Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2010 International Conference, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida from June 29 – July 4, 2010.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference, to be held at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada from August 27-29, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010, to be held at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel in Charlotte, North Carolina, from September 3-5, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010 conference.
- CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2010 Conference, to be held at the Beaumont House Hotel and Conference Venue in Old Windsor, Berkshire, England from October 29-31, 2010, is sold out. If you would like to be on the waiting list in case space becomes available, please contact Laura Billetdeaux at .
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Marco Island Resort in Marco Island, Florida from December 30, 2010 - January 1, 2011.
New This Week
- The 2010 Lisa Awards: Heroes who exemplify The Power of One Person.
- Teen Film Project for FFL – The Betes:Now.
- Last week's poll asked families when they last refilled their glucagon prescription. This week's poll asks readers if they have been tested for celiac.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE.
- 10 Second Sprint May Help Prevent Post-Exercise Hypoglycemia is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our son, Bryce is 2 1/2 and was diagnosed at 9 months. Bryce has three friends in the neighborhood that all get together and play throughout the week. When Bryce needs a check, I go to him with the kit and he stops for a minute while we do our business. One day while waiting for the meter reading, I glanced up and his three friend were all standing their with their fingers out to be checked too! Talk about moral support!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your two-year-old insists on putting cotton balls in her doll's diapers to check for ketones. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Since his mom is not rotating injection sites, my nephew has scar tissue at the often used sites. Is this common? How many sites should they be using?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Have you talked to your D kid about alcohol and D?
Studies and Surveys
- Families in the Cincinnati area are need for a new study on Type 1 Diabetes and Depression: A Study for Teens and Their Families.
- Please add yourself to the T1D Exchange, a new not for profit project that we hope will become the largest type 1 diabetes study ever. Parents should answer the survey questions for their child.
- Researchers at the Medical University of South Carolina are looking for teenage drivers with type 1 diabetes between the ages of 16-19 and their parents to participate in an online study about how diabetes affects driving in teens. The survey is anonymous, which means that no one will know your answers but YOU. For more information and to complete the survey, please choose the appropriate survey:
- Survey for teens
- Survey for parents
Diabetes in School
- Videos from ADA's Safe at School Program are now online at YouTube. These are great to share with your child's teachers and school staff.
- Pump & Infusion Set Innovations from NiliMedix.
- Introducing "TuAnalyze": Why Mapping Diabetes Data Matters.
- The Suck.
Products and Books
- PortaPocket offers products to help hold and conceal an insulin pump.
- Pretty BGs: Glucose Logging Software for the Mac.
- Study links viral infection to juvenile diabetes.
- Elevated serum dipeptidyl peptidase-4 activity in type 1 diabetes mellitus: a direct comparison.
- The Type 1 Diabetes PhysioLab Platform: a validated physiologically based mathematical model of pathogenesis in the non-obese diabetic mouse.
- The immunotherapeutic potential of dendritic cells in type 1 diabetes.
- Lipoatrophy Induced by Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion: Ultrastructural Analysis and Gene Expression Profiling.
- Mixing Insulin Aspart With Detemir Does Not Affect Glucose Excursion In Children With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Adherence challenges in the management of type 1 diabetes in adolescents: prevention and intervention.
- Insufficient long-term glycemic control is associated with multifocal ERG defects in adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Oral Health Knowledge and Behaviors among Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Blood glucose responses to reductions in pre-exercise rapid-acting insulin for 24 h after running in individuals with type 1 diabetes.
- QT interval prolongation during spontaneous episodes of hypoglycaemia in type 1 diabetes: the impact of heart rate correction.
- A randomised controlled trial of cognitive behaviour therapy and motivational interviewing for people with Type 1 diabetes mellitus with persistent sub-optimal glycaemic control: a Diabetes and Psychological Therapies (ADaPT) study.
- Excess Health Care Costs of Obesity in Adults with Diabetes Mellitus: a Claims Data Analysis.
- An influence of HLA-A, B, DR, DQ, and MICA on the occurrence of Celiac disease in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Cesarean Delivery Is Associated With Celiac Disease but Not Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Children.
- Obesity in Pediatric Celiac Disease.
- Celiac disease: from gluten to skin.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Bret Michaels wins "The Celebrity Apprentice." See also Bret Michaels: On the Road to Recovery.
- Jonas Brothers Help Raise $250,000 for Diabetes.
- Diabetes has Celtics' Ray Allen and family fighting for the home team.
- Local boy takes part in diabetes study.
- Gymnasts using an insulin pump.
- The indomitable spirit of 'Diabetes Dude'.
- Future wizards win kiss with HAMlet.
- Schools 'letting down' pupils suffering from diabetes.
- Don't be Idle this Summer...Be the Hero! American Idol finalist Kevin Covais joins the Diabetes Diplomats to raise funds for the Diabetes Research Institute.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:37
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.