop, I parked the car, turned to the back seat to see my darling son sitting there with a container of test strips using the new strips as a knife to spread his cheese!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you realize people are staring at you in the cleaning aisle after you pick up a new product and exclaim to your family, "Hey, I bet this would get the blood off the bedroom wall!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
We have been struggling since we learned a month ago that our daughter has type 1 and just received the results of the tests our doctor sent to the U.S. What do they mean?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life has 709 panels.
- Childhood Diabetes is an interview of CWD's Jeff Hitchcock discussing the sanofi-aventis KidCare Kit for newly diagnosed families.
- The Faculty of Health from York University in Canada has a collection of videos from their diabetes camp.
- Diabetes Then and Now and Leaping into the Future (Or "Why I Joined Medtronic").
Products and Books
- diaTribe, which offers research and product news for people with diabetes, is offering a chance to win $500 of credit for a DexCom Continuous Glucose Monitoring system.
- Altered prefrontal glutamate-glutamine-gamma-aminobutyric acid levels and relation to low cognitive performance and depressive symptoms in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Carotid intima-media thickness and cerebrovascular reactivity in long-term type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- C-peptide is internalised in human endothelial and vascular smooth muscle cells via early endosomes.
- Use of insulin glargine and cancer incidence in Scotland: a study from the Scottish Diabetes Research Network Epidemiology Group.
- Insulin therapy and quality of life. A review.
- Prevalence and correlates of inadequate glycaemic control: results from a nationwide survey in 6,671 adults with diabetes in Brazil.
- From the diagnosis of celiac disease to the prospect of legislative changes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- New drug may put brakes on diabetes.
- Puppy is learning warning scents to protect 6-year-old diabetic.
- Surfing with Type 1.
- Taking the Needle's Sting Out of Diabetes.
- Imperial innovator in healthcare technology wins global award reports on Professor Christofer Toumazou who is developing an implantable silicon chip for patients with Type 1 diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Tuesday December 08, 2009 11:13:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.