Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Marco Island Resort in Marco Island, Florida from December 30, 2010 - January 1, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2011, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from March 25-27, 2011.
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
New This Week
- Jaida is six and was diagnosed in September 2010.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they are concerned about their child's ability to pay for diabetes care when they are an adult. This week's poll asks readers what they do with their insulin pump tubing.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Understanding Insulin Pumps & Continuous Glucose Monitors, 2nd Edition by H. Peter Chase, MD, and Laurel Messer, RN, MPH, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our 4 year old daughter Rachel, pumping with a blue Minimed pump named Blossom, has been learning about Heaven in her Sunday School class. One afternoon while discussing Heaven I informed her that there is no diabetes in Heaven and she got excited and asked, "So when I go to Heaven I can leave Blossom at home?" Well yesterday, out of the blue she decided that she no longer wanted to go to Heaven. When I asked her why? Her response was, "Because I love my diabetes and would miss Blossom!" Out of the mouths of Babes....
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you find used infusion sets tied to the furniture as toys for the new kitten.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I have heard that blood sugar fluctuations can cause long term damage. What is the latest research on this? Are blood swings just as detrimental as high A1cs?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Advocacy and Events
- Families in the UK can participate in the Diabetes UK campaign to get children with diabetes high quality care and support.
- GlucaGo for Instant Hypo Treatment.
- New "Smart" Diabetes Software from Medtronic Identifies Trends &anp; Recommends Actions.
- ADA is seeking to fill a ADA – Novo Nordisk staff attorney position.
Products, Services and Books
- Bands 4 Life offers a cool armband to help OmniPods stay in place when worn on the arm.
- Analysis of pathogenesis of juvenile new onset diabetes.
- Cells reprogrammed to treat diabetes; Testes may be a source of insulin production. See also "Grow Your Own Transplant" May be Possible for Men with Type 1 Diabetes, Stem Cells Turned Into Complex, Functioning Intestinal Tissue in Lab, Stem Cells Used to Make Pancreas, Gut Cells and Directed differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells into intestinal tissue in vitro.
- Survey of Insulin Site Rotation in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Overweight, obesity and features of metabolic syndrome in children with diabetes treated with insulin pump therapy.
- School-based lived experiences of adolescents with type 1 diabetes: a preliminary study.
- Cumulative cost of prescription medication in outpatients with type 1 diabetes in Finland.
- Health inequity in children and youth with chronic health conditions.
- Celiac disease through child's eyes.
- Serologic screening and genetic testing among brazilian patients with celiac disease and their first degree relatives.
- Drink Gluten Free Beer and Support a Cause.
- Ga-ga for gluten-free.
- Managing a Gluten-Free Diet.
Legal and Legislative
- JDRF Applauds Congress for Passage of $300 Million for Type 1 Diabetes Research and Thanks Supporters for Advocacy Efforts for Special Diabetes Program Renewal.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Russian boy regains right to attend party.
- Funding crucial to pig cell treatment's future.
- Medtronic Launches CareLink Pro 3.0, the First Diabetes Management Software to Offer Advanced Decision Support.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:39
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2016. Comments and Feedback.