Of Continuing Interest
- Readers are encouraged to participate in the 2010 DiabetesMine™ Design Challenge. Three $7,000 Grand Prizes will be awarded.
- Applications for the 2010 College Scholarships from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation are now online. At least seventeen $5,000 scholarships will be awarded. Applications must be submitted by April 15, 2010.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2010 International Conference, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida from June 29 – July 4, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2010 conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference, to be held at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada from August 27-29, 2010.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010, to be held at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel in Charlotte, North Carolina, from September 3-5, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010 conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2010 Conference, to be held at the Beaumont House Hotel and Conference Venue in Old Windsor, Berkshire, England from October 29-31, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2010 conference.
New This Week
- Sabrina lives in Australia but was diagnosed in the US.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have experienced discrimination because of diabetes. This week's poll asks readers how many different basal rates they use in their main insulin pump basal profile.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Everything Parent's Guide to Children with Juvenile Diabetes by Moira McCarthy.
- Our CWD UK Information is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
After explaining diabetes to my newly diagnosed two-year-old daughter, she said, "Mommy, can you buy me a new pancreas?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your d-daughter knows the Girl Scout cookies with the fewest carbs per cookie and uses that in her sales pitch to everyone---diabetic or not! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Do most endocrinologists have their patients learn a carbohydrate counting/ratio system before transitioning them to a pump? Can diluted fast-acting insulin help obtain better dosing accuracy?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Behavior changes in children with diabetes?
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life has 714 panels.
- Join Laura Billetdeaux for a special chat about CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2010 conference on Friday, March 12th at 9pm Eastern in the Friends for Life chat room.
- Grandparents are invited to join Betty, Rachele and Bruce for a special CWD Grandparents Chat from 9-10 pm on March 18th in the Grandparents Chat Room. The topic will be Reclaiming Sleepovers and Get-aways.
- The Texas Lions Camp is holding an Adult Diabetes Retreat from April 16-18, 2010. Guest speakers include Steve Ponder, Barbara Anderson, and Karen Runnels. Details are available in the program flyer (PDF).
Studies and Surveys
- Families are encourage to participate in an online survey about blood glucose meters, the results from which will be presented by Ellen Ullman, MSW, at the upcoming FDA/CDRH Public Meeting on Blood Glucose Meters, to be held on Wednesday, March 17, 2010.
- A team from the University of Michigan is conduction a survey on parents' perceptions of their child's independence in caring for their type 1 diabetes at school and the amount of support (alliance) that parents perceive they receive from the school.
- Researchers at the Medical University of South Carolina are looking for teenage drivers with type 1 diabetes between the ages of 16-19 and their parents to participate in an online study about how diabetes affects driving in teens. The survey is anonymous, which means that no one will know your answers but YOU. For more information and to complete the survey, please choose the appropriate survey:
- Survey for teens
- Survey for parents
- Site Change Day explores what's involved in changing an insulin pump infusion set in a young child. The author has many other wonderful posts.
- Please Do Not Remove My Batteries.
- Kris Freeman: Closing Thoughts on Vancouver 2010.
- Association of A1c Levels with Vitamin D Status in U.S. Adults: Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.
- Feature Article: Leptin therapy in insulin-deficient type I diabetes.
- Treatment with insulin glargine (Lantus((R))) increases the proliferative potency of the serum of patients with type-1 diabetes: a pilot study on MCF-7 breast cancer cells.
- Prolonged Nocturnal Hypoglycemia Is Common During 12 Months Of Continuous Glucose Monitoring In Children And Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Prevention of Nocturnal Hypoglycemia Using Predictive Alarm Algorithms and Insulin Pump Suspension.
- Variation of Interstitial Glucose Measurements Assessed by Continuous Glucose Monitors in Healthy, Non-obese, Non-diabetic Individuals.
- Evaluation of an Algorithm to Guide Patients with Type I Diabetes Treated with Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion (CSII) on How to Respond to Real-Time Continuous Glucose Levels- A Randomised Control Trial.
- Renal Doppler indices in diabetic children with insulin resistance syndrome.
- Metabolic Control, Self-care Behaviors, and Parenting in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes: A Correlational Study.
- Executive Functioning, Treatment Adherence, and Glycemic Control in Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome in a child with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- CU Hospital's diabetes research sets standards worldwide.
- Managing diabetes: Should teachers play a role in assisting diabetic children?
- Hoping, coping while waiting for a cure to diabetes.
- A constant battle: Those living with illness take nothing for granted.
- Diabetes no Drag for Hobey Baker Candidate Conacher.
- Family Finds Comfort In Dealing With Diabetes.
- UW to coordinate diabetes research network.
- Elliott Yamin's earthquake scare in Chile: In his own words.
- Diamyd Medical: Diamyd US Phase III Study Well under Way.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:37
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.