Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2011, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from March 25-27, 2011.
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
New This Week
- CWD is looking for positive stories about kids and their school nurse and coaching staff for publication in a national school nurse journal.
- Applications are now being accepted for the 2011 Diabetes Scholars Foundation college scholarships.
- Applications for the 2011 Novo Nordisk Donnelly Awards, which provide college scholarships for teens with type 1 who play tennis, are now available.
- Last week's poll asked readers readers how they learn to use a new glucose meter. This week's poll asks readers about the insulins they use.
- The Featured Book of the Week is 50 Secrets of the Longest Living People with Diabetes by Sheri R. Colberg, PhD, and Steven V. Edelman, MD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 5 year old daughter woke one morning low, so I gave her a couple of glucose tabs to suck on while I prepaired breakfast. She decided to go upstairs to wake her aunt who was visiting for the weekend. She woke her aunt and showed her the glucose tabs in her mouth. Her aunt asked her jokingly if she had candy for breakfast every morning to which my daughter replied, "Only on the mornings mummy says 'Jesus Christ.'"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you are watching a football game and report that your team is behind by 4 units and nobody thinks a thing of it.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Even though I keep increasing his Levemir dose, my son is still having high blood sugars around dinnertime. I don't think he is rebounding. What do you recommend?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Does school nurse always call to inform of lows?
Advocacy and Events
- The Capitol Chapter of the JDRF presents the 2011 JDRF Type 1 Diabetes Research Summit on Saturday, January 29, 2011 at the Bethesda North Marriott. Admission is free, but registration is required.
- The Kids 'n' Us 2011: Families Facing Diabetes Conference will be held on Saturday, April 30th, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Diabetes Sisters is hosting a Weekend for Women conference from April 29 - May 1, 2011 in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- The Parenting Diabetic Kids Family Getaway Weekend will be held at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont from September 9-11, 2011.
Studies and Surveys
- Families are encouraged to participate in a brief survey to gauge the interest in a resource center for families with children with type 1 diabetes.
- Adolescents and young adults (Ages 15-24) with type 1 diabetes and their parents are invited to participate in a study designed to better understand what helps people successfully find great diabetes care after they are ready to leave their pediatric diabetes team. The information learned from this study will help to design programs that will help people with diabetes transition from pediatric to adult providers in a happy and healthy way.
- The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, a part of the National Institutes of Health, is currently seeking people who recently have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes to volunteer for clinical research studies. These studies are being conducted by research teams across the United States.
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet is a group of studies looking at the prevention and early treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- DEFEND is a global study seeking newly diagnosed patients aged 12 to 45 to test an islet preserving medication.
- Joe Solowiejczyk and CWD.
- Dear Debbie: If You Were Here......
- Surviving the Diagnosis.
- Founding DiabetesSister, Brandy Barnes Talks About The 2011 Weekend For Women Conference.
- Back to School.
- JuicyMama's Top Ten List for 2011.
- Type 1 University, Up Close and Personal. See also What do I do now, Coach? A profile of diabetes coach Gary Scheiner.
- Why I'm against the "New Change for Type 1" Campaign…for the most part.
Diabetes Videos and Audio Presentations
- CWD presents It's Not Just a Numbers Game: Parenting the Child with Type 1 Diabetes with Joe Solowiejczyk.
- Alberto Pugliese, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Immunology and Microbiology, and Head of the Immunogenetics Program at the Diabetes Research Institute, joined Diabetes Living Today® for a breif radio program discussing pancreatic regeneration. (The audio control is at the bottom of the article.)
Products, Services and Books
- Nicole Johnson's Diabetes Recipe Makeovers can help you improve the nutritional value of your recipes and also enhance their taste.
- Your Diabetes Science Experiment is a new book by Ginger Vieira (order online). .
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist ameliorates renal injury through its anti-inflammatory action without lowering blood glucose level in a rat model of type 1 diabetes.
- Tests for Genetic Interactions in Type 1 Diabetes; Linkage and Stratification Analyses of 4,422 Affected Sib-Pairs.
- Coexistent Autoimmunity in Familial Type 1 Diabetes: Increased Susceptibility in Sib-Pairs?
- Association between glycemic control and short-term healthcare costs among commercially insured diabetes patients in the United States.
- Hemoglobin A1c and Mean Glucose in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- How and why do patients with Type 1 diabetes sustain their use of flexible intensive insulin therapy? A qualitative longitudinal investigation of patients' self-management practices following attendance at a Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating (DAFNE) course.
- Sugar-sweetened and diet beverage consumption is associated with cardiovascular risk factor profile in youth with type 1 diabetes.
- Are Estimates of Celiac Disease Rates Too High?
- Role of intestinal bacteria in gliadin-induced changes in intestinal mucosa: study in germ-free rats. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The anti-deamidated gliadin peptide antibodies unmask celiac disease in small children with chronic diarrhoea.
- Causes of Death in People With Celiac Disease Spanning the Pre- and Post-Serology Era: A Population-Based Cohort Study From Derby, UK.
- Mucosal Recovery and Mortality in Adults with Celiac Disease After Treatment With a Gluten-free Diet.
- Health And Safety Of Millions Of Canadians At Stake Over A Beer? Celiac Association Urges Government To Pass Labelling Regulations.
- Gluten-free meals extensive at UConn.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Interview With Nick Jonas, a Pop Star With a Conscience.
- Fight of a lifetime: Bruck hasn't let diabetes stop her.
- A mother's love brings a neighborhood to action.
- Justice Department defends banning CIDA aid worker; Diabetic barred from Afghanistan service.
- Vaccine For Diabetes.
- Novo Nordisk's new pen for children - NovoPen Echo(R) - wins GOOD DESIGN(TM) Award.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:40
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.