Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference, to be held at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada from August 27-29, 2010, is sold out. If you would like to be on the waiting list in case space becomes available, please contact Laura Billetdeaux at .
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010, to be held at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel in Charlotte, North Carolina, from September 3-5, 2010.
- CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2010 Conference, to be held at the Beaumont House Hotel and Conference Venue in Old Windsor, Berkshire, England from October 29-31, 2010, is sold out. If you would like to be on the waiting list in case space becomes available, please contact Laura Billetdeaux at .
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Marco Island Resort in Marco Island, Florida from December 30, 2010 - January 1, 2011.
New This Week
- Grace was diagnosed at 9 months of age in April 2009.
- Last week's poll asked readers how diabetes has affected their other children. This week's poll asks our readers who drive how often they check their blood glucose before driving.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Everything Parent's Guide to Children with Juvenile Diabetes by Moira McCarthy.
- Our page about Information for Teachers and Child-Care Providers Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We were walking along with some friends. My daughter Corie, age 12, dx at age 2, was wearing her insulin pump on her hip. I was holding hands with a younger child in the group (Cole age 6) who has a little thing for Corie. He saw the pump site. I asked him if he knew what it was. He replied, "Yes, that is where you plug her in for her energy."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you're the only mother at playgroup chasing around your 3-year-old yelling, "If you don't come eat these jellybeans right now, I'll put you in time out!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My child has been refusing to eat, saying this will prevent a high blood sugar and that he does not need to check his blood sugar. How should I deal with this?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Sample Back to School Supply Lists for D
- On Tuesday, August 17th at 2 p.m. ET, join the American Diabetes Association's Associate Director of Legal Advocacy, Crystal Jackson (@CrystalAdvocate), for an hour-long Twitterchat discussion about the Safe at School Campaign – including its goals and principals, legal rights, how to work with the school, written plans for school care, and overcoming challenges. Bring your questions and follow @AmDiabetesChat and #ADAChat. If you haven't already, create a Twitter account at twitter.com. Be sure to follow @AmDiabetesAssn, @AmDiabetesChat and @CrystalAdvocate. Then on Tuesday, August 17 at 2 p.m. ET, visit twitter.com and search for #ADAChat. You will be able to view real time results of the chat.
Advocacy and Events
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
Studies and Surveys
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet is a group of studies looking at the prevention and early treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- DEFEND is a global study seeking newly diagnosed patients aged 12 to 45 to test an islet preserving medication.
- The DiaPrevent research study is designed to see if the investigational Diamyd vaccine shots may help to preserve insulin producing capacity in patients with new onset type 1 diabetes.
- Families in the Cincinnati area are need for a new study on Type 1 Diabetes and Depression: A Study for Teens and Their Families.
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital is conducting a Type 2 Diabetes Study For Children and Teens.
General Diabetes Information
- A Guide to Pregnancy With Diabetes.
- Why CGM Is So Misunderstood (Learn the "Art of Control with Continuous Glucose Monitoring").
- Texting & Diabetes Management: Launchpad to 'mHealth'.
- BSparl and Her Mommy in Diabetes Forecast.
- Countdown to Connection.
- There's an A.P.P for that!
- Diabetes And The Danger Hypothesis.
Products and Books
- Carb Counting with Lenny (the Lion) is a new mobile application aimed at helping children with diabetes learn an essential skill of good diabetes management-counting carbohydrates-that's offered for free download on the Apple iTunes App Store for the iPhone, iTouch and iPad.
- Too Sweet Boutique offers handmade insulin pump cases for kids.
- radrr offers stylish insulin pump cases.
- Dex4 offers information about School Days and Hypoglycemia and Hypo First-Aid Posters.
- Environmental factors associated with childhood-onset type 1 diabetes mellitus: an exploration of the hygiene and overload hypotheses.
- Quality of Life Measures in Children and Adults with Type 1 Diabetes: The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring Randomized Trial.
- Premeal injection of rapid-acting insulin reduces postprandial glycemic excursions in type 1 diabetes.
- Basal Insulin Substitution with Glargine or Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion in Adult Type 1 Diabetes Patients-A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Evaluation of the long-term cost-effectiveness of insulin detemir compared with neutral protamine hagedorn insulin in patients with type 1 diabetes using a basal-bolus regimen in Sweden.
- Glycemic Variability in Inadequately Controlled Type 1 Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes on Intensive Insulin Therapy: A Cross-Sectional, Observational Study.
- The Celiac Disease and Type 1 Diabetes Screening Controversy.
- Reproductive life disorders in Italian celiac women. A case-control study.
- iCanEat OnTheGo Gluten & Allergen Free.
Legal and Legislative
- PWD Files Suit Over Insulin Deprivation.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Eve Samples: Three kids, three diagnoses — a family changed by diabetes.
- Mothers press for greater understanding of diabetes.
- Victory living with diabetes.
- USC kicker takes diabetes head-on.
- Bluefish's Jiannetti one of many diabetics who've found athletic success.
- OMG, more than one lesson from this diabetes study. LOL!
- Red Wine Ingredient Increases Insulin Sensitivity, Works Against Retinal Disease.
- Diabetics should consult doctor before fasting.
- MIT: Shining A Light On Diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.