Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Seattle 2009, to be held at the Renaissance Seattle in Seattle, Washington from November 20-22, 2009.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend: Marco Island 2010 conference, to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort from December 31, 2009 - January 3, 2010.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Houston 2010, to be held at the JW Marriott in Houston, Texas from February 19-21, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Focus on Technology: Houston 2010 conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010, to be held at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel in Charlotte, North Carolina, from April 16-18, 2010
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2010 International Conference, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida from June 29 – July 4, 2010.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference, to be held at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada from August 27-29, 2010.
New This Week
- November 14 is World Diabetes Day.
- Share your life with diabetes through the 2nd Annual University of Florida Pediatric Endocrinology World Diabetes Day Photo Contest.
- Scholarships for CWD's Focus on Technology conference in Seattle are available.
- Last week's poll asked readers about their plans for Halloween. This week's poll asks readers how many times they've checked for ketones in the past year.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Life as a Pancreas: Reflections on Raising a Child with Diabetes by Priscilla Call Essert.
- Our page about Medical Identification Products is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our son, Bryce is 2 1/2 and was diagnosed at 9 months. Bryce has three friends in the neighborhood that all get together and play throughout the week. When Bryce needs a check, I go to him with the kit and he stops for a minute while we do our business. One day while waiting for the meter reading, I glanced up and his three friend were all standing their with their fingers out to be checked too! Talk about moral support!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child practices her math facts using MultiClix as counters! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Is there any new research regarding infant formula and the early onset of type 1 diabetes?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Things you need to know when heading to the hospital
- Blood and Honey is a feature-length documentary film about living with diabetes, led by project director Jessica Bernstein, Ph.D., who was diagnosed with type 1 as a child. Be sure to watch the sample reel.
- Learn about the latest cure-focused research at the Diabetes Research Institute's Diabetes 2.0 >> Connecting The Community From Care To Cure event, to be held on Saturday, November 7, 2009 at The Signature Grand hotel in Davie, Florida.
Studies and Surveys
- The DiaPrevent research study is designed to see if the investigational Diamyd vaccine shots may help to preserve insulin producing capacity in patients with new onset type 1 diabetes.
- T1 Tuesday: Beginning the Insulin Pump.
- Halloween Reflections: What is Bolus-Worthy?
Products and Books
- For iPhone and iPod Touch users, the InfoDek Consumer DiabetesDek is available in the iTunes store (link opens iTunes).
- Autologous umbilical cord blood transfusion in very young children with type 1 diabetes.
- Maternal age at birth and childhood type 1 diabetes: a pooled analysis of 30 observational studies.
- The Effect of Direct Renin Inhibition on Renal Hemodynamic Function, Arterial Stiffness and Endothelial Function in Humans with Uncomplicated Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Pilot Study.
- A genome-wide association study identifies a novel major locus for glycemic control in type 1 diabetes, as measured by both HbA1c and glucose.
- The influence of physical activity on ghrelin and IGF-1/IGFBP-3 levels in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Association Between Adherence and Glycemic Control in Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes: A Meta-analysis.
- Family functioning at meals relates to adherence in young children with type 1 diabetes.
- Feeding problems reported by parents of young children with type 1 diabetes on insulin pump therapy and their associations with children's glycemic control.
- Improved metabolic outcome in a Danish diabetic paediatric population aged 0–18 yr: results from a nationwide continuous Registration.
- The 25-Year Incidence of Visual Impairment in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus The Wisconsin Epidemiologic Study of Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Individual Growth Curve Modeling of Specific Risk Factors and Memory in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: An Accelerated Longitudinal Design.
- Lifetime prevalence of suicidal and self-injurious behaviors in a representative cohort of Slovenian adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Ketoacidosis at presentation of type 1 diabetes in children in Kuwait: frequency and clinical characteristics.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Canyon all pumped up.
- More kids have diabetes, fewer schools have nurses.
- Former Cleveland Cavalier Chris Dudley Writes Book About Overcoming Hurdles of Diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:36
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.