Of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2010 College Scholarships from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation are now online. At least seventeen $5,000 scholarships will be awarded. Applications must be submitted by April 15, 2010.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Houston 2010, to be held at the JW Marriott in Houston, Texas from February 19-21, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Focus on Technology: Houston 2010 conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2010 International Conference, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida from June 29 – July 4, 2010.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference, to be held at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada from August 27-29, 2010.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010, to be held at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel in Charlotte, North Carolina, from September 3-5, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010 conference.
New This Week
- We report on the recently concluded CWD Family Support Weekend, held at the Marriott Marco Island Resort, Marco Island, Florida from December 31, 2009 - January 3, 2010.
- Last week's poll asked readers what changes they think 2010 will bring. This week's poll asks readers how they think type 1 diabetes will be cured first.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Rising: How a Rare Disease Became a Modern Pandemic, and What to Do About It by Dan Hurley.
- Our page about Mini-Dose Glucagon Rescue for Hypoglycemia in Children With Type 1 Diabetes is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son Jacob was diagnosed at 20 months and is now just about 4 years old. Today our family went to our local JDRF chapter "Walk for a Cure." Jacob asked where we were going and I told him we were walking to find a cure for his diabetes. He thought for a few seconds and then asked me: "What's it look like?" I said, "excuse me?" This time, he didn't miss a beat and said: "If we are walking to find the cure, we need to know what it looks like so we will know if we find it." Out of the mouths of babes....
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your five-year-old asks, "Pretty please with Splenda on it." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I've had diabetes for 10 years. Twice, I have had abnormal spot urine tests, but a normal 24-hour test. The doctor wants me on an ACE inhibitor. Can diet affect the deterioration of the kidneys? Are there foods I should avoid?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
First time low. Quite scary for us.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- Despite Advances, 'Diabetes Rising' with author Dan Hurley is from NPR's Talk of the Nation program, aired on January 5, 2010.
- Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity is from the Wm. K. Warren Medical Research Center for Celiac Disease at the University of California San Diego.
- TCOYD and Diabetes Sisters are partnering to offer the first annual Weekend for Women Conference, to be held from Saturday, May 22 to Sunday, May 23, 2010 in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Johnson & Johnson Crusades to Save Beta Cells.
Products and Books
- The ADA's Consumer Guide 2010 can help you choose the right diabetes care product.
- Results of ITN insulin B-chain study for type 1 diabetes published summarizes Autoantigen-specific regulatory T cells induced in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus by insulin B-chain immunotherapy, previously reported.
- Anti-inflammatory properties of C-Peptide.
- C-Peptide: the missing link in diabetic nephropathy?
- The beneficial effects of C-Peptide on diabetic polyneuropathy.
- C-Peptide and its intracellular signaling.
- A Molecular Level Understanding of Zinc Activation of C-peptide and its Effects on Cellular Communication in the Bloodstream.
- Molecular effects of C-Peptide in microvascular blood flow regulation.
- C-Peptide in the vessel wall.
- Sequential abnormalities in type 1 diabetic encephalopathy and the effects of C-Peptide.
- Pancreatic acellular matrix supports islet survival and function in a synthetic tubular device: in vitro and in vivo studies.
- The in vivo performance of bioartificial pancreas in bone marrow cavity: A case report of a spontaneous diabetic feline.
- Skeletal Muscle Metabolism in the Pathology and Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy, HDL-cholesterol, and smoking correlate with arterial stiffness markers determined 18 years later in type 1 diabetes.
- Ductal Origin Hypothesis of Pancreatic Regeneration under Attack. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Antidiabetic Effects of IGFBP2, a Leptin-Regulated Gene. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Leptin-Linked Gene Reverses [Type 2] Diabetes in Mice.
- Comparison of the dose accuracy of prefilled insulin pens.
- Coordinated Basal-bolus infusion for tighter postprandial glucose control in insulin pump therapy.
- Could oral antidiabetic agents be useful in the management of different types of diabetes and syndromes of insulin resistance in children and adolescents?
- Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose in Type 1 Diabetes Patients with Insufficient Metabolic Control: Focused Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose Intervention Can Lower Glycated Hemoglobin A1C.
- The narrative-autobiographical approach in the group education of adolescents with diabetes: A qualitative research on its effects.
- Incidence of Treatment for End-Stage Renal Disease Among Individuals With Diabetes in the U.S. Continues to Decline. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Deamidated Gliadin Peptide Antibodies as a Routine Test for Celiac Disease: A Prospective Analysis.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Diabetes stabilized with insulin pump.
- Biotech firm signs research deal.
- O'side High mourns sudden death of sophomore president.
- Death of Johnson & Johnson heiress, Casey Johnson,raises similar health questions as in Murphy's death.
- American Diabetes Association’s New Clinical Practice Recommendations Promote A1C as Diagnostic Test for Diabetes.
- Insulet and Ypsomed Sign International Distribution Agreement for the OmniPod Insulin Management System.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:36
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.