Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Cincinnati 2011, to be held at the Cincinnati Marriott North at Union Centre in West Chester, Ohio from March 25-27, 2011.
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Golf Fore Education to be held at Disney's Osprey Ridge Golf Course on Tuesday, July 5, 2011, the day before Friends for Life: Orlando 2011.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Annual International Conference 2011 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida from July 6-10, 2011.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada 2011 conference, to be held at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Canada from July 29-31, 2011.
- CWD's Friends for Life UK 2011 conference, to be held at Beaumont House, Old Windsor, Berkshire from October 28-30, 2011, is currently sold out.
New This Week
- diaTribe dialogue: Jeffrey Brewer Highlights JDRF's New Direction, Thoughts on the Cure, and Progress on the Artificial Pancreas Project.
- CWD is looking for positive stories about kids and their school nurse and coaching staff for publication in a national school nurse journal.
- Mikayla is 7 and was diagnosed in January 2011.
- Last week's poll asked readers about the insulins they use. This week's poll asks readers if diabetes has changed how well they sleep.
- The Featured Book of the Week is How Many Carbs is a Booger? by Richard and Rania Morrill, illustrated by Aaron Kraten.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 11 year old daughter sent me a text from school, "Left bludgeon kit at home." I thought, probably a good thing. I think she meant to send, "Left my blood kit at home."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child holds up a box in the grocery store and, when you ask "How much?", the nice bystander says "$2.99" and your child says, "15 carbs for one serving."
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
We've gotten conflicting information about the duration of Humalog. One doctor said two hours; another said four. So, is a two hour post meal test really accurate?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
JDRF going forward
- Students With Diabetes now has chapters at the University of South Florida, the University of Central Florida, and the University of Florida! Chapters are in the process of being formed at four other colleges too. Check out the new manual and the campus toolkit on www.studentswithdiabetes.com and check us out on facebook for updates, www.facebook.com/studentswithdiabetes.
Advocacy and Events
- The Kids 'n' Us 2011: Families Facing Diabetes Conference will be held on Saturday, April 30th, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Diabetes Sisters is hosting a Weekend for Women conference from April 29 - May 1, 2011 in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- The Parenting Diabetic Kids Family Getaway Weekend will be held at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont from September 9-11, 2011.
Studies and Surveys
- Families are encouraged to participate in a brief survey to gauge the interest in a resource center for families with children with type 1 diabetes.
- Adolescents and young adults (Ages 15-24) with type 1 diabetes and their parents are invited to participate in a study designed to better understand what helps people successfully find great diabetes care after they are ready to leave their pediatric diabetes team. The information learned from this study will help to design programs that will help people with diabetes transition from pediatric to adult providers in a happy and healthy way.
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet is a group of studies looking at the prevention and early treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- DEFEND is a global study seeking newly diagnosed patients aged 12 to 45 to test an islet preserving medication.
- JDRF Research Summit: The Who, What, When and Why of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Behind the Scenes of the Artificial Pancreas Human Trials.
- Living Alone with Diabetes.
- Death and Diabetes.
- Connected in Motion: Slipstream Blogfest 2011.
Diabetes Videos and Audio Presentations
- CWD presents It's Not Just a Numbers Game: Parenting the Child with Type 1 Diabetes with Joe Solowiejczyk.
- Video Blog Episode #20 - Your Diabetes Pizza Restaurant.
- "Andy and the Beats" read-through.
Products, Services and Books
- Allergy Free Kosher offers gluten-free, Kosher foods.
- Glucagon Receptor Knockout Prevents Insulin-Deficient Type 1 Diabetes in Mice. See also Rodent of the Week: A different approach to treating Type 1 diabetes and Destroying Glucagon Receptors May Cure Diabetes.
- Accelerated Insulin Pharmacokinetics and Improved Postprandial Glycemic Control in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes After Coadministration of Prandial Insulins With Hyaluronidase. (See also Halozyme Therapeutics Endocrinology Product Pipeline for more information.)
- The Possible Protective Role of Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 on Endothelium During the Meal and Evidence for an "Endothelial Resistance" to Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 in Diabetes .
- Urine C-Peptide Creatinine Ratio Is a Noninvasive Alternative to the Mixed-Meal Tolerance Test in Children and Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Of Mouse & Man: Frustrations and Excitements in Diabetes Research. (Requires Facebook account)
- Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Subjects With Type 1 Diabetes on Multiple Daily Injections Versus Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Therapy.
- Insufficient Sleep in Young Patients With Diabetes and Their Families.
- Frequency and Influencing Factors of Ketoacidosis at Diabetes Onset in Children and Adolescents - a Long-Term Study Between 1995 and 2009.
- Glucose Monitoring After Fruit Peeling: Pseudohyperglycemia When Neglecting Hand Washing Before Fingertip Blood Sampling; Wash your hands with tap water before you check blood glucose level.
- The utility of hemoglobin A1c at diagnosis for prediction of future glycemic control in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Increased Insulin Requirements During Exercise at Very High Altitude in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Celiac Disease and Autoimmune Thyroid Disease in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Clinical and HLA-Genotyping Results.
- Growth of children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Insulin Degludec in Type 1 Diabetes; A randomized controlled trial of a new-generation ultra-long-acting insulin compared with insulin glargine.
- Follow-Up of Children with Celiac Disease - Lost in Translation?
- History of gluten and its effects on celiac disease.
- Audiological Findings in Celiac Disease.
- Pet Talk: Show dog knows his business, and his gluten.
- Reader sheds some light on troubles of celiac disease.
- Cake mix doctor now has gluten-free recipes.
- Gluten-free and well-fed: the sneaky stuff.
Legal and Legislative
- Law helps diabetic students.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Student's show about living with diabetes inspires WCU interdisciplinary learning initiative.
- Audio of John Madden's comments about Jay Cutler.
- "Artificial pancreas" shows promise in pregnancy.
- The Quest for a Painless Way to Check Blood Sugar.
- Saskatchewan residents living with Type 1 diabetes come together at winter camp.
- Girl with diabetes helps other kids in the hospital by donating toys.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday February 02, 2011 15:44:15
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2013. Comments and Feedback.