Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Marco Island Resort in Marco Island, Florida from December 30, 2010 - January 1, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2011, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from March 25-27, 2011.
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
New This Week
- Jackson is 10 and was diagnosed in January 2010.
- Last week's poll asked readers what they do with their insulin pump tubing. This week's poll asks readers if they commemorate their diagnosis date.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The ABCs of Loving Yourself with Diabetes by Riva Greenberg.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I overheard the cutest thing while we were at a diabetes walk. Emily was walking in front of me with my 6 year old nephew. I was listening to them talk. He said to her, "Em, why are we walking around this place anyway?" I heard her tell him, "We are walking to find a cure for diabetes." My nephew said, "Well, where am I supposed to be looking for it?" I could have died laughing.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you ask for a pen and they bring you the insulin pen.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
How do you help young adults realize the importance of keeping their average blood sugar lower without it sounding like nagging?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Question for those who have/had a Toddler with Diabetes . . . ?
Studies and Surveys
- The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, a part of the National Institutes of Health, is currently seeking people who recently have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes to volunteer for clinical research studies. These studies are being conducted by research teams across the United States.
- Dear Santa, Will You Please Take This Diabetes Away?
- Go ahead, Flip Your Diabetes Bitch/Wit Switch!
- Josh Makower, Stanford Biodesign, on Medical Innovation and What's Wrong with the FDA.
- The Mixed-Up Role of Standard Deviation in Diabetes Care.
- I was scanned and lived to tell the tale! See also Insulin pumps are now a suspected terrorism device.
- What NOT to say to the parent of a Type 1 Diabetic.
- ADA is seeking to fill a ADA – Novo Nordisk staff attorney position.
- Birth order and childhood type 1 diabetes risk: a pooled analysis of 31 observational studies.
- Exenatide, a glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist, suppresses pancreatic beta-cell destruction induced by encephalomyocarditis virus.
- Left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in adolescents with type 1 diabetes reflects the long- but not short-term metabolic control.
- A retrospective study of the incidence of diagnosed Type 1 diabetes among children and adolescents in a large health organization in Israel, 2000-2008.
- Rapid increase in the incidence of type 1 diabetes in Polish children from 1989 to 2004, and predictions for 2010 to 2025.
- Association between childhood obesity and subsequent Type 1 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Increased risk of cardiovascular disease in Type 1 diabetes: arterial exposure to remnant lipoproteins leads to enhanced deposition of cholesterol and binding to glycated extracellular matrix proteoglycans.
- Attenuation of Diabetes-Induced Cardiac Inflammation and Pathological Remodeling by Low-Dose Radiation.
- The Trial to Reduce IDDM in the Genetically at Risk (TRIGR) study: recruitment, intervention and follow-up.
- Needle Anxiety in Children With Type 1 Diabetes and Their Mothers.
- A combined insulin reduction and carbohydrate feeding strategy 30 min before running best preserves blood glucose concentration after exercise through improved fuel oxidation in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Self-classification as an adult in patients with type 1 diabetes: Relationships with glycemic control and illness coping.
- Fecundability among women with type 1 and type 2 diabetes in the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study.
- An electronic tongue for gliadins semi-quantitative detection in foodstuffs.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Novo Nordisk Partners with Charlie Kimball and Chip Ganassi Racing. See also INDYCAR: Who The Heck Is Charlie Kimball? and An Interview Charlie Kimball, The World's Fastest Diabetic.
- Life with diabetes intense, emotional for children and parents.
- Russia Approves First Animal-to-Human Transplant Procedure.
- Diabetes and YouTube.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday December 22, 2010 11:50:49
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.