Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2010 International Conference, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida from June 29 – July 4, 2010, is just two weeks away. Online registration is now closed. Onsite registration begins on Tuesday, June 29th.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference, to be held at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada from August 27-29, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010, to be held at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel in Charlotte, North Carolina, from September 3-5, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010 conference.
- CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2010 Conference, to be held at the Beaumont House Hotel and Conference Venue in Old Windsor, Berkshire, England from October 29-31, 2010, is sold out. If you would like to be on the waiting list in case space becomes available, please contact Laura Billetdeaux at .
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Marco Island Resort in Marco Island, Florida from December 30, 2010 - January 1, 2011.
New This Week
- Announcing The Winners of the 2010 DiabetesMine™ Design Challenge.
- Last week's poll asked parents about who is primarily responsible for their child's diabetes care. This week's poll asks readers about themselves.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Burnout: What To Do When You Can't Take It Anymore by William Polonsky.
- Starting a New Sport is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 4 year old Hannah has had diabetes for one year now. Recently, we have been talking a lot about doctors trying to find a CURE for diabetes. The other night Hannah turned to me and asked, "Mom, when are they going to find a CAREER for diabetes?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you go through a drive-in at Dunkin' Donuts and see the sign that said "High Curb" and you start laughing because you think it said "HIGH CARB." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My daughter was just diagnosed and I am concerned about having to limit her carbohydrates drastically to avoid blood sugar spikes. Is this normal? Will I ever be able to give her more than five grams of carbohydrates at a time?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Vacation and our worst low ever
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life has 715 panels.
Studies and Surveys
- Families in the Cincinnati area are need for a new study on Type 1 Diabetes and Depression: A Study for Teens and Their Families.
- Evidence of increased islet cell proliferation in patients with recent-onset type 1 diabetes.
- Role of C-peptide in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy.
- Serum C peptide level and renal function in diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Endothelial Abnormalities in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: A Biomarker for Vascular Sequelae?
- Diagnosing silent cardiac dysautonomia via ambulatory blood pressure monitoring: early diagnosis shown by the lack of heart rate circadian rhythm in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Population genetics of IFIH1: ancient population structure, local selection and implications for susceptibility to type 1 diabetes.
- Brain Insulin Action Regulates Hypothalamic Glucose Sensing and the Counterregulatory Response to Hypoglycemia.
- Dose adjustment for normal eating (DAFNE) - an audit of outcomes in Australia.
- An update on the treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus: focus on insulin detemir, a long-acting human insulin analog. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Polyendocrinopathy in children, adolescents and young adults with type 1 diabetes. A multicenter analysis of 28,671 patients from the German/Austrian DPV-Wiss-database.
- Isomaltulose Improves Post-Exercise Glycemia by Reducing CHO Oxidation in T1DM.
- Anxiety and depression in adult patients with celiac disease on a gluten-free diet. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- More cereals added to gluten-free list.
- Apps for Gluten-Free Living.
Legal and Legislative
- American Diabetes Association Issues Statement in Response to California State Court Ruling on Children with Diabetes in Schools.
- The Case of Insulin in California Schools.
- Nursing Politics Out of the Law.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- The Type 1 Versus Type 2 Diabetes War. See also What People with Type 1 Diabetes can Learn from Type 2s.
- Allen's Biggest Fans Benched By Diabetes.
- Blackmar Balances Diabetes and Baseball.
- Almost half 'wrongly believe that diabetes can be triggered by a sweet tooth'.
- Coffing on a roll on women’s Futures golf tour.
- Olympic XC skier Kris Freeman brings story of spirit and tenacity to campers with diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday June 16, 2010 14:02:55
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.