Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: La Jolla 2009 conference, to be held at the Marriott San Diego La Jolla from October 2-4, 2009 in La Jolla, California.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Seattle 2009, to be held at the Renaissance Seattle in Seattle, Washington from November 20-22, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend: Marco Island 2010 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort from December 31, 2009 - January 3, 2010.
New This Week
- With flu season upon us, the American Academy of Pediatrics has published its Policy Statement—Recommendations for the Prevention and Treatment of Influenza in Children, 2009–2010 (PDF). Note that the use of a live-attenuated influenza virus (LAIV) nasal spray is not recommended for children with type 1 diabetes because of the increased risk of flu-like symptoms (see page 6). Parents concerned about thimerosal should ask for single-dose Fluzone, made by Sanofi Pasteur.
- Twenty years ago, Marissa Hitchcock was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She is the inspiration for CWD.
- Renee is 17 and lives in Australia.
- Bonnie is 14 was diagnosed when she was five.
- Shannon is 14 and lives in Pennsylvania.
- Jack is 10 and lives in Wisconsin.
- Dana is 16 and uses an insulin pump.
- Last week's poll asked readers how satisfied they are with the care their child receives at school or daycare. This week's poll asks readers if someone at their child's school will administer glucagon if needed.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Taking Control of Your Diabetes, Second Edition by Steven V. Edelman, MD.
- Type 2 and Double Diabetes is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son, age eight and T1 since he was 2 and the youngest of 3, enjoys getting his older siblings in trouble. He will do this by any means possible and has been known to stretch the truth from time to time. My husband, in the middle of giving our son another speech about his favorite pastime, blurts out, "you are going to be known as a "lie-abetic" if this keeps up.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the stray dog who has parked himself on your deck has only been there 10 minutes and already has a test strip attached to his fur! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Is it possible for the honeymoon period to come and go?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Glucagon training kit
- Glory Enough for All, the amazing mini series about the discovery of insulin, is on YouTube. Highly Recommended.
Advocacy, Fundraising Events, and Support
- The California Assembly Select Committee on Child & Adolescent Health will be holding its second Hearing regarding diabetes care in California schools on Thursday, October 8th from 1-4pm at the Capitol in Sacramento. California families are urged to tell your story of diabetes care in California schools (PDF).
- The American Diabetes Association urges families living with diabetes to support health care reform that will include coverage of diabetes care products and services to prevent complications. See also Stop the Crisis: Health Care Reform Now, a video by George Huntley, chair of the board of directors with the American Diabetes Association.
- Bridget McNulty, a Type 1 diabetic, and her partner Mark Peddle, a photographer, plan to travel around the world, spreading awareness about diabetes, and showing that there is no reason for the disease to stop you living your dreams.
Studies and Surveys
- Parents of children ages 5-17, diagnosed within the last six months, are invited to participate in a research survey about Development and Evaluation of the Pediatric Diabetes Routines.
- Increasing incidence of pediatric type 1 diabetes mellitus in Southeastern Wisconsin: relationship with body weight at diagnosis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and susceptibility to type 1 diabetes in Crete, Greece.
- Pancreas transplantation alone in children: a case report.
- Lipid disorders in type 1 diabetes.
- Elevated Proportions of Recent Thymic Emigrants in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Salivary Antioxidants in Patients With Type 1 or 2 Diabetes and Inflammatory Periodontal Disease: A Case-Control Study.
- Diabetes-specific family conflict and psychological distress in paediatric Type 1 diabetes.
- Hub-and-spoke model for a 5-day structured patient education programme for people with Type 1 diabetes.
- Celiac Disease Is Associated with Restless Legs Syndrome.
- Development of a cookie formulation for celiac people using defatted Chilean hazel nut (Gevuina avellana. Mol) flour and quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd) flour.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Regular Continuous Glucose Monitor Use Increases Diabetes Control For All Age Groups, Studies Show.
- Diabetic teen's dog helps keep his sugar levels on track.
- Abnormal Response to Wheat Protein May Provide Clue To Cause of Type 1 Diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Tuesday December 08, 2009 11:13:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.