Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference, to be held at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada from August 27-29, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010, to be held at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel in Charlotte, North Carolina, from September 3-5, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010 conference.
- CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2010 Conference, to be held at the Beaumont House Hotel and Conference Venue in Old Windsor, Berkshire, England from October 29-31, 2010, is sold out. If you would like to be on the waiting list in case space becomes available, please contact Laura Billetdeaux at .
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Marco Island Resort in Marco Island, Florida from December 30, 2010 - January 1, 2011.
New This Week
- CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2010 International Conference, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida from June 29 – July 4, 2010, begins today. We will have a preliminary report next week.
- Jessica is 11 and was diagnosed in January 2010.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have their most recent basal rates, insulin-to-carb ratios, and correction factors written down. This week's poll asks readers if they have sought counseling to cope with diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The ABCs of Loving Yourself with Diabetes by Riva Greenberg.
- Medical Identification Products are Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I came downstairs one afternoon and my son Max (age 10, dx 4 years ago) said, "Mom, I was 28!" I said "Oh my gosh (panic rising in my throat), did you get some juice? Do you need help?" "No," he said. "Not my blood sugar! 28 was my Wii Fit age!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the stray dog who has parked himself on your deck has only been there 10 minutes and already has a test strip attached to his fur! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Though otelixizumab is for the treatment of newly onset diabetes, would my daughter, who has been taking insulin for over 10 years, benefit from taking it? She has been gaining weight despite doing all that she's supposed to do to control her diabetes.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How much self-care is realistic for a 6 year old?
Studies and Surveys
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet is a group of studies looking at the prevention and early treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- Families in the Cincinnati area are need for a new study on Type 1 Diabetes and Depression: A Study for Teens and Their Families.
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital is conducting a Type 2 Diabetes Study For Children and Teens.
- Quick Brief: the Roche Social Media Summit.
- ADA: 'Artificial Pancreas' Reins in Glucose After Feast.
- FDA Approves Trial For Type 1 Diabetes Treatment By Ben-Gurion U. And U. Colorado.
- Sleep Restriction For One Week Reduces Insulin Sensitivity In Healthy Men.
- Effectiveness of Sensor-Augmented Insulin-Pump Therapy in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Continuous Glucose Monitoring — Coming of Age, also available in PDF format.
- Defining the ideal injection techniques when using 5-mm needles in children and adults.
- Effects of Glutamine on Glycemic Control During and After Exercise in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus (T1DM): a Pilot Study.
- Dietary strategies of immunomodulation in infants at risk for celiac disease.
- Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase Antibodies From Celiac Patients Are Responsible for Trophoblast Damage via Apoptosis In Vitro.
- A distinctive 'microbial signature' in celiac pediatric patients. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Fewer Dying From Type 1 Diabetes.
- Cardiff father cycles length of Wales for diabetic daughter.
- A (Safe) Place for Families in Need.
- Life-saving dog alerts girl to diabetes crash.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.