Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: La Jolla 2009 conference, to be held at the Marriott San Diego La Jolla from October 2-4, 2009 in La Jolla, California.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Seattle 2009, to be held at the Renaissance Seattle in Seattle, Washington from November 20-22, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend: Marco Island 2010 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort from December 31, 2009 - January 3, 2010.
New This Week
- We report on the recently concluded Friends for Life UK 2009 conference.
- FDA Issues Public Health Notification on Glucose Monitoring Technology. See also Advice for Patients: Serious Errors with Certain Blood Glucose Monitoring Test Strips and FDA Public Health Notification: Potentially Fatal Errors with GDH-PQQ* Glucose Monitoring Technology from the FDA, as well as FDA: Some Diabetes Monitoring Strips Confused by Nonglucose Sugars and GDH-PQQ Glucose Test Strips May Produce Falsely Elevated Results.
- Last week's poll asked readers who drive how often they check their blood sugar before driving. This week's poll asks readers if their child has a 504 plan for diabetes care at school.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Cheating Destiny by James S. Hirsch.
- Information for Teachers and Child-Care Providers is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 5 year old daughter woke one morning low, so I gave her a couple of glucose tabs to suck on while I prepaired breakfast. She decided to go upstairs to wake her aunt who was visiting for the weekend. She woke her aunt and showed her the glucose tabs in her mouth. Her aunt asked her jokingly if she had candy for breakfast every morning to which my daughter replied, "Only on the mornings mummy says 'Jesus Christ.'"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake in the middle of the night unable to sleep, roll over and gaze at your hunky husband just as the inevitable thought crosses your mind--better go take a quick blood sugar check. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Are people with type 1 allowed to consume alcoholic beverages?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How long after treating a low do you retest?
- Vitamin D Levels in Subjects With and Without Type 1 Diabetes Residing in a Solar Rich Environment.
- Association of type 1 diabetes with month of birth among US youth: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.
- Retinal arterioles have impaired reactivity to hyperoxia in type 1 diabetes.
- Thymus-specific deletion of insulin induces autoimmune diabetes.
- Sustained Benefit of Continuous Glucose Monitoring on HbA1c, Glucose Profiles, and Hypoglycemia in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Factors Predictive of Use and of Benefit from Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Type 1 Diabetes.
- The effectiveness of glucose, sucrose, and fructose in treating hypoglycemia in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Blunted Counter-regulatory Hormone Responses to Hypoglycemia in Young Children and Adolescents with Well-controlled Type 1 Diabetes.
- Anxiety Symptoms in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: Association with Blood Glucose Monitoring and Glycemic Control.
- Transition process of patients with type 1 diabetes (T1DM) from paediatric to the adult health care service: a hospital-based approach.
- Obstetric and perinatal outcomes in type 1 diabetic pregnancies – a large, population-based study.
- The Expense of Eating With Celiac Disease.
- Hepatitis B vaccination failure in celiac disease: Is there a need to reassess current immunization strategies?
- Zinc and micronutrient combinations to combat gastrointestinal inflammation.
- Dynamics of celiac disease-specific serology after initiation of a gluten-free diet and use in the assessment of compliance with treatment.
Legal and Legislative
- American Nurses Association And NASN Speak Out Against Permitting Unlicensed School Employees To Administer Insulin To California Schoolchildren. See also official press release in PDF format.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Nine months on the Protégé teplizumab clinical trial: How it started, how we are doing....
- Inspiration for kids who have to live with diabetes.
- Living with Diabetes includes a video.
- Diabetes brings together Bears' QB and Windsor boy.
- 2000 motorcyclists begin ride to raise funds for diabetes research.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:35
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.