Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference, to be held at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada from August 27-29, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010, to be held at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel in Charlotte, North Carolina, from September 3-5, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010 conference.
- CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2010 Conference, to be held at the Beaumont House Hotel and Conference Venue in Old Windsor, Berkshire, England from October 29-31, 2010, is sold out. If you would like to be on the waiting list in case space becomes available, please contact Laura Billetdeaux at .
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Marco Island Resort in Marco Island, Florida from December 30, 2010 - January 1, 2011.
- Less than a month is left in the 2010 Online Pump Triathlon Relay. Get moving and upload a video to help donate $10,000 to a diabetes charitable organization.
New This Week
- JDRF Participates in 2010 Children with Diabetes Friends for Life Conference.
- JDRF is Now Accepting Applications for Children's Congress 2011.
- Follow Douglas Cairns in Diabetes Flight 50 as he attempts to break the existing record to land in all 50 states of the USA.
- Brooke is 10 and was diagnosed when she was seven.
- Last week's poll asked readers how much of a financial burden paying for diabetes supplies places on their family. This week's poll asks readers about their reuse of diabetes supplies.
- The Featured Book of the Week is A First Book for Understanding Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D.
- Out Report from Quilt for Life: DC 2008 is Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
On top of the cookies in the cookie jar is a paper with 6c. (6 Carbohydrates) each written on it. Upon returning from getting a cookie, my non-diabetic nephew says, "I don't have 6 cents to pay for each one of these cookies." My 5 year old diabetic son said, "It's carbs, not cents!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when doing math homework, in response to the question "Name three things that you use in your home to measure with and draw a picture of it," your 6-year-old son writes "syringe" and painstakingly draws a picture of it. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
The doctor suggested switching my son from NPH and Regular to NovoLog and Lantus. Is there a way to continue the old regimen and get better control? Might the lack of exercise be contributing to poorer control? Which is better: Lantus or a pump?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Do you stop doing BS checks when on CGM?
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 722 panels.
Advocacy and Support
- Joslin Announces Opportunity to Win Iacocca Mustang.
- Test B4U Drive Program is a free, one-day class aimed at helping teens with diabetes drive safely and defensively. See also Medtronic Launches First Free Safe-Driving Program for Teens with Diabetes in Los Angeles.
Studies and Surveys
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet is a group of studies looking at the prevention and early treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- DEFEND is a global study seeking newly diagnosed patients aged 12 to 45 to test an islet preserving medication.
- The DiaPrevent research study is designed to see if the investigational Diamyd vaccine shots may help to preserve insulin producing capacity in patients with new onset type 1 diabetes.
- Families in the Cincinnati area are need for a new study on Type 1 Diabetes and Depression: A Study for Teens and Their Families.
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital is conducting a Type 2 Diabetes Study For Children and Teens.
- Orlando International Is The Loneliest Place On The Planet After Attending 1 Day @ Children With Diabetes Friends For Life Conference.
- A Boost Toward College for Students with Diabetes.
- The Thought.
- Estimating the cost of type 1 diabetes in the u.s.: a propensity score matching method. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (link in HTML full text).
- Early Life Disease Programming during the Preconception and Prenatal Period: Making the Link between Stressful Life Events and Type-1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats (link in HTML full text).
- Genetic testing of newborns for type 1 diabetes susceptibility: a prospective cohort study on effects on maternal mental health.
- Fetal exposure to maternal type 1 diabetes is associated with renal dysfunction at adult age.
- A health-economic analysis of porcine islet xenotransplantation.
- Patient-reported outcomes following islet cell or pancreas transplantation (alone or after kidney) in Type 1 diabetes: a systematic review.
- Cancer risk among patients hospitalized for Type 1 diabetes mellitus: a population-based cohort study in Sweden.
- Fear of hypoglycaemia in parents of young children with type 1 diabetes: a systematic review. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Is exercise a therapeutic tool for improvement of cardiovascular risk factors in adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus? A randomised controlled trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The impact of health insurance coverage on pediatric diabetes management.
- Characterization of 33 488 children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes based on the gender-specific increase of cardiovascular risk factors.
- Gastrointestinal symptoms in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Evaluation of the final stature reached by type 1 diabetes mellitus patients followed at an outsourced service.
- Changes in pulse pressure, heart rate and the pulse pressure x heart rate product during squatting in Type 1 diabetes according to age.
- Atorvastatin has antithrombotic effects in patients with type 1 diabetes and dyslipidemia.
- Insulin Pump Therapy in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Safely Improved Glycemic Control Using a Simple Insulin Dosing Regimen.
- When man cannot live by bread ... celiac disease.
- Local stores adjust to those going gluten-free.
- Mom, daughter create gluten-free foods as good as the originals.
- 'Naturally gluten-free' foods might not be.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Haskell woman a thriving example of beating a disease.
- York U. diabetes study is a worldwide first, professor says.
- Champion is back on track after controlling illness.
- Sensor-augmented insulin pump can give Type 1 diabetics greater freedom.
- Santa Barbara researchers to test artificial pancreas.
- Singer-songwriter hopes to use her art to help others.
- Diabetes Monitoring Device Benefits Man and Man’s Best Friend.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday July 21, 2010 15:43:27
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.